• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ein Bear

That's not speculation that's fact. Why do you think ME2 never came out on PS3 or no Trilogy has been announced for any platform really? It's a stupid situation for BioWare and I hope for them that the deal has an expiration date.

I don't know much about this stuff, but would it really stop them completely? Microsoft published Ninja Gaiden 2 after all, but Team Ninja changed some stuff around, slapped a 'Sigma' in the title and released it on PS3.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Any new infos so I can update this list? ;)

Added "Off-TV"-availability.

Code:
Scribblenauts Unlimited 	1080p	   60 fps	FSAA
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2*	1080p	   60 fps
Transformers Prime		1080p
Toki Tori 2			1080p 	   				    Off-TV
Dragon Quest X			1080p

New Super Mario Bros. U		 720p 	   60 fps	AA
Nintendo Land			 720p	   60 fps
Ninja Gaiden 3 			 720p 	   60 fps 		v-sync
Batman 				 720p 	   30 fps 		v-sync
Wonderful 101			 720p	   60 fps	
Rayman Legends			 720p	   60 fps
Mass Effect 3			 720p	   60 fps
Pikmin 3 			 720p 	   60 fps
Zombi U 			 720p 	   30 fps
Lego City: Undercover		 720p	   
Trine 2: Director's Cut 	 720p			FXAA
Nano Assault Neo							    Off-TV
*some think the 1080p is marketing talk

Nice job with this, the off-TV functionality is very interesting, it'll literally just a big handheld to drag around in the house.

When was Black Ops 2 confirmed to be 1080p? I know at the conference they said it was the first Call of Duty game to be rendered at "full HD" on console but I thought they were talking about 720p since all the COD games have been slightly below that on consoles. I'd love to be wrong and have the game at 1080p though.....

Some site claimed a rep told them it would be 1080p. Can't remember where though.

The original source is 4gamer.net ( http://translate.google.de/translat...www.4gamer.net/games/139/G013996/20120920113/ ) from a Square Enix - Event, SE probably said it there.

Perhaps, and like I say, I think it probably is 1080p, but would be best to get confirmation before you bet your life on it.

When was Black Ops 2 confirmed to be 1080p? I know at the conference they said it was the first Call of Duty game to be rendered at "full HD" on console but I thought they were talking about 720p since all the COD games have been slightly below that on consoles. I'd love to be wrong and have the game at 1080p though.....

1080p is normally refereed to as 'full HD', as everyone knows. As far as I know they've never used the words 1080p.

Meelow

Banned
Perhaps, and like I say, I think it probably is 1080p, but would be best to get confirmation before you bet your life on it.

Even without those sites it should be 1080p, the Wii U version is pretty much the Wii version so the Wii U version being 720p and not 1080p would look pretty sad.

Even without those sites it should be 1080p, the Wii U version is pretty much the Wii version so the Wii U version being 720p and not 1080p would look pretty sad.

Exactly, it's a simple looking cell-shaded 1:1 Wii port... 1080p should be guaranteed... for what the feck it's worth lol.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm not at all believing any of the 1080p statements except for games like Scribblenauts and Rayman legends. Sounds like bullshit to me.

netBuff

According to this article, they did say 1080p. I remain skeptical though.

Finally, Activision says that the Wii U version is capable of running at 60fps in 1080p, even while playing online.

http://www.slashgear.com/black-ops-ii-wii-u-details-unleashed-13247525/

That article references the New York conference: Eric Hirshberg never mentioned any specific resolution or framerate in regards to CoD on stage, he only remarked the console to be capable of "HD ready" graphics.

Considering Black Ops 2 will render at 880x720 pixels (for comparison: 720p are 1280x720 pixels) on the PS3 and Xbox 360 I'm highly skeptical that this game will render at even 720p on the Wii U.

Developers use 1080p way too much. Many times they just mean that it can upscale to 1080p. I'm pretty sure that you can upscale the current CoD games to that resolution on the PS3 and 360. But they run at 600p natively.

Ein Bear

Developers use 1080p way too much. Many times they just mean that it can upscale to 1080p. I'm pretty sure that you can upscale the current CoD games to that resolution on the PS3 and 360. But they run at 600p natively.

This.

Most of my 360 games advertise '1080p' on the back of the box. So I'm sceptical until the thing actually comes out.

That's not speculation that's fact. Why do you think ME2 never came out on PS3 or no Trilogy has been announced for any platform really? It's a stupid situation for BioWare and I hope for them that the deal has an expiration date.

I think you mean ME1 there, cause ME2 was definitely on PS3. They could have at least made it a ME2 + 3 combo pack.

D-e-f-

Banned
Any new infos so I can update this list? ;)

Added "Off-TV"-availability.

Code:
Scribblenauts Unlimited 	1080p	   60 fps	FSAA
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2*	1080p	   60 fps
Transformers Prime		1080p
Toki Tori 2			1080p 	   				    Off-TV
Dragon Quest X			1080p

New Super Mario Bros. U		 720p 	   60 fps	AA
Nintendo Land			 720p	   60 fps
Ninja Gaiden 3 			 720p 	   60 fps 		v-sync
Batman 				 720p 	   30 fps 		v-sync
Wonderful 101			 720p	   60 fps	
Rayman Legends			 720p	   60 fps
Mass Effect 3			 720p	   60 fps
Pikmin 3 			 720p 	   60 fps
Zombi U 			 720p 	   30 fps
Lego City: Undercover		 720p	   
Trine 2: Director's Cut 	 720p			FXAA
Nano Assault Neo							    Off-TV
*some think the 1080p is marketing talk

did you miss the link to the wiki page that has all the off-tv titles?

here it is again: http://www.giantbomb.com/off-tv-play/92-7482/

I keep that list up to date

pestul

I think when they say 'first to render in full HD'.. they're talking about real 1080p and not upscaled. But yeah, we'll have to wait on that one. It does make you wonder how much time the devs have left before these go gold. Hopefully a lot of polish can be added in a month.

Luigison

So let me get this straight:

480p = ED
720p = HD
1080p = FULL HD

?

If 1080p is full HD, 720p should be called "almost full HD"

Unfortunately my current TV is only 1080i which was billed as HD when I got it, but I think it's sub 720p and is only 4:3 anyway. That's what I get for being an early adopter of "HD" before the standard was set. Maybe it'll accidently break when our carpet is installed next weekend.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I just noticed there's clothing damage in the Zelda mini-game of NintendoLand. (Nothing fancy, though, just some white marks on the tunic and hat.)

I wonder if that's gonna be in Zelda Wii U.

Meelow

Banned
I just noticed there's clothing damage in the Zelda mini-game of NintendoLand. (Nothing fancy, though, just some white marks on the tunic and hat.)

I wonder if that's gonna be in Zelda Wii U.

Is there a good video of that on Youtube?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Is there a good video of that on Youtube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSROtZ3umF4&feature=player_embedded

1:13

AFqAa.png

netBuff

I think when they say 'first to render in full HD'.. they're talking about real 1080p and not upscaled. But yeah, we'll have to wait on that one. It does make you wonder how much time the devs have left before these go gold. Hopefully a lot of polish can be added in a month.

It doesn't seem like anyone connected to Black Ops 2 ever claimed the game to "render in full HD" on the Wii U. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I just don't see any evidence.

It doesn't seem like anyone connected to Black Ops 2 ever claimed the game to "render in full HD" on the Wii U. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I just don't see any evidence.

You can find the evidence in the latest Nintendo direct. ;)

For the record:

480p = SD
720p = HD Ready
1080p = Full HD

At least that are the terms usually used by the marketing in europe.

aeroslash

That article references the New York conference: Eric Hirshberg never mentioned any specific resolution or framerate in regards to CoD on stage, he only remarked the console to be capable of "HD ready" graphics.

Considering Black Ops 2 will render at 880x720 pixels (for comparison: 720p are 1280x720 pixels) on the PS3 and Xbox 360 I'm highly skeptical that this game will render at even 720p on the Wii U.

No...find a transcription of the conference. E specifically said it would be "full HD". I really doubt it, but that's what he said.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Just got back from the LA Wii U Experience. (I see someone started a thread about it... I also others took a dump in it immediately, so I'll just post here) The lines weren't too long, lots of kids though. Played NSMBU (twice), Nintendoland - Mario Chase & Luigi's Mansion, W101, and Pikmin 3. But when Mario came out, the kids all vanished, letting me walk up to NSMBU.

This must have been the kid-friendly showing... the only M rated game was Batman in its own room. And it was easily the least impressive looking game there. The IQ was not good. Ninja Gaiden and ZombiU weren't there.

My favorite game was Mario Chase.

Pikmin is most definitely, without a doubt, IR pointer based and not M+ based.

Got 26 Streetpass tags.

What happens when you press the home button on the gamepad.

I dont think I know this yet lol
The first thing I did was press the Home button and then pretended like it was a mistake. All it did was pull up some sort of debug menu. It obviously was the final menu

Take a picture of the back of the system.
I tried. They blocked off the back side of the display cases so you couldn't see what the back looked like. I saw a part of a cable through a whole on the back of one the displays... the cable was black. I hope that helps. ;)

I've got to go to work now. :(

Meelow

Banned
You can find the full Wii U-Preview on the Nintendo website, at http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/videos/#/wii-u-preview

I didn't hear any mention of "full HD graphics". There's only talk of the game looking great on the Wii U and never achieving such graphics before on a Nintendo console.

47:23

"Full HD and 60fps".

A slot for a Nintendo branded SSD?

It's possible, I think something changed, we've seen the back at E3 2011 so Nintendo now hiding the back calls for something that happened.

GDGF

Soothsayer

Looks fun. I haven't seen many detailed videos of that mini game, so I didn't really know what to expect besides three people wielding wiimotes and one on the pad shooting arrows. It actually looks entertaining and the graphics and material effects look pretty spiffy.

netBuff

He mentions Full HD in the interview in the video section.

What Jason Ades said exactly:
... we're going to be presenting in Full HD on the Wii U, so we really believe that it's going to be on par with any other HD console ...

"presenting in Full HD" isn't equivalent to "rendering in Full HD" (it is highly likely we are going to get the same 880x720 rendering resolution as the Xbox, "on par" being the clue)

"Its all being delivered in FULL HD and in Call Of Dutys signature 60 frames per second"

47:22

Again, no talk of rendering resolution - and considering the horrible framerate drops Black Ops 1 had in 360 multiplayer, I don't feel like this is giving us any assurances.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
JJConrad, I don't suppose Pikmin 3 head the GamePad control option available to try?

Roo

Looks fun. I haven't seen many detailed videos of that mini game, so I didn't really know what to expect besides three people wielding wiimotes and one on the pad shooting arrows. It actually looks entertaining and the graphics and material effects look pretty spiffy.

Oh I see
yeah it looks cool
what I love so far about this game is the lighting
I really like it.
Can't wait to see some direct footage :p

majik13

At the stage demo during the NYC conference, they say "Full HD" a couple times. Not sure who the person was. Also you can hear a rep say it off camera when someone was filming it on the show floor on a youtube. I'm on my phone, so no link, but I thought the press releases info in Nintendos site for BLOPS also said full hd. Edit: it just says "HD experience". So at least 720p. Not sure. But as the list already notes with the * that this all could be pr talk. But it is strange how much emphasis it gets.

You would think they would just say full 1080p, if it really was that.
And why hasnt anyone directly asked Activision or a rep about this?

LogicStep

Can anyone tell me, if they know from fact or speculation, if we will be able to play Wii games on the Wii U? I skipped the Wii and I was wondering if I would be able to play the Mario games on the Wii U.

netBuff

Can anyone tell me, if they know from fact or speculation, if we will be able to play Wii games on the Wii U? I skipped the Wii and I was wondering if I would be able to play the Mario games on the Wii U.

The official stance is:
Nearly all of your existing Wii games can also be played on the Wii U console. In addition, your Wii Remote, Wii Remote Plus, and Nunchuk controllers at home are compatible with select Wii U software.

Many other Wii accessories, including the Wii Balance Board accessory, are also compatible with certain Wii U games.

You'll be able to take advantage of the Wii's game library on the Wii U. I'm looking forward to playing Skyward Sword, myself :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom