• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House Intel Panel hearing on Russian involvement (3/20, 10am ET, livestream)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCSI

I can not believe this whole hearing happened, the way it happened, and that it's real.

The tweet countered was the most surreal shit ever.

AnYD11.gif

This gif is incredible.

Just caught that, Stones double take is incredible to see in context of the discussion point introduced.

Edit: Watched the 60 minute interview with Comey. Based on previous comments, he seems more lawful neutral in the interview.

mnannola

I wonder when Trump thinks to himself the money isn't worth it and then goes HAM on Russia in order to deflect accusations that he's being soft on them. I wonder if that's how WW3 starts. Over a pee pee tape.

If the pee pee tape is real, I think Trump would do anything possible for it to never see the light of day.

Cat Party

I wonder when Trump thinks to himself the money isn't worth it and then goes HAM on Russia in order to deflect accusations that he's being soft on them. I wonder if that's how WW3 starts. Over a pee pee tape.
Trump has such incredible disdain for his supporters that he believes he can continue to pull the wool over their eyes for the rest of his life. He thinks they are that stupid.

Steel

Banned
If the pee pee tape is real, I think Trump would do anything possible for it to never see the light of day.

The Russians are in a bit of a bind on that. Before the Chris Steele dossier, if the tape had leaked it wouldn't be immediately traceable to Russia, they could have semi-plausible deniability. Now, if a pee pee tape with Trump in it were to leak, the Russians would be admitting guilt and their relations with the next admin going forward would be cold war level.

Trump has such incredible disdain for his supporters that he believes he can continue to pull the wool over their eyes for the rest of his life. He thinks they are that stupid.

Yeah, Trump does seem that dumb. His supporters, too.

gimmmick

Have you seen his voters and the people at his rallies? Not exactly university material.

ascii42

I don't know, but my uncle and aunt are nurse, yet they still support Trump. For the sake of my family, I try to change the topic every time they talk about Trump lol.
I'm a software developer, and I think most of the people I work with voted for Trump. Department of Defense job in the South, so probably anti-Hillary as much as anything else here. Thankfully the Hatch Act prevented most people from speaking about politics during the election season. Now that I think of it, since he's already applied for 2020 candidacy and is campaigning, it's currently the election season.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a software developer, and I think most of the people I work with voted for Trump. Department of Defense job in the South, so probably anti-Hillary as much as anything else here. Thankfully the Hatch Act prevented most people from speaking about politics during the election season. Now that I think of it, since he's already applied for 2020 candidacy and is campaigning, it's currently the election season.
Heh. You should mention the hatch act every time someone mentions him at all for the next 4 years.

pigeon

Banned
I don't know, but my uncle and aunt are nurse, yet they still support Trump. For the sake of my family, I try to change the topic every time they talk about Trump lol.

Actually for the sake of your family you should tell them to stop voting for white supremacists

KoopaTheCasual

I have a potentially stupid as rocks question: Where the hell did this "pee pee tape" joke come from and why does it come up in every Trump/Russia thread?

Was it just because of some SNL/MadTV skit? Is that really the reason why people keep bringing up that tired joke? Or is there actually a supposed tape (not pee pee related) that people jokingly refer to as the pee pee tape?

I have a potentially stupid as rocks question: Where the hell did this "pee pee tape" joke come from and why does it come up in every Trump/Russia thread?

Was it just because of some SNL/MadTV skit? Is that really the reason why people keep bringing up that tired joke? Or is there actually a supposed tape (not pee pee related) that people jokingly refer to as the pee pee tape?

The Steele dossier made reference to a tape Russia had that apparently had golden showers and Trump

Steel

Banned

Chris Steele dossier says that Russia has compromat on Trump where he had Russian prostitutes perform golden showers on him over a bed in a hotel that Obama slept in. The SNL skit wrote itself after that.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

SNL only gave it a name. It's unconfirmed intel from a document that has been verified as being from a legitimate source, and potentially has some true intel.

Mully

The Steele dossier made reference to a tape Russia had that apparently had golden showers and Trump

Specifically that Trump hired two prostitutes to golden shower on the same bed that the Obamas slept in while they were staying in Moscow. Trump supposedly ordered them to do it, and then watched.

The dossier does not say anything about Trump getting a golden shower.

Two different Bernie Bros on my FB tonight have basically posted "this is a waste of time, we made our mistake and we need to suffer with the consequences".

Salt. Over fucking TRUMP.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Question.

Has there ever been a president who does campaign rallies this early? Dude is 60 days in.

Fucking psychotic.

I know. At his rally today he even had banners up saying "promises made" and "promises kept" when almost every major news outlet keeps printing reports of their administration having accomplished almost nothing important already.

Crazy stuff.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Two different Bernie Bros on my FB tonight have basically posted "this is a waste of time, we made our mistake and we need to suffer with the consequences".

Salt. Over fucking TRUMP.

Yeah at a certain point tell them everyone isn't a masochist so go and politically self flagellate somewhere else

KoopaTheCasual

SNL only gave it a name. It's unconfirmed intel from a document that has been verified as being from a legitimate source, and potentially has some true intel.
Chris Steele dossier says that Russia has compromat on Trump where he had Russian prostitutes perform golden showers on him over a bed in a hotel that Obama slept in. The SNL skit wrote itself after that.

Holy.shit.

I had no idea the dossier was the source of that bit......

And weren't large parts of the dossier corroborated? Damn, so the "pee pee tape" could actually exist IRL. Wow.

Thanks guys.

royalan

A former MI6 agent noted by the UK and US for being pretty spot on with these things puts his reputation on the line over this dossier.

As far as I'm concerned, the pee pee tape is real.

I got in a 200+ post Facebook discussion with Trump supporters on the HuffPo post for the hearing. At the end of the thread, I was still being called a snowflake, blind and delusional. They believe Comey was compromised, and they keep bringing up Clinton and Obama- and a few of them even brought Ben Ghazi, Uranium, and the wiretapping claims that were just disproven in this same hearing.

After that, I'm don't think I can ever support taking the "high road" with these people.

Surfinn

I know. At his rally today he even had banners up saying "promises made" and "promises kept" when almost every major news outlet keeps printing reports of their administration having accomplished almost nothing important already.

Crazy stuff.

Lol I saw that too. Promises like the Muslim ban and wall, right? and repeal/replace Obamacare?

Which promises has he actually kept? Your intentions aren't enough clearly, when you can't push them through.

Davide

The Russians are in a bit of a bind on that. Before the Chris Steele dossier, if the tape had leaked it wouldn't be immediately traceable to Russia, they could have semi-plausible deniability. Now, if a pee pee tape with Trump in it were to leak, the Russians would be admitting guilt and their relations with the next admin going forward would be cold war level.

I can't believe anyone would even have the tape to leak it though.

Mr. X

Is there a summary video for the hearing?
Ongoing investigation of Trump team. Started in late July. No further comment. No evidence of wiretap in Trump tower. All but 1 Republican talked about arresting leakers/press, hacking tallying machines and they mentioned Hilary and Obama too much, had no interest in the treason stuff.

I got in a 200+ post Facebook discussion with Trump supporters on the HuffPo post for the hearing. At the end of the thread, I was still being called a snowflake, blind and delusional. They believe Comey was compromised, and they keep bringing up Clinton and Obama- and a few of them even brought Ben Ghazi, Uranium, and the wiretapping claims that were just disproven in this same hearing.

After that, I'm don't think I can ever support taking the "high road" with these people.

The mass brainwashing of such people ill never understand.

Jobbs

Banned
The mass brainwashing of such people ill never understand.

I don't believe it's brainwashing so much as just believing the reality that fits your worldview. They are able to believe it because other people do and they validate eachother.

You know how in your least flattering moments -- particularly as a child -- you might stubbornly cling to an argument that you do or would rationally know is wrong just because you're so frustrated with the people telling you it's wrong? I know I've been guilty of this before. That's a lot of what conservatism is. It's hard for some of us to understand, but most universities, especially law schools (where conservative lawmakers come from) are majority liberal. Conservatives attending these institutions spend years being corrected and talked down to by liberal peers for their less-insane conservative views, and in response they end up adopting and clinging to the most radical views possible out of sheer frustration and desire to stick it to the liberals who they have grown to despise.

I don't think that's justification for believing stupid or absurd or offensive things, but I think it's a piece of the puzzle that explains how such radical views are able to be adopted and maintained by, in some cases, educated people.

I can't understand that line of logic.

A lot of Bernie Bros are sitting firmly on "we had our chance but we blew it, so fuck everything". They believe that because people didn't unite behind Bernie the Republic deserves to fall under some kind of misguided notion that from the ashes a more pure Democracy will emerge.

A lot of Bernie Bros are sitting firmly on "we had our chance but we blew it, so fuck everything". They believe that because people didn't unite behind Bernie the Republic deserves to fall under some kind of misguided notion that from the ashes a more pure Democracy will emerge.

To a degree I think some on the left (not singling out or directing this at Bernie supporters necessarily) are loathe to admit that external factors contributed to the Democrats losses last year. While the Clinton campaign certainly made tactical and messaging errors over the course of the campaign that factored into her loss, some want historical record to show that it was only the unique badness of Hillary Clinton and the DNC that gave us Trump, and such things as Comey's October letter or foreign interference serve only as a distraction from Hillary's public shaming.

I know I've been guilty of this before. That's a lot of what conservatism is. It's hard for some of us to understand, but most universities, especially law schools (where conservative lawmakers come from) are majority liberal. Conservatives attending these institutions spend years being corrected and talked down to by liberal peers for their less-insane conservative views, and in response they end up adopting and clinging to the most radical views possible out of sheer frustration and desire to stick it to the liberals who they have grown to despise.

Yes I've read of that. And this is what it can lead to:

http://www.commondreams.org/news/20...force-universities-hire-right-wing-professors

As Republican-dominated state governments push frightening right-wing legislation nationwide, a GOP senator in Iowa joined the fray on Monday with a bill that would force universities to exclusively hire Republican professors and temporarily bar Democrats until "partisan balanced" is reached.

To a degree I think some on the left (not singling out or directing this at Bernie supporters necessarily) are loathe to admit that external factors contributed to the Democrats losses last year. While the Clinton campaign certainly made tactical and messaging errors over the course of the campaign that factored into her loss, some want historical record to show that it was only the unique badness of Hillary Clinton and the DNC that gave us Trump, and such things as Comey's October letter or foreign interference serve only as a distraction from Hillary's public shaming.

While ignoring that Bernie took non-white votes for granted to the point of literally ignoring key southern states.

While ignoring that Bernie took non-white votes for granted to the point of literally ignoring key southern states.

Yup. Anyone who thinks Bernie would have crushed Trump is silly mostly for that reason. It probably would have resulted in the lowest minority turn-out since George H.W. Bush in 1988.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

It's probably not real, but even if it were, given the level of shamelessness we see from Trump, and the loads of material that is already out there in the wild that paints him in a bad light, why do you think he'd be so scared of one more thing like that?

So it's basically "humans should die out".

Blizzard

Banned
I've literally nver seen anyone who supported Bernie Sanders say this, but maybe I'm not in the right circles. I suspect it may be a bit of a strawman.

Has anyone on GAF suggested it non-sarcastically?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I've literally nver seen anyone who supported Bernie Sanders say this, but maybe I'm not in the right circles. I suspect it may be a bit of a strawman.

I know a variety of people, and I know of some Bernie supporters who feel that way. Then again, I also know of Hillary supporters who feel that way too. I'm pretty sure if you do a search on GAF, you'll probably find more than one "this is what we deserve" posts.

I live in a really liberal neighborhood. Like a Portlandia type of neighborhood, even though it's in the midwest. The "purity left" is here and they are bonkers.

I have seen it around. That we must destroy the DNC rather than voting for better candidates because the political system is fundamentally flawed. Somehow S4P on Reddit is still really active and people still spend a majority of the time sharing articles about how Bernie would have won and we made a huge mistake picking Clinton. They spend their days tearing down any Democrat that is against what they expect on even the smallest of issues. I'm not even sure they are liberals at this point--they're like Non-Violent Far Left Extremists. Oh you voted against a Drug Price bill but the same as Bernie on everything else? Literally Trump by proxy.

I think your analysis is flawed.

The vote would have come down to White Men, and Bernie didn't face any real opposition research from the Clinton Campaign. Bernie would have won Millennials, but he got absolutely demolished among minorities and odds are they wouldn't exactly have been galvanized to get out and vote for him. White Men overall lean Republican. Maybe Sanders weaker stance on Gun Control would have bought him some favor, but I don't see him getting a majority vote in places like Virginia, Florida, and Pennsylvania. The states that he would need to win.

He may have even struggled in Wisconsin and Michigan since Hillary was helped greatly by minority voters in major urban centers.A lot of states that Hillary polled well in leaned way more to the Right than polling indicated they would, and Bernie would have struggled severely in those states--MI, WI, PA, NC, VA, FL, AZ, TX, MO, IA--all probably would have gone for Trump anyway. Older people heavily favor Republicans, and Bernie would have probably done better with millennials, but that's not enough to overcome him getting absolutely stomped by the 35+ crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom