• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Custom Theme Thread

For people posting themes, if you could post pics that are at 480 x 270 resolution, it'll be easier on my part to add them to the original post. That way the pics tell you what the theme looks like without completely filling up the screen and making it harder to browse through. Feel free to post bigger pictures but when you post links to the theme itself, having the smaller version of the image will help greatly.

Phoenix

Dizzan said:
Nice.

I don't even know what XML means let alone know how to use it.

But I want me some themes.

If you know what HTML is, you're most of the way there.

Code:
<sample>
	<background id="3886" image="myFooImage.png" />
	<icon>
		<name>GregPic</name>
		<width>64</width>
		<height>64</height>
	</icon>
</sample>

That will give you an idea of what XML is. It is a well-formed (every opening tag has a closed tag and all attribute values must be in quotes), human readable file.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
m0dus said:
An early mockup for a NeoGAF theme.

The background is a 3D-render + some 'shopping.

The icons are NOT final. They are vector-based art, but I'm thinking of going with an ambient glow effect. The orange/gray neogaf theme will be carried through to the rest of them.

gafps3mockup.jpg
You a God man, release this beast!

Dot50Cal

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
For people posting themes, if you could post pics that are at 480 x 270 resolution, it'll be easier on my part to add them to the original post. That way the pics tell you what the theme looks like without completely filling up the screen and making it harder to browse through. Feel free to post bigger pictures but when you post links to the theme itself, having the smaller version of the image will help greatly.

I'll hook you up with any new pictures we need. At least with my method you see more of the icons and how it behaves somewhat. :D

Kevin

This orange theme is indeed awesome. Would be neat if it was possible to animate the background (like the original PS3 theme). Can't wait to try it out! :D

noonche

I'm no artist, but I can probably throw together a JAVA GUI that will prevent people from having to deal with XML, offer previews and whatnot. If people are interested and would use it...

Tideas

Banned
so how do I get these themes onto the PS3? Download onto a media and put that media into the PS3?

Or download directly from the PS3?

Dot50Cal

Banned
Tideas said:
so how do I get these themes onto the PS3? Download onto a media and put that media into the PS3?

Or download directly from the PS3?

For sd card or usb stick, put it in PS3/THEME/ then go to settings/themes/install

Or you can download them from the PS3 web browser.

Ploid 3.0

alske said:
I'm no artist, but I can probably throw together a JAVA GUI that will prevent people from having to deal with XML, offer previews and whatnot. If people are interested and would use it...

I believe everyone would use it. This is what sony should have done. I don't know anything about xml other than it reminds me of XM radio, but Large.

sullyj

alske said:

That would be an excellent thing thing to do.

Maggot9

Banned
For that NeoGAF theme, that blinding blob on the right should be the GAF symbol, just a thought. I'm for sure downloading that when it becomes available.

Kadey said:
Anyone got a PS3 version of that PSP neon theme? That goes great with my setup.

Man, I'm with you. I've been using that on my PSP as well. Having that theme with the Every Extend Extra background that I have would look awesome on the PS3.

alske said:

Yes, please.

Great idea to do it in Java.

noonche

Pristine_Condition said:
Yes, please.

Great idea to do it in Java.

I figure that way everybody that has a JRE that supports Swing can at least use it to create the XML stuff. I'm not sure what the internals of what the P3T or the GIM file formats are though... Which means that only people that can run Sony's tools would be able to take the XML + all the files and compile it into a working theme.

Speevy

Banned
Maybe we could be more productive if we had a large group of volunteers that would take images from other people and make the theme.

That way, no one is doing all the work, and the people who don't exactly understand how not to screw this up can rest easy?

i think maybe i worded my post incorrectly; i apologize.

what i meant to say was the air paint theme for ps3 available as a theme for psp.

if you understood what i meant and it exists, would you link me to it?

thank you sony

things should be interesting for the next month or so

on a side note, how many of you would be interested in a website that stored all this as well as just hd wallpapers for the ps3 at one central site in a fairly organized way?

similar to what we are doing at 360 style but ya know, actually being able to use these on your system

skrew

Banned
GodfatherX said:
thank you sony

on a side note, how many of you would be interested in a website that stored all this as well as just hd wallpapers for the ps3 at one central site in a fairly organized way?

similar to what we are doing at 360 style but ya know, actually being able to use these on your system
just let me choose the text size, i have a fairly small 720p hdtv and reading gaf fucking kills me unless i switch to 480p

RuGalz

GodfatherX said:
thank you sony

It'd be awesome if you can make the website that let you pick the icons, wallpapers and generate a theme file for you to download. I was just discussing that with a friend today and I think that'd totally kick ass except I am the wrong kind of programmer to do it myself, lol.

we have the server space and a domain named picked out we just never followed through

if i see enough demand ill pull the trigger and start it up

Sorry, I need help :

Deadly Monk said:
I know this is kind of off-topic but I didn't want to start a new thread. Where can I find a list of every ps2 game that does (or doesn't) work with the 80gb PS3. It would be greatly appreciated. A friend just got the PS3 and people who come to my work want to see a list not search game by game.

Speevy

Banned
The great thing about these themes is that they adapt to your TV, unlike wallpapers.

I have an SDTV so these really work out for me.

I'm going to create a wallpaper and some icon ideas in Paint to see if someone can adapt it to a theme.

methane47 said:
Did anyone test out the multiple background images thing? will BG's fade in and out of each other or something???

As mentioned above, if you have multiple ones the system randomly chooses a background at startup. Of the official themes, at least "Air Paint" has this function.

Top Bottom