• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Bethesda owns S.T.A.L.K.E.R. IP (UPDATE: doesn't seem to be true)

Fjordson

The publisher of the best sold/reviewed single player RPG of last year, acquires IP.

DOOM AND GLOOM.

Neogaf.gif
I love Bethesda (as a developer), but I think this is just a case of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. being wildly different from anything Bethesda's ever done so old fans are understandably nervous. Though I'd probably enjoy the hell out of the game if they actually did end up with the IP.

Though I thought the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. team had already moved onto something other than a sequel, so I don't think it matter much at this point.

If we're talking about Bethesda the publisher, then that's a whole different story (I'm still nervous about Prey 2).

injurai

Banned
When did Bethesda get added to the publisher's to hate list? Was it when the saved id by financially taking them on? Or when the brought on Arkane Studios to make a spiritual successor to Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah? Was it when they revived fallout into an awesome open world game, or when the made Skyrim?

Oh it was Brink wasn't it... yeah lets never trust them again >.<

Eusis

That's what makes it worse, really. Bethesda Softworks really IS their crown jewel, without them they'd just be some shitty publisher that happened to get id and Shinji Mikami, though perhaps not if they didn't have said crown jewel to lead them to success. I really liked the Elder Scrolls games and Fallout 3, but the publisher has pulled some nasty crap.

When did Bethesda get added to the publisher's to hate list?
Mainly when they stiffed Obsidian on their bonus because they were ONE POINT AWAY from matching their Metacritic quota, not to mention the apparent lack of QA they gave their game.

AppleMIX

I hope you'd react the same way you did here if a developer with a completely different background took over one of your favourite franchises!

If they game was truly bad, I would just not play it and move on. It's that simple.

Dragon Age: Origins was one of my favorite games of this generation and you don't see me shitting up a storm about DA2.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

iby2frVcZP1xPA.gif

kamspy

I'll take Bethesda's STALKER over no STALKER.

It's my favorite game of all time.

If the rumors about Beth buying Obsidian around the release of New Vegas came true I'd be doing a rain dance right now. :/

Oh well. Still better to me than underfunded STALKER 2 that was in the works or even worse, no STALKER.

KorrZ

Sounds great, maybe I'll actually play a STALKER game now. Bethesda has a great eye for IP pick ups, first Fallout and now STALKER? From what I understand STALKER is first person open world so it should fit right in with Bethesda's style of game development.

kamspy

Bethesda's Fallout was the best Fallout, so this doesn't bother me.

I actually love Fallout 1 and 2, but this is partially right. At least in that New Vegas is my favorite Fallout game, having played them all at least twice through. It's not Bethesda's, but it's their engine and general formula.

Come at me PC GAF. We can have PC gamer on PC gamer violence.

Derrick01

Banned
When did Bethesda get added to the publisher's to hate list?

Oh it was Brink wasn't it... yeah lets never trust them again >.<

It was your last two points (fallout 3 and skyrim suck and are focus tested mass market RPG drivel) and most games they publish tend to blow. Zenimax is more responsible for that part though. They're responsible for fucking up Rogue Warrior and publishing Brink and that shitty medieval game and for screwing around with Prey 2.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Stalker is distinctly Eastern European, much like, say, Yakuza is distinctly Japanese. Hand it off to another team elsewhere (not just Bethesda) and you lose a large core of the game. It's not really Stalker anymore.

We'll see what comes of this though, if anything. I'm not so sure it's true, and if it is, whatever. I'll still have my three games.

I actually love Fallout 1 and 2, but this is partially right. At least in that New Vegas is my favorite Fallout game, having played them all at least twice through. It's not Bethesda's, but it's their engine and general formula.

New Vegas is my favorite RPG, period.

I still don't think giving Stalker to Obsidian, Bethesda, or any of these related types would work though. ;p

Varna

It was hardly Fallout 3 in a different scenario. The game was great despite the carry overs from Fallout 3. They did a lot to bring the game closer to the originals. I would never say it shared the same general formula.

If they game was truly bad, I would just not play it and move on. It's that simple.

Dragon Age: Origins was one of my favorite games of this generation and you don't see me shitting up a storm about DA2.

Did you express disappointment when the game wasn't the follow up you were looking for?

I don't think "this doesn't sound good to me" is an over reaction, or out of line.

Eusis

It was your last two points (fallout 3 and skyrim suck and are focus tested mass market RPG drivel) and most games they publish tend to blow. Zenimax is more responsible for that part though. They're responsible for fucking up Rogue Warrior and publishing Brink and that shitty medieval game and for screwing around with Prey 2.
It's why I said Bethesda(/Zenimax) is a shitty publisher with a brilliant crown jewel. You hack away id games, Tango Gameworks, and Bethesda Softworks, and you're left with... Call of Cthulhu as their only good game? They'd be a completely forgettable, third rate publisher if it weren't for Bethesda Softworks.

domstah

I, in all seriousness, look forward to a console S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game. I'd be happy with a port of the original trilogy too.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAHHAHHAA

OHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAHAHAAAAAA!!!!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
On the other hand they can ask 4A Games to work on this.

TWIST.

Ok, now let's see what people at NMA think about this rumour.

LQX

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was boring as shit. Hopefully they can make the gameplay more compelling as I liked the setting.

NooooooooOOOOOOooooooOO!

thatsthat.jpg

Worst day ever! Holy shit. Beloved franchise killed to be revived as a spawn from hell, and dumbed down for a mass market audience.

You are so wrong on this. NV is so terrible in comparison to 3.

saunderez

I didn't think STALKER games could get any buggier!

They can't. It's literally impossible for any game to be as buggy as the original STALKER was at release.

You are so wrong on this. NV is so terrible in comparison to 3.

I agree. Purely because Capitol Wasteland > Mojave Wasteland. Other areas of NV were better than FO3 but Bethesda made a more interesting and cohesive world.

i-Lo

Well, I can only wonder what this would mean if there was a current gen console launch. PS3 owners are forewarned.

Anyway, on a slightly different yet relevant topic, why does Fallout 3/NV have such terrible first person control? I understand it encourages the use of VATS but still I am pretty sure the PC owners don't have to suffer through this BS. It's like they deliberately fucked up the controls. Same thing with Skyrim to an extent. The controls seem no where near as fluid as other 30fps games.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was boring as shit. Hopefully they can make the gameplay more compelling as I liked the setting.

See views like this one had me very pessimistic about S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, which no doubt was gonna be "streamlined to the console experience".

Now with Bethesda at the reigns, a focus tested mass market S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is guaranteed.

Its better than nothing.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fans are gonna get something which is extremely close to nothing. At least they can't take away the original trilogy.

Top Bottom