• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhantomR

Banned
About the region lock, I REALLY hope that after the whole Operation Rainfall fiasco, NOA will reconsider their localization policies. That was a fairly bad PR situation for Nintendo, and I'd argue that within the gaming community it made Nintendo look even worse than Sony....and they exposed consumer information!

Seik

Banned
About the region lock, I REALLY hope that after the whole Operation Rainfall fiasco, NOA will reconsider their localization policies. That was a fairly bad PR situation for Nintendo, and I'd argue that within the gaming community it made Nintendo look even worse than Sony....and they exposed consumer information!

Don't push it, not releasing a game/releasing it late is nowhere near leaking customers informations.

Plus what's the fiasco? We got both Xenoblade and TLS, Pandora's Tower is good yes, but I own it and it does not really stands a chance against the two others. Result are important and we got the two bests out of three.

jacksrb

it should. it just needs to know the TV codes and your inputs etc. on your TV will be your standard direct TV box being controlled by the IR in the Wii U pad. on your Wii U pad will be all the cool social media stuff etc. not 100% about DVR functionality beyond TiVo, but if there's phone apps or websites that let you interact with that stuff it's certainly possible and Nintendo TVii could tie into those, if not at launch, at some point.

as a really cool programming guide, and as a thing that has the feed of what's going on in the show and so on, all that stuff will work.

Really? If I could get this to work with DirecTV it would be amazing.

Well I've read that in several articles. Can't get the source at the mo as im at work. A quick google of "TVii Tivo only" came up with helpful results.

Wait, wut? After them stressing TIVO so much I thought there was no hope for cable/telecom set-top boxes. TVii looked cool but I figured it wouldn't work with AT&T Uverse. If it does somehow that would be sweet.

Here is the lowdown.

1 - TVii will work, from a programming guide / change your channel standpoint, with all major providers including DirecTV, Comcast, Charter, AT&T, etc.

2 - While the DVR interaction has so far only been announced for TiVo, in the interview linked below, the guy seems to intimate that they hope to have it working with other providers later. Even if it is not there day one, it can be updated/patched later. He actually says "Yes" to if it will work with DirecTV dvr, then backpedals. Not sure if he misunderstood or that they just aren't ready to announce it.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cStP8vTWXoo&list=UUcfVIkwtBbunmSgELQF8DWg&index=3&feature=plcp

(lots of other Wii U interviews I hadn't seen before too by that guy)

Linkhero1

Even if they don't, I'm hoping the eShop will be a good platform for niche Wii U titles. Anyways, I'm hoping the Wii U homebrew scene will be as strong as the Wii. Best thing about the Wii was the homebrew.

ohlawd

Nothing can top Sony's information leak except a similar leak from Nintendo themselves. I'm not too sure NoA's localization practices will ever change... look at the 3DS lineup for the holidays. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon should have been a lock for a late October release, Animal Crossing: Jump Out during December. This would have been okay if the big games from Japan like Bravely Default are coming this holiday too but they're not so Nintendo has no choice but to spread out their release schedule.

Foov

Has it been confirmed whether or not regular wii controllers will work with the wii-u, or only one's with the motion plus add-on built in? I've seen conflicting info online. Or does a regular wii controller with the motion plus dongle work as well?

edit: Never mind, op seems to say that everything works, though I've read different elsewhere, I'll assume it's correct.

tkscz

Here is the lowdown.

1 - TVii will work, from a programming guide / change your channel standpoint, with all major providers including DirecTV, Comcast, Charter, AT&T, etc.

2 - While the DVR interaction has so far only been announced for TiVo, in the interview linked below, the guy seems to intimate that they hope to have it working with other providers later. Even if it is not there day one, it can be updated/patched later. He actually says "Yes" to if it will work with DirecTV dvr, then backpedals. Not sure if he misunderstood or that they just aren't ready to announce it.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cStP8vTWXoo&list=UUcfVIkwtBbunmSgELQF8DWg&index=3&feature=plcp

(lots of other Wii U interviews I hadn't seen before too by that guy)

Well didn't tell me if I can stream the content to my controller. That would be nice if so.

jacksrb

Has it been confirmed whether or not regular wii controllers will work with the wii-u, or only one's with the motion plus add-on built in? I've seen conflicting info online. Or does a regular wii controller with the motion plus dongle work as well?

edit: Never mind, op seems to say that everything works, though I've read different elsewhere, I'll assume it's correct.

This should be in the OP (assuming it is not).

You CAN use normal wii-motes for some wii U games, including NSMBU. It is the same as on the Wii. Some games will require wm+, including some of the attractions in Nintendo Land.

I would assume that regular wii-motes would be fine on Nintendo Land attractions like Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Chase - but that hasn't been confirmed. WM+ is required for Metroid Blast and Zelda Battle Quest.

We don't have confirmation on this either, but I would assume wiimotes with the m+ dongle should be fine.

D-e-f-

Banned
I would assume that regular wii-motes would be fine on Nintendo Land attractions like Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Chase - but that hasn't been confirmed. WM+ is required for Metroid Blast and Zelda Battle Quest.

Nintendo Land as a whole requires WiiM+, that is definitely official! It's either the complete game or nothing.

I scheduled Monday Nov 19 off from work so that way I'll have two chillin' days to enjoy my Wii U. :)

Btw, anybody know what happened to Anth0ny and Roto13, was surprised to see they're banned. :/

jacksrb

Nintendo Land as a whole requires WiiM+, that is definitely official! It's either the complete game or nothing.

Can you give a source for that?

Not that Amazon is the source for truth, but it says the following:

"Some games require Motion Plus Remote"

Foov

I think I've mainly been hearing that only m+ remotes work with the wii u on some recent podcasts, so that's why I've been wondering whether the info out there has changed.

netBuff

Can you give a source for that?

Not that Amazon is the source for truth, but it says the following:

"Some games require Motion Plus Remote"

That could refer to the fact that most games are playable (at least singleplayer) with the GamePad and only a few require a Wii Remote.

EDIT: According to the Nintendo website, it does:
Your experience changes every time you play, depending on whether you use the GamePad, hold a Wii Remote Plus or just watch and try to offer advice to others. Experience it all!
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/games/wii_u/nintendo_land_54768.html

Quick random question...

Did Amazon stop selling nintendo hardware after the Operation Rainfall fiasco (Xenoblade was the best selling item on amazon for a time but nintendo decided to only allow Gamestop to sell it) or was it something different?
I don't see Amazon being happy about the lost revenue.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
The Wii U is going to be my first home console I buy with my own, hard-earned money.

Feels good man.

You will enjoy it much more that way.. Do yourself a favor unlike what I have done in the past and buy ONE game at a time. Play it and enjoy it. In the past I have bought multiple titles at once and felt obligated to quickly play them all.. Never enjoyed them properly either..

I bought more Wii-U titles than one of course however I will only open one at a time...(at least thats the plan!)

netBuff

Quick random question...

Did Amazon stop selling nintendo hardware after the Operation Rainfall fiasco (Xenoblade was the best selling item on amazon for a time but nintendo decided to only allow Gamestop to sell it) or was it something different?

The reason Amazon no longer sells Nintendo hardware is not publicly known, but there's plenty of baseless speculation about it.

jmizzal

Quick random question...

I thought about that too, but I think the 3DS hardware being send back situation seems more plausible.

AndTAR

The Wii U is going to be my first home console I buy with my own, hard-earned money.

Feels good man.
Exactly my situation as well, I was still a pesky spoiled kid when the Wii came out. This one will be different, gwahah!

(Although it's debatable how much I'm paying, and how much Jeff Bezos is paying, as I got one of those £199 Premium pre-orders...)

AzaK

UK/EU Dudes: In 9 weeks and 4 days (possibly 8 weeks and 4 Days if weevils rumour is true) we'll be opening our WiiU boxes.

Just think; right now you're console is probably being pieced together.....HYPEGASM!

KZ1ae.jpg

And I pointed such industry problems out in the thread. But Nintendo doing it still makes Nintendo responsible. That's the point. And Nintendo, moreso than many other publishers, has a shameful history of localising exclusively for one region. And I'm not talking about obscure Japanese games that never get translated. Numerous first party titles are exclusive to the US and EU, usually smaller, niche games a specific region has designated as unprofitable.

It sucks but what I hope they at least do is just localise (or maybe not in some cases) more stuff and throw it on the eShop instead.

Feels good man.

Congratulations! Must definitely feel awesome!

Fuck me, I completely forgot about the no analog trigger situation on Wii U.

I guess no Wii-U racing games for me then. :(

I did think it was a strange omission but I guess racing games are few and far between. I wonder if they'll do something like use a slight tilt on the GamePad.

For the fun: a survey/prospect by the IDG (International Media Group) for a French magazine (Multimédia) about the console gaming market in France in the next 2 coming years.

So according to these experts in 2014 the Wii U should be the top selling console by a noticeable margin (twice the amount of the next HD twins sales).

Source
Interesting, but remember Wii U is out a year ahead and it's only just over twice the sales of the others.

PhantomR

Banned
Don't push it, not releasing a game/releasing it late is nowhere near leaking customers informations.

Plus what's the fiasco? We got both Xenoblade and TLS, Pandora's Tower is good yes, but I own it and it does not really stands a chance against the two others. Result are important and we got the two bests out of three.

Whoa hold up son. In the gaming community this issue with Operation Rainfall went on and was "reported" on for months. The whole issue with PSN was literally forgotten about after E3. Do I PERSONALLY think that the two situations are equal? Not even close. I'm surprised Sony didn't receive heavy fines for that shit. I'm just stating what happened within the gaming community, that's all.

By the way, Operation Rainfall is awesome, but I don't want NOA to have to take more BS from the press than they already do. That's why I'm hoping for a different approach to localization this gen. Don't give media a reason to trash you, and don't give hackers a reason to hack you.

I see not reason they should have to spend money to localize to both EU and US... Americans can understand the English language. I had not issues with the British accents in Xenoblade, even if "Learnt" kinda bothered me at first.

Ein Bear

I see not reason they should have to spend money to localize to both EU and US... Americans can understand the English language. I had not issues with the British accents in Xenoblade, even in "Learnt" kinda bothered me at first.

Hah, if that bothered you, try having an entire system released over here with it's name spelled wrong!

(It's 'Game Boy Colour' Nintendo, for god's sake :p)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
God I'm sooo flip floppy on this system. I go through periods of extreme meh ness followed by hey this could end up being AWESOME. Then something dampens my hype, and I go back to being meh. Then I slowly start to get hyped again.

WTF at my wishy washy temperment over the Wii-U.

Hah, if that bothered you, try having an entire system released over here with it's name spelled wrong!

(It's 'Game Boy Colour' Nintendo, for god's sake :p)

I read enough British newpapers and magazines that I've started to use that spelling more than the American spelling. It's gotten to the point that I don't even catch it most of the time.

Effect

I don't think the Operation Rainfall situation and the PSN hack are on the same level. Sony should have gotten a LOT more negative press over their response. However I do think it caused Nintendo some bad PR. Mainly because it completely flew in the face of the message they were trying to deliver in regards to the Wii U at the time. Their acknowledgement that they lost customers to other systems because the Wii didn't satisfy them and that they were going to attract those people back. Then to have Nintendo of America seemingly (for all we know NCL was indeed the one behind it but NOA was the one getting the hit) pass on games that those players (the ones that were left) actually want didn't look good.

Going forward there should be no localization issues. Especially if the game is already localized for one region and not the other. What happen with Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower should never happen again. All first party games should be out in all regions either via retail or digital. The exception being if the game is really culturally aimed at Japan and it wouldn't survive the translation. Even then Nintendo should be taking all regions into account when developing the game since it's selling their system worldwide.

MisterHero

Going forward there should be no localization issues. Especially if the game is already localized for one region and not the other. What happen with Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower should never happen again. All first party games should be out in all regions either retail or digital. The exception being if the game is really culturally aimed at Japan and it wouldn't survive the translation. Even then Nintendo should be taking all regions into account when developing the game since it's selling their system worldwide.
That should be a rule for all of Nintendo's projects, really. Paradoxically, Nintendo's most demanded game in the vault (EarthBound) is modelled after western culture.

Unlike Rainfall, EarthBound's situation has gotten WORSE. From "Mother 1+2 released! Mother 3 is getting made!" to "EarthBound will never be released. EVER."

If the laughing smiley was still here I'd post it, laughing from grief.

Effect

The Mother situation still bothers me. I can understand and accept Mother 2 not getting a re-release. Mother 3 on the other hand is something that continues to bother me. They know the game has a following. It's pure text as well. They have a way of distributing a version without putting out boxed copies. Even back then they could have simply put it into DS box and shipped it with that first round of DS games. Many which were up-ported GBA games anyway. The excuse that it was to late is and was always bs to me. Though I guess it's a bit personal because I know my mother (she's the reason I love playing RPGs) loved Earthbound and beat it several times. It actually was her game (along with games like Actraiser and Illusion of Gaia when I was younger). I know she would love to play a new one.

Shurayuki

I scheduled Monday Nov 19 off from work so that way I'll have two chillin' days to enjoy my Wii U. :)

Btw, anybody know what happened to Anth0ny and Roto13, was surprised to see they're banned. :/

Anthony aped a crazy fanboy in a Bayo thread and probably got banned for that, Roto I don't know, for the comments in the flipping consoles thread? Too bad because I agree with him, flipping consoles is disgusting, but well...

Remember to behave guys, especially now that things get hot.

Good friends we had though, good friends we lost, along the Wii Uuuuuu~

Component inputs are analog, you will inevitably experience degraded picture quality using Component compared to an all-digital connector like HDMI. Using analog is a bad idea. If your TV has a DVI-connector (it likely has), you are better off buying an HDMI-DVI cable (like this cheap AmazonBasics one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TH7T2U/?tag=neogaf0e-20) which will allow for the same picture quality as an HDMI link.

Just because it's component doesn't mean he will definitely experience a degraded picture. It all depends on how far of a run he's running, what kind of interference there is and a lot of other things. If it's your average run from an entertainment system to the TV he is going to be 100% fine running component.

So much fucking fud out there in regards to component video, and other analog formats.

Shurayuki

Going forward there should be no localization issues. Especially if the game is already localized for one region and not the other. What happen with Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower should never happen again. All first party games should be out in all regions either via retail or digital. The exception being if the game is really culturally aimed at Japan and it wouldn't survive the translation. Even then Nintendo should be taking all regions into account when developing the game since it's selling their system worldwide.

Localizing games takes time and is expensive. The main reason the Rainfall games happened was because the teams had nothing to translate anyways Nintendo forgot the Wii existed. There is no guarantee whatsoever localization will improve in the future.

Gosh am I a bunch of fun he? ;D

So are people really disappointed because the Wii U is region locked? It was pretty obvious.

No reason not to be, fucking sucks. Expecting to be punched in the gut doesn't make being punched in the gut less painfull. :(

netBuff

Just because it's component doesn't mean he will definitely experience a degraded picture. It all depends on how far of a run he's running, what kind of interference there is and a lot of other things. If it's your average run from an entertainment system to the TV he is going to be 100% fine running component.

So much fucking fud out there in regards to component video, and other analog formats.

Converting a signal from digital to analog only to reconvert it from analog to digital will necessarily degrade the signal. It might be only slightly noticeable, but HDMI, DisplayPort and DVI are still the preferred choice.

PhantomR

Banned
Let's talk about 2013 games. Which announced big games coming next year would you like to see on WiiU? I'm really hoping we get these:

Watch Dogs
Grand Theft Auto V
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
Tomb Raider
Remember Me

What about you guys?

No reason not to be, fucking sucks. Expecting to be punched in the gut doesn't make being punched in the gut less painfull. :(

Actually it does because you tend to tense. Your body reacts to knowledge even if you are not consciously applying that knowledge.

What you mean to say is that an expected punch to the gut is still painful.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I was surprised when you said LAN, reading the article I think you mean the two screen co-op mode.

Anyway good news. Although I'll wait for impressions since I was a bit disappointed with the first.
Yep sorry that's what I meant, two screen co-op mode.

Shurayuki

Watch the PS4 be region locked and people accept it.

Haha, wouldn't be that surprising. Everybody who is always around when bad Nintendo news are around is already there too, can't say that's not amusing.

But it really really sucks, either I get the local Wii U which will be way cheaper but no JP games (no way!) or I get the Japanese one where the hardware price is okay but games are expensive ughhhh. Okay maybe console games will not be as different from EU as handheld games are.

Actually it does because you tend to tense. Your body reacts to knowledge even if you are not consciously applying that knowledge.

What you mean to say is that an expected punch to the gut is still painful.

Haha, I expected that response. Yes Yes. Doesn't necessarily mean it hurts less, and tensing means higher chance for long term damage though, cut me some slack.

jmizzal

Let's talk about 2013 games. Which announced big games coming next year would you like to see on WiiU? I'm really hoping we get these:

Watch Dogs - I believe its coming, all Ubisoft announced WiiU games will be out this year, besides Ghost Recon, they are not just gonna support launch and have nothing for 2013
Grand Theft Auto V - Its has to come, Nintendo had to go to them and said make it happen
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 - Maybe a late port but I doubt it
Tomb Raider - It could come late also if they see WiiU starting off good
Remember Me - Wont come Capcom already has a WiiU plan and wont port it like they should

What about you guys?

What I expect

BlankaBR

Banned

Watch Dogs
Grand Theft Auto V
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
Tomb Raider
Remember Me

What about you guys?
I would expect Watch Dogs since its a UBI game , } also CLOS 2 but its Konami so you can probably expect something like Elebits 2 from them (aholes!)

I definitely agree that region locking (by any of the manufacturers) is fucking stupid. While they've all done it in some way shape or form in the past it does need to be stopped. I think though instead of treating this as just a Nintendo issue, it should have it's own thread to be addressed as an industry issue.

It's not like developers don't want there to be region locking, look at Cave adding it to their later 360 releases. :(

Hoodbury

Don't be too overly hopeful for Watchdogs just because it's Ubi. They just re acknowledged that Farcry 3 won't get a Wii-U port which is very disappointing.

I'm not saying Watchdogs won't be on the Wii-U, I'd think it would make a very good connection with the gamepad. I'm just saying don't say it will because it's Ubi when they do have other big games not coming to the Wii-U.

Shurayuki

^ wow right never even though about the gamepad connection, Watch_Dogs needs to be on Wii U!

I definitely agree that region locking (by any of the manufacturers) is fucking stupid. While they've all done it in some way shape or form in the past it does need to be stopped. I think though instead of treating this as just a Nintendo issue, it should have it's own thread to be addressed as an industry issue.

It's not like developers don't want there to be region locking, look at Cave adding it to their later 360 releases. :(

Of course, if nobody wanted it it wouldn't exist. But when what they want and what I/we want clash, I want me to win, even if the whole industry wanted it x.x
I find it amazing how business savvy Nintendo is but at the end of the day I would sacrifice the industry for my own entertainment, hedonism ho!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom