• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
(lol @ chest hair)

One more from Metal Gear:

Vamp was originally designed as a woman, but when the character of Fortune was introduced, the design was changed to that of a man, although the long black hair and sex appeal was retained. His appearance is based on Spanish dancer Joaquín Cortés.

His moniker has dual meanings, being a short form of the English word vampire as well as refering to his bisexual orientation.
vamp-
1. a seductive woman who uses her sensuality to exploit men.
2. to use feminine charms upon; seduce.
3. to act as a vamp.

Formless

The End from MGS3 was in some ways supposed to be in MGS2, but as an old Nazi military officer. A man codenamed "Chinaman" was supposed to be in MGS2, but his moves/traits went over to Vamp.

beat

emilio said:
SMB cloudbush / Diddy's Conquest = mind blown = thread subscribed

I remember being pretty amazed when entering "Sega" or "Sonic" as a name in Uniracers and getting the message "Not cool enough".
uniracers.gif
Who made this game, that I may start a lifelong vendetta against them? (And where's Segata?)

Ranger X said:

"1. The play area of GTA: San Andreas is roughly 17 square miles." I totally knew that, but my friend refused to believe me when I said the GTA:SA gameworld was around 4 miles square.

beat said:
Who made this game, that I may start a lifelong vendetta against them? (And where's Segata?)

"1. The play area of GTA: San Andreas is roughly 17 square miles." I totally knew that, but my friend refused to believe me when I said the GTA:SA gameworld was around 4 miles square.
Oddly the answer to your question is in the 2nd part of your post. Uniracers was developed by DMA Designs, who went on to become Rockstar North, developer of GTA. I don't hold a vendetta since Uniracers/Unirally is a fucking brilliant game. I wish they'd go back to making that type of game in their off-time from GTA games instead of the dreck they've been subjecting us to.

Pimpbaa

Dali said:
Poison (top pic) is a dude. he started out as one of the enemies in Final Fight. I think the story is he is post-op in America, but in Japan he's all (mostly) man. I'm guessing the second pic is supposed to look like a women, so we are supposed to think it's a women, but actually be fooled because it's a man. However, I'm used to Japanese character design enough to spot that one.

Poison is a dude in Final Final on the SNES due to nintendo's retarded censorship at the time. In the original arcade version and all other version "he" looks like a woman.

Dali

Pimpbaa said:
Poison is a dude in Final Final on the SNES due to nintendo's retarded censorship at the time. In the original arcade version and all other version "he" looks like a woman.

Ignoring the SNES version (who wasn't Poison but a totally different replacement character), I remember the official line being Poison (the pink-haired female looking one shown in the pics), has a cock in Japan, but over here she is post-op and doesn't have male equipment.

Donkey Kong Country 2 : not Diddy Kong's Quest.. Diddy's Kong Quest.. Conquest... MINDBLOWN
Really, goddamn, I have played that game for 10 years now and that was the first time I have noticed that.
Bomberman becomes Lode Runner MINDBLOWN

Actually, could someone .gif that mindblown-move from newest Angry Video Game Nerd (Rambo)

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Formless said:
The End from MGS3 was in some ways supposed to be in MGS2, but as an old Nazi military officer.

Old Boy.

Speaking of Metal Gear, The Boss was originally envisioned by Kojima as having a snake tattoo and fighting with an exposed breast (that would shake when she fired her weapon, making it seem like the snake was laughing).

giggas

PetriP-TNT said:
Bomberman becomes Lode Runner MINDBLOWN

Bomberman.gif

You sure? I always took it as him becoming Milon from Milon's Secret Castle. They're both Hudson games afterall, and Lode Runner wasn't done by Hudson I don't think.

85.jpg

edit: Okay I should have looked it up before I posted. Yeah he is Lode Runner. God damn though, he looks just like Milon too.

Some SH1 easter eggs:

- In the bar 5 to 2 (it was a bar? don't remember well) there are a Stephen King poster telling you to Study and another poster this one related to the "Portishead" britain band.

- The paper with the diferents teacher's names are from the popular band "Sonic Youth"

Thurston Moore
Lee Ranaldo
Kim Gordon

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Youth

- The name Dr. Michael Kaufman is a combination of the names of Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz, knowed for creating cult films like "The Toxic Avenger"

And there's a lot more,SH1 is like the gold mine of references and easter eegs....

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
indi said:
Old Boy.

Speaking of Metal Gear, The Boss was originally envisioned by Kojima as having a snake tattoo and fighting with an exposed breast (that would shake when she fired her weapon, making it seem like the snake was laughing).
I have the impressiom that they have many of Metal Gear's ideas while being hard on the booze, and then after they sober up they select the adequate ones. :lol

DangerStepp

ratcliffja said:
I remember when I first bought Sonic 2 and laughed as soon as I saw Miles "Tails" Prower. I then had to explain the pun to my brother. I have a hard time believing anybody who knew his full name didn't get the pun.
There are tons in the Phoenix Wright series:

Lotta Love
Luke Atmey (Look at me)
Phoenix Wright (Thinks he's right)
Wendy Oldbag (Windy Old bag)
Will Powers (Will Power)
Dustin Prince (Dust in prints)

There are many more that I can't think of at the moment, but they're fun.

Also, if you own Call of Duty 4 for Xbox 360, take a look at the instruction manual. You'll notice that the button layout is wrong. :lol Go ahead! Take a look!

Now for some early Dreamcast prototypes:
proto_dc022.jpg

earlyDC.jpg

dcwii.jpg

DrWiimCast?
proto_dc012.jpg

Dreamcast DVD Player?
zapper.jpg

Concept for original NES Zapper
Nes_design.jpg

Prototype art for original NES.
Nes_design2.jpg

Original NES slim. Canned due to infiltration of dust in vital areas.

DangerStepp

Formless said:
The End from MGS3 was in some ways supposed to be in MGS2, but as an old Nazi military officer. A man codenamed "Chinaman" was supposed to be in MGS2, but his moves/traits went over to Vamp.
Wasn't there also a scene deleted from MGS 2 involving the twin towers? I heard that it prolonged production.

Also, in MGS2, ever notice Ogla's armpit hair?
You're telling me that Vamp's chest hair was too real, but they left that in!?

SovanJedi said:
Whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOAAA.

No wonder Sega has taken a liking to the Wii...

Here's more info on that DC controller:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2005/12/dreamcast-prototype-insipires.html

http://www.gwn.com/articles/article.php/id/745/p/1/title/Wiimote_a_Copy_of_Dreamcast_Prototype.html

More Dreamcast prototypes:

168363183644bb2bd0289a6.jpg

P.S. I have a weird thing with dead systems, abandoned ideas and whatnot. This thread is currently my life blood.

Later on down the road I'll reveal more Nintendo prototypes long forgotten/unreleased.

Final Fight was initially going to be a sequel to Street Fighter and, as this arcade flyer clearly indicates, it's original name was Street Fighter '89.

10018904.jpg

Did you know that you actually fight Metroids in Kid Icarus? (Although they are called Komayto instead.) The manual theorizes that they may have come from another planet. Apparently, Komayto means "baby Metroid" but I can't say for certain.

Baby Metroids, as seen in the game:
KI1.gif

Baby Metroids, as seen in the manual:
KI3.jpg

What's even more shocking about Kid Icarus is that the game contains nudity. The syrens in the final level are topless. While it's not overly obvious by looking at the sprites, Nintendo made things perfectly clear for us in the manual.

Syrens, as seen in the game:
KI2.gif

Syrens, as seen in the manual:
KI4.jpg

CassSept

Omg, SMB is older than me, ive played it countless times and i still can be surprised by it wtf:lol

About Metroids in Kid Icarus, thats because these games were develoepd by same company, thats why there are so many similarities.
There is also tribute to Kid Icarus in Metroid Zero Mission. Just like in Kid Icarus, youre collecting three mysterious items that do seemingly nothing. That is, until you are near the end of game, where their true usage is revealed and they make you almost invincible killing machine:D

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I was reading this thread... wondering why the cloudbush was shocking so many people.... then I remembered that my friends and I noticed that in what must have been 89/1990.

Oh god I was spending time with a girl today who was born more recently than that :p

Bildi

Ezduo said:
The bushes in Super Mario Bros. were just recolored clouds.

smb.jpg
That is mind blowing. I'm sure it's been said, but could it be that the clouds were actually white-coloured bushes?

Fox

Banned
anyone remember the Hidden Palace BGM in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 sound test?
the zone never appeared in the final edition of the game, is only playable in the beta version, but the bgm was still included in the retail game.

anyway, the song of hidden palace zone is the same of the special stage from sonic the hedgehog, but strongly slowed down, with different tunes.

try to believe:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Hidden Palace Zone BGM: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FcR81-nhKk0
Sonic the Hedgehog - Special Stage BGM: http://youtube.com/watch?v=5cKeyxK11MQ

Sonic 2 Hidden Palace Zone.. sigh, it was awesome

hiddenpalacezoneb2.png

Gagaman

emilio said:
SMB cloudbush / Diddy's Conquest = mind blown = thread subscribed

I remember being pretty amazed when entering "Sega" or "Sonic" as a name in Uniracers and getting the message "Not cool enough".
uniracers.gif
Haha wow, wasn't there also a screen in one of the DKC games featuring a "Top 3 heroes" starring Mario Donkey Kong and Link, and Sonic's sneakers sitting by a sign saying "No Hopers"?

Also, this reminds me of the PS1/Dreamcast Spiderman game in which if you typed a swear word, Spiderman would give it a slap. :lol

Evander

"industry expert"
+Aliken+ said:
which part of the Marlboro one?
KKK for ku klux klan

In the middle of the legs you can notice a hooded person with his arm extended, like the Nazi salute.

I'm calling BS on this. You can make up anything anywhere if you look hard enough, but the "hooded guy" doesn't look like that at all, and the phrase "orobl jew" is entirely meaningless (as is "ojopl jew", which is what it would ACTUALLY say if you were consistant in flipping it.)

In Super Mario RPG, when you use the Inn of a certain town (believe it is Rose Town) you awake in a room with a sleeping link.

I remember in middle school i went to see a high school rendition of Phantom of the Opera. In that production I noticed the exact same music as the theme to Rose Town. Not sure if one ripped off from the other, and have not heard the same song in higher tier renditions of the opera.

McLovin

Evander said:
I'm calling BS on this. You can make up anything anywhere if you look hard enough, but the "hooded guy" doesn't look like that at all, and the phrase "orobl jew" is entirely meaningless (as is "ojopl jew", which is what it would ACTUALLY say if you were consistant in flipping it.)
I didn't read what you wrote, but I agree with it. And if you guys know whats good for you you'll agree too >.>

Red Scarlet

MarkMan said:
- The first run of Final Fantasy Tactics Greatest Hits (PS1) were the wrong region code. It only worked with Japanese systems hahah.

Is that worth anything? I got the greatest hits version at its release but kept it in the wrapper.

The only picture I can find has it spelled correctly (and it's imageshack), but on my Japanese PS1 version of FF5, on the spine side it says FANAL FANTASY V instead.

I don't see the KKK in the Marlboros, but the 'klan nazi' guys are easy to see..just outline the white space between the horses legs..where their balls would be is the pointy hat and they're sticking an arm straight out.

As someone said earlier, manjis I guess are taken out..in Dragon Quest 3 remake there are two of them, one at Dharma above the old guy, and the shape of one of the dice game boards. In the US version the first one was taken out while the second one had the squares moved a bit so it doesn't have that shape anymore. I could get some pictures if people are curious.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
How about this, as I just recently found this out:

The original Japanese Legend of Zelda used the Famicom's second controller microphone to kill Pols Voices with your voice.

PolsVoice.png

In the American version you just attack them normally. However, in the instruction manual, they still give you a, now confusing, clue on their weakness with "[Pols Voices hate] loud noises."

Not earth shattering, but interesting nonetheless.

Red Scarlet

Bow and Arrow works good on Pol's Voices..according to TSA, in the Japanese version of Zelda, you can use the Recorder to warp to level 9's entrance but he never said how to get it to. Said it was taken out of the US one. Anyone know how it was supposed to work?

Feep

Banned
DangerStepp said:
There are tons in the Phoenix Wright series:

Lotta Love
Luke Atmey (Look at me)
Phoenix Wright (Thinks he's right)
Wendy Oldbag (Windy Old bag)
Will Powers (Will Power)
Dustin Prince (Dust in prints)
Lotta Hart*

Also: Redd White of Blue Corp!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
morningbus said:
The original Japanese Legend of Zelda used the Famicom's second controller microphone to kill Pols Voices with your voice.
In the American version you just attack them normally. However, in the instruction manual, they still give you a, now confusing, clue on their weakness with "[Pols Voices hate] loud noises."

I've known about this for a while, but what I'm more curious about is the rumblings I heard about Pol's Voice being in The Phantom Hourglass and the DS having a microphone. I believe I heard the same technique worked again... can anyone confirm or deny that?

Red Scarlet said:
Bow and Arrow works good on Pol's Voices..according to TSA, in the Japanese version of Zelda, you can use the Recorder to warp to level 9's entrance but he never said how to get it to. Said it was taken out of the US one. Anyone know how it was supposed to work?
I thought the Recorder normally warped you between each dungeon... and, presumably, that included level 9. Just a guess.

DJ Crimson said:
What game is this from? Theres like what, three different games featuring characters like this or something? :lol

Bridget - Guilty Gear

You're probably also thinking of Rosetta from Chrno Crusade:
Dchc001.jpg

They look exactly alike... but she's at least a girl. :lol

Top Bottom