• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoNintendo: "Getting the switch at gamestop might be a bit of a difficult endeavor"

prag16

Banned
They can be hit or miss on whether they carry Nintendo hardware at all, or just through third party sellers.

Any reason not to consider other online options like Best Buy? Just as reliable in my experience, free release date shipping etc.

Best Buy screwed me over on my Wii U preorder. They had to renew the hold on the funds (or some shit) and I was prompted by emails to call them to straighten it out.

When I did that, the rep "accidentally" cancelled my order, long after preorders were closed. There was no way to reverse it. After a berating their supervisor for 20 minutes I got a $50 gift card out of it.

I was able to get a preorder at a more off the radar local chain.

For Switch I'm less enthusiastic than I was then. If Amazon doesn't have it maybe I'll try some other site, but not gonna go too crazy. Definitely not gonna wait in line at a brick and mortar store for a preorder.

Wouldn't it be Friday? New 3DS was Friday. The Wii U was a Sunday release because they released everything on Sundays back then.

... you make a great point. I was going off of Wii and Wii U releases, but if it IS a Friday release, I'll be happy as a clam. Just trying to prepare for the worst, so to speak.

NateDrake

Sure. I honestly have no idea. I'm just saying I don't think there's a lot of solid info out there right now to honestly gauge whether this thing is going to be a hit or not. It could be the next Wii. Or they might announce Thursday night that it's going to cost five hundred and ninety nine US dollars and have almost no surprises in terms of launch games and tell us that Zelda isn't coming until summer. We really don't know anything right now.

I agree with you. A lot seems to be impulsive reaction fearing that the worse will happen. NES Classic didn't instill confidence, but Nintendo can't fudge up demand of Switch and not restock for weeks. They need a steady flow of stock and they should be able to do so.

Cfer

Neo Member
Assuming we're looking at another Sunday release in North America, I'm going to try Gamestop this Friday for a preorder because I don't want to wait an extra day for a Monday delivery when the time comes, lol. Otherwise I'd just be going Amazon, buying things in person in 2017 feels weird.

Ok cool. We have a Walmart-ey kinda store here called Big W that I always bet on for being ignored by the masses on release days and I've never failed getting something on day one. Just thought maybe some of the non videogame centric stores might work in your favour (sometimes cheaper too).

Assuming we're looking at another Sunday release in North America, I'm going to try Gamestop this Friday for a preorder because I don't want to wait an extra day for a Monday delivery when the time comes, lol. Otherwise I'd just be going Amazon, buying things in person in 2017 feels weird.

US here too and I order most everything from Amazon, but I've never had this experience. Maybe it's regional?

To my knowledge, Nintendo hasn't had Sunday releases in North America for a LONG time.

Everyone, my best friend is going to be out of town and needs me to pre-order his Switch. I can't let him down. I am a man on a mission this week

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a big factor. I just am not completely ignoring the possibility of it being a factor. More to the point, I'm curious to see if they have a better Virtual Console strategy in place for the Switch. If they think that there's a potentially strong marketplace to sell NES games on a tablet/console hybrid platform and their previous precedent is to charge $5 a game, I don't know if the presence of a wildly popular and easy to obtain machine like the NES Classic helps with the VC games pitch. But I also understand that the audience for the NES Classic and the Switch isn't necessarily the same.

I mentioned it last because I wanted it to be clear that this isn't my number one reason for thinking they undershipped the NES Classic. Just something in the back of my mind.

I definitely agree with you on value perception in relation to the dedicated market. But until we know what their plan is for Switch VC it's hard to draw conclusions. The success of the NES Classic could mean a lot of things depending on how you interpret the data and what your end goal is.

But in the same notion, I think the NES classic was more about brand awareness and retail relations than making boatloads of money. Given NERD worked on it I am pretty comfortable in saying this was just a stop gap project. I really dont think they believe $2/game + the cost of manufacturing will destroy their digital front given its just a plug and play.

I'm extremely skeptical of this number. That sounds crazy high to me. The fact that the NES Classic shipment number mentioned there is wrong by an order of magnitude also does not instill confidence.

Went from 2mill until the end of the fiscal year for the world, to now 2.5 mill for NA. That figure doesn't make any sense.

There's no way that number is accurate.
It should say 2.5 worldwide I'm assuming which is somewhat better than 2 million lol

While I doubt this will be the case, I'm really not entertaining any of Nintendo's "whoops we undershipped!! Tee hee!!!" bullshit anymore.

I genuinely think it's too early to tell that right now. We are missing incredibly important pieces of information like price and actual launch lineup right now. This really is just pure fan anxiety right now fueling this.

Yes you're right I am paranoid, but maybe my bases are covered better if I show up at GameStop early Friday morning rather than trusting online ordering.

Why do people wanna preorder through a gamestop? Is the purchase incentivised if you go specifically through them or are people just genuinely worried they won't get a Switch on day one?

The reason I like the idea is that it is 10 minutes from where I live and to be able to pick it up locally day one of release.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Are you sure it wasn't left there on a Saturday?

Neither UPS, nor FedEx, nor the USPS deliver anything on Sunday.

USPS does Amazon Sunday deliveries in certain cities/metro areas. Atlanta is one for sure, as I have gotten several Amazon packages delievered by the mailman on Sundays the past couple of years.

It's just a away the struggling postal service is trying to make some extra money and Amazon building more loyalty by paying them to deliver on Sunday when their online competitors don't offer Sunday delivery options.

2.5m are ps4 and xb1 launch NA numbers

so while i would be sceptical, i don't see them as totally out of reach for a $249 console
although it's nintendo and not the holiday season
the biggest question is; initial shipment for what timeframe? the first 3 months on sale?

on a greater scale, 2.5m NA initial launch shipment for NA would be around 5m or a little more worldwide
that seems really big.

but don't take my assumptions for anything, i'm not a supply chain guy

Will pre-orders go up Thurs night after the presentation or probably not until Friday? Will most Gamestops let a person just put $50 down for it now if they want? Sorry if this has been asked a lot but busy day and haven't had time to get through the thread much.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Will pre-orders go up Thurs night after the presentation or probably not until Friday? Will most Gamestops let a person just put $50 down for it now if they want? Sorry if this has been asked a lot but busy day and haven't had time to get through the thread much.

Unknown yet. It seems Gamestop is probably don't them Friday morning per some posts saying employees were told they'd leave a note on the door with how many preorders they were allotted at closing on Thursday. $50 down should be enough at Gamestop I'd think, but no confirmation.

No word on other stores, when online retailers will put preorders up etc.

Doctre81

I'd count on both happening depending on the store.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

GoNintendo suggested GameStop's online pre-orders would start Thursday night and in-store on Friday, but none of this is certain, of course.

I really hope we hear from Amazon if they're planning on stocking the system and when. I hope it's Thursday night.

Unknown yet. It seems Gamestop is probably don't them Friday morning per some posts saying employees were told they'd leave a note on the door with how many preorders they were allotted at closing on Thursday. $50 down should be enough at Gamestop I'd think, but no confirmation.

No word on other stores, when online retailers will put preorders up etc.

I'd count on both happening depending on the store.

Thanks, I just called both our local Gamestops and reps at both stores said they aren't allowed to take any pre-orders until after the presentation and each said probably not until Friday morning, ugh.

LoveCake

This cannot be because there hasn't been enough manufactured, when did Foxconn start manufacturing Switch's and how many did Nintendo estimate they were going to sell in year one, must be due to retailers not ordering enough.

With Nintendo leaving it only a few weeks to give the details and spec and the release, retailers are not going to say they will buy X amount and end up getting lumbered with them, Nintendo may have shot themselves in the foot.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Preorders schmeeorders, I'm just going to walk into Gamestop the day of release and get one like a boss.
Yeah, that's what I did with the wii.. No, wait, I lined up overnight for each of the two launch units I got (one for myself and one for a good friend).

ViciousDS

Banned
Welp, Nintendo switch went from a wait to, this is the console I buy this year.

Guess I'll try to nab one online lol

This is not going to be fun!

xxiijm

Neo Member
Amazon has a relationship with the USPS to have Sunday delivery of packages.

I wouldn't trust it much. I have run into USPS just losing packages. I can even speak on this currently because I had one package scheduled to be delivered Sunday , yesterday, did not arrive until today @ 5:41pm

Oh man i totally misread the title. I thought it was getting at that gamestop wasnt going to carry the switch for some reason. Ita just a supply thing, nothing to see here.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't trust it much. I have run into USPS just losing packages. I can even speak on this currently because I had one package scheduled to be delivered Sunday , yesterday, did not arrive until today @ 5:41pm

To be fair that's just sometimes the case with USPS (and other shipping services). Things get lost/delayed, drivers are lazy and skip out of the way stops until the next day etc.

I've not noticed it being any more prevalent with Sunday deliveries.

Sunday launches are lame anyway. Hopefully they stick with their recent game release trend and do it on a Friday. Give people the whole weekend to play. Rumors have pointed to the 17th which is a Friday.

If you added all the times I warned people that this would be undershipped as hell, you would get a number bigger than the one you will get adding all the Switch stock most stores will get.

bluehat9

Guess I'm not getting one at launch if true. Not running around like an idiot because nintendo wants to make them hard to get.

This cannot be because there hasn't been enough manufactured, when did Foxconn start manufacturing Switch's and how many did Nintendo estimate they were going to sell in year one, must be due to retailers not ordering enough.

With Nintendo leaving it only a few weeks to give the details and spec and the release, retailers are not going to say they will buy X amount and end up getting lumbered with them, Nintendo may have shot themselves in the foot.

Wasn't the running rumor that manufacturing of retail units started at the end of September and was going at 20k a day, with room for more if demand necessitated supply?

Scrawnton

Wasn't the running rumor that manufacturing of retail units started at the end of September and was going at 20k a day, with room for more if demand necessitated supply?

I think they said 2m from launch to the end of March but they will increase it if the demand is there. Honestly, they should just open preorders and cut them off after one week (at physical retailers and much sooner for online) and increase manufacturing for the preorders made. It does them no favors to have a shortage of a product in March. They need all the positive buzz at launch they can get and cutting of preorders due to low stock will hurt them.

Top Bottom