• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo gets Monolith Soft from Bandai-Namco

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Hcoregamer00 said:
That is pretty cool, Nintendo could whip them into shape and turn them into an RPG powerhouse. I mean that is one genre that Nintendo really needs. They need a division that does good RPG's.

(this will get picked on so much :lol )
*crys more*

Camelot... :(

ivysaur12 said:

Tri-crescendo did just about everything worth caring about.

I sorta wished they'd bought tri-ace. Then I wouldn't have to worry about not being to afford the system VP3 ends up on.

CAPCOWNED

Banned
Link said:
I can already tell you're not gonna be around long.

Not wanting Nintendo to start buying developers left and right = Nintendo hating fanboy that should be banned, right?

*looks at avatar*

Oh, now I understand...

ivysaur12

Banned
jj984jj said:
logo.gif

Stop ruining my happy moment.

EDIT: Monolith wrote BKO. And they had their developers in every aspect of the game (sometimes more and sometimes less than tri-Crescendo). tri-Crescendo didn't do everything related to the game structure.

Link

The Autumn Wind
CAPCOWNED said:
Not wanting Nintendo to start buying developers left and right = Nintendo hating fanboy that should be banned, right?

*looks at avatar*

Oh, now I understand...
I wasn't referring to just that post.

soco

duckroll said:
We've been over this. Monolithsoft's staff were the art direction staff. They handled the scenario, the art and the art direction. Tri-Crescendo contributed the game design, the programming and the music and sound elements.

sorry i missed that. i just saw quite a few posts with people saying that monolith were responsible for BK alone, and very few mentioning tri-crescendo. didn't read everyone though, but just thought i'd point it out in case they didn't.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I guess they got sick of stock piling cash and this was a decent place to spend it. Since the DS prints money a few weeks and the vault should be at a safe 5+ billion in cash lol. Granted some new factories for the DS/Wii would of made me more happy so I can get a Wii before nights hits.

ethelred

The Black Brad Pitt said:
I thought nintendo were against buying companies because once talent leaves you have nothing.

That's not a potential problem with Monolith Soft -- there isn't any talent.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ethelred said:
That's not a potential problem with Monolith Soft -- there isn't any talent.

Nintendo bought them so they could use the building to store all their money.

Mardak

I wonder what this means in terms of music..

Also, the main attraction of the Baten Kaitos games is the battle system which tri-Crescendo made.

Wait, maybe Nintendo bought them so they'd **** up royally.

You know the whole self handicapping idea? So that if they totally blaze and win the generation they can sit back and say to MS and Sony "Yeah so what? WE BOUGHT MONOLITHSOFT AND THEY MADE XENOTURD AND WE STILL WON."

jj984jj

Pureauthor said:
Tri-crescendo did just about everything worth caring about.

I sorta wished they'd bought tri-ace. Then I wouldn't have to worry about not being to afford the system VP3 ends up on.
Aren't they making Infinite Undiscovery right now?

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Nintendo bought them so they could use the building to store all their money.
Iwata: Our Monies! We have no place left to print them.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Dragona Akehi said:
Wait, maybe Nintendo bought them so they'd **** up royally.

You know the whole self handicapping idea? So that if they totally blaze and win the generation they can sit back and say to MS and Sony "Yeah so what? WE BOUGHT MONOLITHSOFT AND THEY MADE XENOTURD AND WE STILL WON."

That's just plain mean :lol

Jonnyram

I'm pretty confident Tri-Crescendo didn't want to make another BK game, and that Nintendo has got the rights to the IP out of this deal. I think Nintendo wants to continue the franchise but noone else did.

USD

Oh wow, is Xenosaga really that bad? I was going to buy Episode I yesterday (if I could have found an original version of the game), and I'm still going to buy it, but GAF is making it sound like the worst shit ever.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Segata Sanshiro said:
Dude, I'd buy TOSE. They're responsible for what, 85% of all games released?

Anyway, I look forward to Super Mario Existential Philosophy Musings.

Yeah, I was thinking that taking TOSE away from Square Enix would probably cut their output down by like 400%.

Those TOSE ninjas are unbelievable. I can't believe they worked on freaking Madden.

Dragmire

Maybe one night, while partying with their dump trucks full of money, Iwata, on a drunken dare from Miyamoto, pulled out his change purse and bought Monolith Soft.

Sirusjr

Banned
The xenosaga games are awesome
as a long anime with lame gameplay in between story sequences
but thats why I love them. The story is absolutely fantastic to experience across three games. At least the gameplay isnt as random as the lame card battles in BK.

Speevy

Banned
All jokes about Monolith sucking ass aside, don't we need more Wii games?

There still aren't that many planned.

jj984jj

*wonders what happened to Xenosaga III lovers*

I know there were more than 1.

USD said:
Oh wow, is Xenosaga really that bad? I was going to buy Episode I yesterday (if I could have found an original version of the game), and I'm still going to buy it, but GAF is making it sound like the worst shit ever.
I liked the first one, the second one was complete shit, and I haven't played the third.

Jonnyram said:
No. No. NOOOOO.
That's TRI-ACE!
*looks at Pureauthor's post again*

I know it's TRI-ACE!

Speevy said:
All jokes about Monolith sucking ass aside, don't we need more Wii games?

There still aren't that many planned.
Unfortunately selling nearly 6 million units in 5 months doesn't get quite the high-quality 3rd party support you'd expect. :/

ivysaur12

Banned
jj984jj said:

I liked the first one, the second one was complete shit, and I haven't played the third.

The third almost makes up for #2.

Avrum

Dragona Akehi said:
WTF? Of all the developers to buy out. I bet they "replace" Takahashi. Permanently. That would be for the best.

This news would be better if tri-Cresendo would be involved in their next project.

Baten Kaitos' license shouldn't be a problem: Nintendo published BKII both sides of the Pacific. I bet Namco couldn't wait to get rid of the license.

Please BKIII. With tri-Cresendo.

Hi, my name is Avrum.

And I love you...err, your suggestion.

More BK indeed please!

jj984jj said:

The Kotex Clone experiment was a massive failure. With this news, the Kotex Clan have pre-emtively TERMINATED themselves.

P.R.O.J.E.C.T. T.E.R.M.I.N.A.T.E.D.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Dragona Akehi said:
The Kotex Clone experiment was a massive failure. With this news, the Kotex Clan have pre-emtively TERMINATED themselves.

P.R.O.J.E.C.T. T.E.R.M.I.N.A.T.E.D.

So the Kids Next Door were involved?

probune

If Monolith Soft can make an RPG that plays as well as Xenosaga Episode 3 again then haters am owned.

But I doubt it. They only have 33% chance of success since the other two games in the series were awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom