• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is it worth getting a Switch Pro Controller?

Dremorak

Banned
ITs a great controller, but tbh I've used split joycon about 10X as much. I think I ended up using the pro once or twice. Split joycon is the best way to play splatoon2, and even zelda IMO

It’s worth it. I say this as a guy who didn’t really believe in it.

You can easily function without it IMO. But it is a damn fine controller.

100% worth it for me.

Hate the joycons no matter if they are connected to the Switch or not.

I also use the pro controller when I don't have the Switch connected to a tv.

Nerrel

It's simultaneously my favorite controller and a real piece of shit. The feel is amazing and it's got great features like haptic rumble and gyro control, but... the quality control ruins it. The D-pad is almost guaranteed to be unacceptably bad, the analogs are known for having issues (my first sticks went to %115 at full tilt, my replacement from Nintendo goes to 89% at full tilt), and I just had to send mine in for repairs a second time due to it regularly freaking out and failing to register button presses during Splatoon 2.

On paper, it's the best controller I've ever used and it's far better than the joycons. Don't let anyone tell you that the joycons are just as good- the analog stick range is pathetic in comparison and the tiny, cramped buttons aren't anywhere near as satisfying to use as the Pro buttons. The general ergonomics are also way, way better. If Nintendo could actually manufacture one that worked correctly, it would be an amazing controller that would totally be worth $70. As it is, I can't recommend buying it unless you're willing to send for repairs in the likely event that something is wrong with it.

I mean, ergonomically, it's no Wii U Pro Controller.

But it does have gyro.

So it's close enough.

I find it a lot more comfortable than the Wii U Pro. I loved that controller, but I always felt like the grips were a little too thin around the index/middle finger part of the grip. The Switch pro has just a little more fullness in the grip there, and it feels perfect to me. The Y and B buttons on the Wii U pro were also uncomfortable to reach; I like the analog on top layout a lot, but it just didn't work when it came to the diamond buttons. On the Switch pro, all the buttons and analogs are comfortable. If I go back to the Wii U pro now I actually feel like my fingers are cramped and tiring out, the Switch is that much more ergonomic to use.

Majora

I hate playing with the joycons to be honest. The tiny, loose sticks, the small clicky buttons that all feel too close together. The non D-Pad. The placement of the right analogue stick directly below the face buttons feels uncomfortable. The plasticky feel of the things.

The Pro Controller is a damn fine controller in its own right, not just in comparison to the joycons, but yeah. Was pretty much a necessity for me.

I'm loving my Splatoon 2 Pro controller, I actually took it last night to play in a Mario Kart tournament at a local pub. Sadly when I got there, they were doing Battle Mode on the Switch and Racing on the Wii U.

Tom Nook

I really want the pro controller but $70...... I'll wait for a sale.

I'm doing okay with the joy con + grip handle.

Haunted

I don't think so.

It's not a bad controller per se but I never felt that it was necessary or worth it since you already get a full traditional controller with the joy-cons + grips.

I gave mine away to a friend after using it for ~a week and not feeling it. Save your money and buy 2-3 games instead, imo.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I had no intenion of getting one, as I use it mostly as a portable and when I do use it on the TV I can live with the grip.

Metroid changed everything though.

I'm buying one next week, but it'll be pure black as I don't like the Splatoon version. My favourite controller right now is the DS4 so I'm curious to see how this compares.

I got mine from Japan about $10 less then what it retails for in the USA. I have found that I generally prefer split joy-cons for when I'm playing on the TV, but it does make for a nice alternative for when they have to charge or I don't feel like getting up to remove them from the docked Switch.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Got it since launch and barely used it.

It all changed with Splatoon 2. Playing with the Pro and motion on is magnificent in this game.

kaioshade

I have two of the pro controllers. Both of them lag like crazy, even when close to the switch, register incorrect inputs and the dpads on them are not as tight and accurate as i would like. I need to ship them both back to Nintendo, but knowing they might not be fixed, i just put them to the side snd use the joycons for now.

Maybe another batch will be better.

Iced

Bought one and returned it. D-pad caused me to perform horribly in Puyo Puyo Tetris. I do just fine in that game with split joy-cons, but I was curious about the pro controller so I gave it a try.

Joy-cons admittedly take some getting used to and are obviously inferior in several areas compared to traditional controllers, but I greatly prefer them to any other controller I have because of the freedom they afford me while lounging on the couch. What I was finding when I owned the pro controller is that I didn't want to use it.

One thing I'll note is that while everyone commends the battery life on the pro controller - and rightfully so - it's still something you're going to have to be more mindful of, because you're eventually gonna have to plug it into something to charge it. The joy-cons slide effortlessly into the console itself to charge (or in my case, a charging dock since I have more than one pair of joy-cons) and seem far more convenient to me in that sense. Further to that, if you own 2 pairs of joy-cons, you can have 1 pair always connected to the Switch so that if batteries run out, it's as simple as getting up and swapping them out. You're back up and running in seconds, and you never have to put any thought into charging outside of that.

Opinions will vary greatly on this subject and you're never going to get a definitive answer. I think you need to just try it out and see if it fits into your playstyle/lifestyle. For me, it didn't, but I can certainly see how it would for others.

Zutrax

Absolutely, I basically consider it the definitive controller for the Switch. I love the console but I really can't stand the way the Joycons button layouts and controls feel. I could have big hands or something but when using the four buttons on the right Joycon I seem to constantly be bumping up against the right analog stick which is really frustrating, also it feels like the analog sticks are "stiffer" than they need to be making for less precise control.

The Joycons are fine for what they are, but they are not at all my go-to way to play Switch games, if I need to use them in handheld mode I can get by, but if I have my Pro Controller with me I will only use that and nothing else.

sugarless

I never use the Joy-Cons separately unless a game demands it like Snipperclips. Pro Controller all the way, Joy-Cons are for when I take it on a trip. The motion control is perfect for Splatoon 2, and the battery life is amazing too, it's a shock to ever have to charge it.

Nerrel

One thing I'll note is that while everyone commends the battery life on the pro controller - and rightfully so - it's still something you're going to have to be more mindful of, because you're eventually gonna have to plug it into something to charge it. The joy-cons slide effortlessly into the console itself to charge (or in my case, a charging dock since I have more than one pair of joy-cons) and seem far more convenient to me in that sense. Further to that, if you own 2 pairs of joy-cons, you can have 1 pair always connected to the Switch so that if batteries run out, it's as simple as getting up and swapping them out. You're back up and running in seconds, and you never have to put any thought into charging outside of that.

Not really sure what you're trying to say here... the joycons have to be slid into the system to charge and cannot be used for hours. The Pro controller just has to have a USB plugged in and then it not only charges but gives a wired mode with less latency and no battery loss at all... how is plugging a USB cable in a bigger hassle than sliding the joycons in and out of the system, or juggling two sets of joycons? If you keep the cable plugged into the dock, all you have to do is just put the other end in the controller once every 40 hours. Charging the joycons is way less convenient than that.

Iced

Not really sure what you're trying to say here... the joycons have to be slid into the system to charge and cannot be used for hours. The Pro controller just has to have a USB plugged in and then it not only charges but gives a wired mode with less latency and no battery loss at all... how is plugging a USB cable in a bigger hassle than sliding the joycons in and out of the system, or juggling two sets of joycons? If you keep the cable plugged into the dock, all you have to do is just put the other end in the controller once every 40 hours. Charging the joycons is way less convenient than that.

Bolded the important part. I never keep cables attached to systems or my PC because I just find it messy/unsightly. I guess I should have specified that, but I didn't think about it because I never do it. So for me, traditionally I've always had to remind myself to plug in controllers every now and again or keep an eye on the charge level so that I'm not caught playing with a dead controller. With the Switch, I have 4 joy-cons and I know that 2 of them will always be fully charged since there will always be 2 attached to the Switch in the dock. Never even enters my mind.

Although I have a charging dock now so it's even more convenient.

Griss

I was really surprised how bad the joycons in the grip felt, considering Nintendo's excellent history with input devices. However split joycons is pretty decent, but you don't get a d-pad.

So while I never saw a need for the Wii U pro controller because the gamepad was awesome, I'd border on saying the pro controller is necessary for the Switch.

It just pisses me off that it's missing features like analogue triggers and a headphone jack. The lack of a headphone jack really kills me, and analogue triggers would make it great on PC even if the Switch can't use them. It's damn expensive too. Add on the d-pad issue and the ugly front panel design and it's not ideal. It feels great in the palm, though.

molnizzle

Pro controller should be bundled, honestly. Switch wouldn't be useable to me without it.

Joycon grip works in a pinch when pro controller needs to charge, but that's the only time. It's only passable because it's a temporary annoyance.

Persona7

Banned
seems like a ymmv thing judging from this thread. some have bad dpads some don't. mine's fine and I've done the test in the settings menu.

I have tested 12 controllers including two of the newer splatoon ones. Nintendo sent me six replacements and I also replaced numerous controllers in store. I highly doubt anyone has a controller that doesn't have the d-pad issue. It's a design flaw.

It is extremely apparent when playing tetris. I didn't get a wide range of splatoon controllers so I can't say for sure but the two I bought and returned exhibited the same issue.

Iced

I have tested 12 controllers including two of the newer splatoon ones. I highly doubt anyone has a controller that doesn't have the d-pad issue. It's a design flaw.

It is extremely apparent when playing tetris.

Yep. I suspect a lot of people using the dpad are playing games where an incorrect input wouldn't be of any major significance. Pressing up accidentally in Tetris can really fuck up your game. I personally tested two controllers before giving up on the Pro, but both exhibited the same behaviour.

Donuts

ITs a great controller, but tbh I've used split joycon about 10X as much. I think I ended up using the pro once or twice. Split joycon is the best way to play splatoon2, and even zelda IMO

I haven't used the pro controller, but this is how I feel about the joycons. I haven't even considered the pro controller because of how comfortable (although tiny) the separate joycons are.

Hugstable

Banned
I have tested 12 controllers including two of the newer splatoon ones. Nintendo sent me six replacements and I also replaced numerous controllers in store. I highly doubt anyone has a controller that doesn't have the d-pad issue. It's a design flaw.

It is extremely apparent when playing tetris. I didn't get a wide range of splatoon controllers so I can't say for sure but the two I bought and returned exhibited the same issue.

Had 2 bad and have a good one now, they definitely aren't all bad

PetrCobra

I have tested my Pro controller that I've bought with the Switch in the settings input test and had no issues, did now the same with my new Splatoon edition and no issues either.

Tetris I only played the demo but I had no issues either (can't remember if I've ever used Pro in that game though).

So what are you saying here? That the input test is lying? That Tetris somehow is more dependent on the quality of the d-pad than the input test? Because to me it seems pretty clear that some Pro controllers (the two that I own at least) don't have defective d-pad at all.

Persona7

Banned
I have tested my Pro controller that I've bought with the Switch in the settings input test and had no issues, did now the same with my new Splatoon edition and no issues either.

Tetris I only played the demo but I had no issues either (can't remember if I've ever used Pro in that game though).

So what are you saying here? That the input test is lying? That Tetris somehow is more dependent on the quality of the d-pad than the input test? Because to me it seems pretty clear that some Pro controllers (the two that I own at least) don't have defective d-pad at all.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1354990

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/search?q=d-pad+pro&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all

Top Bottom