• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 7 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Jesus christ do not be eating ANYTHING during a Fulci film, especially City of the Living Dead. Absolutely revolting even after multiple viewings, he had a uh talent.

Divius

I've decided to watch the Friday the 13th series then Freddy vs. Jason as a segue into the A Nightmare on Elm Street franchise. Or should I do it the other way around? Or Freddy vs Jason at the end, after I've seen both series?

I've decided to watch the Friday the 13th series then Freddy vs. Jason as a segue into the A Nightmare on Elm Street franchise. Or should I do it the other way around? Or Freddy vs Jason at the end, after I've seen both series?

Do FvJ after both or at the minimum after you have done Nightmare. FvJ is more of a Nightmare film with Jason guest starring and the intro spoils some of the greatest hits from the Nightmare films.

Divius

Do FvJ after both or at the minimum after you have done Nightmare. FvJ is more of a Nightmare film with Jason guest starring and the intro spoils some of the greatest hits from the Nightmare films.
Great, thanks! I'm trying not to spoil myself on anything so decided to ask in here instead of going snooping by myself. I'll put it at the end then.

edit: that's already 18 days planned out, lol

Blader

Thank you gentlemen.

Another quick question. Would Shin Godzilla be considered horror or is it too much on the Sci-Fi side?

For Godzilla horror, I'd recommend either the original or Godzilla vs. Hedorah. Shin is pretty good but don't think it would really fill the need you're looking for.

Great, thanks! I'm trying not to spoil myself on anything so decided to ask in here instead of going snooping by myself. I'll put it at the end then.

edit: that's already 18 days planned out, lol

Yeah that works out much better since FvJ does act as a sequel to both. I haven't thought about it in a while, but I guess it counts at the last installments of both as well.

Busaiku

With Moviepass, I'm hoping to watch a bunch of stuff in theaters.
Gonna watch It again for this, hopefully whatever else opens doesn't suck.

gabbo

Hammered out most of my List:
  1. Night of the Living Dead '68
  2. Dawn of the Dead
  3. Day of the Dead
  4. Land of the Dead
  5. Night of the Living Dead '90
  6. Return of the Living Dead
  7. Return of the Living Dead 2 - new watch
  8. Return of the Living Dead 3 - new watch
  9. Evil Dead
  10. Evil Dead 2
  11. Army of Darkness
  12. City of the Living Dead - new watch
  13. [Rec]
  14. Quarantine
  15. [Rec]2
  16. Dead Alive
  17. Train to Busan
  18. The Horde - new watch
  19. The Dead - new watch
  20. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
  21. Annabelle - new watch/GF recommendation
  22. The Unborn - new watch/GF recommendation
  23. Lake Placid - new watch/GF recommendation
  24. Colin - new watch
  25. Let Sleeping Corpses Lie - new watch
  26. Jaws - GF recommendation
  27. Burial Ground - new watch
  28. Night of the Zombie - new watch
  29. Re-Animator
  30. It - new watch/GF recommendation
  31. Night of the Creeps

Hoping she enjoys the undead as much as I do
https://letterboxd.com/thegabbo/list/halloween-2017/

Yeah that works out much better since FvJ does at as a sequel to both. I haven't thought about it in a while, but I guess it counts at the last installments of both as well.

He could get away with seeing FVJ with only cursory knowledge of Jason. Jason is really just a guest star in a Nightmare film and used to allow the producers to keep the fx budget down since Freddy killsmare always way more elaborate then even Jason's craziest kills. FvJ is also much more steeped in the Nightmare mythology and there are plot points and references that would go over the heads of people who have not seen the Nightmare series.

Divius

Finalized my list.

#01 - Friday the 13th
#02 - Friday the 13th Part 2
#03 - Friday the 13th Part III
#04 - Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
#05 - Friday the 13th: A New Beginning
#06 - Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
#07 - Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood
#08 - Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
#09 - Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
#10 - Jason X

#11 - A Nightmare on Elm Street
#12 - A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge
#13 - A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
#14 - A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
#15 - A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child
#16 - Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
#17 - New Nightmare
#18 - Freddy vs. Jason

#19 - Final Destination
#20 - Final Destination 2
#21 - Final Destination 3
#22 - The Final Destination
#23 - Final Destination 5

#24 - Phantasm
#25 - Phantasm II
#26 - Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead
#27 - Phantasm IV: Oblivion
#28 - Phantasm: Ravager

#29 - Poltergeist
#30 - Poltergeist II: The Other Side
#31 - Poltergeist III​

Bring it on!

Finalized my list.

#01 - Friday the 13th
#02 - Friday the 13th Part 2
#03 - Friday the 13th Part III
#04 - Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
#05 - Friday the 13th: A New Beginning
#06 - Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
#07 - Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood
#08 - Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
#09 - Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
#10 - Jason X

#11 - A Nightmare on Elm Street
#12 - A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge
#13 - A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
#14 - A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
#15 - A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child
#16 - Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
#17 - New Nightmare
#18 - Freddy vs. Jason

#19 - Final Destination
#20 - Final Destination 2
#21 - Final Destination 3
#22 - The Final Destination
#23 - Final Destination 5

#24 - Phantasm
#25 - Phantasm II
#26 - Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead
#27 - Phantasm IV: Oblivion
#28 - Phantasm: Ravager

#29 - Poltergeist
#30 - Poltergeist II: The Other Side
#31 - Poltergeist III​

Bring it on!
I'd recommend watching the Never Sleep Again doc which covers all the Nightmare films with stories from the cast and crew. I also heard Crystal Lake Memories doc that cover the Friday the 13th films is good too.

Divius

If I am not totally burned out at the end of October, I'll definitely give them a go. They are on my radar. Thanks for the reminder!

gamz

I watched this for the first time the other day. There were some scenes that legitimately made me tear up, which is not something that happens very often with horror movies.

"You are right about one thing. I am a movie star"

Tears flowing....

I'd recommend watching the Never Sleep Again doc which covers all the Nightmare films with stories from the cast and crew. I also heard Crystal Lake Memories doc that cover the Friday the 13th films is good too.

The Crystal Lake Memories documentary is really, really good. It's on Shudder. I need to find the Never Sleep Again.

lordxar

Going to toss this out there. Tubi TV and Vudu both offer select movies with ads. Watching Body Bags tonight. There's mostly b shit but I was able to find a few movies on my list I won't have to rent now.

Going to toss this out there. Tubi TV and Vudu both offer select movies with ads. Watching Body Bags tonight. There's mostly b shit but I was able to find a few movies on my list I won't have to rent now.

ShoutFactoryTV has Body Bags too. I haven't watched a movie all the way though on their service yet, but I'm not seeing any ads.

They even have it with commentary if you're interested in that as well.

Edit: Oh crap, they have Shakma too. I might have to work that in somewhere!

Finalized my list.

Bring it on!

Holy shit.

Divius

The Final Girls was fun indeed. To anyone considering to check it out: do not watch the trailer, it spoils the entire thing.

I pretty much have my list. As usual, I might make some last minute substitutions. I also have a handful of titles I want to work in, but. didn't include them here. Finally, this list isn't in my watching order. I'll just pick and chose stuff as I work through the month.

First Time Views

A Dark Song
Jackals
Prevenge
Lake Bodom
Among the Living
Hounds of Love
Leatherface
Happy Death Day
The Hexecutioners
Popcorn
976-Evil
Warlock
The Slayer
Demon Wind
The Mutilator
Blood Rage
Night School
Creepozoids
The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave
The Red Queen Kills Seven Times
Night of the Werewolf
Nosferatu (1979)

Re-Watches

Raw Head Rex
Return of the Living Dead 3
Nightmare on Elm Street 2
Jason X
Salem's Lot
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
Don't Torture a Duckling
Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key
Daughters of Darkness

matt360

Can't believe the thread already made it to 7 pages before I found it. I absolutely love this thread and this time of year! I'll try to put my list together this weekend.

I've been kind of out of the loop on current horror over the past couple years. Can anyone point me to a list of good stuff that's come out since 2015?

Steamlord

Can't believe the thread already made it to 7 pages before I found it. I absolutely love this thread and this time of year! I'll try to put my list together this weekend.

I've been kind of out of the loop on current horror over the past couple years. Can anyone point me to a list of good stuff that's come out since 2015?

You definitely need to watch The Witch if you haven't already.

You need to see Never Sleep Again its amazing My favourite moment is Tuesday Knights hilarious impression of Renny Harlin perving over her in the swimsuit.

I'm watching it now, and it's really good. They're on part 3 right now, and I'm loving just how much creativity went into making Dream Masters. Also, it seemed like everyone was embarrassed by part 2.

Movies I've seen that I can recommend:
It Follows
The Witch
Krampus
The Babadook (may have been 2014, but oh well)
The Final Girls
Housebound
Bone Tomahawk
The Invitation
Green Room
The Taking of Deborah Logan
Hush
The Wailing

Movies I haven't seen but have kept my eye on or was recommended by others:

The Blackcoat's Daughter
Baskin
They Look Like People
Eyes of my Mother
Get Out
Evolution
The Devil's Candy
The Hallow
The Void
Sweet, Sweet Lonely Girl
I am the Pretty Thing that Lives in this House
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
Don't Breath
Lights Out
Raw
It Comes at Night
The Love Witch
Fear, Inc.
Under the Shadow
I am Not a Serial Killer
The Neon Demon
Train to Busan

I almost forgot about some of the bigger releases:

Crimson Peak
Ouija: Origin of Evil
The Conjuring 2 (I've seen this, it's pretty decent)
The Shallows (this was ok, kind of shits the bed at the end)
Blair Witch
The Purge movies
Annabelle: Creation
It

Edit: after typing all of that I only have one thing to say. What a time to be alive!

matt360

Movies I've seen that I can recommend:
It Follows
The Witch
Krampus
The Babadook (may have been 2014, but oh well)
The Final Girls
Housebound
Bone Tomahawk
The Invitation
Green Room
The Taking of Deborah Logan
Hush
The Wailing

Movies I haven't seen but have kept my eye on or was recommended by others:

The Blackcoat's Daughter
Baskin
They Look Like People
Eyes of my Mother
Get Out
Evolution
The Devil's Candy
The Hallow
The Void
Sweet, Sweet Lonely Girl
I am the Pretty Thing that Lives in this House
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
Don't Breath
Lights Out
Raw
It Comes at Night
The Love Witch
Fear, Inc.
Under the Shadow
I am Not a Serial Killer
The Neon Demon
Train to Busan

I almost forgot about some of the bigger releases:

Crimson Peak
Ouija: Origin of Evil
The Conjuring 2 (I've seen this, it's pretty decent)
The Shallows (this was ok, kind of shits the bed at the end)
Blair Witch
The Purge movies
Annabelle: Creation
It

Edit: after typing all of that I only have one thing to say. What a time to be alive!

PERFECT!! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

PERFECT!! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

No problem. I plan on watching a few for my marathon as well. If the horror output keeps up like it has in the past few years I'm going to have to start watching some outside of October.

I hope it keeps up.

I'm watching it now, and it's really good. They're on part 3 right now, and I'm loving just how much creativity went into making Dream Masters. Also, it seemed like everyone was embarrassed by part 2.

Dream Master is part 4 but it's pretty crazy since they were trying to rush it out in the midst of the writers strike so they had basically a very rough unfinished from the Wheat Brothers and Harlin was basically forced to write the film on the go. I didn't hurt he had basically the dream team of FX artists on the film. Kevin Yagher moved up to head the whole effects team, Howard Berger was on the Freddy makeup, Screaming Mad George did the cockroach sequence and Steve Johnson did Freddy's Chest of Souls and Death scene(complete with Johnson's girlfriend Linnea Quugleys breasts inside the Effect).

kevin1025

Banned
How many have you seen so far? I'm glad I didn't put then on my list, but I still have this gnawing urge to check them out some day..

I've watched three of the six at this point, and from what I've been reading, the fourth is the weakest one. They have some decent action, but everything around that is really tough to get through.

lordxar

I've watched three of the six at this point, and from what I've been reading, the fourth is the weakest one. They have some decent action, but everything around that is really tough to get through.

The first was the absolute best that series has to offer which is a really good b movie. The rest are worse. That said, I love the series. Probably considered a guilty pleasure lol.

kevin1025

Banned
The first was the absolute best that series has to offer which is a really good b movie. The rest are worse. That said, I love the series. Probably considered a guilty pleasure lol.

I definitely don't fault anyone for liking them, it's just watching them in a row can be a massive slog. It's funny how the movies went full action over some of the more horror type stuff in the first, kind of like where the games went.

Blader

Is The Monster Squad at all similar (tonally or in terms of characters) to Stranger Things? I'm trying to pick a movie that my girlfriend would like watching too, and I've never seen The Monster Squad but on the surface it seems similar to Strangers Things (which she loves). Or are they nothing alike?

I definitely don't fault anyone for liking them, it's just watching them in a row can be a massive slog. It's funny how the movies went full action over some of the more horror type stuff in the first, kind of like where the games went.

The RE series is a guilty pleasure of mine too. I actually did a re-watch of them all earlier this year before watching The Final Chapter.

The original is kind of dated/cheesy thanks to being a post Matrix action movie, but there's a decent horror flick in there and a surprisingly good story and twist.

The first sequel looks and feels cheap as hell, but I enjoy that one on a so-bad-it's-good level and Sienna Guillory is great.

I really liked the 3rd movie at the time and has a great look to it, but now it just seems so simple and small. I still like it though.

4 and 5 are basically just action movies with a couple of out-of-character characters form the games, but they're fun enough and there's some cool sequences. 4 can be a little slow at times which is why I guess some people think it's the weakest. I personally liked the slow bits though. It helped give it that hopeless feel and gave some time to actually have characters doing shit. 5 is almost just one big action scene.

And then we have The Final Chapter...
Which is just awful. Not only is it a slap in the face to fans of the games (which all of the sequels can be considered too), but it's a huge slap in the face to fans of the movie series. Oh god, how I hate The Final Chapter. Iain Glen is the only redeeming quality.

And Milla Jovovich is always fantastic.

Is The Monster Squad at all similar (tonally or in terms of characters) to Stranger Things? I'm trying to pick a movie that my girlfriend would like watching too, and I've never seen The Monster Squad but on the surface it seems similar to Strangers Things (which she loves). Or are they nothing alike?

I'd say so, but it's not as dark/serious and more comedy. It's great. I'd say it's somewhere in the middle between Stranger Things and The Goonies.

Top Bottom