• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

So I saw Alfie's meltdown last night. It was sad but was also glad to see him pissed. If I were the coach I would have benched him too, he played like crap, as well as Spezza and Michalek.

He just came back from a concussion, I really doubt he's 100%. The others ? Yeah they deserved it.

railGUN

Banned
So I saw Alfie's meltdown last night. It was sad but was also glad to see him pissed. If I were the coach I would have benched him too, he played like crap, as well as Spezza and Michalek.

The water bottle stomp was kind of funny (I think that's what he was stomping). Figured there was a spider on the ground or something.

Played great the 2nd half of the season, got his team into the playoffs and now into the 2nd round after beating the greatest team in the last 40 years. The fact that all the other moves worked out so well should put him over any other GM this year.

"Second half" is being rather generous. And he played horribly in 3 of 6 games.

Homer should probably get the nom but not win.

His cap management also blows. Pretty important skill for a GM.

Merguson

Banned
If Boston and New Jersey win, we'll have a match-up of NYR-NJ and BOS-PHI next round...

Sort of want.

EDIT: Forgot about the Rangers, they have to win too!

I think the top 3 GM list fine, but Carter for Coturier and Voracek is easily the best trade of the last 12 months.

Plus the Richards trade worked out amazing, the Jagr signing was great, picking up Grossman at the deadline worked out really well, and he didnt re-sign Leno that should count for something.

I think the top 3 GM list fine, but Carter for Coturier and Voracek is easily the best trade of the last 12 months.

I second that emotion!

Plus the Richards trade worked out amazing, the Jagr signing was great, picking up Grossman at the deadline worked out really well, and he didnt re-sign Leno that should count for something.

Serious question. Do you understand how the cap works? You get that we have SERIOUS cap problems in the next few years, right?

Curufinwe

Carle will be gone after this year, and Timmonen and Briere won't be around too much longer. Both should be gone by 2014-15 when Giroux and Coturier will be starting their new contracts.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Was Silfverberg any good? I only watched the third and didn't really hear his name much.

He looked pretty good early and got a lot of ice time, but he didn't have too much impact on the game. Took a penalty somewhere along the way too.

Talent was apparent, but Game 6 in the Stanley Cup Playoffs is a hell of a time to debut.

Solo

Three way trade! Luongo to MTL, Price to CHI, Crawford to VAN!

fuck-youg6umw.gif

Carle will be gone after this year, and Timmonen and Briere won't be around too much longer.

Briere has three more years at 6.5....

Carle being gone is all well and good, but we need to sign another solid defenseman at a fair price then...

Coburn and JVR are both about to get massive raises.

Voracek is going to want a major raise.

We don't get the Lappy money because we've been writing it off as LTIR.

Pronger LTIR isn't official yet. League could potentially fight back. (EDIT: On top of that. Even if it IS approved we still have to find someone to fill those minutes and the hit we get back is only 4.9 because the Pronger deal is so freaking long. Never gonna get a top 2 guy for that money.)

Shelley still makes 1.1m a year

Schenn makes 3.3 a year despite no consistent display.

Bryzgalov is signed for 5.6(!) for time in memoriam.

There are many major cap issues with the current roster.

Serious question. Do you understand how the cap works? You get that we have SERIOUS cap problems in the next few years, right?

I have no idea if they will have serious cap problems in the next few years, no one knows that in fact. Things can change, and even if they do it has nothing to do with who the best GM was this year.

Edit: JVR re-sign last year, no way does he get a new deal this year or any time soon.

I have no idea if they will have serious cap problems in the next few years, no one knows that in fact. Things can change, and even if they do it has nothing to do with who the best GM was this year.

How are they going to fix the cap problems I just listed? I'd like to hear your suggestions. I'm interested in what they could be because I just don't see any realistic way other than trading away major pieces as salary dumps.

Did you get the reason Richards and Carter were so valuable was that their contracts were very "fair" hits and took them right up through their prime but not longer? Those two guys in the cap hit range they were in were steals. They were also only locked in until the point in their careers where they would have been expected to take pay cuts due to decreased production.

EDIT: JVR already signed his extension. He gets a major raise next year with a 4.2m hit. So yeah....

Curufinwe

They'll find a way to move Briere on by the last year of his contract.

They already did sign a solid defenseman at a fair price - Grossmann. Gustafsson can replace Carle at a fraction of the price.

Coburn is not getting a massive raise. He's going from 3.2m to 4.5m.

Schenn is a 20 year old who got off to a slow start due to injuries but played great down the stretch and in the playoffs in case you missed it. He's going to be worth 3.1 million a year.

You yourself have said that the league is not going to start changing how it interprets LTIR, and they did nothing when Rathje was clearly never going to play again just a few years ago.

Shelley only has one year left and we have to assume won't be resigned.

Bryzgalov... well at least he's not signed for as long as Luongo.

They already did sign a solid defenseman at a fair price - Grossmann. Gustafsson can replace Carle at a fraction of the price.

Schenn is a 20 year old who got off to a slow start due to injuries but played great down the stretch and in the playoffs in case you missed it. He's going to be worth 3.1 million a year.

You yourself have said that the league is bot going to start changing how it interprets LTIR, and they did nothing when Rathje was clearly never going to play again just a few years ago.

I think the defense takes a serious hit with the changes you're talking about.

1 year older Timmo/Coburn
Grossman/Mez
Gus/Lilja or Manning

Yeah.... no thank you. Suter or bust. I just have no idea how....

Also the Flyers could part ways with Jagr if they have to and save $3.5m. I think they will be okay, but even if it all blows up in 3 years what does that have to do with the job Homer did this year.

Also the Flyers could part ways with Jagr if they have to and save $3.5m. I think they will be okay, but even if it all blows up in 3 years what does that have to do with the job Homer did this year.

One more. Tops. Losing Kimmo and Pronger without signing a stud D-man is going to be too much.

Unless Bryz turns into Lundqvist..... fingers crossed.

Curufinwe

Did you get the reason Richards and Carter were so valuable was that their contracts were very "fair" hits and took them right up through their prime but not longer? Those two guys in the cap hit range they were in were steals. They were also only locked in until the point in their careers where they would have been expected to take pay cuts due to decreased production.

Carter is in his (lackluster) prime right now and the Kings are on the hook for 10 more years. How can you possibly claim his contract takes him right up thru his prime but no longer when he'll be 37 when it ends?

I'd happily take JVR's contract over his unless it turns out JVR is going to be injured every year.

You yourself have said that the league is bot going to start changing how it interprets LTIR, and they did nothing when Rathje was clearly never going to play again just a few years ago.

You've got Schenn, Giroux, Courturier and Read all needing new contracts in two years. Assuming their play all stays on track til then, Flyers are going to need to throw a lot of money their way.

Giroux - $7million
Couterier - $4million
Schenn - $3-$4million
Read - $3-$4million

Not to mention Simmonds and Hartnell will both be demanding heft raises, and if the Carter and Richards trade are any indication, they'll likely all demand NTCs or NMCs. Flyers are even more fucked if cap goes down as most people are suspecting it to.

Carter is in his (lackluster) prime right now and the Kings are on the hook for 10 more years. How can you possibly claim his contract takes him right up thru his prime but no longer when he'll be 37 when it ends?

I'd happily take JVR's contract over his unless it turns out JVR is going to be injured every year.

How many people who score as many goals as Carter sign in the 5's? This year he's been injured, but his previous output suggests he'll put up 70pts a year easy. Same with Richards. Both guys play major defensive roles as well. Those kinds of players just don't sign 5 level hits.

Granted mid-30s is late, but nowhere near what the Pronger and Bryz contracts go to.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Poile has been nominated every year the GM award has existed... and he probably wont get it this year either

Top Bottom