• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JOHN CARTER (OF MARS!) |OT| (dir. Andrew Stanton)

Status
Not open for further replies.
utQEsl.jpg

IMDB - Rotten Tomatoes

Theatrical trailer #1
Theatrical trailer #2
Theatrical trailer #3

Director: Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo, WALL-E)
Cast: Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, Willem Dafoe, Thomas Hayden Church, Mark Strong, Domonic West and Bryan Cranston
Composer: Michael Giacchino

Synopsis:
Transplanted to Mars, a Civil War vet discovers a lush planet inhabited by 12-foot tall barbarians. Finding himself a prisoner of these creatures, he escapes, only to encounter a princess who is in desperate need of a savior.

LISTEN TO SNIPPETS FROM GIACCHINO'S EXCELLENT SOUNDING SCORE FOR THE FILM

Twitter Impressions
Steven Weintraub@colliderfrosty
JOHN CARTER is a great movie. For 2 hours I was transported to another time and place. Can't wait to see it again. Don't miss it.

Steven Weintraub@colliderfrosty
Also the effects were amazing. The action scenes inspiring. And the music was fantastic. Seriously....JOHN CARTER is not to be missed.

Drew McWeeny@DrewAtHitFix
I am no longer in danger of being killed for saying that I quite liked "John Carter". Full reviews are still embargoed, though.

Devin Faraci@devincf
JOHN CARTER Twitter embargo is lifted! I can say that I will be giving the film a Fresh review.

Devin Faraci@devincf
There are scenes in JOHN CARTER that are all-timers. Some brilliant work. But there are also a LOT of problems with the film.

Devin Faraci@devincf
Hopefully the internet will be able to put aside binary 'It sucks/It rocks' stuff and look at JOHN CARTER as a movie w/ good and bad aspects

Mike Ryan@mikeryan
I enjoyed John Carter more than I thought that I would enjoy John Carter.

RT @jefflagasca: John Carter: It's a decent film which could use an extra 20 minutes for story development.

RT @michaelisbell: Just saw John Carter. More of a movie for kids, but looks great in a Disney CGI way. Weakscript, confusing story and action. #johncarter

RT @Bastholm: I am sad to report that "John Carter" is a failure on every single level, except maybe the CGI. More than anything, it reminds me of "Flash Gordon", but w/o the great Queen songs. The story is convoluted, the acting bad and it's unintentionally hilarious at times.

Release date: March 8, 2012

JOHN CARTER OF WATERWORLD

A recent article about the shitstorm going on over at Disney about the very big potential that this film could be a huge BOMBA.

Sorry for the two threads in one day, but many posters pointed out in the other thread that it's probably time for an OT.

Chris R

Are we going to predict opening weekend figures in this thread or should that talk just stick to the weekly BO thread?

iddqd

can we please make fun of this terrible poster that hangs here in every metro stop?

Spanish_John_Carter_Poster_Introduces_More_Martian_Creatures_1326298935.jpg

What does this tell me?
Carter rides big hippos?

EXITMENT! HE RIDES A HIPPO ON MARS!

And the hot girl is in the back.

TERRIBLE!

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
As it is right now, I'm predicting a subjective 8.3/10 while the film will objectively will be closer to 7.2/10. Get at me

I'll see it just based on Andrew Stanton being the director. I refuse to believe he made a movie that is completely shitty, even with what appears to be substantial studio interference.

Solo

Dude it make the movie look like aliens are taking over earth and John Carter is trying to stop them with the help of good guy aliens while they duke it out in Nevada.

At least it makes it look halfway interesting, something neither previous trailer could provoke.

That poster in the OP looks good they should have just used that to promote the movie instead of the other garbage. I hope the movie is good I really do but so far it just looks and sounds like the love child of the Star Wars Prequels and Prince of Persia.

Hmm. I was planning on checking this out, but I am not liking the feedback in general. I will probably wait for GAF impressions before making a decision.

Also, trailers didn't look very good, even though I wanted to like.

can we please make fun of this terrible poster that hangs here in every metro stop?

Spanish_John_Carter_Poster_Introduces_More_Martian_Creatures_1326298935.jpg

What does this tell me?
Carter rides big hippos?

EXITMENT! HE RIDES A HIPPO ON MARS!

And the hot girl is in the back.

TERRIBLE!

Nobody knows who John Carter is. At least with John Carter of Mars, we know, "Hey, Mars in the mix." Now it's just a random name. Put anything else up there. Doug Roberts.

mrAyS.jpg

Who wants to see that?!

Have they been marketing this hard on Disney Channel/Nick/Cartoon Network or something? Because that's the only way I see this being a hit.

Nobody knows who John Carter is. At least with John Carter of Mars, we know, "Hey, Mars in the mix." Now it's just a random name. Put anything else up there. Doug Roberts.

mrAyS.jpg

Who wants to see that?!

Have they been marketing this hard on Disney Channel/Nick/Cartoon Network or something? Because that's the only way I see this being a hit.

Do mine eyes deceive me, or is he riding blame space?

mrAyS.jpg

Who wants to see that?!

Oh shit, they made a Doug Roberts movie? Day 0.

Timbuktu

Hmm. I was planning on checking this out, but I am not liking the feedback in general. I will probably wait for GAF impressions before making a decision.

Also, trailers didn't look very good, even though I wanted to like.

Really? Gaf impressions? That's usually an incoherent mess of extremes. I don't expect this to be brilliant, but probably surprisingly competent compared to movies last year bar Rise of the Planet of the Apes and MI4.

JdFoX187

Banned
Dude it make the movie look like aliens are taking over earth and John Carter is trying to stop them with the help of good guy aliens while they duke it out in Nevada.

At least it fucking shows the planet Mars. I cannot believe how inept Disney marketing has been to hide every single mention that this takes place on Mars. From the title of the fucking movie down to every piece of promo art and trailer, it looks like the American Southwest. This one trailer finally shows the red planet. Ridiculous.

At least it fucking shows the planet Mars. I cannot believe how inept Disney marketing has been to hide every single mention that this takes place on Mars. From the title of the fucking movie down to every piece of promo art and trailer, it looks like the American Southwest. This one trailer finally shows the red planet. Ridiculous.

"Mars Needs Moms bombed?! Shit! Kids must hate Mars! Stop everything! Ditch the Mars angle."

shira

Mars doesn't have air.

JdFoX187

Banned
"Mars Needs Moms bombed?! Shit! Kids must hate Mars! Stop everything! Ditch the Mars angle."

Honestly? That's what this really looks like. Mars Needs Moms absolutely bombs, so they're hiding it as much as possible. As others have said, it looks like aliens are invading Nevada and some generic looking dude can somehow jump really high and is really strong and will fight them.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I can't wait to go see this with the wider demographics, including girls, that it will now surely reach.

Marketing FIASCO aside, I have a feeling this will be like a good Green Lantern - i.e., a film I think I want to go see, only I suspect it will be more watchable.

Honestly? That's what this really looks like. Mars Needs Moms absolutely bombs, so they're hiding it as much as possible. As others have said, it looks like aliens are invading Nevada and some generic looking dude can somehow jump really high and is really strong and will fight them.

The word "Mom's" killed MNM, not Mars.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Mars doesn't have air.

Actually it does in fact have a thin (unbreathable) atmosphere. And in certain times of day, you could probably survive with just an arctic scuba suit. You wouldn't be happy. It is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more hospitable than the moon.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
OT seems remiss not to mention the films potentially around $400 million budget by this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom