• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The world's most powerful console"

b0cd_1.JPG

All the marketing around the Xbox One X. Along with constantly saying "The worlds most powerful console", here are a few others that I'm sick of hearing.

- True 4K
- 4K Feel True Power

At this point I think Microsoft should've called the console Xbox 4k

eso76

Dumb because basically any new console is the world's most powerful on release, but Microsoft feels they have been losing sales on DF comparisons and 900p Vs 1080p, so..

It's kind of like developers hyping the latest sequel with claims like "this is our biggest/best X yet". You don't say, and here I thought you'd be going backwards.

Hawk269

Sega does what Nintendont.

Or whatever. Worked for me!

First thing I thought of when I read the OP post. That not only was popular, but did considerable damage to Nintendo and elevated the Genesis big time. I worked retail back then at a corporate level and the number of emails I would get from Store Mangers begging for more Genesis stock was unreal. I remember one Holiday that Sega actually ran radio commercials letting people know they are flying in shipments and to keep checking retailers for fresh stock. Was crazy and the Nintendon't slogan was amazing at the time along with "Welcome to the Next Level".

nickerous

Wasnt a slogan, but the free issue of nintendo power got me to subscribe in 1988. I would say, "Now you're playing with power...Super Power!" is what I remember most...but Nintendo Power sold me on a SNES.

Roshin

What was the one about the pixels? The best pixels? Our pixels are better than your peasant pixels? I can't remember quite how they phrased it. :)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
First thing I thought of when I read the OP post. That not only was popular, but did considerable damage to Nintendo and elevated the Genesis big time. I worked retail back then at a corporate level and the number of emails I would get from Store Mangers begging for more Genesis stock was unreal. I remember one Holiday that Sega actually ran radio commercials letting people know they are flying in shipments and to keep checking retailers for fresh stock. Was crazy and the Nintendon't slogan was amazing at the time along with "Welcome to the Next Level".

Yep, I think some people forget or don't realize that there was a time when Sega was eating Ninetndo's lunch, and was the premiere player in the space. It's even more amazing, though, how quickly that went away. Sega completely screwed the pooch with the Saturn, unfortunately.

This is the worst one ever:

original.jpg

Like what the fuck is that? Are you advertising an actual play with a set and stage and actors and such?

The best one ever:

Nintendo-slogan-1024x640.jpg

I hate the N64. Hate how blurry everything looked. There were just a handful of games I found playable at the time.

Edit: that line sounds ok tho

flkraven

I mean, I know The world's most powerful console thing is only true temporarily and in a vacuum, but slogans aren't really meant to be analyzed and taken literally. It just sort of provides a guideline of what this system is focusing on.

Sony wasn't literally '4 the players'. It's not like they were giving out free systems and offering online without having to pay. The were just pushing the narrative that they were more focused on 'gamers' at a time when Microsoft was peddling TV and trying to put DRM on their games.

With this latest Xbox, they are clearly focusing on getting as much power out as they can for the $500 price point. IMO this is the first time since the 360 that I feel like the console horsepower is tough to match with a similarly priced PC, especially with the few DF breakdowns that have come out.

flkraven

Nintendo should have went with "wii would like to play with u" for the wii u

Their real one was like way worse than that. It was something along the lines of 'Would U like to play?' The Wii era was garbage imo in terms of marketing, but the OG Wii sold tons so I guess I don't know what Im talking about.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't think a slogan "worked" on me, but I think "Touching is good" is a good one, because it's actually making a specific pitch for a specific aspect of the console. .

It's like a nut you can play outside.

/s No, actually it's probably Nintendo's current one "There's no play like it". "Play it loud!", and "Super Nintendo is what Genesisn't" are good ones too. I like when Nintendo uses "play" as a pun I guess.

That or "Live in your world. play in ours." with the PS symbols.

Gusy

There's only one slogan that really sold me a product. It was super effective ..

It was by FALCON NORTHWEST in the 90's (Makers of gaming PC's)

It said: ¨ FRAMERATE IS LIFE ¨

Amen Falcon Northwest... amen.

Looking back, I don't think any of them were particularly good or "worked" on me, as someone who got into consoles later than average. (When I started college I didn't own a console of my own, but by the time I graduated I had owned a PS2, a PSP, an Xbox, a launch PS3 and an HDTV).

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I was always a fan of some of the circa 2004 GameCube slogans, such as "We make games that make games worth playing."

13ruce

Banned
"#4theplayers"
More like for the money with the ps+ price increase, no cross play support and fucking crappy customer support.

Btw i like and own Sony's games and platforms tho, so i am not a pure hater:p

SkylineRKR

Sony's Ps1 era marketing was really good. It ushered gaming into a new era, it was like 'hey, for you 18 year olds and beyond gaming is also pretty cool'. They embraced the then popular rave scene, and their marketing constantly evolved with the audience. When the console reached its peak, they created Double Life, which was aimed at anyone.

Do not underestimate the power of Playstation, used by SCEE, was a good tagline.

I felt that they lost their touch with PS2 which were weird ass commercials, but the console didn't really need commercials that made sense as it sold by itself. Ps3 was a dark era and with PS4 they went back to the PS1 days, the 4theplayers since 1995 was good. As a playstation gamer from that era it grabbed my attenton (guys playing Tekken 1 on a small CRT in a 90's bedroom, that was me) and felt the PS4 would be their comeback. Which it became.

BriGuy

"World's most powerful console" is like being the world's oldest person. It's only true for a little while. I should go through my old system manuals and see how many refer to themselves as such. I'm guessing most.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Loved Jump In and It's Thinking.

Live in Your World, Play in Ours was great too.

Also, The Worlds Most Powerful console was used looooong before Microsoft ever used it. I mean, even Sony used it for the PS4 Pro.

PetrCobra

Their real one was like way worse than that. It was something along the lines of 'Would U like to play?' The Wii era was garbage imo in terms of marketing, but the OG Wii sold tons so I guess I don't know what Im talking about.

I knew there were still people who didn't know the difference between Wii and Wii U, but I didn't realize they can be found on GAF. Hi there!

Edit: I hate Sony's consoles but love their marketing. Most of it. Jump In was also good.

oti

Banned
I like "Share the joy". It's very fitting for Switch with its Joy-Con controllers.

"Touching is good" for the DS was also great.

kubev

I liked how Dreamcast's box had "the ultimate gaming system" on its box. I don't disagree with the claim, either. Dreamcast is such a great system. So ahead of its time.

Beta tested in the future was really fucking stupid and they deserve all the criticism for that one

Most powerful console is also really stupid. I think Sony used it too at some point? It's just too matter of fact to be anything other than a bullet point on a box. There's no effort

oti

Banned
Beta tested in the future was really fucking stupid and they deserve all the criticism for that one

Most powerful console is also really stupid. I think Sony used it too at some point? It's just too matter of fact to be anything other than a bullet point on a box. There's no effort

It's hands-down the best though. It's simple and the plain truth. Not as emotional as "4 The Players", but the more emotional the more bullshit it can get.

Top Bottom