• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 20 best selling video game series on console/PC for 2005-2013 (starts at 22M)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Watch_Dogs and Far Cry I can see, but I think they're a bit delusional with The Crew.

I think I need to see more of The Division to judge that.

Note: The Gears of War series has shipped 22 million.

top20tkjdh.png

Source: https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/comsit...1ubisoft fy14 slide show finaltcm99143204.pdf

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
annualized
annualized
annualized
annualized
twice a generation
dead
once a generation
annualized
annualized until dead
working towards annualized
working towards annualized
annualized
annualized
service
annualized
annualized
near-annualized
annualized until dead
twice a generation
worked towards annualized until wilted

wonder which way the winds are blowing

Linkhero1

Surprised Sonic made onto the list.
Is this based on retail sales only?

Yes.

Edit: Well, WoW is on that list so maybe not, but the description says Retail.

I'm not too surprised at Sonic. Sega has released many Sonic games in that time frame.

Barzul

Surprises for me are Need for Speed on that list and no Sony game making it on there. Thought GT sold a lot?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
0591_olk3s.gif

that's a depressing list

Surprises for me are Need for Speed on that list and no Sony game making it on there. Thought GT sold a lot?
They've only released 2 in that timeframe and one of the two didn't sell well.

Bricky

The most suprising two on there for me are Lego and Sonic. I mean, Lego I can kinda understand since they release more than two games a year in that franchise nowadays (and most of them are great and have a large target-audience), but how the hell is Sonic still doing so well? Or is it just there because it was such a big succes in the past (like Guitar Hero and Rock Band obviously). In that case, I quite underestimated how popular Sonic was in his prime.

Not one Sony 1stParty or exclusive game on the list...wow

That's not so weird. Pretty much all the big sellers are multiplat franchises. The exception being Nintendo, which has been around way longer than its competition and got some crazy numbers from the Wii. Then Microsoft has Halo and Gears of War, but unlike Sony (which has a HUGE catalogue of smaller exclusive titles) those are pretty much the only big exclusives Microsoft has.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Real winner, GTA with only 2 games released and Halo on only single console. Pretty spectacular.

Edit

On bottom of the pic, it says only for physical retail sale. Am I reading this right?

MormaPope

Banned
Its actually a extraordinary feat that GTA is number five when there were two games released for last gen and two expansion packs.

This list doesn't seem right, Sonic games have sold better than the Elder Scrolls games? That doesn't sound right.

Real winner, GTA with only 2 games released and Halo on only single console. Pretty spectacular.

Halo was pimped out pretty hard last gen. Three mainline Halo games, ODST, Halo Wars, Halo 1 Anniversary.

The most suprising two on there for me are Lego and Sonic. I mean, Lego I can kinda understand since they release more than two games a year in that franchise nowadays (and most of them are great and have a large target-audience), but how the hell is Sonic still doing so well? Or is it just there because it was such a big succes in the past (like Guitar Hero and Rock Band obviously). In that case, I quite underestimated how popular Sonic was in his prime.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games sold huge numbers on the Wii/DS. Then you have the Sonic Winter Olympics titles. Plus the London 2012 Sonic games. Then higher selling Sonic games like Sonic Rush on the DS and Secret Rings on the Wii.

Kusagari

This list really shows how much MS leaned on Halo and Gears last gen.

They're both on there and no Sony exclusives made it.

Bricky

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games sold huge numbers on the Wii/DS. Then you have the Sonic Winter Olympics titles. Plus the London 2012 Sonic games. Then higher selling Sonic games like Sonic Rush on the DS and Secret Rings on the Wii.

'Mario & Sonic' games count as 'Sonic'? Oh, in that case it isn't all that suprising indeed. I thought they just counted the main ones and I couldn't see those making it to the Top 20 anymore.

Road

It's interesting to compare with last year: https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/comsite_common/en-US/images/Ubisoft slide show FY13 finaltcm9996991.pdf

GTA with an expected big jump from 16 to 5. AC goes up one spot.

COD, Mario and FIFA unchanged.

Not sure if they included MKWii with Mario now.

Also, the list based on $$ rather than units. There's a strong correlation, obviously.

GT5: P and GT5 are at 16 million, add in GT6 (Assuming it has sold anywhere between 4-5 million) the GT series has sold 20-21 million units. Just outside the top 20.

You're way over shooting GT6.

GT is bundled to hell and back, I'm not sure if console bundles are included (WF, RB and GH are accessory bundles).

Wilsongt

Most of the top selling games are yearly installment franchises. We should add a SHOCKING NEWS to the thread title.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Dkrv2vN.png

Slide 8 is an interesting slide as well.

Another interesting little tidbit was on the AC Unity slide: "French Revolution setting as strong as American Revolution." And the Watch_Dogs slide bears no mention of the Wii U even having a release date.

Man, things are so much more homogeneous than they used to be...or it may just be the same but more often that we see these same games release year after year. If those brands hold up for this generation, it looks like MS has a clear advantage in selling power with its first party. Of course, I hope they don't lean on those two franchises as much going forward...

Top Bottom