• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2017 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

Dragon Quest XI is now available in Japan. That's a pretty big event in itself. I thought it's cool that they announce the localization the exact time the game's available on eShop/PSN.

Again, you could announce it but specifying platforms was too much?

Anyway. I have made my point so I wont keep at it any further

That would be a good number along with money from DLC etc etc .
Plus now the get a new set of assets they can reused for years .

PC is mostly where I see them pushing the extra million or so units. It will be a pretty popular game to mod I imagine.

ethomaz

Banned
Goes back to my other point. Why announce this today then? Is something special occuring today that makes it vital to announce a game with no platforms?

I'm not actually poking holes in what you are saying. I understand you're speculation. I just don't get why japanese publishers announce games without platforms. It serves no purpose.
Japanese publishers announces games without platforms because they are not sure about the platforms.

The game development is basically on PC and platforms can be choose middle to end of the project.

Now if they say the platforms today and in few months they had to cancel one of the platforms it will a big deal and affect negatively the marketing of the game.

Better to revel the platforms when they are sure they will release for that platform.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Japanese publishers announces games without platforms because they are not sure about the platforms.

The game development is basically on PC and platforms can be choose middle to end of the project.
We learn something new for Japan everyday lately.

Shengar

They're better off not raising their expectations too high. In the end it is Monster Hunter, and the appeal of it is still rather unproven across the west.

MH devs are doing this game right, so Capcom management better not fuck it up.

MH4U and MHGen both managed to mark a million on overseas on the 3DS, a platform that viewed as ill suited for action games.

How's that unproven? This thing about MH not able to sell in the west is already a bad meme at this point.

Now if they say the platforms today and in few months they had to cancel one of the platforms it will a big deal and affect negatively the marketing of the game.

Better to revel the platforms when they are sure they will release for that platform.

Publishers don't let games be commissioned without target platforms. Not sure where you got this idea from. How do you set expectations for a project or a budget if you don't know where you're launching it? It's not like Japanese publishers have a stellar track record of PC releases either.

LordKano

So, we'll likely see a good chunk of Persona announcements next week. Persona Q 2 is assuredly a 3DS game. Persona Dancing All Night 2 is more difficult to guess, since I doubt anyone would release a title of that scale when Vita is practically nonexistent. I would've guessed mobile at first, but maybe they'll just stick to PS4.

Could we get more stuff ? Persona 5 Crimson ? Persona 5 Arena ? Persona Karting ?

Ummm yes. If you count up the sales since Re 6 the Resident evil franchise hasn't been selling all that great beyond the ports. MH has been Capcom's breadwinner for a long time now. It's really not all that close.

From 2012

RE6 - 6.8 million
RE6 PC - 1.2 million
RE5 - iirc 600k
RER (3DS) - <1 million
RER - 1.7 million
RER2 - 2.2 million
RE: RC - 2.5 million
RE0 HD - 1.5 million
RE:R HD - 1.9 million
RE5(PS4/XB1) - 900k
RE4(PS4/XB1) - 900k
RE6(PS4/XB1) - 1.1 million
RE7 - 3.7 million

Total - 26 million

MHX - 4.2 million
MH4U - 4.1 million
MH4 - 4.1 million
MHXX - 1.7 million
MHS - < 1 million

Total - 15.1 million

Not even close. The best performing MH mainline titles get beaten by underperforming mainline RE titles. RE's legs carry it for years while MH pretty much stops within a year. RE spin offs and remasters are far more lucrative than MH will ever be.

MoonFrog

Yeah. The only way it makes sense to me is if they don't want to upset people that it is not coming to certain platforms until they absolutely have to or that they don't want to talk about the Switch version again at all until they have something they want to show of it to Japan.

It could also be both of these things.

Edit: Another idea that comes to mind is bleeding the "it's coming west" announcement dry, that is having it multiple times with new information to give out still.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
From 2012

RE6 - 6.8 million
RE5 - iirc 600k
RER (3DS) - <1 million
RER - 1.7 million
RER2 - 2.2 million
RE: RC - 2.5 million
RE0 HD - 1.5 million
RE:R HD - 1.9 million
RE5(PS4/XB1) - 900k
RE4(PS4/XB1) - 900k
RE6(PS4/XB1) - 1.1 million
RE7 - 3.7 million

Total - 22.4 million

MHX - 4.2 million
MH4U - 4.1 million
MH4 - 4.1 million
MHXX - 1.7 million
MHS - < 1 million

Total - 15.1 million

Not even close. The best performing MH mainline titles get beaten by underperforming mainline RE titles. RE's legs carry it for years while MH pretty much stops within a year. RE spin offs and remasters are far more lucrative than MH will ever be.

I said since RE 6 which makes it 15.8 (this isn't hard reading comprehension) and that 11 titles vs 5 which are comparable.Also doesn't include the spin offs like Frontier G (which has had 4.5 million registered players) and Poka Aru village

I said since RE 6 which makes it 15.8 (this isn't hard reading comprehension) and that 11 titles vs 5 which are comparable.Also doesn't include the spin offs like Frontier G (which has had 4.5 million registered players) and Poka Aru village

Made a calculation error:

Total - 26 million

Wrong. If you want to exclude RE6 in 2012 thats - 4.5 million.

So that places the total at 21.5 million. Still ain't close lol
Oh and thats the whole point: RE as a franchise is larger, due to legacy sales, remasters and successful spin offs.

Includes all notable spin offs. Was even generous with how much Stories has sold. Poku Aru village ain't making up that 6-10 million gap. Evidently RE has always been Capcoms 1 franchise.

Would you rather have a franchise that has worldwide appeal or one that relies entirely on a dying market?

Capcom trying to transition to the Western market with multiplatform Monster Hunter World on PC, PS4 and Xbox One is just one of their weird experiment to do the same. Whether they succeed or not, we will find out soon enough.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
MH4U and MHGen both managed to mark a million on overseas on the 3DS, a platform that viewed as ill suited for action games.

How's that unproven? This thing about MH not able to sell in the west is already a bad meme at this point.

Both were 3DS titles, which MHW is not. We don't know what the overlap between consumer bases are, hence its sales potential is unproven.

I'm sure MHW will do more than 1 million overseas. I'd expect 3 million for the game WW, but any nebulous "increase" in expectations from Capcom raises flags to me.

Capcom should do beta\demo for MHW in the west .
IMO it's one of the reason why Nioh and Nier sold so good .
A lot big games do them and it's not like it hurt there sales.

Mr Swine

Banned
Both were 3DS titles, which MHW is not. We don't know what the overlap between consumer bases are, hence its sales potential is unproven.

I'm sure MHW will do more than 1 million overseas. I'd expect 3 million for the game WW, but any nebulous "increase" in expectations from Capcom raises flags to me.

It should do as most as 5.5 million WW. 3 million on PS4, 1.5 million on Xbone and 1 million on PC when all is said and done. Maybe 4.5 million is more realistic

Would you rather have a franchise that has worldwide appeal or one that relies entirely on a dying market?

Capcom trying to transition to the Western market with multiplatform Monster Hunter World on PC, PS4 and Xbox One is just one of their weird experiment to do the same. Whether they succeed or not, we will find out soon enough.

If Capcom is gonna pour 4 years into a MH game that will top out at 1.5m in Japan then I doubt this is an experiment. It's going to be their strategy going forward so they better nail it.

Anyway. RE is still Capcom's biggest franchise but it certainly isn't because of new titles they launched. The health of that brand is questionable in terms of new releases. That said, Capcom also has to be careful with MH. They are playing with fire releasing this many titles year after year.

Capcom should do beta\demo for MHW in the west .
IMO it's one of the reason why Nioh and Nier sold so good .
A lot big games do them and it's not like it hurt there sales.
Considering they did a demo for RE7 and possibly looked at the feedback for it, I don't doubt they will do the same for MHW.

If Capcom is gonna pour 4 years into a MH game that will top out at 1.5m in Japan then I doubt this is an experiment. It's going to be their strategy going forward so they better nail it.

Anyway. RE is still Capcom's biggest franchise but it certainly isn't because of new titles they launched. The health of that brand is questionable in terms of new releases. That said, Capcom also has to be careful with MH. They are playing with fire releasing this many titles year after year.
The thing is, MHW is not a PS4 exclusive. It is coming to the Xbox One and PC as well. Both of these platforms have potential for the game. PS4 will of course carry the impact in Japan and should be the leading platform in the West as well but Xbox One and PC are the interesting pieces here. We don't really have any way to gouge the ceiling of a game like MHW on these platforms. On PC, we have Dragon's Dogma that has sold more than half million so at minimum, I expect MHW to atleast clear this number when all is said and done. It should also have good legs which is IMPORTANT here.

It should also have good legs which is IMPORTANT here.

Good legs? Thing will drop like a rock in its second NPD once early buyers see how dense and grinding the game can be. My guess is it'll rank #5-#7 on its first NPD before falling out of the top 10 altogether in the second month. Plenty of people in the West have tried to get into MH, and a lot of them end up quitting.

Good legs? Thing will drop like a rock in its second NPD once early buyers see how dense and grinding the game can be. My guess is it'll rank #5-#7 on its first NPD before falling out of the top 10 altogether in the second month.
Only if the game doesn't end up with a good critical reception. If it is another Nier Automata, NioH or Persona 5, then you can bet it is going to keep selling really well. NPD only counts retail so using that as a metric is useless. RE 6 never registered on NPD but the port sold 1.1 million. Similarly Nier Automata achieved success despite just one month on NPD. MHW can do the same as well but only if the WOM and critical reception is good.

Vena

Only if the game doesn't end up with a good critical reception. If it is another Nier Automata, NioH or Persona 5, then you can bet it is going to keep selling really well. NPD only counts retail so using that as a metric is useless. RE 6 never registered on NPD but the port sold 1.1 million. Similarly Nier Automata achieved success despite just one month on NPD. MHW can do the same as well but only if the WOM and critical reception is good.

RE6 is a straight up adrenaline action game, MH is a grinder with a generally high barrier of entry on investment.

I have a very hard time believing that MHW will become the best selling entry in the series with the huge hit it's going to take domestically.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Nope, it has been tracking digital sales for games from several publishers on several consoles (Nintendo still doesn't give access to eShop sales) for a while.

The thing is, MHW is not a PS4 exclusive. It is coming to the Xbox One and PC as well. Both of these platforms have potential for the game. PS4 will of course carry the impact in Japan and should be the leading platform in the West as well but Xbox One and PC are the interesting pieces here. We don't really have any way to gouge the ceiling of a game like MHW on these platforms. On PC, we have Dragon's Dogma that has sold more than half million so at minimum, I expect MHW to atleast clear this number when all is said and done. It should also have good legs which is IMPORTANT here.

I never said the game was going to do poorly. I said if they can only sell 1.5m units domestically and they are willing to spend 4 years on making the game then they aren't doing a weird test. It's going to be the norm going forward.

The game will do pretty good especially with the DLC model (if it isnt outrageous) but unless the fanbase for MH about triples worldwide it's going to have a tough time doing much more than MH4, MH4U or MHX.

Vena

Presented without comment.

capcomlolololc7s2q.png

We've been commenting on it for a while actually. &#129303;

Aters

I don't understand. We have three big console MH games in the past: MH, MH2 and MH3. They were released on widely successful consoles like PS2 and Wii. Shouldn't we be able to tell how MHW will perform by looking at those games?

sphinx

the piano man
I don't understand. We have three big console MH games in the past: MH, MH2 and MH3. They were released on widely successful consoles like PS2 and Wii. Shouldn't we be able to tell how MHW will perform by looking at those games?

sshhhh, we don't need any common sense or historical data here.

what matters is that MH is finally free from that shitty, dated hardware, that it has gone AAA and that everyone is going to stop playing their Souls, CoDs, GTAs, etc to play Monster Hunter. Capcom will no doubt realize how wrong they were by secluding the series to handhelds.

:p

Alrus

&#332;kami;244783275 said:
Performance of PS2 or Wii software matters not to the performance of PS4 software.

That's kinda dumb? Performance of previous installments in a franchise matter when talking about a new entry. Or am I misunderstanding your point?

Ōkami

That's kinda dumb? Performance of previous installments in a franchise matter when talking about a new entry. Or am I misunderstanding your point?
Performance of previous titles is indeed important, but when those installments came out 7 to 17 years ago on vastly different consoles on vastly different markets is the wrong way to look at it.

To say the because Monster Hunter 1-3 sold like 2m combined and thus World will sell as much if not worse just because those are the console games is misguided.

test_account

XP-39C²
I agree that looking at PS2 isnt that relevant. Monster Hunter wasnt as popular back then. MH3 is more relevant at least, but even that was nearly 9 years ago. Or would people argue that if Monster Hunter World sells like the PS2 games, that it does good/great?

I'm also sceptical for Monster Hunter Worlds' sales potential, but the game looks great, so i hope it does really well to prove all the naysayers wrong, including me.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think MH World can do better than expected in Japan. Like 1m+. Not convinced it is likely to catch on in the West.

I think Monster Hunter World will do 2m in Japan. Not as great as previous Monster Hunter games, but still very well. From the small bit I've seen, it seems like the reaction on Monster Hunter World from Japan was generally positive. I think it won't flop as much in Japan as many people here think. The west is a different case tho.

Do we have data from other similar games like God Eater and Toukiden? I don't think those games did too well tbh. Although Monster Hunter World has the shared marketing effort of Capcom and Sony behind it, I don't see it doing much better tbh. 1m tops, but probably not even close to that.

Alrus

&#332;kami;244784082 said:
Performance of previous titles is indeed important, but when those installments came out 7 to 17 years ago on vastly different consoles on vastly different markets is the wrong way to look at it.

To say the because Monster Hunter 1-3 sold like 2m combined and thus World will sell as much if not worse just because those are the console games is misguided.

By the time Tri came out, the franchise already had explosive popularity on the PSP though. I think the comparison to that game is valid.

Well MHW getting made also for the west if they can do co -op good they can sell some copies .

Huh? MH is a co-op game in its core.

Ōkami

By the time Tri came out, the franchise already had explosive popularity on the PSP though. I think the comparison to that game is valid.
This goes to market conditions and systems.

More "core" oriented software on Wii for the most part did not sell well, with MH3 being the big outlier, the game was one of the too little too late group of core games that started to show up on the system 2 years too late when the audience for that type of games had moved over to the PS3, not to mention that the series hit its peak one year after 3.

It will be the closest comparison sure, but if Worlds and 3 sell similar numbers it will be for very different circumstances.

Even more so, when looking at the PS4 people shouldn't just be looking how much hardware and software is selling, but what software is selling and how much as that gives you an idea of what the userbase is and its sizes.

Its also worth considering in what position the PS4 will be at the time the game releases, we're still at least 6 months away.

Top Bottom