• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS|OT|October 2017- The only thing scarier than Messi's avatar are Marvels sales

Some Nobody

reading Snyder Batman.. his Joker is real fucking creepy. perfect reading for these Fall mornings.

you guys are selling me on this GL - will check her out at some point. thank you for organizng which books i need!

i always wanted to read that big Johns GL epic run but it was so unweildy. im glad i can pick up a smaller scale GL run and get a cool minority character in the process.

It's like....80 issues? Not that bad IMO. Green Lanterns is only at 26 issues so far tho so it's definitely easier. Writer change coming too so that's a nice stopping point until we see how Tim Seeley does.

I am SO excited for the switch, though. Unless they ruin it by making Simon and Jessica start dating. :(

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It's like....80 issues? Not that bad IMO. Green Lanterns is only at 26 issues so far tho so it's definitely easier. Writer change coming too so that's a nice stopping point until we see how Tim Seeley does.

I am SO excited for the switch, though. Unless they ruin it by making Simon and Jessica start dating. :(

it's more a matter of which books to pick up - is volumes 1-8 enough? it ends at Blackest Night trade, do i need to pick up anything with it?

also:
Forever Evil just issues 1-7?
New 52 Justice League vol 6-8
-- does N52 "Green Lanterns" vol 1-3 go here?
Rebirth Green Lanterns

it's more a matter of which books to pick up - is volumes 1-8 enough? it ends at Blackest Night trade, do i need to pick up anything with it?

also:
Rebirth Green Lanterns
No, she never showed up in the N52 GLs.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Finally got around to buy the second Brubaker Daredevil Complete Collection since it finally was avaiable for a reasonsble price. Wasnt really fond of the run in the beginning, but now it really gets good and I hope that I have to wait to long to get the third and final Complete Collection.

Well you would need Green Lantern Rebirth, then the volumes, then whatever Green Lantern Corps books cover the Sinestro Corp War, then the lead up to Blackest Night, then the Event and the GL tie in books.

tim1138

also:
Rebirth Green Lanterns

Forever Evil is just the 7 issues, correct.
Jessica did not show up in any of the N52 Green Lantern titles, vol 8 of Justice League ends the N52 era and you pick her story up in the Rebirth Green Lanterns book.

For Johns GL run you're gonna go:
Green Lantern Rebirth
No Fear
Wanted
Sinestro Corps War
Secret Origin
Rage of the Red Lanterns
Agent Orange
Blackest Night (both the event book and the Green Lantern tie in)
Brightest Day (the Green Lantern volume, not the standalone series)
War of the Green Lanterns
New52
Sinestro
Rise of Black Hand

from here you can either read the Rise of the Third Army and Wrath of the First Lantern trades or just follow Simon's story in The End.

jon bones

Well you would need Green Lantern Rebirth, then the volumes, then whatever Green Lantern Corps books cover the Sinestro Corp War, then the lead up to Blackest Night, then the Event and the GL tie in books.
yeah, i think i’ll pick Cruz as my intro to the GL world lol

yeah, i think i'll pick Cruz as my intro to the GL world lol

You know what, it is TOTALLY worth it. But it's alot to read at this point. I'm lucky I started just before Blackest Night was ramping up, plus I was unemployed at the time so I had all the time in the world.

A lot of the Johns run on GL was really good, though. Even if the length of the run is a bit overwhelming at this point.

It is. Also the Earth bound stuff towards the beginning is alright, but not really what it's remembered for.

Vic_Viper

A lot of the Johns run on GL was really good, though. Even if the length of the run is a bit overwhelming at this point.

I don't think it gets much better than Johns run on GL, atleast until New52. Hell I started reading comics again after hearing about Blackest Night when it first started. You have to remember, before this run Hal Jordan had been dead and before that he was the villain. The only minority GL I grew up with is John Stewart lol.

jon bones

Maybe some day I’ll get around to it, but I don’t have the time for it now.

Any harm going from Death of the Family -> Endgame?

What do I need to know about the volumes in between?

Ross61

Since Geen Arrow is going monthly, i wonder which artist is staying. I would mind either Schmidt or Ferreyra staying, but I also wouldn’t mind either on a different title. Hella smart of DC to get Schmidt on exclusive.

Messi

Since Geen Arrow is going monthly, i wonder which artist is staying. I would mind either Schmidt or Ferreyra staying, but I also wouldn’t mind either on a different title. Hella smart of DC to get Schmidt on exclusive.

Move Schmidt to Suicide Squad or Teen Titans

The whole weapon plus program was attempts to recreate some version of Cap, who was Weapon I.
Yup.

Keep in mind that the Bamboo Curtain (y'all thought you'd never hear that fucking name again) and the Russians made like, a billion attempts at their own super soldiers and power armors.

VanWinkle

Man, they need to do "complete collection" paperbacks for it like they have started with Johns' Hawkman, Teen Titans, JSA, etc. In fact, now that I'm listing them, I'm almost certain they will at some point. That will make it a lot easier for people to collect.

Granted, I really couldn't imagine starting the Johns run from scratch right now. I started it just after Sinestro War concluded.

Well it's a lot easier these days with the three omnibus volumes.

Vic_Viper

So many awesome concepts were introduced in Johns GL run that are still going to this day.
Starting with Sinestro's Yellow lanterns, then the Black in Darkest Night, to the rest of the spectrum. Say what you will about Brightest Day, but revealing Swamp Thing having ties to the Green in that way was such a massive oh shit moment imo.

We wouldnt have any of this if it wasnt for his GL run.

rainbow-corps.jpg

New thread title is brutal.

Marvel has really gotta turn itself around. Everything DC is doing feels fresh and new, you can just feel excited reading any of their books. With Marvel, it all feels so hum drum.

The big hook of Rebirth was original Wally West returning and the Watchmen. To say nothing of Metal which takes something that sounds dumb (Evil Alternate Reality Batman) and manages to make it interesting.

The big hook of Legacy is.....Wolverine coming back....again....when we already had his older self filling his spot for the past three years.

Mafro

Marvel has really gotta turn itself around. Everything DC is doing feels fresh and new, you can just feel excited reading any of their books. With Marvel, it all feels so hum drum.

The big hook of Rebirth was original Wally West returning and the Watchmen. To say nothing of Metal which takes something that sounds dumb (Evil Alternate Reality Batman) and manages to make it interesting.

The big hook of Legacy is.....Wolverine coming back....again....when we already had his older self filling his spot for the past three years.
They really should have timed things better and had Legacy leading into the Avengers relaunch instead of having that happen in around 6 months time or whenever.

I haven't been keeping up with Old Man Logan or the X-23 book, but is there any indication in the upcoming solicitations of Wolverine being in those or any of the X-Men books before his inevitable solo series?

They really should have timed things better and had Legacy leading into the Avengers relaunch instead of having that happen in around 6 months time or whenever.

I haven't been keeping up with Old Man Logan or the X-23 book, but is there any indication in the upcoming solicitations of Wolverine being in those or any of the X-Men books before his inevitable solo series?
Nope.

Ross61

So many awesome concepts were introduced in Johns GL run that are still going to this day.
Starting with Sinestro's Yellow lanterns, then the Black in Darkest Night, to the rest of the spectrum. Say what you will about Brightest Day, but revealing Swamp Thing having ties to the Green in that way was such a massive oh shit moment imo.

We wouldnt have any of this if it wasnt for his GL run.

rainbow-corps.jpg
Feel so sorry for those old dudes who hate John’s addition to the GL mythology

mreddie

That the issue post Secret Wars, no is guiding the ship like Hickman and Co. and the new audience prefers trades and digital but Diamond still dictates what is hot and what is not. Marvel is still getting by with the Marketshare lead but I expect the tables to turn once Clock hits.

NYCC has better bring some good news or Marvel Comics is looking at a rough 2018.

Big issue I had with Legacy was that it had very, very little in the way of real connective tissue. If the stories hadn't shared a singular narrator (and the loop back at the end with Loki), they would've effectively been nothing but a jumble of totally disconnected stories.

Whoa, October already. Finally caught up after a couple of days of no internet. Was getting withdrawal symptoms...

Now to get ready for October's wallet assault.

What's everyone's best moment from a comic? Can be from any type of book. Thought it would be a good closer to this thread and a good opener to the next one.

Best moments that I can currently think of...

Astro City, end of The Nearness of You.

And spoiler moment for people waiting for Simonson Thor Omnibus (and possibly for Thor 3 movie)

https://i.imgur.com/TOgw7CW.jpg

Vic_Viper

Rebirth: change happened immediatly
Legacy: Wait about 6 months...

This is exactly my largest issue with Legacy. With Rebirth the change was immediate. You got to see where the story continued in each and every book released the following week and every week since.

Legacy laid the foundation for a few random storylines and then had a few pages at the end that just listed all the upcoming issues and where to see each of the storylines.
The only thing connecting them all was Val and her brother searching for some universe and a sense of Legacy lol.
Problem is we have no idea where to continue this thread or the other thread with the return of
Logan
, which are by far the most important to the Marvel universe as a whole.

Sandfox

That the issue post Secret Wars, no is guiding the ship like Hickman and Co. and the new audience prefers trades and digital but Diamond still dictates what is hot and what is not. Marvel is still getting by with the Marketshare lead but I expect the tables to turn once Clock hits.

NYCC has better bring some good news or Marvel Comics is looking at a rough 2018.
I wouldn't use NYCC as an indicator of how Marvel will do in 2018 given what we usually see there.

Some Nobody

Feel so sorry for those old dudes who hate John’s addition to the GL mythology

Johns isn't perfect but I just assume if someone hates his work as a whole they just don't like superheroes. Most of the time he just has such a good grasp on them.

Anyone who likes Johns ' GL run can come round and read my Omnibusi or Absolutes.

Then I can make you read Hellboy before you leave

Top Bottom