• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA disabling purchased copies of Rock Band iOS? [Yes / No / Maybe / Bear's Driving!]

Their FAQ on the support site has been updated. Pretty confirmed:

https://help.ea.com/article/will-rock-band-no-longer-be-available-on-mobile-devices

EA said:
I've heard ROCK BAND will not be available after May 31. Is this true?
Yes, we will be suspending support of ROCK BAND after May 31 and focusing resources on other EA titles. We thank everyone for playing ROCK BAND, and we encourage you to explore some of the other exciting titles in our mobile line-up.

Can I still play ROCK BAND if I've already downloaded it?
The ROCK BAND servers will be live through May 31, 2012. If you have already downloaded the game, you can continue to play until then.

Property can't be allowed to transform into services without serious service regulation. Taking the Wild West approach was OK while most people dealt in tangible goods, but its a new world now, and a great deal of our media consumption is through digital products.

We *need* a digital property Bill of Rights and we need one now.

Edit: I know I'm repeating myself, but honestly this has to happen.

Nevasleep

Well I just bought it as I want to see what happens (and I do like the original ios game).
I'll be emailing Apple straight away if I get the message.

Would be nice if more people just bought the game, then immediately asked Apple for a refund. A cheap protest :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Property can't be allowed to transform into services without serious service regulation. Taking the Wild West approach was OK while most people dealt in tangible goods, but its a new world now, and a great deal of our media consumption is through digital products.

We *need* a digital property Bill of Rights and we need one now.

Edit: I know I'm repeating myself, but honestly this has to happen.

Lobbies will make sure the exact opposite happens.

BiggNife

I'm kind of tired of people using stories like this as proof that digital distribution as a whole is doomed forever

If Valve/Steam pulled something like this (which I can guarantee won't ever happen, although some people with tinfoil hats will certainly claim otherwise), then there's cause for alarm

EA is proving time and time again that they can't be trusted with DD

Enco

I'm kind of tired of people using stories like this as proof that digital distribution as a whole is doomed forever

If Valve/Steam pulled something like this (which I can guarantee won't ever happen, although some people with tinfoil hats will certainly claim otherwise), then there's cause for alarm

EA is proving time and time again that they can't be trusted with DD
Agreed.

Cloud is the future. Pretty much everything is on 'the cloud'. People seem to miss that all their account details for all their sites are online. Not having to lug around huge game discs and cases is brilliant.

Just have to make sure you use someone reputable like Valve.

Great so buy some ea mobile games and get your money stolen.
Yea no more EA shit for me.

mt1200

Isn't that similar to xbla games?, what if your xbox breaks just when microsoft shuts down XBLA servers and you decide to get another one?.

Lobbies will make sure the exact opposite happens.
Then we lobby for ourselves. There will be a tipping point, and its fast approaching.

We have next to ZERO consumer rights when it comes to services these days. We could buy into one only to have it shut down the next day according to those bullshit EULAs. The entire product we bought could also change radically after purchase (ex: dropping linux support and other features. Injecting intrusive advertisements. etc.) and we would have no recourse. Its nothing short of a scam.

Sh1ner

Need a GAF EA log which has a Vader helmet around the letters, a Hitler mustache and all sorts of other evil symbols/concepts mixed into it so we can use it for every OP that is about EA is shit thread.

saunderez

Isn't that similar to xbla games?, what if your xbox breaks just when microsoft shuts down XBLA servers and you decide to get another one?.
No its nothing like XBLA. Microsoft doesn't shut down "XBLA Servers" and if they remove a game from the store its still available.through purchasers Download History.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Guys just think, when we are in the glorious digital distro future, what better way to sell more games to people than to make sure nobody has any they can play! Its genius!

Something at EA needs to change. They really can't keep doing these things and then watch their stock prices plummet, but then continue to keep doing it.

Eventually, someone is going to start asking questions and realize maybe this attitude is the wrong approach.

So basically you can still play the game if you downloaded it but lose access to the online content and can't redownload it again if you delete it?

It's still awful but at least you can still play the game.

The ROCK BAND servers will be live through May 31, 2012. If you have already downloaded the game, you can continue to play until then.
From the FAQ. You will not be able to play the game at all.

This is vile, even for EA.

...I hate how often I have the chance to type that exact phrase.

Yeah, I'll just sign my ass up for Origin, EA. You've convinced me.

Their FAQ on the support site has been updated. Pretty confirmed:

https://help.ea.com/article/will-rock-band-no-longer-be-available-on-mobile-devices

I don't have the game so I'm not sure if it has a single player mode (but can't think why it wouldn't). The announcement sounds like they're shutting down the servers and thus online play, but surely the single player game wouldn't be affected.

Suspending support for a game is wildly different than actively going out of your way to stop people from playing said product even offline. That's just insane. Has it ever even happened before?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Is this completely unprecedented? The only thing I can think of that is even close to this is EA banning you from planning games you bought.

Nevasleep

I don't have the game so I'm not sure if it has a single player mode (but can't think why it wouldn't). The announcement sounds like they're shutting down the servers and thus online play, but surely the single player game wouldn't be affected.
I don't think the game even has online multiplayer. Only single player and local multiplayer.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Suspending support for a game is wildly different than actively going out of your way to stop people from playing said product even offline. That's just insane. Has it ever even happened before?

I don't see how you can read that and come away with anything other than the title will no longer be playable. They even tell consumers to buy other apps because this one won't work.

I don't see how you can read that and come away with anything other than the title will no longer be playable. They even tell consumers to buy other apps because this one won't work.

I understand. What I'm saying is that their excuse makes no sense. What the hell do their servers and support have to do with people's ability to play the offline game they already bought?

My understanding is that there's a part of the code that confirms connection to EA's servers before it will allow the game to be played. Even if you were to pirate it and install it on a jailbroken device you still wouldn't be able to play it.

scitek

My understanding is that there's a part of the code that confirms connection to EA's servers before it will allow the game to be played. Even if you were to pirate it and install it on a jailbroken device you still wouldn't be able to play it.

So it comes down to DRM.

Nevasleep

I'd like to see Apple's response to this.
They must know its happening now, even if EA havnt informed them before hand.
Are they just going to handle it quietly, just giving refunds to anybody who bothers to ask? Or will there be something stronger by Apple.

And that`s what you will get if you support a future always online console. You pay all that money for your games and stuff and someday you won`t be able to play your games because the certification servers will be shut down.

An always online console is a leasing machine for games with an expiration date.

Are they just going to handle it quietly, just giving refunds to anybody who bothers to ask? Or will there be something stronger by Apple.

At the very least I would like to see the app pulled from the store today. If they don't do that I'll be pretty disappointed in them.

Currently if you request a refund you get told to make the request from EA Mobile.

Ha!

I'm not surprised EA was voted worst company in America. Time to see if they have another big story this week about them standing up for gay rights.

Boss Man

Wow.

I've been upset with companies and threatened to stop buying their products...but, sincerely:

I will not be buying anything with EA's name on it anymore. At least not if it has any way of putting money into their pockets.

Top Bottom