• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zero Punctuation Thread

KrawlMan

Are you honestly telling me that some people still don't understand that Yahtzee is a joke persona who isn't meant to be taken seriously?

While he may be a joke persona, I actually agree with most of his Skyward Sword review. For a guy who "isn't meant to be taken seriously," he's certainly doing a great job pointing out legitimate problems with many games.

Are you honestly telling me you've not ever read this thread?

All 8600 posts in it? Heavens no. But this is a good example of a review where people will come out of the woodwork to defend their beloved Nintendo, much like they did back when he shat all over SSBB.

While he may be a joke persona, I actually agree with most of his Skyward Sword review. For a guy who "isn't meant to be taken seriously," he's certainly doing a great job pointing out legitimate problems with many games.

He overstates them, but they usually are legitimate complaints, which is actually something that is difficult to find in many mainstream reviews that are filled with nothing but praise for the triple A juggernaut titles like Zelda.

Dragon

Banned
Jesus Christ. Yahtzee has never given motion control any sort of fair chance. Why did I expect any different with one of the few games that makes a solid case for them?

smh

If you're going to debate a Yahtzee review rationally (one wonders why but whatever) why would you completely ignore points which seem at first glance way more legitimate then his problems with motion controls.

Alrus

He overstates them, but they usually are legitimate complaints, which is actually something that is difficult to find in many mainstream reviews that are filled with nothing but praise for the triple A juggernaut titles like Zelda.

Some of his complaints for certain games are complete bullshit though. (not for this one)

TheExodu5

Banned
I still don't know how people can't seem to accept the fact that Skyward Sword (and modern Zelda in general) has a lot of issues.

The negatives completely outway the positives for me. What I played of Skyward Sword was not enjoyable.

Chuckpebble

Man, I was hoping for a Skyrim job, I guess this'll have to do in the meantime.

EDIT. Durrr. Seems ZeroP has been off my radar for too long. Goes to show he gets much more attention when he reviews Nintendo's sacred cows.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Okay, I really liked Skyward Sword, but this review made me laugh my ass off! I've played worse Zeldas, but pretty much all of the issues he had were the same issues I had (except not quite as bad with the motion control).

Especially Fi. Jesus fucking Christ I hated how she would repeat things just said TWO FUCKING SECONDS ago! >>

"I FOUND A PLOT HOLE! NURSE!" XD

matm666

I still don't know how people can't seem to accept the fact that Skyward Sword (and modern Zelda in general) has a lot of issues.

The negatives completely outway the positives for me. What I played of Skyward Sword was not enjoyable.

To me and many people the positives outway the negatives and so far it has been a very enjoyable game.

I still don't know how people can't seem to accept the "fact" the people have different tastes.

Alrus

Who are you talking about? Most of the people in this thread agree with the criticism.

Poyunch

I liked the motion controls and I don't think it's the worst in the series but I pretty much agree with all his complaints.

Dina

I don't know why you people say that he's a bad reviewer. He nit-picks, sure, but he mostly finds faults in games that I can agree with. What's more, it's usually stuff you don't read or see anywhere else.

I don't always agree with him on the general score (and I haven't done Skyward Sword), but there's plenty to agree with in most of his reviews.

And, of course, I think he is hilarious. This one is another one of those.

I don't know why you people say that he's a bad reviewer. He nit-picks, sure, but he mostly finds faults in games that I can agree with.

Nitpicking shouldn't be taken lightly .. when you review you should give an accurate description of the game without nitpicks. Being funny without being objective is bad (IMO)

Levyne

Banned
Yahtzee is a joke reviewer. I'm not saying that as some butthurt fan. Whether it's game I liked or hate, I always find myself nodding along to most all of his criticisms. So he ignores a lot of the good points or doesn't always give some aspect of the game a length of look they deserve so what? Shit's entertaining.

John

Nitpicking shouldn't be taken lightly .. when you review you should give an accurate description of the game without nitpicks. Being funny without being objective is bad (IMO)

Thing is, the "nitpicks" are what faithfully describe the gameplay experience for me. Yahtzee's the only critic that's ever made me actually understand what it would be like to play a game during a review.

The img seems to imply he thinks Okami is a better Zelda game than the Zelda games, so his opinion is invalidated for me, as I think Okami is a pretty mediocre zelda :p

I loved that part. I've always felt that Okami out Zelda'd the Zelda series. It is a better game. (I have my Nomex suit on so flame on)

Alrus

I loved that part. I've always felt that Okami out Zelda'd the Zelda series. It is a better game. (I have my Nomex suit on so flame on)

I completely disagree, it's one of the worse "Zelda game" I played. Which doesn't mean it is bad (because it's not, it's a beautiful games with a charming world) but it's not as great as people make it out to be. (By that I mean that it has absolutely no challenge, a sidekick that's worse than Fi, and very poor pacing).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Surprised Arkham City didn't get a mention but Portal 2 won the whole thing, he talked about both of them very similarly (good games but not as good as their predecessors.)

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I wish I could say I disagree with his thoughts about SS, but I don't :(

I pre-ordered the game because of the EDGE review saying it was a "triumph" but so far it feels like a chore to play.

Are you honestly telling me that some people still don't understand that Yahtzee is a joke persona who isn't meant to be taken seriously?

The response to the Witcher 2 video right after the response to the Dragon Age 2 video was precious.

"Yahtzee is GOD!"
"Yahtzee is the DEVIL!"

And a lot of it is from people who say they know he's just playing a part, and yet they still get mad as fuck.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've already uninstalled Serious Sam 3. Didn't enjoy it at all. Hard Reset was much better.
Oh no, give it time. I was thinking I wasted my money for the first hour or two, but holy shit does it pick up. It's fucking fantastic.

Soule

I'm going to Brisbane on business in a few weeks time. I'm keen to check out his bar.

It's hella small. Friend from school way back when took me there cause she lives with someone who works there and I couldn't believe how small it was, happy it wasn't very busy at the time cause I was drunk and there's like 1 toilet in the men's. Good luck (it is admittedly quite cool)

Chuckpebble

Is the sight in some weird other language for anyone else, or just me?

ZeroASCIIation.jpg

EDIT: nm. Seems this is what you get when you use flash to set type. Opened the page in Chrome and its legible but the fonts still look god awful.

Well if all you play is the singleplayer on a game that's all about the multiplayer then yeah, it's gonna be on your worst game of the year award.

Carl

His best and worst of 2011 was pretty good i'd say. Agree with him on most parts (games i've actually played, at least)

FinalD

can someone list his best / worst? cant view the video right now.

Best:
Portal 2
Driver: San Francisco
Bastion
inFamous 2
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Worst:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
+
Battlefield 3
Duke Nukem Forever
Dead Island