• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

tranciful

You're overpowered in the demo. Kill your pawns in the first quest and solo the Chimera without using herbs if you want to enjoy a stiffer challenge. You won't be obligated to use a full party in the actual game, but you'll also have more trouble because the things can be quite relentless. With every injury, your maximum HP goes down until you can rest (think of getting cursed repeatedly in Dark Souls), and many quests seem like they'll be tests of endurance that require you to travel carefully over long distances. Many areas are unsafe and will overwhelm you, and, at night, the game practically becomes survival horror. Hopefully the new game plus adds more difficulty if things do end up too easy.

Do we know how overpowered we are in the demo..? Because I basically didn't have to worry about being hit. I could just concentrate on attacking.

ironcreed

Banned
If this thread teaches us anything, it's that no two people can agree on what looks good.

LOL, pretty much. Just get which version appeals to you and enjoy the game. I still say the PS3 version is fine, though. Especially in that new Japanese stream. Where it is clearly running much smoother than the demo, which is an old build.

Skilletor

Looks like the framerate has definitely been improved in this footage. Running really smooth.

HOLY SHIT @ that spell around 13:00. Jesus christ.

Definitely rolling mage!

I just do not see the horrible framerate. There are 4 mages destroying shit at the same time and it looks like it holds.

ironcreed

Banned
HOLY SHIT @ that spell around 13:00. Jesus christ.

Definitely rolling mage!

The spell effects are indeed incredible. I still want to roll assassin on my first go, but am really looking forward to trying everything out. All the vocations just look so varied and fun.

Effect

I really like the character animations. How when a pawn is picked up and put back down they'll dust themselves off. How characters respond when knocked down and get back up. How the stun animation looks. etc. All of that goes a very long way for me. The spell effects look amazing as well.

A few questions. I know there is a storage system in the game. Any housing? Also I think they said they said there were romance options of some kind but do they relate to your custom pawn? I also wonder if we can alter the character and pawn's appearance after they are created and while we are playing.

Anteater

Do we know how overpowered we are in the demo..? Because I basically didn't have to worry about being hit. I could just concentrate on attacking.

Probably won't know until reviews are out with more hands-on, but for starter you won't really start with awesome AIs and gears, building them is part of the gameplay. In the demo, Salde does a pretty good job keeping enemies away from the party, so the player could just stand around and mash buttons, but if you were to take out the tank, you'll need to do those yourself which balances it out a lot better.

In the retail game I think they will probably have more trouble since they might not start out as good as they are in the demo, and you have other factors like healing items and traveling. However we don't really know other than judging the difficulty based on a few previews, where journalists are saying you will definitely get wrecked if you don't prepare enough, but we don't know how good they are :p the guy in the Gametrailer stream played horribly

Derrick01

Banned
This game needs to come out now. After how salty I am over the god of war reveal I need a new single player action game to kill some huge bosses. 3 weeks left still :(

89DvF.jpg

It's funny, because I was making a cool Italian dude, then I was cycling through the mustaches and was like, "wait a second..."

Anyway, I'm gonna feel weird playing him as a magic archer.

Deadstar

Just played the demo and I thought it was really awesome. The animation is just insane. Framerate wasn't great but it looks like that will be improved. Anyone know if the black bars will go away in the real game?

ironcreed

Banned
http://ps360.ldblog.jp/archives/53618921.html

360 Avg:28.014fps Min-Max:23.0-30.0fps Tear:27.391%(27.391%)
PS3 Avg:23.512fps Min-Max:18.0-30.5fps Tear:0.000%(0.000%)

That amount of tearing sucks ass but i'll take it over such a low framerate.

The demo is an old build. Check out the improvement in the new Japanese stream that was posted on the previous page. Either way, this is kind of what we figured. Just pick which version you like and roll with it. Sticking with the PS3 version for zero tearing and controller preference.

Derrick01

Banned
So PS3 version is about what I expected it, around 24 on average. I didn't notice dips though so that's a good thing. Also good to see a big fat 0 in that tearing section.

Vamphuntr

Hopefully the final builds run much better. Still going with the 360 version anyway. Tried both and while I hate both tearing and FPS drop, low FPS annoys me much more. It probably tears as much as Dead Rising 2 Case Zero and that teared like crazy.

Yeahhhhh, I'll take tearing over 18 frames. Personally when I'm playing a game, I don't see tearing. When I watch someone else playing, I see it. When I'm playing I see and feel a shitty framerate. Hoping Amazon adds a 10 dollar off a future purchase incentive.

Wow this is a bit of a technical mess, PS3 version 24FPS are you serious?? That is pretty unbelievable. I will hold out for a PC version announcement for a while, if that doesn't pan out then 360 version I guess.

Lain

I'll take an average of 24fps with 0 screen tearing personally, though I'd prefer a constant 30 with 0 tearing.

ironcreed

Banned
People are forgetting that the demo is an old ass build. Watch the new Japanese stream on the previous page. It looks much smoother.

LProtag

Is a difference of 4fps that much of a difference? I'm honestly just curious as I don't seem to notice much in terms of framerate in games, or I'm just not that bothered by it.

demigod

Yeahhhhh, I'll take tearing over 18 frames. Personally when I'm playing a game, I don't see tearing. When I watch someone else playing, I see it. When I'm playing I see and feel a shitty framerate. Hoping Amazon adds a 10 dollar off a future purchase incentive.

I like how you pick the lowest framerate to bash at the PS3 version. I thought you couldn't handle 24fps, what happened now that the 360 isn't constant 30 fps?

Wow this is a bit of a technical mess, PS3 version 24FPS are you serious?? That is pretty unbelievable. I will hold out for a PC version announcement for a while, if that doesn't pan out then 360 version I guess.

No it's not, I've already said it was around that mark. The game plays fine, play it yourself before passing judgement.

cgcg

Almost 30% screen tearings. Minimal screen tearings my ass. So this means on average the game tears 3 times per second. I find it unbelievable that people can't notice that amount of shit going across your screen so often. Shame that the framerate on PS3 is in such a state. Althoughthe the gigantic black borders are the worst offender.

"I like how you pick the lowest framerate to bash at the PS3 version. I thought you couldn't handle 24fps, what happened now that the 360 isn't constant 30 fps?"

Pretty hilarious isn't it? Went on and on about how rock solid the framerate in the 360 version was, then picked 18fps as if that's the typical framerate on the PS3 version while ignoring the 23fps number for the 360.

I like how you pick the lowest framerate to bash at the PS3 version. I thought you couldn't handle 24fps, what happened now that the 360 isn't constant 30 fps?

I picked the number that was the lowest because that's the lowest it goes. Ultimately all that matters with the demo is that the 360 version is smooth and playable(drops when the dragon breathes fire), whereas the PS3 demo is anything but smooth and it affects gameplay ALL THE TIME, specifically bows. I can only assume the anger some people have about MY PREFERENCE is due to some console affinity nonsense. I own both consoles so that I get to choose the best version of multi-plats. This time it's 360. Next time it will probably be PS3.

Hopefully reviews will be up early enough detailing how different the final is from the demo (of each). For now my pre-order remains on 360.

demigod

I picked the number that was the lowest because that's the lowest it goes. Ultimately all that matters with the demo is that the 360 version is smooth and playable, whereas the PS3 demo is anything but smooth and it affects gameplay, specifically bows. I can only assume the anger some people have about MY PREFERENCE is due to some console affinity nonsense. I own both consoles so that I get to choose the best version of multi-plats. This time it's 360. Next time it will probably be PS3.

Hopefully reviews will be up early enough detailing how different the final is from the demo (of each). For now my pre-order remains on 360.

This is funny coming from you, who played Dark Souls. Hypocrite much? Yeah play what you want but don't try to downplay the PS3's version when there are other games with worse framerate.

I picked the number that was the lowest because that's the lowest it goes. Ultimately all that matters with the demo is that the 360 version is smooth and playable(drops when the dragon breathes fire), whereas the PS3 demo is anything but smooth and it affects gameplay ALL THE TIME, specifically bows. I can only assume the anger some people have about MY PREFERENCE is due to some console affinity nonsense. I own both consoles so that I get to choose the best version of multi-plats. This time it's 360. Next time it will probably be PS3.

According to shidoshi, who has played the full release on PS3, the framerate drops are only when entering a new area.

This is funny coming from you, who played Dark Souls. Hypocrite much? Yeah play what you want but don't try to downplay the PS3's version when there are other games with worse framerate.

What's funny is how poorly you handle other people's opinions. Do you think the more angry and belligerent you get, the more likely I'll be to change *my* opinion? And now you're calling me names. How mature of you. Did I ever state Dark Souls had a consistently awful framerate? No. It had 3 shitty areas. If it was as consistently bad as the PS3 demo of DD, I would never have played it to completion. I'm enjoying the 360 demo of the game. So what's your problem? That I dared prefer the 360 version over the PS3 version? Take your console warrior bullshit elsewhere.

According to shidoshi, who has played the full release on PS3, the framerate drops are only when entering a new area.

I assume due to loading the level/area. Drops aren't the issue in the demo, though. It's consistently low, which is my problem with it. I don't know Shidoshi, but has he commented on that aspect of it? Appreciate the info, btw.

demigod

Thanks btw eLZhi for the sliders. It looked a tad different when I made mine, is it because of your camera when you took the pic? Yours look darker.

demigod

What's funny is how poorly you handle other people's opinions. Do you think the more angry and belligerent you get, the more likely I'll be to change *my* opinion? And now you're calling me names. How mature of you. Did I ever state Dark Souls had a consistently awful framerate? No. It had 3 shitty areas. If it was as consistently bad as the PS3 demo of DD, I would never have played it to completion. I'm enjoying the 360 demo of the game. So what's your problem? That I dared prefer the 360 version over the PS3 version? Take your console warrior bullshit elsewhere.

3 shitty areas? The game's framerate CONSTANTLY drops. You're the one that keeps coming back and whining about the PS3's framerates while ignoring the screen tearing on the 360. I *never* said the PS3 version was better, where is this console warrior bs you're getting from? Fact, PS3 has lower framerate, 360 has constant tearing.

3 shitty areas? The game's framerate CONSTANTLY drops.

Dropping isn't the issue. Consistently AWFUL framerate is why I won't ever play the PS3 demo again. The 360 framerate drops under rare circumstances. I'll gladly suffer that for a good game. I also don't give a fuck about tearing since I don't see it when I'm playing. A terrible framerate is something I can't ignore. Hem and haw all you want now. I'm done engaging with you about something that was played out pages ago.

Thanks btw eLZhi for the sliders. It looked a tad different when I made mine, is it because of your camera when you took the pic? Yours look darker.

np

My camera actually lightened the colors when I took the pic. Maybe you picked the wrong skin color? Different settings on our TVs could be the cause as well.

I9PvX.jpg

I assume due to loading the level/area. Drops aren't the issue in the demo, though. It's consistently low, which is my problem with it. I don't know Shidoshi, but has he commented on that aspect of it? Appreciate the info, btw.

This is all he's said:

I've been playing the PS3 version of the game. The only time I ever notice framerate issues is when first entering a new area.

So yeah, it may still be constantly low.

Anteater

Yea just as everyone expected, someone that said it seems "locked at 24fps" has good eyes
KuGsj.gif

I guess it does run at a consistent framerate and framerate drops probably won't be too severe when a lot of spells are going off, which is really weird to be honest, I've also noticed this with the Pax stream, where spells are going off in a room and exploding and it holds up really well, I wish it would be a few fps higher regularly.

The final game will have more optimizations, they mentioned the switch to FXAA that wasn't in the E3, TGS and Pax build, so I hope switching to that might improve improvement a bit, but I'm not holding my breath.

Shidoshi also mentioned this

Just to be clear, what I mean is that if you were to ask me if the game has framerate problems, I'd say only when you're switching zones (as in, say, leaving a town). If people are super-picky about framerate, they might find more issues than I, but I've never felt like framerate was affecting my enjoyment any.

I'm curious to try the Xbox 360 version of the game, though, since some people have said they noticed tearing issues with that demo. I tend to notice that far more than I do framerate issues (unless we're talking noticeable issues).

So unless the demo was directly compared, we probably won't know whether it's actually better :p

This month is going so slow :(

mollipen

Those were the only points where I felt "oh, the framerate is breaking!" Otherwise, I never felt the framerate was a bother—but again, some might be pickier than I am.

Just watched all of the 4 Mages video. Some crazy spells. Tornado looks like it takes forever to cast, but the end result is cool. The meteor shower was badass too.

Those were the only points where I felt "oh, the framerate is breaking!" Otherwise, I never felt the framerate was a bother—but again, some might be pickier than I am.

Did you also play the PS3 demo? If so, how does the framerate compare. If you haven't, then no big deal.

Anteater

Just watched all of the 4 Mages video. Some crazy spells. Tornado looks like it takes forever to cast, but the end result is cool. The meteor shower was badass too.

I wonder if there are those huge long spells for the other elements, now I want my pawn to be a sorcerer, but who's going to heal!?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I wonder if there are those huge long spells for the other elements, now I want my pawn to be a sorcerer, but who's going to heal!?

I'm stuck on what the highest level assassin abilities could be. like a x5 bomb to plant ... or a flying death leap ... crazy critical strike chances...sooo curious.

doomquake

no horses?

Hope there is more hair selection too..need some proper Gats hair.

Also wish this eventually gets ported to PC, since the viewing distance is a bit low for my taste. You can notice torches popping in.

Top Bottom