• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Some fan art

tumblr_oilvrqVTih1rrjqwfo1_500.jpg

Looked familiar, sure enough:

Miura comments about the normal characters is very interesting and one of the biggest flaws in any Berserk adaptation (less so the 99 series). Berserk is a world of grand heroes and this larger than life characters and monsters yet it is also a world populated by several normal, mundane characters who give expression to the grandeur of the story. And Miura spends quiet a bit of time to give this characters some kind of texture so they aren't merely pawns for narrative purposes.

So I kinda stopped reading for a while, but I've blown through about 50 chapters today (currently on 200) and might make it another 50 before the night ends and I just wanted to reconfirm that this is probably one of my all time favorite pieces of fiction.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So I kinda stopped reading for a while, but I've blown through about 50 chapters today (currently on 200) and might make it another 50 before the night ends and I just wanted to reconfirm that this is probably one of my all time favorite pieces of fiction.

You've gotten past one of the best fights in the entire series. The Zodd versus Guts rematch on the Hill of Swords was one of those moments I wish I could get back. It may be one of the best drawn fight scenes in any comic, Western or Eastern, I have ever seen. Shit you just got to Flora's place. You're about to get to some crazy shit that is going to be "oh shit!" moment after "Oh shit!" moment.

You've gotten past one of the best fights in the entire series. The Zodd versus Guts rematch on the Hill of Swords was one of those moments I wish I could get back. It may be one of the best drawn fight scenes in any comic, Western or Eastern, I have ever seen. Shit you just got to Flora's place. You're about to get to some crazy shit that is going to be "oh shit!" moment after "Oh shit!" moment.
I'm excited :) not sure how I was able to put this down for so long but I'm certainly unable to right now. Enjoying every bit of it far too much.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm excited :) not sure how I was able to put this down for so long but I'm certainly unable to right now. Enjoying every bit of it far too much.

Its funny saying you haven't seen anything yet as things are about to escalate, yet again. I won't say anymore... also some more fucked up shit is about to happen. You'll see... lol

I once had a girl over, it was during the time the anime was on the air so I used to have the manga laying all over the room, and I remember she grabbed and checked one and asked me "what's this" and I just hoped she wasn't picking the Wyald volume.

She's probably into the roughest stuff...be safe.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

I once had a girl over, it was during the time the anime was on the air so I used to have the manga laying all over the room, and I remember she grabbed and checked one and asked me "what's this" and I just hoped she wasn't picking the Wyald volume.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )
Or the Troll volume or the page where Guts is fucking a demon, or the fetus page, or the Eclipse page or...

Slightly off topic, I'm selling my house aka moving. I'm trying to downsize/sell as much as possible. I noticed complete sets of Berserk are going for ~$600+. Checking, it looks like Dark Horse just did a mini reprint of some select volumes.
If I'm patient enough will I be able to rebuy the complete collection? Is there any chance they wouldn't reprint?
I'm thinking of selling and putting in an order of Rightstuf next time they have a Dark Horse sale. They only ship when the order is complete, correct? Will they hold stock or would I have to wait until all volumes are available?

Slightly off topic, I'm selling my house aka moving. I'm trying to downsize/sell as much as possible. I noticed complete sets of Berserk are going for ~$600+. Checking, it looks like Dark Horse just did a mini reprint of some select volumes.
If I'm patient enough will I be able to rebuy the complete collection? Is there any chance they wouldn't reprint?
I'm thinking of selling and putting in an order of Rightstuf next time they have a Dark Horse sale. They only ship when the order is complete, correct? Will they hold stock or would I have to wait until all volumes are available?

I think there's better chance of a future new Berserk edition (like an omnibus) than Dark Horse reprinting the entire thing.

Jake.

i bought vol 1 about 12 years ago (i'm 29 now), although manga/comics never really clicked with me as a kid. not sure why but maybe it was to do with my attention span. anyway, since then i've obviously come across it occasionally online and it's piqued my interest again.

is it worth trying again and jumping back in? i remember vol 2 and 3 were going for stupid prices but it appears they have been reprinted.

i bought vol 1 about 12 years ago (i'm 29 now), although manga/comics never really clicked with me as a kid. not sure why but maybe it was to do with my attention span. anyway, since then i've obviously come across it occasionally online and it's piqued my interest again.

is it worth trying again and jumping back in? i remember vol 2 and 3 were going for stupid prices but it appears they have been reprinted.

Yes

If manga/comics never really clicked with you, I suppose it's only natural to read a bit before to see if you like. It's a bit pricey the whole thing.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

I was the same, even though we have comics (from my older siblings) I didn't really read them as a kid I dunno know why (maybe because it was all connected and I just read an issue at random). Almost over 16 years I kinda became interested in manga and it didn't click either (+ they are in black and white). After the berserk movies were announced I just said fuck it and read the manga because I really liked the anime and I just read it all day and couldn't leave my hands off it (luckily it was a holiday).
So if you really are interested just give it a shot.

frontovik

Banned
While waiting for the Berserk hiatus to end .. are there any manga really similar to Berserk in terms of historical inspiration and themes?

Anything to do with 15th/16th century Late Medieval/Renaissance Europe is preferable ...similar art style would be a bonus.

Google search brings up Claymore as a contender, but I'm not impressed by it.

While waiting for the Berserk hiatus to end .. are there any manga really similar to Berserk in terms of historical inspiration and themes?

Anything to do with 15th/16th century Late Medieval/Renaissance Europe is preferable ...similar art style would be a bonus.

Vinland Saga. Not quite as 'epic' in scope (artistically or storyline wise), but touches on similar themes with a grounded art style.

Vagabond. I can say the same thing about this as Vinland Saga except it's about a Samurai instead of a Viking, and it's more atmospheric.

There's Wolfsmund. It has nothing to do with Berserk but it's set on 14th century of Europe and it's violent as fuck.

Nibel

Vagabond is outstanding

Vinland Saga is cool as well; some amazing art

Never heard of Wolfsmund - will check that one out

Famassu

Vinland Saga. Not quite as 'epic' in scope (artistically or storyline wise), but touches on similar themes with a grounded art style.

Vagabond. I can say the same thing about this as Vinland Saga except it's about a Samurai instead of a Viking, and it's more atmospheric.
Vinland Saga starts off a bit similar to how Golden Age era Berserk is, but it's more grounded & realistic (historical fiction rather than dark fantasy of Berserk), though some characters do perform some feats that are tied more to the rule of cool than real life physics. But after awhile Vinland Saga takes a pretty big turn into another direction, pretty much the opposite direction of Berserk, so recommending it to Berserk fans/people looking for "something similar to Berserk" should come with a bit of a warning that it's not super close to Berserk, when all is said & done.

I mean, it IS from the creator of Planetes, so people should know that some parts of the manga are more reminiscent of Planetes type relaxed, slow-paced human drama & exploration of some traits of humans & our societies and not really comparable to Guts' gore and action filled dark, fantastical quest for revenge.

frontovik

Banned
Thanks for the recommendations! I've looked into Vinland Saga, but Famassu is correct about how it's not exactly the same as Berserk with regards to certain themes.

I liked Vagabond from what I've read, but it doesn't have that European setting that I'm interested in. Wolfsmund is good, but I'm not a fan of the art style.

Wolfsmund art is indeed simple (at least compared to Berserk) but the author actually has quite a great understanding about space and action-composing.

Grudy

This is very out of the way, but I would recommend Monster, especially after the story gets going. Both me and my friend are big fans of both series so maybe give it a shot.

It looks like my Feb. 8 prediction (more like a dream, it really happened ._.) won't come true.

Started reading the manga (Ive watch the 90s show twice, and a couple episodes of 2016 'shudders')

Holy fuck, puck is thankfully decent in the manga, he was fucking awful in the two episodes i watched of the 2016 show.

Reading while listening to the 90s ost. good stuff

Nope, nothing yet. I'm expecting the releases to start up again in March since that's about six months since the last one.

I'm pretty confident the new chapters will start again in April. That's when the new anime starts, so they'll probably roll out the new chapters along with the anime just like how they did it last year. I'll be in Japan from March 27th - April 13th, so hopefully a new chapter releases within that time frame. I'd love to get a copy of Young Animal with a Berserk chapter in it as a souvenir while I'm in Japan.

Goldboy

Started reading the manga (Ive watch the 90s show twice, and a couple episodes of 2016 'shudders')

Holy fuck, puck is thankfully decent in the manga, he was fucking awful in the two episodes i watched of the 2016 show.

Reading while listening to the 90s ost. good stuff

Yeah, Puck's awesome in the manga.

Moonkid

Ugh, I read a few volumes of Wolfsmund and I didn't like it at all. The downer-endings and graphic violence got old real quick for me. Bit of a shame since the historical setting was interesting enough.

Top Bottom