• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SM3DW sells 107k in Japan, lowest 3D Mario debut ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitsuneyo

That is not how Video Games work.

Nintendo needs one Good Game every month for the next 6 months.

Thanks for the education, but series like Monster Hunter, Pokemon and Animal Crossing are genuine system sellers in Japan. My point was Wii U needs a game to capture the public's imagination.

What has happened to Japan? Has Japan always had crappy sales for consoles and console games? I know handhelds are popular.

we'll find out in Feb. when PS4 launches there.

If PS4 is selling millions all over the rest of the world and hits Japan like a fart in the wind, then yeah, Japan is lost.

zigg

Hopefully this means an end to all of those "haha PS4/XBONE 1st adopters wasted their money; only Nintendo offers real value" articles from media outlets
Maybe if consumer value was somehow derived from sales numbers it could do this, yes.

Portugeezer

quite a bit less than Mario 64 which was a LAUNCH TITLE.

sad. I did my part though, bought and love this game. However I will admit it just doesn't have the 'wow' factor that some previous 3d mario games had. Especially mario 64 which was revolutionary and awe-inspiring when it came out.

If you bought an N64 at launch what the fuck was you supposed to get? Same story with NSMBU, sold like half the install base...

Zalman

auqR8O8.gif
It saddens me how people find joy in seeing a console failing, let alone one of the highest rated games of the year.

The Lamp

It will have long legs. But hopefully this sting is another hard lesson to Nintendo to not fuck up their consoles anymore.

Because of the tablet controller mostly. I feel that was probably a worse decision than Kinect on the Xbone.

Isn't the install base even lower there. I know it's essentially dead in Europe and selling below 50k a month in the US, so it's hard to have much faith.

You're absolutely right, I was just hoping the gaming public would be more receptive to the game and purchase a Wii U for it.

tebunker

Banned
How many days of actual sales is this? I know that the media create thread was for the whole week, but wasn't the game out for like 3 days or less of that week? I would just like some clarification.

duckroll

The only thing I find really strange is not that it is not moving units, but the fact that 80% of the current owners are not buying any game practically. Or who knows, they are holding up for the holiday shopping. Strange behaviour.

This thought process only works if people assume that every system sold goes to an owner who only owns that system and feels obligated to buy any good game on that system or they would have nothing to play. This is often untrue. Especially for platforms which fail to gain any traction at all, it is not unusual for people who bought it early to just forget about it because they have other things to play. It is also not unusual to consider that many might also have sold their systems, with the second hand units languishing unsold in second hand stores.

The sell through userbase for the WiiU in Japan is so small to begin with, so the people who own a WiiU don't really represent any sort of mainstream buying mindset. It's small enough that its entirely possible that every single WiiU owner already owns a 3DS and PS3 and just play games on those platforms instead.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
How much Mario goodness do you really need though? If you are getting your fix from the DS titles, why would you rush out and buy more on another platform?

No matter how good or popular something is, its impact is inevitably going to be blunted by overexposure.

Ifrit

At first I was surprised, but it actually make sense since the wii u hasn't really sold that much so far, I'm expecting that to improve though

nullset2

3D Mario doesn't really sell in Japan, or at least Iwata mentioned back in the wii era. So this is normal, but 3D World seems to deserve better, man... brilliant little game it seems.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Obligatory

nljIHxM.png
This picture really needs editing. When were ZombiU (a launch game thus before the U was is real trouble) and the Virtual Console ever dubbed saviours of the Wii U? You are better off putting down the weather as that was apparently blamed for bad sales.

One more step toward Dreamcast status, I guess.

If releasing great games isn't good enough for people, I don't know what else anyone wants. The system has some really good exclusives already and more coming.

Can only imagine how different things might be if third parties hadn't activeley sabotaged most of their titles, from stripping features to just charging over 50% more for certain titles than other consoles.

Oh well

Even if the third party multiplatform games were the best on Wii U, I have a feeling that they still wouldn't of sold. Interest in their type of games just wasn't there at launch and even now. If Mario 3D with amazing reviews is not garnering great sales, I doubt any of those third party games everstood a chance.

doemaaan

Yeah.. I wasnt expecting sales to be this low. I blame the console name. Nintendo needs some serious titles to start hyping their system. Show more of X, show new SSB4 characters, tease Zelda, tease Metroid, ffs remake Earthbound or give it a sequel.

Cyborg

WiiU didnt sell that much....the numbers say realy nothing.
How much % is this put against all the owners of a WiiU in JP?

maxcriden

That's really unfortunate. I do hope Nintendo is able to revitalize the system with MK and SSB...somehow. Hopefully 3DW does better in the US.

jetsetrez

Personally, I'd love it if Nintendo went third party for their console efforts. I'd happily purchase Mario and Pikmin on Steam, but they're not enough for me to get a system for alone.

I really wonder what Iwata and co are thinking. I wouldn't be surprised if am Iwata resignation isn't coming soon if the holidays continue in this vein.

Chindogg

How much % is this put against all the owners of a WiiU in JP?

About 10%, which is actually pretty good. Mario games do tend to have longer legs rather than a quick burst so we'll see. I don't have much hope this time unfortunately. Consoles in Japan seem to be a dying breed (outside of GTAV, where apparently 600k is just fine.)

Nev

Banned
Mario and Taiko failed. This is bad. Wii U needs a phenomenal new game on the Pokemon scale to save it. And that probably isn't happening.

Stop this. Mario is "on the Pokemon scale" if not higher. Just accept that the Wii U is a failure in so many aspects and the reason it's not selling it's because of these aspects, which were caused by disastrous decisions like A) Same hardware as PS360 (which have a combined install base of over 150m), B) Confusing concept/marketing/presentation, C) Wii aftermath/lesson learned, and D) Retarded name.

They had years of advantage thanks to the unexpected Wii success, and they decided to throw it by releasing an old hardware worth nothing more than the first party titles, which is exactly what the Wii was after the initial boom. No game can "save" this console because there's nothing to save. If people buy it they will do it to play the first party exclusives and put it on the shelf, and the amount of these people won't exceed the 5m. Nobody with a PS3 or a 360 can possibly desire a Wii U for anything else than their few first party games, and that's no reason to spend +200$, especially with the PS4 and Xbox One out there, and the casuals have already forgotten the gimmicks and have moved to smartphones and tablets. It's that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom