• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you smoke?

NNope.I smoked a little MJ as a teen very briefly. I've tried cigs and hookah a handful of times. But it's a gross habit, so I didn't see the appeal.

Durask

Quit smoking 3 years ago, don't miss it at all (had cravings for about a month and then was fine) and am constantly kicking myself as to why on earth did I damage my health for so many years and who knows, maybe I'll get cancer down the line because of my past smoking.

Mexen

??

I've smoked cigs for a little over 10 years now (just turned 28). The urge to quit is getting stronger day by day. I cant imagine still smoking when I'm almost 40.

Curious if anyone here has quit, or is going thru a similar phase as me. If anyone has some stories to tell of what it was like, how long it took before you felt the edge was gone, and how much better you feel. Might help me (and maybe others) to finally push thru.

Hi, OP. I'm 27 and I smoked for 9 years before I quit. Like you, I never imagined myself smoking at, say, 40. The urge to quit grew stronger and stronger but whenever I quit, I had bad mood swings.

So, two months ago I got very sick and I was misdiagnosed twice. I thought I was going to die but an emergency appendectomy saved my life.

While recovering, I started to think about how much of a shitty person I am. I figured my near death experience was a sign, you know?

Anyway, I have not smoked since. I admit that the cravings are gone but the withdrawal is still there. I get irritable.

The truth is that I am not a very talkative person and I don't like confrontation but since I stopped smoking, I feel more strongly about people who are condescending.

I learn every day to be more in control of my life though.

I hope when you do quit, you won't struggle as much. I certainly hope you don't go through something drastic like surgery.

Teran

Smoked from 14-22ish, I can't remember when I stopped exactly. I actually just stopped more on a whim than actually feeling "oh I really should quite someday". Just went cold turkey and never really looked back. I'll light up the occasional on new year's eve or on birthdays but other than that I don't. If you have any smoking rituals like having one with a coffee, or lighting one up after a meal, expect the nostalgia to give you cravings for the rest of your life.

They won't be the same in feel as the physical cravings you get during the first week of stopping, but yeah, they're still very real.

I just don't drink coffee anymore lmao

dc3k

Smoked cigarettes for like 10 years, bought a vapourizer about a year and a half ago and switched to that. It's nice not being out of breath from climbing a few flights of stairs.

DKPOWPOW

Hi, OP. I'm 27 and I smoked for 9 years before I quit. Like you, I never imagined myself smoking at, say, 40. The urge to quit grew stronger and stronger but whenever I quit, I had bad mood swings.

So, two months ago I got very sick and I was misdiagnosed twice. I thought I was going to die but an emergency appendectomy saved my life.

While recovering, I started to think about how much of a shitty person I am. I figured my near death experience was a sign, you know?

Anyway, I have not smoked since. I admit that the cravings are gone but the withdrawal is still there. I get irritable.

The truth is that I am not a very talkative person and I don't like confrontation but since I stopped smoking, I feel more strongly about people who are condescending.

I learn every day to be more in control of my life though.

I hope when you do quit, you won't struggle as much. I certainly hope you don't go through something drastic like surgery.

Wow, glad your okay. When you say you feel more strongly about condescending people does that mean you're more likely to say or do something now? Just curious lol.

daniell

2,5 years only started because of weed and this crap is still a daily thing (yeah even if i work the next day) people that claim weed isnt addictive come out and explain yourselves i believed your bullshit! :p

I'm on approximately 7 a day, was around 13 just last year. In terms of time span i've been smoking for over 10 years. I don't think i'll ever truly stop as the cuppa+cigarette combo first thing in the morning is something I need before leaving the house, its still an aspect of smoking I genuinely enjoy and im not prepared to break that routine, for now.

highrider

Banned
Of course not. Why would I waste money and time on something that can only have negative effects on your body?

Nope. Never wanted to because it stinks like hell and well...you know....cancer.

I wish I could explain why it’s one of the great hedonistic pleasures in life. With a cup of coffee on a blustery day.. Of course you’re right, I quit years ago, but nicotine in that form is awesome.

Mexen

Wow, glad your okay. When you say you feel more strongly about condescending people does that mean you're more likely to say or do something now? Just curious lol.

Thanks. Haha, I guess what I meant to say is that I now pay more attention to people and as a result any BS no longer goes unnoticed, or more importantly... ignored. Most of the time, I don't give my opinion but I always act in some way whether it's walking away or making a point somehow. I am a programmer so usually that means writing more efficient code or sticking to good practices.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Smoking cigs is an exercise in diminishing returns. Never understood the appeal of daily cig smoking.

Weed tho...?

I smoked for a year in college and couldn't see if it was doing anything worthwhile for me in regards to stress relief so I quit.

Top Bottom