• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

I abandoned the watch party I was at when it looked like Florida was going south. Then i stayed at home and played Splatoon all night because I had no cable so couldn't watch TV without getting confronted by the looming reality. I tried to avoid reading the internet, but the stupid Twitter feed they added to the Windows start menu meant i was exposed to the reality when i went to shut down my computer for the night.

I was very vexed by how little my boss seemed to care the next day. He was a black man raising money for a homeless shelter. GOP control of the government should've been a death sentence for all of them (given how much they relied on HUD grants to stay afloat).

Was also the first time i had Qdoba. Which is a shame because now i think Qdoba is jinxed.

bananas

Banned
I was very vexed by how little my boss seemed to care the next day. He was a black man raising money for a homeless shelter. GOP control of the government should've been a death sentence for all of them (given how much they relied on HUD grants to stay afloat).
(Insert clip of SNL Election Night skit with Dave Chappelle)

dakini

Yeah, I hosted a watch party with a small group of friends. The night went from excitement to absolute dread in a matter of hours. As it was happening I felt numb and was in shock. I didn't go to sleep until like 5 AM, but I had to get up at 7 since I had a doctor's appointment. When I got back home and watched Hillary's concession speech, that's when I started crying. Among my friend group it felt like someone really close to us had died. I was in a terrible mood for a week.

I saw the reverse. Non political friends were wondering what happened. I remember one acquaitance on FB who vehemently was against voting at all because he believed his vote didn't matter because of the electoral college and Bush beating Gore. When the result was certain he was freaking out.
Thats what i meant. Non political friends calling poligaf members to ask them what was happening. i couldn’t even answer my mom much less friends.

"Short Term Health Insurance Plans"

Am I the only one who thinks that literally doesn't make sense? The whole idea behind insurance is you pay in for a long time while you don't need it, and when you do need it they get you back. Short Term Insurance sounds like something the Insurance industry would vehemently hate because it allows for major inconsistency.

”Chuck and Nancy" can't force things to a vote that R leadership doesn't want a vote on. Even if they have a coalition of votes over majority.

See the ”Byrd Rule"

Funny that they are fine with the Byrd Rule considering they have regularly shit on Byrd as a person over the past 20 or so years. I remember Conservatives criticizing Hillary for saying Sen. Byrd was one of her teachers as proof that she didn't care about minorities/was racist--considering Byrd's past affiliation with the KKK.

Tamanon

Banned
"Short Term Health Insurance Plans"

Am I the only one who thinks that literally doesn't make sense? The whole idea behind insurance is you pay in for a long time while you don't need it, and when you do need it they get you back. Short Term Insurance sounds like something the Insurance industry would vehemently hate because it allows for major inconsistency.

It's basically COBRA. Expensive and useless.

Teggy

“Chuck and Nancy” can’t force things to a vote that R leadership doesn’t want a vote on. Even if they have a coalition of votes over majority.

See the “Byrd Rule”

Don’t you mean the Hastert rule? The one named after the sexual abuser.

Don’t you mean the Hastert rule? The one named after the sexual abuser.
And the one Hastert himself said wasn’t a real thing.

Nancy in theory could get Rs to sign a discharge petition which would force a floor vote, but wouldn’t you know it, they refuse to actually go against leadership. Sure, they’ll cosponsor any bill willy nilly that would easily get more than 300 votes if it actually came to the floor, but they’re just terrified of the ramifications of going against this guy

time_paulryan_20111205_0519.jpg

chadskin

JESUS CHRIST

President Donald Trump told the widow of a US serviceman killed in the ambush in Niger that "he knew what he signed up for, but I guess it still hurt," according to Rep. Frederica Wilson.

The body of Sgt. La David Johnson was returned home to the Miami area late Tuesday afternoon, with the plane receiving a water cannon salute as it arrived near the gate.

The call from the President to Johnson's widow came shortly before Johnson's casket arrival, Wilson, a Florida Democrat, said on "CNN Tonight with Don Lemon" Tuesday.

"Basically he said, 'Well, I guess he knew what he signed up for, but I guess it still hurt,' " Wilson said, adding that she listened to part of the call on speaker phone while in a vehicle with the family.

"That's what he said," she added.

Asked earlier if she was sure the President said that, Wilson told CNN affiliate WPLG: "Yeah, he said that. You know, ... that is something that you can say in a conversation, but you shouldn't say that to a grieving widow. Everyone knows when you go to war you could possibly not come back alive, but you don't remind a grieving widow of that. That is so insensitive. So insensitive."

CNN asked the White House for comment. A White House official said, "The President's conversations with the families of American heroes who have made the ultimate sacrifice are private."

CNN was unable to reach the family for comment.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/17/politics/frederica-wilson-widow-fallen-soldier/index.html

JettDash

So how does Trump think that he can fight back against McCain? McCain was reelected last year and will probably die before his seat is up again in 2022.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Pruitt is the worst.

CNN: Pruitt: Scientists receiving federal grants will be cut from EPA advising roles
Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt says scientists who sit on EPA advisory boards and committees who have also received federal grants for studies could be cut from their roles as soon as next week, citing a lack of objectivity in their research.

Speaking at a Heritage Foundation event on Tuesday, Pruitt said that scientists who serve on those advisory boards who have also received funding from the EPA may not be "objective."

"There are dozens and dozens of these folks. Over the years these individuals, as they've served in those capacities, guess what's also happened? They've received monies through grants, and often substantial monies through grants," he said.

Pruitt said having individuals on EPA advisory boards who have received grants from the agency raises red flags.

"That to me causes question on the independence and the veracity and the transparency of those recommendations that are coming our way," he said.

Pruitt said he would act next week to "fix that."
"The American people deserve an objective, transparent and honest discussion about what we know or don't know with respect to CO2 -- it's never taken place." Pruitt said.

Jesus that Snowden part is just hilarious a literal Ron Paul 2012er

Also this statement from Snowden is hilarious:

”Russia, Venezuela, Bolivia, Nicaragua, and Ecuador have my gratitude and respect for being the first to stand against human rights violations carried out by the powerful rather than the powerless. By refusing to compromise their principles in the face of intimidation, they have earned the respect of the world."

God I love this piece

It was in his pro bono work that Greenwald discovered his true passion: defending the civil liberties of extremists.

I'm dying of laughter here.

LOl Greenwald also loved Ron Paul... they're all just Paulbots. Splendid.

In 2010, Greenwald began attacking the Obama administration from the left on a variety of domestic issues, attacking Wall Street corruption, opposing cuts to Social Security and Medicare, and decrying inequality. Yet even as he insisted on his left liberalism, he remained a steadfast promoter of Ron Paul—”far and away the most anti-war, anti-Surveillance-State, anti-crony-capitalism, and anti-drug-war presidential candidate in either party. "(After Paul's son, then senatorial candidate Rand Paul, questioned the Civil Rights Act, Greenwald agreed with criticism that the remark was ”wacky," but insisted that the real ”crazies" in American politics were mainstream Democrats and Republicans.) In a debate with The Nation columnist Katha Pollitt, Greenwald justified how progressives could back Ron Paul over Obama. How his vaunted allies would govern over issues that he professes to hold dear—Social Security, Medicare, economic inequality, gay rights—is a subject he has not addressed.

This is the most Greendwaldian thing ever

Just say no to Paulbots

Greenwald has defended Assange's association with RT, arguing that working for the Russian network is no different from writing for major U.S. outlets such as The Washington Post, NBC, and The Wall Street Journal, all of them supposedly corrupted by their right-wing corporate ownership.)

Nevermind I take it back... this is the most Greenwaldian thing ever... Washington Post, NBC, RT... all the same thing.

Inspected carefully, however, the documents are plainly not ”training materials." Instead, they are more likely the PowerPoint version of a puffed-up marketing brochure, possibly or even probably from an outside contractor trying to sell the program to the NSA. The title slide dates from January 2007, which means that they predate important legislation passed in August 2007 and July 2008 that sharply checked the NSA. And the slides say absolutely nothing about giving users the power to read e-mails, with or without a warrant. Greenwald's article does cite another set of xKeyscore materials which dates from 2012, and which might well prove that the article's claims and Snowden's statement were accurate and truthful. But Greenwald and The Guardian have not made those materials public, and when the defense writer Joshua Foust, who pointed out many of these criticisms, subsequently questioned them about the documents, Guardian editors replied that they had no intention of releasing them. The champions of ”transparency" have been remarkably opaque when they choose to be.

This is my favorite article ever written.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Nick Confessore
@nickconfessore
President Trump took a question about being silent on deaths of 4 soldiers and turned it into a fact-check news cycle about Bush & Obama.
7:53 PM · Oct 17, 2017
This is what pisses me off about the press lately. The issue was that he ignored the an attack on US soldiers. Now it's a stupid tabloid story because they have no focus.

Damn, didn't even know about that, just his claims about Bush and Obama not doing it. I guess people just like going after the easiest but least nutritious fruit. But that might be what's best for both politics and ratings, I don't know.

Is it more or less scary to have a hypothetical candidate with the same fascist goals and racist populism as Trump, but none of the ridiculous statements and character flaws that distract from it?

Trump's "knew what he signed up for" flub has an easy fix. Reinstate the draft, then he won't need to risk showing that lack of empathy in his calls since it will no longer apply!

PS, please don't.

I want to personally thank excelsiorlef for opening my eyes regarding former warmonger, Bush lover and "hordes" hater Glenn Greenwald.

Now I need to find a new twitter account from where to get my Brazil politics fix.

Pruitt is probably doing the most damage out of anyone in the cabinet. The guy is pure evil and tries to destroy evidence and the infrastructure of climate science. He is deliberately targeting the structures we need to do good science.
The damage he does is incomprehensible. Yet it goes largely unnoticed because the negative effects, although probably by far the biggest out of all the things this administration has done so far, aren't immediate.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I want to personally thank excelsiorlef for opening my eyes regarding former warmonger, Bush lover and "hordes" hater Glenn Greenwald.

Now I need to find a new twitter account from where to get my Brazil politics fix.

Can I recommend @cher

Joe

Anyone else have friends on Facebook that were visibly supporting Donald Trump for months leading up to the election only to revert back to posting nothing but shitty food photos and nonsense about crappy TV shows in the year long shitstorm that has followed?

Zolo

Anyone else have friends on Facebook that were visibly supporting Donald Trump for months leading up to the election only to revert back to posting nothing but shitty food photos and nonsense about crappy TV shows in the year long shitstorm that has followed?

Season's over. They'll be back when it's campaigning time.

Ludovico

Can anyone explain what's happening with the Comey/Hillary gaslighting coming from Trump's Twitter right now?
Complete fabrication, misrepresentation of facts, something stupid and unrelated, or just the fact that Comey wrote down everything he did or thought through?

I'm guessing one of the first two, fox has been blasting this.

JettDash

Does Donald Trump not know that he is the President? If he is so sure that Hillary is a traitorous criminal that he can actually do something about it besides bitch on Twitter?

By god, Trump made stoic as ice Mark Halperin upset with his comments yesterday.

Our enemies enemy isn't our friend, though.
Its nice to see that some on the right oppose Trump, but we should be careful not see them as our allies. Most of them, from what I can tell, are either libertarians or neocons.

Its would be terrible if democrats are so shell shocked by Trump that they move to the right and forget that neoconservatism is toxic as hell.

I also think the sympathy people like John McCain and G.W. Bush receive from the center and the left for opposing Trump is extremely concerning.
Its great that deep down in these there is a conscience somewhere, but they are still terrible people.

Democrats should define themselves by offering policy alternatives, not by aligning themselves anti-Trump conservatives.
Just being "not Trump" wasn't enough in 2016 and it won't be enough in 2018 or 2020.

This is where people like Greenwald have a point.
Here is a recent retweet:
DMagarmWkAA91n2.jpg

This was said by Joy Reid.
If democrats go down that route they are doomed.

During the Obama years I saw a lot of progress in the US. It reached a point where I said that after one or two Clinton terms the US might be ready for actual social democracy, which could solve so many of their critical problems.
But Trump single handedly undid all this progress and threw the US back to pre-Bush times.
This extreme shift to the right was triggered by Trump, but the reason it worked unilaterally is because the DNC embraced a centrist approach and figured that a shift to the right has to be their answer to Trump.
I think the exact opposite is the case.
You don't win a shit flinging competition against Trump.

Democrats need to come forward with a vision again.
Trump had a vision, albeit a terrible one, but that appealed to many voters.
Democrats almost seemed afraid to state their vision.
Clinton had a very good educational vision, one that would have helped the rust belt a lot. Not a single minute in the almost 2 year election was used to tell people about her vision, tell them about what she thinks the problem in the region is and why her plan can solve the problem. Completely incomprehensible. Did they think people wouldn't understand?

Toth

ENOUGH ABOUT HILLARY TRUMP. Good lord.

edit: Not being able to successfully intimidate the NFL is clearly pissing him off too. Sad!

JettDash

This extreme shift to the right was triggered by Trump, but the reason it worked unilaterally is because the DNC embraced a centrist approach and figured that a shift to the right has to be their answer to Trump.
I think the exact opposite is the case.
You don't win a shit flinging competition against Trump.

Please. Policy (outside of what Trump can do under his own authority) hasn't even swung much to the right. Because Democrats are actually pretty unified and the Republicans aren't. Nancy and Chuck are doing a great job opposing the orange sack of shit.

Please. Policy (outside of what Trump can do under his own authority) hasn't even swung much to the right. Because Democrats are actually pretty unified and the Republicans aren't. Nancy and Chuck are doing a great job opposing the orange sack of shit.

But they are also profiting from Trump extreme incompetence.
He doesn't know how democracy works.
Obama worked tirelessly to get the votes for the ACA for about 2 years.
Trump thought he'd just by default get the support for a laughably terrible bill right away.

This incompetence is saving our asses right now. But I am scared that the democrats lack of identity will result in just another Republican after Trump who will be much more effective with similar policies compared to Trump, by being less like Trump when it comes to the general behavior.
And at the end of the day we end up with equally terrible stuff, just delivered by a less cartoonish villain...

Ludovico

Does Donald Trump not know that he is the President? If he is so sure that Hillary is a traitorous criminal that he can actually do something about it besides bitch on Twitter?

This is only for his base, that STILL believe we dodged a bullet by not electing Hillary.

My mom is one of those people, but i just keep pointing out all the hypocrisy....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom