• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoNintendo: "Getting the switch at gamestop might be a bit of a difficult endeavor"

Seriously, they are going to do like the NES classic and make it artificially rare aren't they?

Can someone explain how that benefits nintendo OR the gamers who want one?

Cause it seems like an incredibly stupid thing to me, Nintendo doesn't see any money from second-hand sales, the consumers who want to give Nintendo money to buy one can't because they are sold out, the ONLY people that benefit from this are scalpers and people who resell the few units that are released.

Imagine you are hearing all over the news and internet that the Switch is sold out everywhere and impossible to get. You personally don't want one now, but you might at some point soon. You are in a Best Buy and see one on the shelf. Usually you would just walk past it, because you weren't planning to buy one until later. But this is such a "hot" (read: understocked) item that you might just jump on the chance to buy it now instead of waiting, because who knows how long it'll be until you see another one available.

If you buy that, it's a win for artificial scarcity. And it happens more than you'd think.

I stopped by Gamestop this morning and the manager said that he "...just read the email.." that they were awaiting on allotment numbers before announcing preorders.

He seemed to think it's likely preorders would start Friday. *shrugs*

Of course nothing is official yet, but if history is any indicator, it's very likely.

Gonna keep my Wii U just in case. At least I can still play the new Zelda there if I can't get a hold of a Switch.

I got Friday off, so I might try an line up at least 30min before GS opens, just in case XD

Boke1879

I've been successful pre-ordering from BB in the past, so I'd definitely be fine ordering a Switch from them if they're available on the 13th.

Note that BB will pre-authorize the full amount of your pre-order from your bank immediately if you order using a debit card.

I fucking LOVE best buy. GCU has been so good to me and the rewards points add up. But that is by far my biggest "issue" with BB. I wish I could just place an order and just have them charge me when it ships.

Imagine you are hearing all over the news and internet that the Switch is sold out everywhere and impossible to get. You personally don't want one now, but you might at some point soon. You are in a Best Buy and see one on the shelf. Usually you would just walk past it, because you weren't planning to buy one until later. But this is such a "hot" (read: understocked) item that you might just jump on the chance to buy it now instead of waiting, because who knows how long it'll be until you see another one available.

If you buy that, it's a win for artificial scarcity. And it happens more than you'd think.

The problem when applying this logic to the NES Classic (and I'm focusing on that just because it's the most recent example) is that there was never a point where they capitalized on the demand. I mean, I get what people are arguing. Step one, hold back inventory to create demand. Step two, release inventory to satisfy the demand that you have created. It's genius!

But with the NES Classic, there was never a step 2. It's worth considering that there are other factors at play for why there's difficulty satisfying launch demand that aren't just companies using transparently obvious ploys to artificially create demand.

I've been successful pre-ordering from BB in the past, so I'd definitely be fine ordering a Switch from them if they're available on the 13th.

Note that BB will pre-authorize the full amount of your pre-order from your bank immediately if you order using a debit card.[/QUOTE]

I fucking LOVE best buy. GCU has been so good to me and the rewards points add up. But that is by far my biggest "issue" with BB. I wish I could just place an order and just have them charge me when it ships.

Yeah that's one good thing about Gamestop, you don't have to put down the full amount if preordering in store for systems. It's usually $50.

You mean walk past it and say hey I can make a quick buck scalping this baby then buying it.

The problem when applying this logic to the NES Classic is that there was never a point where they capitalized on that. I mean, I get what people are arguing. Step one, hold back inventory to create demand. Step 2, release inventory to satisfy the demand that you have created. It's genius!

But with the NES Classic, there was never a step 2. It's worth considering that there are other factors at play for why there's difficulty satisfying launch demand that aren't just companies using transparently obvious ploys to artificially create demand.

I mean I agree that it's weird that they haven't released more of them now.

But what could really be the holdup? Those things are probably $10 to make and are made with readily available parts. It's not like there's a special sensor or piece of tech in it that would make it hard to produce.

It seems almost unbelievable that Sony can manufacture more PS4s in one month than Nintendo can NES Classics in two.

But what could really be the holdup? Those things are probably $10 to make and are made with readily available parts. It's not like there's a special sensor or piece of tech in it that would make it hard to produce.

It seems almost unbelievable that Sony can manufacture more PS4s in one month than Nintendo can NES Classics in two.

Manufacturing is more than the price of the components.

Well, personally, I think people are really overestimating how profitable an NES Classic really is. I'm not saying that it isn't profitable. But I do think that perhaps there's a little more to the costs than just assuming it's all cheap parts and calling it a day. I think there are several things to consider: distribution costs, retail cut, third party licensing fees, and so on. Also, this does sort of undercut $5 a pop Virtual Console games. Further, there's no path to further monetize this thing. It's a one-and-done product.

My personal opinion is that this was conceived as a more niche product than people assume and that they had no big plans for it. I don't think there's a real master plan here. It was just a product to have out there at Christmas time.

Neonep

If Nintendo underships this thing, Microsoft and Sony should both drop the prices of their base level consoles to $200 for the Switch's launch month
Yeah, I mentioned that earlier. Might as well, both consoles are doing well, they can do a temporary price drop for a quick surge and capitalize off of a competitors mistake.

All the artificial scarcity nonsense that Nintendo does will eventually comeback to bite them in the ass, somebody just has to make them pay for it.

Neonep

Well, personally, I think people are really overestimating how profitable an NES Classic really is. I'm not saying that it isn't profitable. But I do think that perhaps there's a little more to the costs than just assuming it's all cheap parts and calling it a day. I think there are several things to consider: distribution costs, retail cut, third party licensing fees, and so on. Also, this does sort of undercut $5 a pop Virtual Console games. Further, there's no path to further monetize this thing. It's a one-and-done product.

My personal opinion is that this was conceived as a more niche product than people assume and that they had no big plans for it. I don't think there's a real master plan here. It was just a product to have out there at Christmas time.
They could easily only sell it on the Nintendo website and cut out the middle man. Nintendo just shit the bed on the NES classic.

Your post history suggests to me that not only do you not have any interest in Nintendo products whatsoever, but that you may have an active disinterest.

Just saying.

If that's the only way you want to read and then sure...but my disinterest for Nintendo is because I love gaming....but I heavily dislike having to go through loops to game and I simply don't have the patience for it. Unlike everyone else, it always seems like you have to do the most to get your hands on Nintendo hardware and software. On top of that, scalpers and consistent high prices that never go on sale is also a pain. Also the fact that they don't their digital homefront still requires work and something I truly can't depend on turns me off. So my general disinterest is all due to decision's that they have made that I'm tired of putting up with ...and that goes with everyone else as well.

There's too much things that I have to think about when it comes to Nintendo and it sours my experience. Its no secret that Nintendo games aren't my strong suit because of the lack of access I constantly have with the library but I'm tired of waiting and at this point, I was hoping that this was at least going to change with the Wii U and it didn't..so here we are with the switch and it feels like the same thing. Its lame to me so sorry if I'm not exactly thrilled at anything they do anymore. The NES Classic is exactly the type of issue I have with them and it just turns me off.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Just he's a big Nintendo fan but doesn't own a Wii U. Ok, I can understand that. Don't own a PS4 or Xbox One, ok can see that. I was like wow so you don't play games on console. Ok. Then (as I said up top) PC gaming and handhelds are what is left.

Well there's also a fair amount of portable/mobile only gamers here on GAF.

People that just don't have the time to game on a tv at home (or don't own a TV). People that just game on their commutes. Or have kids/SOs always using the TVs etc.

So it makes perfect sense that a Nintendo fan in that boat would be 3DS only. A Wii U could work for off TV if the problem was just other people hogging the TV I guess. But not if most of their gaming is outside the home.

Point being there are lots of different ways people can enjoy gaming. There's not right or wrong combination of (or single) platforms to own to be worthy of posting on GAF and keeping up with the industry.

Is it really a win when for every one sold that way there's three other people actively searching and attempting to buy one, but can't?

They could easily only sell it on the Nintendo website and cut out the middle man. Nintendo just shit the bed on the NES classic.

What does selling it on their website have to do with anything? Have you done the cost analysis to determine whether its worth the hassle? How does that solve manufacturing issues? Does selling it on your website solve the issue with the mass market apparently wanting it easily available?

I dont get what peoole are thinking here. Steve is right, this was conceived as a niche product and they never had any intentions of it being a mover to this capacity when they coordinated it. That's not artificial acarcity. That's demand being way higher than the supply you committed to.

I am having flash backs to the 360 launch. I literally got a Wii on launch day without a pre-order. Just as I was cashing up someone called the store to see if they had any. Felt sensational.

I'm working Friday so I hope UK retailers have their shit together by 8AM. I don't think I'll be able to pre-order one at work.

Just one retailer. Nintendo can pull all sorts of weird stuff like allocating too much stock to Japan or Nordic countries. I won't sweat it too much if I can't get one. I'm sure there will be some catch that makes me cancel the order eventually.

I'm super hyped for the Switch presentation but I am sticking with 3ds as my handheld of choice until more games come out for the Switch. Good luck to the rest of you

renzolama

This is some impressive marketing. They've found a way to start the artificial scarcity panic months before this one is even released. I can't wait to see what kind of marketing innovations we'll see from Nintendo in 2018.

7roject28

That doesn't mean anything. If you want one, then you will buy one. Doesn't matter when.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
What does selling it on their website have to do with anything? Have you done the cost analysis to determine whether its worth the hassle? How does that solve manufacturing issues? Does selling it on your website solve the issue with the mass market apparently wanting it easily available?

I dont get what peoole are thinking here. Steve is right, this was conceived as a niche product and they never had any intentions of it being a mover to this capacity when they coordinated it. That's not artificial acarcity. That's demand being way higher than the supply you committed to.

Only thing selling directly could help re: supply is making it a tad easier to cut down on scalplers. Limit to one per address/credit card. Vs. a lot of retailers that just don't give a shit as a sale is a sale, with even the most dilligent generally doing nothing but limiting to one per shipment. So yeah, probably not worth it.

I also wonder, in addition to just underestimating demand, how much internal worry they had about a successful NES classic killing potentially more profitable future Switch VC game sales. Why pay $5 a pop on their when you can get 30 that cover most peoples wants for $2 a pop by buying a Classic?

That doesn't mean anything. If you one, then you will buy one. Doesn't matter when.

Not necessarily. Many people impulse things based on buzz and hype. Those can pass.

Even for me a lot of times I buy games at launch due to hype from reading about them on GAF. I've worked on cutting that out and many games now I just end up never buying. That initial hype passed and there's other stuff I always want to play more than whatever I was hyped for in the past.

Not that I buy that Nintendo purposefully does artificial scarcity. But it is a thing. Especially at the holidays with kids. Shortages of things like furbies and what not over the years get a lot of media coverage and more kids whining about it being the one thing they want for Xmas and more parents desperate to give their kids what they want etc.

Phawx

I get that the NES classic is different, but the Wii "seemed" to be continually sold out for practically two years.

Honestly, if I can't get it through Amazon, I'll try one of the big box stores that'll have the space for larger orders like Best Buy. Using Gamestop feels like a waste of time.

JP

I can't imagine this is a surprise to anybody, really. It just seems to be the way they do things.

Although I'd imagine that many people on here who do really want one will be able to get one, I do wonder how this sort of stuff makes their 3rd part partners feel. Knowing that Nintendo may be intentionally reducing the number of sales they could potentially get at launch.

PSFan

Man, Nintendo needs to step it up on the stock. How much would it suck if parents went into the store to buy a Switch for their kids and it's just ridiculously sold out and they settle for a PS4 or Xbox One.

It's not the holiday season, lol. Parents aren't going to be buying the Switch until November.

Scalpers set to have a field day once again.

Thanks Nintendo.

a scalper's wet dream

But why? Scalpers prey on desperate parents who want the hot item for their kids for the holidays. This is completely different.

Nintendo is never going to ship the appropriate amount of stock for any console ever again. They love trying to increase demand by scarcity. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... but they are going to try it Every Single Time.
Wii shipped record amounts. Wii U and 3DS shipped more than enough to meet demand.

Phawx

It's not the holiday season, lol. Parents aren't going to be buying the Switch until November.

I was actually thinking about that. But then I saw Zelda might make it back as a launch title.

That's when shortages came back.

prag16

Banned
My tentative plan is to put in a preorder via Amazon. If I can't get one there I'll probably sit out the launch.

But why? Scalpers prey on desperate parents who want the hot item for their kids for the holidays. This is completely different.

After the Wii came out, some people were unable to find one in stores until 6 months to a year later if they were lucky.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
My tentative plan is to put in a preorder via Amazon. If I can't get one there I'll probably sit out the launch.

They can be hit or miss on whether they carry Nintendo hardware at all, or just through third party sellers.

Any reason not to consider other online options like Best Buy? Just as reliable in my experience, free release date shipping etc.

That's not the only area of demand, simply the hottest time of year.

Gamers are hardcore bunch, there are always fanboys, techies that have to early adopt etc. that will pay a premium if they can't find things for MSRP. Look how many people where buying Amiibo from scalpers no where near the holidays when they were scare and people didn't think there would be reprints. Hell, I stupidly paid $25-30 to import a couple.

jax

Banned
As someone who's never preordered a console and has owned every console day one, not worried. I'll be able to walk into any store and grab it day one. Just like with every console in history.

HeySeuss

The holdup is that they simply don't care to meet the demand for a flash in the pan nostalgia holiday item. Face it, the NES mini has a finite profit margin that may not be worth it to Nintendo to continue to invest in. Let's say they make 25 bucks a pop on those things. Which probably isn't too far off when you factor in the materials, packaging, shipping, and retail space necessary to complete the supply chain.

Not the least of which is the manufacturing run, that isn't controlled by Nintendo. They can't just say let me get another 1000 of this NES minis made real quick. It doesn't work that way. The manufacturer has multiple other vendors orders that are out in a que based on size and priority. You think foxconn calls up apple and says, hey I know you got these iPhone 7's that we're building but Nintendo didn't order enough of the NES minis so we got to hold your production line so they can get some more out into stores. There is a minimum order that is required for the manufacturing line and maybe Nintendo doesn't see the demand for as many as they need to order right away.

The NES mini was nothing more than a holiday moneygrab because they had nothing else to push. It got them through and created some brand awareness leading up to the switch. The mini isn't a product that they can continually make money off of because it is a one time purchase. Their focus will be on the Switch so people will buy games which continually makes Nintendo money. Unlike the mini which from a business standpoint isn't worth the return in the investment.

DJIzana

If that leaked image of titles is to be believed, I hope the Mon Hun game actually is a new Mon Hun and not a port of XX.

This might be the only time I've ever planned to pre-order a console from two separate dealers. Thirst for Switch is REAL!!! (I have an hour long bus commute every weekday....2 hours of Zelda, Mario, or Kart a day?!!? Hell YES!!!! In my veins!!!)

If they announce rocket league for this thing I think I just might have a stroke. *Insert frothing Fry.gif

JaseMath

Uh...no they don't and no it's not. Scalpers prey on people who actually want to purchase a product that's in limited supply. Time of year or walk of life makes little difference; it's all about the profit.

Dynheart

Banned
I really don't see the issue. If the Switch is popular as people are speculating, it will not matter how many Nintendo ships at launch at a reasonable amount. They will sell out almost instantly, if not, day one.

So if they go conservative the first batch, which will sell out day one anyway, there's that chance where they wont get burned by over-shipping and sitting an a bunch of inventory (Wii U situaton)...all the while gauging consumer interest.

People have stated before that internet hype does not translate into actual sales, and this is very true. People could just be jumping on the hype train because it's fun. The interests of a new console on the horizon...but when it's all said and done, when it comes to pony up some money...a lot of people just don't buy day one.

I think Nintendo being conservative is probably the correct choice, as even we cannot say for certain that the Switch will be a hit of a miss..neither can Nintendo. But if one things for sure, the thing will sell out no matter how many units they ship (with in a reasonable amount) day one. It's a new console!

maxcriden

I haven't been able to keep up with the thread, is there any corroboration for the info in the OP?

Given Kimishima's comments about 2M units and being able to increase production if demand is larger, and given there will surely be some pre-orders available (?) unlike with NES Classic which had next to none, I was hoping there would be units available for those wishing to preorder.

I get that the NES classic is different, but the Wii "seemed" to be continually sold out for practically two years.

I've heard so many stories about game stores getting 2 Wiis with every shipment. The store would request thirty, they would get 2. They would request 50, they would get 2. I got mine on launch day, but most other people I knew couldn't get them at regular retail stores for years. There was a sign on every Target window saying "WE HAVE NO NINTENDO WIIS". Having one was exciting because it seemed like nobody else did.

Just an anecdote.

I've heard so many stories about game stores getting 2 Wiis with every shipment. The store would request thirty, they would get 2. They would request 50, they would get 2. I got mine on launch day, but most other people I knew couldn't get them at regular retail stores for years. There was a sign on every Target window saying "WE HAVE NO NINTENDO WIIS". Having one was exciting because it seemed like nobody else did.

Just an anecdote.

We tasked my mother in law to look for them because she lives near like 4 Gamestops. She went into one that had Wii display boxes stacked in front of the window and asked for one. When they told her they didn't and had no idea when they would she destroyed their display.

Mister Wolf

Gonna keep my Wii U just in case. At least I can still play the new Zelda there if I can't get a hold of a Switch.

I got Friday off, so I might try an line up at least 30min before GS opens, just in case XD

Don't play the new Zelda with constant frame drops on the Wii U. You owe it to yourself not to.

//ARCANUM

As someone who's never preordered a console and has owned every console day one, not worried. I'll be able to walk into any store and grab it day one. Just like with every console in history.

um. wat?

by "walk in", do you mean potentially line up for 12+hrs? While I don't know if the Switch will be properly stocked, there have been *plenty* of console releases where they were very difficult to get without camping out.

I personally waited in line for about 8 hrs to get a Nintendo Wii at launch. And then it was next to impossible to get for a *long* time.

Balb

Just an anecdote.

I don't know how the store-to-store distribution shook out but I remember the monthly sales being pretty high in the US, like 400-600k/month.

We tasked my mother in law to look for them because she lives near like 4 Gamestops. She went into one that had Wii display boxes stacked in front of the window and asked for one. When they told her they didn't and had no idea when they would she destroyed their display.
Wow!

jax

Banned
um. wat?

by "walk in", do you mean potentially line up for 12+hrs? While I don't know if the Switch will be properly stocked, there have been *plenty* of console releases where they were very difficult to get without camping out.

I personally waited in line for about 8 hrs to get a Nintendo Wii at launch. And then it was next to impossible to get for a *long* time.
You just gotta know where to go to lineup. Weirder stores like Costco always get a stock with no line. Ezpz to walk up and buy whatever.

Top Bottom