• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your thoughts on the "Dark Age" of Sonic?

Were there any games you liked from this period?

uv82qll4v8301.png

Shifty

On topic, I enjoyed Shadow at the time because I was a dumb edgy fanboy teenager. In retrospect it's straight trash.

Not even the fanboy goggles could have made 06 look good, though I do remember hoping that they'd patch it up and eventually make it a good game. lol.

Secret Rings was fun and had a kickass soundtrack. I was disappointed that it was another gimmicky Wii spinoff, but in the grand scheme of things it's probably the best game on that list.
That, and darkspine sonic was the hot shit since I was as-yet uneducated in the field of anime trope form changes.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
1998 to 2008 was the dark age

Sonic Unleashed doesn't get enough credit because of the Werehog shit(which was actually decent)
but that was an awesome game with an amazing OST

Everything after Sonic R and before Unleashed was garbage

I thought the adventure games were bad even at the time

Burn0ut

Neo Member
You know why Sonic is still famous?
Besides all the games of course..

It’s because of it’s design, how he looks
Sonic’s design, how he looks and his characteristics are brilliant

Ohshima’s genius design

You know why Sonic is still famous?
Besides all the games of course..

It's because of it's design, how he looks
Sonic's design, how he looks and his characteristics are brilliant

Ohshima's genius design

In the Dark Age games I remember his design looking janky/shit i.e. in Heroes (debatable if it was dark age) and Shadow he's shiny for no reason with stiff facial expressions. And in 06 his limbs are really long, his expressions are plasticy, and he didn't fit at all in a photo-realistic human world. They made it better and more refined by Colors/Generations with a more Pixar-esque art direction.

Before you call me Chris chan, I'd like to clarify that these were the least of the games' problems.

PaulBizkit

The dark age did not end in 2010

fpbp

It didn't end, it's still dark but there are like 3 good games now ("now" as in, the past 6 years): colours, generations and mania.

And, besides, wasn't Sonic Adventure 1 on the DC the last GOOD sonic game? that was in 1999 at the latest

fpbp

It didn't end, it's still dark but there are like 3 good games now ("now" as in, the past 6 years): colours, generations and mania.

And, besides, wasn't Sonic Adventure 1 on the DC the last GOOD sonic game? that was in 1999 at the latest
I thought Mania from 2017 was the last good Sonic game.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Edit. If we're counting Sonic and Sega racing. Then that.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is far and away the best Sonic game ever made to me. I guess that says more about my preferences than Sonic though, and many wouldn't consider it a Sonic game, obviously.

bloomorte

I have enjoyed almost all games that came after Unleashed (and unleashed as well), but I'm hesitant about Sonic Forces.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sonic games I liked in your era:

- Sonic & the Secret Rings
- Sonic Unleashed 360 (and less so, but still enjoyable: Unleashed Wii)
- Sonic Colours Wii

- Sonic Rush
- Sonic Rush Adventure
- Sonic Colours DS

- Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
- Sonic Rivals
- Sonic Rivals 2

There were two shitty mainline games in a row, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog, I'd hardly call this an age though.

jobrro

I enjoyed Sonic Chronicles and Sonic 4 at the time. Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure were great. Fantastic music and was a great concept early in the DS life. Sonic Rush came out 12 years ago... that's insane.

Also played Sonic '06. Was pretty hyped for it but obviously it was a let down, much the way Forces seems to be to a lesser extent(which I am waiting for a DEEP discount for).

Haven't played Secret Rings but it is on my to do list.

kunonabi

Secret Rings is pretty much my favorite Sonic game but that's about it. It's a real shame how badly they handled Black Knight though.

Silvawuff

I've been disinterested in Sonic since SA2. Mania was a definite start; it is a light in a sea of overhyped and under-performing Sonic titles. I hope Sega adopts a "more like this" approach with the classic-style Sonic games.

I also think Knuckles' Chaotix is an oft unspoken lost game that really deserves a remake/port.

Top Bottom