• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mifune

Mehmber
If it makes you feel any better, you likely would have figured this out fairly early on. It's the why that's important.

It was pretty much just confirmation of what I was thinking (lots of clues, obviously) so not the end of the world. Just dismayed at my stupidity for reading it.

Also that does make me feel better. So thank you.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

tumblr_m8eku9MpGm1rdq8keo1_250.gif

Just read that huge spoiler above like a fucking moron. Fuck me.

Damn Sunhi. Pretty soon there'll be enough gifs to edit together into the greatest action movie ever made. Every one is amazing! Thank you.

I don't know. That would kind of make it sound like the first game was bad.

i havent finished the game yet so im saying i want more. i dont know the ending but ill spoiler tag it just in case. sorry about that guys dont want misunderstandings

just in case mifune, you were talking about my post lol

Ok I'm on main mission 17

I guess they really mean it when they say finish all your shit before proceeding, ya? I only have a few including some Cauldrons but I should do those before starting this mission?

ChouGoku

I just figured out how to turn on HDR mode on yesterday.
banderas.png
banderas.png
banderas.png
banderas.png

OMG I'm using a regular PS4 on a 65 in 4k TV and it looks amazing. I can only imagine how this melts brains on PS4 Pro.

Ok I'm on main mission 17

I guess they really mean it when they say finish all your shit before proceeding, ya? I only have a few including some Cauldrons but I should do those before starting this mission?
Not really man. You can still do all the sidequests and errands after you beat the game. It's just that it makes more sense story quest if you do Vanasha's quests first

Salz01

Just found out you can change the time of day in photo mode in realtime. Back and forth on the slider. 😳

Incredible

SlickVic

It's really cool they give you a PS4 theme for getting the platinum, but it just doesn't seem very usable because the text blends in so much with the images. It's too bad since if they added a touch of text shadow it would actually be a pretty nice static theme.

Griss

Played another 6 hours. Pretty good, story picked up again.

Just had the reveal as to what the Zero Dawn in the title means / refers to. Mission 18 or thereabouts, I think. It was quite obvious but the way it was done in the game was excellent, even if they went overboard with the amount of data logs and I often had Aloy drowned out by the endless data log exposition. At least these data logs were actually worthwhile, though. The whole situation was fascinating.

While I had predicted exactly what Zero Dawn would be at the Maker's End mission, one thing that swerved me was
Sylens being a real person. I was totally convinced that he was the AI that Gaia turned out to be. I knew that kind of AI would have to exist and that it must have created the peaceful machines, I just had been sure that Sylens would be it, and that Sylens would have therefore ordered Aloy's birth, and in a sense be her 'father'. When he rode into the colosseum was a real, 'Wait, what?!?' moment for me.

I'm actually not sure what more there is to discover in the story, but hopefully there's a twist or two left. Aloy is obviously
a clone of Elisabet, but I suppose the question is why the system decided to birth her long after all the repopulation work was done. To fight Hades and let Gaia resume control, presumably. The other question is what exactly is going on with Hades - why was it built, what's its purpose, why's it doing what it's doing. There were a few of the Zero Dawn programs I didn't fully get, and Hades was one of them.

This game is much better when following the main quest than when doing side quests and errands. Exploring isn't hugely great, but it has its moments. Ran into two Rockbreakers and finally decided to try and fight them - was one hell of a war of attrition.

ricelord

It's really cool they give you a PS4 theme for getting the platinum, but it just doesn't seem very usable because the text blends in so much with the images. It's too bad since if they added a touch of text shadow it would actually be a pretty nice static theme.

plat the game since the 4th, have yet to get email for the theme. >:|

edit: i found out that i had a plat theme code for bloodborne.

edit2: the hell? they sent me 2 codes for bloodborne. if anyone want it quote reveal

Played another 6 hours. Pretty good, story picked up again.

Just had the reveal as to what the Zero Dawn in the title means / refers to. Mission 18 or thereabouts, I think. It was quite obvious but the way it was done in the game was excellent, even if they went overboard with the amount of data logs and I often had Aloy drowned out by the endless data log exposition. At least these data logs were actually worthwhile, though. The whole situation was fascinating.

While I had predicted exactly what Zero Dawn would be at the Maker's End mission, one thing that swerved me was
Sylens being a real person. I was totally convinced that he was the AI that Gaia turned out to be. I knew that kind of AI would have to exist and that it must have created the peaceful machines, I just had been sure that Sylens would be it, and that Sylens would have therefore ordered Aloy's birth, and in a sense be her 'father'. When he rode into the colosseum was a real, 'Wait, what?!?' moment for me.

I'm actually not sure what more there is to discover in the story, but hopefully there's a twist or two left. Aloy is obviously
a clone of Elisabet, but I suppose the question is why the system decided to birth her long after all the repopulation work was done. To fight Hades and let Gaia resume control, presumably. The other question is what exactly is going on with Hades - why was it built, what's its purpose, why's it doing what it's doing. There were a few of the Zero Dawn programs I didn't fully get, and Hades was one of them.

This game is much better when following the main quest than when doing side quests and errands. Exploring isn't hugely great, but it has its moments. Ran into two Rockbreakers and finally decided to try and fight them - was one hell of a war of attrition.
This game just keeps getting better as the main quest progresses. The beginning 5 hours are maybe the weakest part. I didn't do any side quests, the main quest itself is extremely satisfying.
Such a good game.

Skux

What's everyone's Rockbreaker strategy? Stormbirds and Thunderjaws are fine for me, but these things are my nemesis. I just don't get enough time to inflict elemental states when they spend so much time underground and then pop up seemingly at random and squash me. Tried spamming traps but they blow up close to me and I take splash damage.

wapplew

What's everyone's Rockbreaker strategy? Stormbirds and Thunderjaws are fine for me, but these things are my nemesis. I just don't get enough time to inflict elemental states when they spend so much time underground and then pop up seemingly at random and squash me. Tried spamming traps but they blow up close to me and I take splash damage.

If you have Shadow rope caster with full handling mod, when it use beach whale attack, you will be able to rope it and apply element status.
Stick a few bomb anywhere and profit.

SlickVic

oh i never got it yet, just found that i had 2 theme codes for bloodborne for some reason.

Sorry to hear that then. Didn't go to a spam folder by any chance? I feel like I've heard several stories of those who got the platinum closer to launch who didn't receive the code. I think the other thing to check was whether you're still opted into the Playstation marketing emails, though not sure if turning it on now would make the email appear.

This is on normal difficulty? I feel even when they burrow underground they still end up spending a bit of time above ground in the "beached whale" position. Basically you just have to maximize the time they're above ground. The body is weak to freeze, and if you have the triple arrow ability along with some good purple freeze damage mods to your war bow you should be able to get it close to filling the freeze meter with one triple bow shot (and should fill the meter with one additional shot). After that it takes pretty good damage even to regular arrows from what I recall (I'm forgetting if I used fire arrows or regular arrows after I got the freezing status to do more damage).

If you're able to take down their arm claw things with a tearblast arrow I think that disables their ability to burrow, but that was tough to pull off. I think the biggest key to fighting them is to keep them frozen. To me, it was the difference between then going down in a couple minutes vs being 10 minutes deep in a fight with one of them and barely taking a third of their health bar off.

Memento

Fuckkk, I just discovered that
Ted Faro is a worse motherfucker than I thought he was. The guy was crazy.

I dont think I have ever played any open world game with such an amazingly executed narrative like this. It is done so beautifully paced and crafted. And the best thing about it is that I am always anxious to see what is coming next, because the lore, the misteries, the build up, everything story wise is so intriguing. It is legit good sci fi. I think the next story mission is the last. I am 70hours in. Any way to know if there are sidequests still to do? I really dont want to lose stuff :/

I dont think I have ever played any open world game with such an amazingly executed narrative like this. It is done so beautifully paced and crafted. And the best thing about it is that I am always anxious to see what is coming next, because the lore, the misteries, the build up, everything story wise is so intriguing. It is legit good sci fi. I think the next story mission is the last. I am 70hours in. Any way to know if there are sidequests still to do? I really dont want to lose stuff :/
Yes, hzd beats tw3 imo. The story is so good. I love how you get to know the alpha crew, a good mix between bioshock and metroid prime.
When is the sequel coming out? I cannot wait.

I'll spoiler tag in case you don't want to know. Below is the amount of main, side, and errand quests.

Main Quests: 21

Side Quests: 22

Errands: 14

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Being a coward, I find a place far away that I can hide behind. I then shoot at its feet with the sonic arrows to remove their diggers. I duck and cower behind cover as it shoots rocks at me. Rince and repeat till it can't dig. Then I carge, ropecast it. Then shoot it till its dead.

Karish

So I started this game today and realized Aloy's hair wasn't as red as I had seen. This caused me to look into calibration settings on my TV. Wow this game looks incredible now and I'm thankful it will pay dividends in other games I am sure

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
The other question is what exactly is going on with Hades - why was it built, what's its purpose, why's it doing what it's doing. There were a few of the Zero Dawn programs I didn't fully get, and Hades was one of them.
Are you religiously searching for datapoints? In the ZD complex as you're looking for elizabet's office, you go through each of the Alpha's officess, and they tell you what each program was. Hades' was especially detailed. You can go back and check or I can just tell you: *new spoiler block*
It was made in case Gaia made a mistake and needed to start from scratch. A fail state would trigger Hades to take over and reset the earth so Gaia can try again. Gaia was designed to love life too much to give up. So Hades would do it for her.

Just finished the game along with the platinum at about 60 hours. Still amazed that I was playing such finely tuned action combat in what is easily the most detailed open world ever. The game set 2 bars in that respect. The story was awesome as well. I really had fun learning how the world came to be.

I think my main gripe was at somewhere around maybe 40 hours, I started losing the desire to simply explore and take down enemies. I had reached a point where I had the best armor, best coils, best weaves etc. I actually started fast traveling most places because I wasn't being rewarded for exploring anymore. Thats not a huge deal considering 40 hours is quite a while, but perhaps a sequel could improve it.

Overall it's a top game of the generation. I just want more now.

Skux

Aloy looks so good in the Oseram sparkworker outfit! It's one of the few costumes that actually looks practical for exploration and combat.

bombshell

So that first point of no return warning given by
Sylens
. It seems the consensus is that there really isn't anything missable afterwards.

I was thinking there must be a reason for giving it. Is it confirmed that
the very early sidequest (can't remember if there was one or more) in the embrace is still playable after the embrace is attacked? I think there at least was the one with the old lady who wanted you to find her bracelet or something. Did anybody skip it for whatever reason and know if she's still there after the attack forcing the people to retreat?

I had an amazing fight against 2 snapmaws yesterday. I kind of cheesed them by hiding around this huge tree. I kept flanking them and picked off armour at will. They would then jump at me and I was getting out of the way just in time. It would have made quite the gif if I had any idea how to do it

Tyaren

the very early sidequest (can't remember if there was one or more) in the embrace is still playable after the embrace is attacked? I think there at least was the one with the old lady who wanted you to find her bracelet or something. Did anybody skip it for whatever reason and know if she's still there after the attack forcing the people to retreat?

Funny you would ask that. ;) I was actually worried for Odd Grata, when I didn't find her with all other side quest characters inside the mountain after the attack. I feared that maybe she got killed... :( I went to look for her at her usual place and there she was still diligently praying to Allmother. So, if you didn't do her quest before, I am sure you can still do it at that point.

You know a game is doing it right, once you start caring for the wellbeing of fictional characters. ;)

danowat

Banned
I've just finished a mission
where you go into the Faro skyscrapper, and there are some huge revelations between Ted and Elisebet
, my question is, surely that can't be the whole exposition?, are there any twists to come?

Tyaren

I've just finished a mission
where you go into the Faro skyscrapper, and there are some huge revelations between Ted and Elisebet
, my question is, surely that can't be the whole exposition?, are there any twists to come?

Nah, there's more. :) One or the other twist or at least something you wouldn't suspect too.

bombshell

Funny you would ask that. ;) I was actually worried for Odd Grata, when I didn't find her with all other side quest characters inside the mountain after the attack. I feared that maybe she got killed... :( I went to look for her at her usual place and there she was still diligently praying to Allmother. So, if you didn't do her quest before, I am sure you can still do it at that point.

You know a game is doing it right, once you start caring for the wellbeing of fictional characters. ;)

lol that's great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom