• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War: Judgement - final boxart

lock if old

Orange and blue - check
The main protagonist (a white middle-aged dude + a woman and a black man in the background) - check
Sparks from fire/explosion - check
Frown on faces (a woman and a black dude look like they're having an orgasm) - check

While you can say that DUDE THIS IS GEARS OF WAR PEOPLE LOVE THIS I somehow imagine how an average dude strolls into some retail chain, sees the boxart and just thinks that he has played this game already and goes further to buy something else.

And then we have declining retail sales.

3s1uqp.jpg

edit- I didn't realize it said "ejaculated" rather than "escalated"

And you know what, I don't care

All they did is remove the people in that second cover, I guess people just hate the generic character look more than the generic color palette and sparks trope.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
well, at least they would actually take a box and look at the back. Not just pass by.

This.

Generic looking box art just makes people pass on things.

Back years ago when I actually use to walk into a store and look for games to buy (rather than online or knowing what I am getting before I walk in), I would look for intriguing box art, then turn it over to read about it, see some in game shots, etc, and judge if I would really like to purchase it.

This is why PC boxes were awesome, not only where they huge, but they would open up to reveal tons about the game, and awesome screenshots, etc.

Sort of miss those days. Almost.

sangreal

While you can say that DUDE THIS IS GEARS OF WAR PEOPLE LOVE THIS I somehow imagine how an average dude strolls into some retail chain, sees the boxart and just thinks that he has played this game already and goes further to buy something else.

does anyone still buy games based on the boxart? I mean, back in the 90s I would go into EB/Egghead/whatever and check out the boxes (mostly the back) to figure out what to buy, but I feel that shopping has changed drastically since then. If I were to ever go into a retail store to buy a game (I shop online), I would know what I'm looking for

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
does anyone still buy games based on the boxart? I mean, back in the 90s I would go into EB/Egghead/whatever and check out the boxes (mostly the back) to figure out what to buy, but I feel that shopping has changed drastically since then. If I were to ever go into a retail store to buy a game (I shop online), I would know what I'm looking for

well, at least developers and marketing departments think that they matter (see latest Ken Levine's comments), they know better (probably).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Apparently.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I would say that most of the time someone buying a game based on box art is doing so because they are a non gamer looking to buy a gamer family member or friend a game.

Hardcore gamers rely on the internet, message boards, reviews, etc and make an informed purchasing decision based on months of research/hype.

But even very causal gamers normally know what they are getting before they go in, be it through word of mouth, or a TV ad, or GameInformer, etc. and if they don't they can google it in the store with a smartphone.

I can't remember the last time any casual gaming friend of mind blind bought a game on boxart alone.

lock if old

Orange and blue - check
The main protagonist (a white middle-aged dude + a woman and a black man in the background) - check
Sparks from fire/explosion - check
Frown on faces (a woman and a black dude look like they're having an orgasm) - check

This is pretty much EVERY movie and game cover that has a team or partner thing going on in it. White dude front and center with the brotha way in the blackground, even if there is no lead among the two (but usually it's the white guy).

stuminus3

Banned
In more important news, I didn't notice the judgement/judgment thing and now it's going to bug the shit out of me. Spelling is hard for a Brit living in Canada reading a US forum.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Holy crap, that is terrible.

Why couldn't it have just been the flag? The PAL version is slightly better.

DocSeuss

It's worth noting that women gamers responded best to Baird. Apparently he's the sexiest one or whatever. The cover's not there to appeal to dudebros, but to the girls that like Gears.

In more important news, I didn't notice the judgement/judgment thing and now it's going to bug the shit out of me. Spelling is hard for a Brit living in Canada reading a US forum.

The dictionary I went to claims 'judgment' is the most widely used version in English speaking countries outside of Britain. I live in America and I've only ever spelled it "judgement". Maybe I'm actually a Brit. Mom probably cheated on dad with the Spotted Dick salesman.

Apoc87

Banned
did you like baird?

i would have interest if its a locust story or adam fenix, dom, a carmine or cole train.. but baird?

No. Baird is my least favorite character (yea i even like Jace a bit better)

I wouldve perferred carmine. I just love gears' gameplay so I was hype when they showed this trailer outta nowhere last year.

But yeah, fuck Baird.

NinjaBoiX

Yup, that's a Gears cover alright. Kind of what I expected, for better or worse.

Meh, it's not awful, just kind of unimaginative.

Not even show People Can Fly logo on the cover. What a shame when you think they are doing the main part for this game. Then again the game is not even listed on their website. And Epic Logo is probably more a seal of "quality".

farnham

Banned
No. Baird is my least favorite character (yea i even like Jace a bit better)

I wouldve perferred carmine. I just love gears' gameplay so I was hype when they showed this trailer outta nowhere last year.

But yeah, fuck Baird.

yeah i like gears gameplay too (well especially 1 which was the best imo. the rest felt lile uninspired expansion packs). i still remember how shocked i was looking at footage of the gears 1 demo at e3.

but man a prequel with baird? he is good as an annoying sidekick but as the main character?
Not even show People Can Fly logo on the cover. What a shame when you think they are doing the main part for this game. Then again the game is not even listed on their website. And Epic Logo is probably more a seal of "quality".

also they are a subsidiary of epic

Top Bottom