• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

1: Yes, this is actually used as a strategy. Go high on lifting days, lower on rest days.
2: It doesn't massively, as long as you're staying within your overall calorie targets and making sure you hit a minimum set amount of fat and protein (you do definitely need a certain amount of fat and protein if you're looking to put on muscle).
3: No idea.

entremet

So, as I mentioned before, I've been undergoing physical therapy for my elbow injury a while back and something occurred to me. So my injury only prevents me from doing press movements, but pulling movements are totally fine. So basically, I can still build my biceps, but the triceps are going to be lagging far behind. With that being the case, is it bad idea if I continue trying to build my biceps in the sense that it will cause muscle imbalance?

Don't worry about muscle imbalances. It's such a minor thing right now.

You're also a novice if I recall. Your whole body is a weak part lol. No offense. Continue to train consistently and add the movements once you're ready for them. Thinking of major muscle imbalances as a novice is not something you need to worry about. Muscle takes a lot of time build.

sphinx

the piano man
my life changes are paying off, I feel a lot healthier, have more energy and am in a better mood thah before.

the most important change has been definitely to eat breakfast. I love taking my protein cereal mixed with a banana and oatmeal. It's delicious.

I also found a brand of protein shake with straciatella flavor that is good on my stomach and tastes very very good, really like it

I also bought BCAA for the first time but it's to early to talk about changes.

oh and I also hit the gym lol, I am actually liking it again, I remember complaining in this thread just two weeks ago but I think that these changes in my food did the trick, I had no energy by the time I was heading to the gym and I hated everything about it, I feel better now and I suddenly like the gym again. not sure how that works but I'll take it.

I will cross-post from instagram cause it's very very rare that I like how I look these days and I think I look like I hit the gym here, casual af maybe but I feel good about myself
(I know nipple looks weird, gotta buy a shirt with the right size)

(edited, cause photobucket sucks)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Don't worry about muscle imbalances. It's such a minor thing right now.

You're also a novice if I recall. Your whole body is a weak part lol. No offense. Continue to train consistently and add the movements once you're ready for them. Thinking of major muscle imbalances as a novice is not something you need to worry about. Muscle takes a lot of time build.

Oh okay cool. Thanks!

Draper

I've always mixed my protein shakes with whole milk, but now I'm starting to reconsider the drawbacks of doing that I.e. Saturated fat- high cholesterol etc.

What do you guys think?

Poison-

Neo Member
I've always mixed my protein shakes with whole milk, but now I'm starting to reconsider the drawbacks of doing that I.e. Saturated fat- high cholesterol etc.

What do you guys think?

Milk with a lower fat content is an easy answer, though I don't personally think you have anything to worry about with whole milk if you drink it in moderation.

What do you guys think?

It's not a big deal unless you're drinking a ton of milk a day. If you want to save some calories you can switch to low fat, almond, coconut, or soy milk.

Draper

Milk with a lower fat content is an easy answer, though I don't personally think you have anything to worry about with whole milk if you drink it in moderation.

It's not a big deal unless you're drinking a ton of milk a day. If you want to save some calories you can switch to low fat, almond, coconut, or soy milk.

Thanks guys, I usually drink it with a large bowl of cereal and add about 400 ml to a protein shake each day.

Kinda got this skinny-fat thing going on at the moment, ha.

KillerBEA

What do you guys think?
Dont worry about it, its not like youre drinking almost a gallon a day...

Draper

It's such a conundrum. I'm skinny but with a stomach, so I'm both trying to gain muscle by adding calories and lift but also flatten through nutrition and running.

Of course I fucked up my shoulder through probably improper pushups so now everything is just... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Finally found this thread, hurray.

Full body workouts, are they good or bad?

Depends on the movement, and your goals. But think of it like compound movements, they're essentially time savers when you consider the amount of muscles they reach.

It's such a conundrum. I'm skinny but with a stomach, so I'm both trying to gain muscle by adding calories and lift but also flatten through nutrition and running.

Of course I fucked up my shoulder through probably improper pushups so now everything is just... ¯_(ツ)_/¯

If you dont have a base yet its possible to lose the gut and put on mass. Just don't eat two days worth of calories in one day in an effort to put on weight as quickly as possible.

Depends on the workout. We need more details
I just started last week, I start with three exercises on free weights then the rest on equipment.

Depends on the movement, and your goals. But think of it like compound movements, they're essentially time savers when you consider the amount of muscles they reach.
My goal is to make my arms look bigger and maybe to have a slim stomach. Abs would be nice, just so I can surprise a lot of people.

In general, fullbody is superior for novices, but if you honestly want to train a different way then go ahead. Higher frequency is a necessity for naturals though
So it's better for me to do that? What are "naturals"?

Basically I don't really want to look buff, just lean and muscled, if that makes sense.

Naturals are those who don't use steroids.

Do the routine in the OP tbh.

Look up Starting Strength, you'll do squats, bench press, overhead press, and deadlifts.

You don't just 'get buff' btw, but if you do Starting Strength and eat well you'll lose fat and gain muscle

Bought some pre-workout as I wasn't enjoying how full I still felt after taking my usual self-made pwo shake. Had a full scoop instead of the recommended half scoop and my face and arms started to tingle, heart was racing, felt like I'd had 4 large cups of coffee in quick succession. Had a great workout though, performed more reps in every exercise than I usually do, but ended up feeling nauseous for 2 hours after. I still felt buzzed when I went to bed like 6 hours later lol.

Lesson learned - don't fuck with pre-workout.

Naturals are those who don't use steroids.

Do the routine in the OP tbh.

Look up Starting Strength, you'll do squats, bench press, overhead press, and deadlifts.

You don't just 'get buff' btw, but if you do Starting Strength and eat well you'll lose fat and gain muscle
Can I add more to the routines in the OP? I have never tried lifting with a barbell yet though, I know it's puny but I can only manage 5 kilograms on each arm right now.

By the way, I tried loading the "Death to Cardio" link and it just wouldn't load. It os quite interesting for me since the post says don't do 5k everyday. I've been doing that for at least a month and I'm quite lean now, to the point where people think I got sick without them knowing because the weight I've lost is quite a lot, to put it mildly. None of my pants stay on now without a belt. Also, I've been called sexy when people saw me on a recent swimming outing.

lenovox1

Can I add more to the routines in the OP? I have never tried lifting with a barbell yet though, I know it's puny but I can only manage 5 kilograms on each arm right now.

Sure, but there's absolutely no point if you've never lifted with a barbell and you want to begin a barbell strength training routine.

Sure, but there's absolutely no point if you've never lifted with a barbell and you want to begin a barbell strength training routine.
So I need to build up my strength first? How long do these routines take? A friend told me I should be at the gym for 2 hours, 1 hour at the very least.

Is it bad to swim after the gym?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
So I need to build up my strength first? How long do these routines take? A friend told me I should be at the gym for 2 hours, 1 hour at the very least.

Should only take you one hour when doing one major compound lift and three accessory lifts. This also depends on how many sets you do and if you time your rest between your accessory sets. Two hours could be considered excessive.

I would consider swimming as cardio, which would be fine. Just make sure youre eating enough and not allowing a deficit diet plus the calories burned in the gym and pool to put you in too much of a deficit.

You dont need to spend 2 hours in the gym, Most of the time im out of there in 30-45 minutes depending on what im doing. Work out hard, eat a proper diet, and sleep 8 hours a day.

You will get stronger.

Sup peeps. Mostly lurk in this thread these days but it is great to see new faces come in and wanting to get their shit together. It is all inspiring and fun!

A bit of an update for me. Strength gains aren't a goal for me atm. I might try to push harder this fall/winter but right now, I want to focus on conditioning and "shaping" my body. I've been doing more slow contracted reps at lighter weight to focus more on the muscle/mind connection. Barbell hip thrusts and deep hack squats and leg presses have been what I do mostly on leg days. Recently switched up to guillotine bench press and various high flys to focus on building the upper part of my pec.Also started to get into floor presses and they are something else.

Diet is always the hardest part but I do my best! Still hovering around 240. Goal is still 220.

Should only take you one hour when doing one major compound lift and three accessory lifts. This also depends on how many sets you do and if you time your rest between your accessory sets. Two hours could be considered excessive.

I would consider swimming as cardio, which would be fine. Just make sure youre eating enough and not allowing a deficit diet plus the calories burned in the gym and pool to put you in too much of a deficit.
I do 3 sets with 10 counts each. My current routine is this:

Dumb bells:
- lift them both from the waist to the chest by bending the arms inwards
- lift them both from the waist to the chest by bending arms sideways(half, anyway, can't do full stretch yet)
- bench press dumb bells

Equipment:
- weights with ropes that you pull vertically downwards towards your waist
- same equipment above except you use something like the end of a shovel to pull the weight upwards to your chest this time
- that equipment where there's a pole attached to a rope then you pull the weights like it's a barbell
- another equipment where you pull something looking like a bike's handles towards you, and your feet is stretched and you're sitting
- you sit on a dentist's chair and you lift weights using your feet

Regarding swimming on that day I run 2 kilometer towards the gym, then hit the gym, then swim. All good still?

You dont need to spend 2 hours in the gym, Most of the time im out of there in 30-45 minutes depending on what im doing. Work out hard, eat a proper diet, and sleep 8 hours a day.

You will get stronger.
I am not sure what constitutes a proper diet but it's quite reassuring to hear you and BlueTsunami say that I don't need to spend a lot of time in the gym. Anyway I probably can just afford to go there twice a week. Is that alright?

I mainly want to build my arms, chest, and abs. I hope I'm doing at least one or two compound exercises towards my goal.

I do 3 sets with 10 counts each. My current routine is this:

Dumb bells:
- lift them both from the waist to the chest by bending the arms inwards
- lift them both from the waist to the chest by bending arms sideways(half, anyway, can't do full stretch yet)
- bench press dumb bells

Equipment:
- weights with ropes that you pull vertically downwards towards your waist
- same equipment above except you use something like the end of a shovel to pull the weight upwards to your chest this time
- that equipment where there's a pole attached to a rope then you pull the weights like it's a barbell
- another equipment where you pull something looking like a bike's handles towards you, and your feet is stretched and you're sitting
- you sit on a dentist's chair and you lift weights using your feet

Regarding swimming on that day I run 2 kilometer towards the gym, then hit the gym, then swim. All good still?

I am not sure what constitutes a proper diet but it's quite reassuring to hear you and BlueTsunami say that I don't need to spend a lot of time in the gym. Anyway I probably can just afford to go there twice a week. Is that alright?

I mainly want to build my arms, chest, and abs. I hope I'm doing at least one or two compound exercises towards my goal.

Download myfitnesspal, it will ask you your height, weight, sex, age, etc and it will give you a pretty good idea of how many calories you need to eat to gain weight.

Basically, your body has a number of calories it needs to maintain its weight (for the sake of argument, lets say its 2000 calories). If you want to lose weight you simply subtract 250-500 calories from that, if you want to gain weight, you add 250-500 calories.

I would also recommend working out more than just chest, arms, and abs but thats your choice of course.

Okay, I'll download that app. What else can I work on? I just want to look lean and toned, I don't want to look ripped.

As an aside I feel good right now about myself. This pretty woman dropped something so I picked it up and gave it to her and her smile is something I'll never forget. Sure, it must be just gratitude but I'd like to think I look good now :)

Post pump and filters and all the carbs

9vmi6FM_d.jpg

brawly

How many exercises and sets do you guys do per muscle group in one workout?

I've made some good gains over the last year but I feel like I hit a wall, so I want to do less with more weight. I was doing like 6-8 exercises for the back and now realize it's way more than anyone does.

So sorry for a dumb question, but if there id no such thing as targeting a body part, why are there exercises for muscle groups?

Generally when people say there is no such thing as targeting a body part, they are talking about body fat.

Your body allocates fat gradually throughout the body. However, for a man the bulk of their fat resides in waist/stomach area.

For a woman, the bulk of it forms in the the thighs and breasts.

People who are slightly overweight tend to only have noticeable fat in those areas, and generally otherwise look like skinny people when covered in clothing. This often leads them to look for methods to target the fat in "just those areas." And focus heavily on exercises that hit the muscles in those areas. (like crunches, or thigh blasters for instance)

However individual exercises don't burn a lot of fat, so only targeting a few muscle groups won't get you the results you're looking for.

KillerBEA

How many exercises and sets do you guys do per muscle group in one workout?

I've made some good gains over the last year but I feel like I hit a wall, so I want to do less with more weight. I was doing like 6-8 exercises for the back and now realize it's way more than anyone does.

Probably could get away with picking 3-4 of your favorites and doing them more often. Especially if you only work back 1 day a week.

Generally when people say there is no such thing as targeting a body part, they are talking about body fat.

Your body allocates fat gradually throughout the body. However, for a man the bulk of their fat resides in waist/stomach area.

For a woman, the bulk of it forms in the the thighs and breasts.

People who are slightly overweight tend to only have noticeable fat in those areas, and generally otherwise look like skinny people when covered in clothing. This often leads them to look for methods to target the fat in "just those areas." And focus heavily on exercises that hit the muscles in those areas. (like crunches, or thigh blasters for instance)

However individual exercises don't burn a lot of fat, so only targeting a few muscle groups won't get you the results you're looking for.
Does this mean that if the fat is almost depleted when you build muscle you can target body parts now?

Poison-

Neo Member
Does this mean that if the fat is almost depleted when you build muscle you can target body parts now?
You can target body parts for muscle growth. You can't target body parts for fat loss though. Muscle and fat don't work the same.

E.g. Doing bicep curls won't make you lose fat on your arms, but it will make your biceps stronger/bigger.

sphinx

the piano man
Sphinx and FE looking beastly!

thanks :) we gotta show all new FitGaf members progress pics
selfies
are part of the experience.

Welcome everyone who introduced themselves recently, by the way!

also, what's old-fitgaf up to, everyone who was a regular here some OTs ago? come back people!

Szu

selfies

also, what's old-fitgaf up to, everyone who was a regular here some OTs ago? come back people!

Don't close the coffin on me yet. I'm still alive.

Astral

Can someone give me a guess as to what my body fat percentage is? I'm still 158 and have stayed that weight for two weeks now. I guess I haven't eaten as much as I thought I have.

IMG_0949.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
selfies

I'm still here, mostly lurking after my 655lb deadlift there hasn't been much to post. Had some stuff go on that set me back but I'm back on track now. Just don't feel the need to post here nearly as much and the rest of Neogaf annoys the shit out of me.

Can someone give me a guess as to what my body fat percentage is? I'm still 158 and have stayed that weight for two weeks now. I guess I haven't eaten as much as I thought I have.

IMG_0949.jpg

Judging by some charts i've seen online, i would guess around 15%. Obviously that could be way off though. You can buy some cheap fat measurement tools online. Some where you pinch your fat and measure, others where it sends a small electrical signal through your body to determine body fat %. They can be off too though, its really hard to get an accurate reading.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

IMG_0949.jpg
I would say in the 15% range, but I'm no expert.

You can target body parts for muscle growth. You can't target body parts for fat loss though. Muscle and fat don't work the same.

E.g. Doing bicep curls won't make you lose fat on your arms, but it will make your biceps stronger/bigger.
Nice. I've shed almost all my fat, gonna go hard on the routines now. Thanks!

I just want to share, ever since I've lost a lot of weight, a lot of people have been inspired by me to take up physical activities. I was quite fat before, I think I registered obese on the physical exam. But in the span of two months I was able to lose weight by running and eating a bit right I think. It feels so good. I've never looked this good before. I'm wondering what could've been if I started much earlier. So if you're reading this and hesitating: don't. Go out there, find something you want to do that you love, you'll be in shape in no time.

Astral

Judging by some charts i've seen online, i would guess around 15%. Obviously that could be way off though. You can buy some cheap fat measurement tools online. Some where you pinch your fat and measure, others where it sends a small electrical signal through your body to determine body fat %. They can be off too though, its really hard to get an accurate reading.

I would say in the 15% range, but I'm no expert.

That's two saying 15%. I'll take it. I still wanna gain at least 10 more pounds before I have to cut again but I'm always worried about that body fat percentage.

Nelo Ice

Banned
selfies

I'm in the middle of a cut. Down about 6 or 8 lbs. Though felt guilty I cheated today for a family bbq that I was only there for an hour lol. Especially since Saturday was my usual cheat day and I'm absurdly strict the other 6 days of the week . Besides that still doing 5/3/1 with joker sets and first set last though I haven't been able to do joker sets in awhile.

Also my OHP stalled again but I finally broke through the 115lb plateau and got to 130lbx1 in the past year. So I can feel a 135lb OHP hopefully coming sometime this year. Besides that my other lifts aren't bad and I really need to get chalk since I swear not having it is limiting my deadlifts. I hate the feeling when I have the energy and I feel like I can lift over 3 plates but have no grip strength :(.

So today I couldn't find the 5kg dumbbells so I settled for the 10kg ones. I managed curls and the bench press but good grief the lateral raise is so hard.

Going to start 5x5 strong lifts today to get a bit stronger/burn some excess fat (2 stones worth I reckon). Alongside a couple of hours martial arts a week.

Edit, turns out 5x5 should also help with flexibility some more if done with a good stretching routine.

Top Bottom