• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS data-mined: 20 fighter codenames found! Also, Nintendo says an update is soon.

The only character worthy of being a surprise guest is the OG long arms, Mr TIckle

Mr._Tickle.jpg

Yes, I do realise the chances of a beloved children's classic appearing in a fighting game are pretty much null.
Hahaha I just imagined the reaction of they announced him.

mclem

Wait, so Twintelle is "Hair" but we have one flat-out called Twintale? I guess we're getting a clone? Maybe Twintelle's stunt double?

It crosses my mind that one might have been a WIP ID that was never removed. Is that a viable possibility?

But Gaf said ARMS is a failed IP and Nintendo won't support it well enough?

HOW CAN THIS BE UNTRUE!!

Seriously though can't wait for more fighters and stages and tweaks. Good on Nintendo.

tsundoku

It crosses my mind that one might have been a WIP ID that was never removed. Is that a viable possibility?
There is also a character with chains for arms and a Mummy who could have just as easily been a sumo. And three (pseudo) robots.

I strongly suspect alternate costumes / power up trade off forms or just old defunct ids

Berordn

There is also a character with chains for arms and a Mummy who could have just as easily been a sumo. And three (pseudo) robots.

I strongly suspect alternate costumes / power up trade off forms or just old defunct ids

Considering they also list the RNA and Hedlok in there, the remaining ones may not all be intended as playable characters either.

Reading further in that Reddit thread, only Sweet really shows any progress toward being a playable character soon, and only a couple more of those IDs have been touched since the intial patches (Coil, Shaman, Tarzan and Lady).

Regiruler

I actually think Surprise may just be a jack in the box, not a guest character.
Wait, aren't those ghosts? Why are they breaking the... unless it's an ability that let's you... wait, nvm, I don't want to know.

It's not actually from the game, it's from an animated short.

I'm excited to see how Nintendo continues to support this game. It's got issues, but overall it's fun and original enough that I know I'll be playing for a while.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Tiwntale...

hmm, there is that lore where apparently Twintelle doesn't want people to get a sample of her hair, and that those that tried to pick up fallen hair from matches ended up "vanishing".

It's interesting to note that, among all these supposed fighters, only Sumo, Sweet, and Surprise lack any precedent or importance in the lore thus far. At least, if my theories are correct, of course.

Plant: A report from ARMS Labs explicitly references that plants can have the ARMS Gene. Interestingly, the same report claims that nonhuman animals can as well. This leads some credence to the "TwinTAIL" theory.

Coil: Assuming that Doctor C is indeed Doctor "Coil", he/she has been the main focal point of the Twitter storyline thus far.

Chain: Biff has called attention to the Ninja College's Frog logo in a recent post and speculates that said Frog was Ninjara's Sensei.

Robo: Likely an invention of ARMS Labs or possibly Mechanica's father. Biff called attention to him in a post earlier, and we know that the Labs have dabbled in robotics (Hedlok).

Scroll: DNA Lab is littered with research papers showing what appear to be medieval ARMS Fighters. Perhaps Scroll has some relation to these?

Twintale: The most mysterious of the codenames, other than Surprise. My personal theory is that it has something to do with Doctor C's quest for Twintelle's hair. Others have theorized that it is an animal with "Twintails". Both are credible given the lore.
Good points, I think you are correct. I suspect Sweet will be another waifu. Also I think that Robo will in some way be related to Mechanica. When I read Surprise, I think wildcard. It could be a Jack in the Box style fighter. The only guest character I'd like to see is Little Mac.

I never paid attention to the story stuff but the premise is interesting. The setting and story bits revealed so far is a lot different than Nintendo's other ips.
New fighters are great but the game needs more modes plus include all the story/lore related stuff in-game
I think Arms would work well with an episodic story DLC release. Have it split over 6 parts. Spread the release over 6 months. You could use comic book style story panels with Biff narrating to explain setting and story. Each part has a 45 minute Single Player campaign that continues the story.

Considering they also list the RNA and Hedlok in there, the remaining ones may not all be intended as playable characters either.

Reading further in that Reddit thread, only Sweet really shows any progress toward being a playable character soon, and only a couple more of those IDs have been touched since the intial patches (Coil, Shaman, Tarzan and Lady).

This could be the case, but we'll have to wait and see.

Regarding the "recently used" IDs:

I stand by my Doctor Coil theory.

Shaman could be Scroll, and Tarzan could be Plant.

Lady could be Twintale or Surprise?

mas8705

Oh great... Now I'm going to be watching each update and will be thinking of this now:
c344437514c773c4d4ecde726a2eb8630ebcf17a299122d8b602c0e02dff4680.jpg

So anywho, let's take some more wild guesses.

Chain- A bit weird to see a chain user if Ninjara already had that covered, but I suppose that people could have the same type of arms perhaps. This could be either like a warden, a prisoner, or a bike gang member.
Coil- Byte and Bark come to mind here, but I suppose we could have a character similar to Byte but from a different perspective of a "clockwork" character
Plant- From the people who brought you Helix probably will be same who could have made this monstrosity come to life. Would be neat to see an actual fighting plant with Vine ARMS.
Robo- Don't know if this overlaps with Byte and Bark again, but perhaps this could be less clockwork and more "Robo" so to speak. Still, it would be interesting if we had something similar to Max Brass where he is almost like a "Spring Man 2.0" to where it is like Byte and Bark, but with its own sets of pros and cons. We'll have to wait and see.
Scroll- Don't want to say Ninjara again, but perhaps it could be someone who is the "Wise Old Man." Hell, that could be something close to Minmin perhaps in terms of fighting styles.
Sumo- Definitely an interesting one to consider and pretty straight forward with how this character would be. Perhaps he could have sometime that could be like either having a close ranged special attack unique to him, or something that makes him harder to knock down.
Surprise- Best I can think of is a guest cameo (which there has been alot already mentioned so I won't try and guess since they are all great answers).
Sweet- below.
Twintale- I feel as though mentioning Twintelle would be redundant here... Still, as I said many times before, wouldn't be shocked if there are people who have the same kind of ARMS in the world of ARMS. Doubt it would be another movie star though.

Alot of fun ideas all around for possible characters. It just makes me wonder though how they will be in terms of play style since for some reason, I was doing alot of comparisons to existing fighters (and I don't want to think that we might have cases where they will be a mix of existing fighters as if to give them a slightly higher edge. Then again, I don't really know how Max Brass has ranked in the tier list lately, so who do I know?)

Edit: I forgot about Sweet! You guys know what this means?!

TAFFY IS COMING TO ARMS!
latest

Or if I had to guess, the fighter who is "Sweet" probably will have Taffy ARMS

Neiteio

Twintale...

hmm, there is that lore where apparently Twintelle doesn't want people to get a sample of her hair, and that those that tried to pick up fallen hair from matches ended up "vanishing".
Yeah, if Twintale is a separate character from Twintelle, it's likely based on the ARMS journal lore of people collecting her hair samples mysteriously disappearing. Maybe they turn into this "Twintale," or maybe the ARMS Lab used the hair sample they stole to create a new fighter. Like some have speculated, maybe a quadruped based on a kitsune or other multi-tailed creature.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
That's so many more free ones than SFV gave us! And that's with an installed base of 126 million!

Let's get some new modes in there.

Neiteio

Wow 20 characters in ARMS is crazy! And all FREE? omg
20 characters total. So 10 would be added free (one of which has already been added: Max Brass).

There are arguments for and against several of these codenames being unique characters vs. duplicate strings. But it seems like at a minimum, there are five more characters yet to be added for at least 16 total.

Neoxon

That's so many more free ones than SFV gave us! And that's with an installed base of 126 million!

Let's get some new modes in there.
That depends on what you mean by free. If you count Fight Money as "free", SFV is supposed to have support until 2020, so we'd have at least 30 DLC characters by then. ARMS is supposed to have 10 DLC characters (one already released, Max Brass), but they're just given away without requiring you to earn them.

HardRojo

HOW CAN THIS BE UNTRUE!!

Seriously though can't wait for more fighters and stages and tweaks. Good on Nintendo.
I hardly recall people saying exactly that. People were criticizing other aspects.

Rafavert

I don't get it. No one has suggested the most fitting guest character:

300px-RaymanArtworkRender.png

You don't even need to change his design! Just swap the hands (though his proportions would likely feel out of place).

Also, I didn't know of all this tweet lore... is it exclusive to the jap twitter?

mas8705

HOW CAN THIS BE UNTRUE!!

The closest I've seen to that quote is how Splatoon 2 took ARMS around the corner and stole its thunder when it came out. I don't want to think that ARMS has been completely abandoned (especially considering the support it is about to get for both DLC and tournament play).

You don't even need to change his design! Just swap the hands (though his proportions would likely feel out of place).

Also, I didn't know of all this tweet lore... is it exclusive to the jap twitter?

True, ol Ray would fit in quite nicely. And yes, this lore is exclusive to the Twitter. Though, an English translation is floating somewhere in this thread...

Surprise will be a Jack-in-the-box clown with stretching box gloves as weapons.

This is the theory I have as well. Clown makes too much sense.

This would be incredible.

Zubz

Banned
Edit: I forgot about Sweet! You guys know what this means?!

TAFFY IS COMING TO ARMS!
latest

Or if I had to guess, the fighter who is "Sweet" probably will have Taffy ARMS

Oh man, all these guest characters & none of us went for the most likely option.

KingBroly

Banned
The timing feels right for an ARMS content update announcement. The game's been kinda dead since Splatoon 2 came out, but they just had a Splatfest, so it'd be nice to have a back-and-forth there

Regiruler

The Twitter posted something regarding the update, particularly that it focuses on buffing underused weapons. Seems to be out tomorrow?

LotusHD

Banned
The Twitter posted something regarding the update, particularly that it focuses on buffing underused weapons. Seems to be out tomorrow?

The current so called “Lifeless ARM” is in need of a major tune-up.
Particularly the Boomerang and…the guy that continuously throws out balls? I’ve just forgotten their name…
Eh, when’s it due to arrive? Uh, actually….it’s tomorrow…wha!? Hey, please pick up the pace!!
The balance change update will be distributed tomorrow!
Hurry, Mechanica!

http://www.jtyaku.net/august-arms-update-releases-tomorrow-new-mechanica-artwork/

Zubz

Banned
Hm. Possibly just a balance change tomorrow then...?

Though, the writer at Jtyaku seems to think the name Biff has forgotten may be that of a new fighter....

Guess we'll see tomorrow then.

I love teases like this.

The part about balls makes me think this is a clown, so I'm beginning to think this is "Surprise" & the guest character hype was for nothing.

I love teases like this.

The part about balls makes me think this is a clown, so I'm beginning to think this is "Surprise" & the guest character hype was for nothing.

This is my line of thinking as well. Perhaps Surprise refers to the character being released with no buildup? This is, of course, assuming that there is indeed a character coming tomorrow.

Top Bottom