• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game |OT| Gotta Collect them all!

Hey all,

Is this thread more for playing the modern TCG or is it a catch-all community thread for old-school collectors like me? I creep this thread sometimes, but I see it has much more the former than the latter.

Would I be out of place here wanting to talk about whether BCW sideloaders are the best trading card sleeves on the market or that I am two cards away from finishing my old sets?

There was a time a few years ago when I was on the absolute forefront on the documentation of Wizards of the Coast Black Star Promos. I may have had the only sealed collection of these cards (meaning every card in every packaged version it ever got) in the world. I've hugely downsized since then, but I still collect expensive cards who soothe the wounds of my inner child.

Would I be indulged here? I don't want to seem like some nostalgia junkie amongst people more interested in modern play.

N.Domixis

Banned
Here is the beautiful and majestic pokemon card I got from Toys R Us. Hnnnnnnng. This is what pokemon cards should look like not the convoluted shit we have now with ex, break, FA, holos, secrets, ex, M ex, and what ever else is out there now a days.

4AW9a77.jpg
Will definitely be going back to get the electabuz promo card. Will probably ask for more than one this time. One card is not enough to quench my thirst. Will be buying a couple of these charmaders from kids or ebay.

Bii

Would I be indulged here? I don't want to seem like some nostalgia junkie amongst people more interested in modern play.

A little of both, I would say. Feel free to talk about anything related to the Pokemon TCG, old or new.

Is Evolutions officially out? My nearby Toys R Us is selling them, and I bought 20 booster packs. Opened 10 so far, and got a "classic" Charizard. Quite happy.

Toys R Us is selling them a few days earlier.

I went to my TRU Pokemon event to grab the promo Charmander. For some reason, they didn't have any Pikachu figures to give out to the first 50 people who line up, so they decide to open up a few booster packs of Breakpoint and give out one random card to each person. :/ While waiting in line, I decided to buy four Evolutions packs. I was rather disappointment with my pulls especially since the packs are more expensive than other retailers when they sell them (i.e. TRU is $4.99, Target is $4.29):

Yeah, only a Chansey holo. In the other three packs, I got three non-holo rares: Arcanine, Starmie and Farfetch'd. The "Collector's Album" is practically useless. It has a checklist but does not list the secret rares, it has a few slots for you to put cards in (I wouldn't as it requires you to bend your cards a bit to lock the corners in place), and the ordering of cards is not in sequential order.

Before I left, I bought an additional five packs and pulled these:

Well....that made up for it.

Ooccoo

Is it possible to turn a profit with PKMN boxes? I guess not because unlike MTG most cards dont have enough value?

Hey all,

Is this thread more for playing the modern TCG or is it a catch-all community thread for old-school collectors like me? I creep this thread sometimes, but I see it has much more the former than the latter.

Would I be out of place here wanting to talk about whether BCW sideloaders are the best trading card sleeves on the market or that I am two cards away from finishing my old sets?

There was a time a few years ago when I was on the absolute forefront on the documentation of Wizards of the Coast Black Star Promos. I may have had the only sealed collection of these cards (meaning every card in every packaged version it ever got) in the world. I've hugely downsized since then, but I still collect expensive cards who soothe the wounds of my inner child.

lol everyone get a load of this nerd

Just kidding; this thread is for anything pertaining to the Pokemon TCG, be it collecting, playing, the online game, etc. So feel free to share your thoughts and experiences.

Nightbird

Any TCGO players here who own a Glaceon EX?

I want one since i'm planning to build a Water/Fairy Deck sometime, and i definitely want Sylveon and Glaceon to be part of it :x

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
There is no easy way to get everything.
A box will help, but you'll likely still miss out on many Ultra Rares and most Secret Rares.
But it's definitely the best way to pull as many as possible.

While not as fun as opening packs, the cheapest method is probably to get a complete set online. Otherwise you'll be buying a few boxes and singles to get all the ultra and secret rares, while getting stacks of unneeded commons/uncommons.

Power creep. It's been mentioned already, but the new base set cards have been rebalanced because of this issue.

I was more talking digitally. Not paper.

johnsmith

remember me
I just discovered how good Battle Arena Deck Rayquaza vs Keldeo is.

tcg_battle_arena_decks_rayquaza_vs_keldeo_1_raw.jpg

The deck has some top quality cards in it that are used at high level play. The two VS Seeker cards alone have a lot of value and are worth like 10 bucks each.

Are these cards legal for standard? If I'm just starting should should I buy 2 of these?

Card Boy

Banned
Are these cards legal for standard? If I'm just starting should should I buy 2 of these?

Yes and no.

The deck itself is fully legal in expanded but some cards are reprinted from non standard sets which makes the illegible for standard play. Some cards however like Sycamore and VS Seeker will be legal in Standard.

Okay - Classic set collector here.

I've never actually played the TCG, only collected them. I mostly collect Gen 1 WotC sets. Not because I'm a genwunner, but because those were the sets I collected as a kid. I have been trying to expand into the Neo sets, but they are extraordinarily difficult to procure in the condition and printing I am interested in.

I am interested in collecting the XY Evolutions set because I really miss opening booster packs. When I started recollecting as an adult, I found a local card shop that still had some unopened packs from the classic sets. I got two Blastoise in a row. That was the card I had always wanted as a child and never got, so to get two was really surreal. It was the kind of random booster magic I was so often deprive of as a kid.

But can I just say how much I hate the new(ish) set numbering system? I know it was the Japanese standard, but I miss having front-loaded pages of glittering holos and rares. The new numerical/type system makes more sense categorically, but it's just not... fun. I don't like every page being one color. I miss the jamboree on every page.

I used to have a rule against reprint sets (Base 2/Legendary) in that I wouldn't collect them until I have collected all the different sets I was interested in. But it may be a long time before Neo cards become possible, since I only collect 1st Editions.

wow that's an amazing find.
how much did he sell those boosters for?

He sold them at $7 a pack, which was what he was selling them for in the 90s. It was pretty miraculous, really. I went in on a whim just to see what the store was like. It was mostly a hang out for older sports junkies who still liked baseball cards. I asked him if, by any chance at all, he still had any Pokémon boosters from 1998. He reached under the counter right where he was standing and pulled out a stack of about twenty packs of Base/Jungle/Fossil/Rocket cards. About half of them were 1st Edition packs, but the Base were all Unlimited or Shadowless.

I thought he was going to charge me a fortune, but he just looked at the old sticker and said $6.95.

Anony

wow, you really lucked out then, those things are worth a small fortune
i would have cleared out his inventory

wow, you really lucked out then, those things are worth a small fortune
i would have cleared out his inventory

Believe me, I did.

This was just before what I anecdotally call the "first boom". Since 2010, the cost/value of my sets has tripled. If I found those same packs in 2016, I wouldn't have opened any of them. I would have sold them and reaped the huge profit.

I paid $100 for my 1st Edition Jungle and $100 for my 1st Edition Fossil.
I paid $150 for my 1st Edition Rocket.

I put my Gym Sets together for less than $400 total.

Ah, 2010-2012, how I miss you.

I'm two cards away from my 1st Edition Base Set (Blastoise + Charizard) and I don't know how I will realistically ever be able to afford them. I'll have to subsidize it with tax returns or a bonus from work or something like that.

Loco4Coco

This Evolution expansion doesn't have many good cards competitive wise.. This Expansion seems more of a collectible if anything.

zeioIIDX

English Imakuni?'s Doduo? Holy shit. I remember in 6th grade, a kid had the Japanese version of it and showed it to me at recess, I was so damn jealous. I haven't bought Pokemon cards in forever. Still have all my originals from Base set up through Expedition Base set. Got into MTG and haven't played or collected Pokemon since but this newest set is about to make me run to the store today and buy up a few packs. Fucking nostalgia always grips me. This shit was like a drug back in '99.

Ricitor

I cannot believe that I have bought a pack of Pokemon cards. Last booster was about 8 years ago. Ordered a Theme Deck (which is random allocation) and the Blister Pack with the pins which should come on Friday. Depending on how that goes and general finances for the month I may pick up the Elite trainer box next week. The anticipation of getting a booster soon has that warm fuzzy feeling of nostalgia.

You win this time Pokemon Company. Although I really should dig out my old collection from storage. See if I had anything rare.

hazukash

I know the first (and last) time I posted in this thread I complained about awful pulls in my Venusaur EX Generations box that made me ragequit TCG, but man, I'm back in. I'm buying at least a booster pack when I go shopping tomorrow. I went to my local TRU for Charmander on Sunday and it got me hyped. Definitely going for Electabuzz in 3 weeks.

N.Domixis

Banned
I just bought 200 dollars worth of Pokemon xy evolutions, why bros why? I need to start saving my money.
2 booster boxes
And the trainer box.

Rellik

Evolutions booster box just came back in stock for me. Going to pull the trigger.

I did the "We'll inform you when this item is back in stock" thing that websites have, and 2 hours later I get the email saying it's back in stock haha

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The advertisment of this new retro set is solid, gonna buy some packs for the first time in over 10 years.

gazele

Banned
I kinda want to buy some boosters, but I only play the online game and its a lot of money…hmm

If anyone wants to add me on the online game my username is gazele87

johnsmith

remember me
I kinda want to buy some boosters, but I only play the online game and its a lot of money…hmm

If anyone wants to add me on the online game my username is gazele87

You can buy code cards on eBay for a lot cheaper than buying actual packs.

$35-40 for 100

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If I'm interested in trying out the physical TCG would it be a good entry point if I just wait and get a Sun & Moon starter set whenever that drops?

johnsmith

remember me
Target has the cards for 20% off on their website right now, doesn't seem to work in store though. Got the evolutions elite trainer box for $32.

If I'm interested in trying out the physical TCG would it be a good entry point if I just wait and get a Sun & Moon starter set whenever that drops?

New sets come out every 3 months, 1 just came out today, and the Sun & Moon one will come out in February. No real point in waiting.

Bane

So I ordered a box but because I'm impatient I grabbed four packs while getting the Mewtwo and Pikachu starters today. Got a holo Charizard and holo Mew for two of the rares. I'm not mad.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So I ordered a box but because I'm impatient I grabbed four packs while getting the Mewtwo and Pikachu starters today. Got a holo Charizard and holo Mew for two of the rares. I'm not mad.

I'm pissed there's no Starters theme deck. I want a Charizard. :( But I did get the Mewtwo one. Leaving the Pikachu one to get coins for.

That'd leave like 130 or so of the Gen 1 cards to getin terms of the 'mons. Not sure I want to spend $100 on a box and hope I get them all. :/

Busaiku

I got 2 boxes and went to 2 prereleases, and I only have 6 cards left to complete the set, 8 if I don't count the reverse holo Charizards and Magneton.
Still need full art Mega Charizard and Blastoise, full art and regular Mewtwo EX, regular Dragonite EX, and regular Pidgeot EX.

My online pulls suck though.

I wanna run Brock's Grit, Misty's Determination, and Dragonite EX, but I don't like only using 1 of anything.
I hate the regular Trainer cards in this set though, so I'd only run the full arts. Definite EX is good either way.

It's great that Charizard is so valued though.
I can basically make back my money with the cards I don't care for.

Card Boy

Banned
Brocks Grit is a legit good card and i can see it being played in alot of decks and its only an Uncommon.

1105187.jpg

(Full Art Ultra Rare version)

JoeM86

Mine arrived yesterday

CwQZ0kTXgAQvpx8.jpg

Got some fantastic pulls. No standard Charizard though :( Girlfriend recorded the entire unboxing for her youtube channel so I'll provide a link when live

Seiniyta

Well, bought my first Pokémon Cards in probably 15 years or more. As a kid I had a huge bunch of Pokémon cards. I regret not having taken very good care of the cards back then (with my parents eventually throwing them away).

Considering the Evolutions set has the classic cards. Well, I felt it was a good time rebuilding the collection. I won't be playing the physical card game but I'll probably start collecting a lot of them again.

Just bought the Pikachu Power theme deck and the Portfolio to hold the cards in. I'll probably buy some booster packs when I can spare money.

I come seeking help, Pokemon TCGAF. I want to buy some XY Evolutions packs so I can hopefully get some of those nice reprints but i've been away from the game too long. What's the best way to get rare cards? I see that there's a 3 booster pack set with one rare card for like 12 bucks. Would that be a good place to start? Or is it better to go for solo booster packs?

So I posted a few weeks ago about remaking the ancient meta standard Haymaker in 2016 once Evolutions came out and said I probably wouldn't be winning any games...

Didn't fight any EX decks but uh, I wasn't expecting this kind of viability 17 years later. Pressure Lugia is a massive problem for this deck at least, but then again I couldn't get an Electabuzz out early enough so who knows how different it would have gone.

Rellik

Mine arrived yesterday

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwQZ0kTXgAQvpx8.jpg[img]

Got some fantastic pulls. No standard Charizard though :( Girlfriend recorded the entire unboxing for her youtube channel so I'll provide a link when live[/QUOTE]

Nice. Mine arrives tomorrow, but I've not even opened up all my packs of Generations yet so I should get to those first.

Fishious

I come seeking help, Pokemon TCGAF. I want to buy some XY Evolutions packs so I can hopefully get some of those nice reprints but i've been away from the game too long. What's the best way to get rare cards? I see that there's a 3 booster pack set with one rare card for like 12 bucks. Would that be a good place to start? Or is it better to go for solo booster packs?

I'm not the most up to date since I just started playing the game again, but here's my take:

If you're looking to collect a set the typical way is to buy some booster boxes, 3 pack blisters, or individual packs. After you start getting doubles start trading those those for cards you still need or sell them and buy the singles you need. Going this route, you're going to mainly be looking at the price per pack. In that sense the 3 pack blister isn't so great since it's $4 per pack, but those typically come with promo cards only available through the blister pack. Sites like www.coolstuffinc.com sell individual packs for $2.69 so by comparison 3 packs only cost $8.07 (+shipping). So if you don't want the promo just buy individual packs. If you do, see if it can be bought cheaper as a single. Alternatively if the promo is valuable you could also use it as trade fodder/sell.

If you're looking to play the game and want a specific deck then it's cheaper to just buy singles unless you have the devil's luck or mad trading skills. If you're totally lost you can buy one of the theme decks. They're usually not that great, but you know exactly what you're getting when you buy plus it has all the rules and tokens you'll need to play. If you want to dabble with both collecting and playing you can buy a few packs, then filling out the deck buying singles also works.

If you just happen to be walking through Walmart and want to grab a few cards for nostalgia's sake then the 3 pack blister is a decent option.

Top Bottom