• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VITA: Retail Musings Edition

most of the stores around here are out of vita accessories and games and low or out on vitas - its obviously doing better than retailers (or sony) expected. whether that's a high mark to achieve, i don't know

Rootbeer

Banned
It's the pricing of the games that will be a bigger issue for the Vita imo. $50 for Uncharted, Sony is fucking crazy.
I agree, Vita would move a lot more units if people could look at uncharted and feel like they were getting a good deal. But $50... come on now.

alphaNoid

Banned
Went to Gamestop today (I know I know) to buy a game for my nephew and I asked about Vita and the clerk told me they were sold out.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sony released sales data already?

There was an article about it with Jack Tetton mentioning it(Uncharted sales). Keep up with us guy.

I should bring it up again but as long as the thing doesn't get hacked, I can see it sustaining good sales in comparison to the userbase as tons of people are now buying PSP games on top of Vita games. THe ecosystem could potentially be better but with less of an install base. It needs time though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sorry, I didn't see that. When was it released?

I have to look but there was either a thread or it was in this thread earlier but Tretton did an interview saying all the games seem to be doing well but Uncharted (shockingly) is easily the best seller thus far. A little concerning considering it's the most expensive game at launch.

FOUND IT

Kusagari

I have to look but there was either a thread or it was in this thread earlier but Tretton did an interview saying all the games seem to be doing well but Uncharted (shockingly) is easily the best seller thus far. A little concerning considering it's the most expensive game at launch.

FOUND IT

Oh, I never clicked that Tretton thread and just saw the headline where he said PS4 would be distracting. Anyway, not really surprised. I mean what else really would have been the top seller?

Toki767

The Gamestop I bought mine at had about 50 preorders and 20 of them showed up for the midnight launch and 11 or 12 of them got the FEB the week before. The two Best Buys and Targets here were completely raided of Vita games. All that was left was Hot Shots Golf, Dungeon Hunter Alliance, and Little Deviants. FIFA, Uncharted, UMvC3 were all totally gone though I'm guessing it was because of the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. The stores were sold out of the Wifi units but still had maybe 10 3G units each.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I went to two Targets, a Gamestop, and a Wal-Mart on launch day. Didn't run into anyone at Target trying to take advantage of the B2G1, but there was a guy in Gamestop crouched down at the little display of fake Vita game boxes systematically reading the text on the back of each box like he had decided to buy a Vita but had done zero research on the games. I have a bad feeling that I saw him take Dungeon Hunter: Alliance to the counter.

I also noticed that Gamestop is up to their usual douchebaggery with charging over MSRP for system accessories, but I eventually had to go back and pay $35 for an 8GB card because no other store I went to that day had any and Amazon is OOS. When I find another one for $30 somewhere, would it be return fraud to return it to GS and get that extra $5 back?

I went to Wal-Mart just to look for a memory card, and when I couldn't find any Vita accessories whatsoever, I asked an employee where they were. His response: "we were supposed to put this stuff on the shelf days ago but none of us did it." I'm not kidding. To his credit, though, he did go into the stockroom to look for memory cards, but came back saying that the store hadn't received any whatsoever. There were no cards at Target either, and the shortage of cards necessary for playing most of the games is pretty baffling.

FWIW it's #5 on Amazon and the 4gb card is #8. The top 5 are: Two Xbox 12 month cards, Mass Effect 3, Payday The Heist ($5, great game too btw!), and then Vita. I can imagine a solid number of people buying off Amazon due to no sales tax which would save like 15 bucks on the console alone. I'm soooo close to pulling the trigger on this thing.

the small internal storage is disapointing + the $100 price for a 32GB mem card is nuts.

I will wait for a PSP GO type revision with bigger internal storage

I think that we need some idea of how many systems were shipped for launch to provide some proper context for these anecdotes. Indicators like "sold out" and whatnot aren't really useful for determining how well Vita did if we don't know how many were available to begin with. Furthermore, it would be useful in gauging what kind of expectations that retailers had for the Vita.

spwolf

Haha, I've been banned for asking these kinds of questions. FWIW I never understood the "retail musings" threads.

the point of retail musing threads is to have one bullshit thread where people post their anecdotal evidence which has scientifically been proven to not have any statistical value, so they would not derail real sales threads which have real stats in them :).

meaning that if Vita is sold out in the biggest gamestop in the world, it does not mean it has sold well and also if you see wall full of Vita's in Best Buy in Oregon, it also doesnt mean it hasnt sold well.

Basically this thread is about nothing.

But hey, Seinfeld was about nothing, and it was one of the best shows known to men, so it is highly entertaining and amusing to read, yet as we all understand that it wont be reflected in NPD threads.

Coins

Banned
I went to gamestop looking for a demo unit... Apparently none of the 3 gamestops in my city have any demo units and the manager said they probably won't get one for "another year" because they weren't really trying to push sales for it.

Gamestop....

True story.

I have to call bullshit on that since GameStop is doing a B2G1 sale and the quicker they can get games in your hands the quicker you'll trade them in.

Poker360

I have to call bullshit on that since GameStop is doing a B2G1 sale and the quicker they can get games in your hands the quicker you'll trade them in.

Yeah... ok.. I came in here just to make stuff up.

I didn't even see signs anywhere promoting the B2G1 sale.

Persona7

Banned
I asked the guy at a local game shop how many vitas they sold.

All of them within the first day and they are expecting more of them in two weeks.

They only got it 16 units though. They also sold out of memory cards and Rayman origins.

Kusagari

All of them within the first day and they are expecting more of them in two weeks.

They only got it 16 units though. They also sold out of memory cards and Rayman origins.

Rayman? I wonder how many copies they got.

krae_man

I can see 15 people within 2km on Near.

Lets see. 2km radius = approx 12.56km². Land area of Canada is 9,093,507km²

Number of Vita's sold in Canada:

9,093,507/12.56X15=10,912,208

OMG Sony is already over 10 million Vita's sold in Canada alone!

Local Target and Best Buy had a bunch of units on shelf still. Though when I was at Target yesterday and trying the Vita demo unit a guy walked up and bought a 3G model heh

Duxxy3

Sounds about right.

Eurocult

I've seen nobody with a Vita in public, and I ride public transportation in Chicago daily riding with a few thousand+ people on the Metra and CTA, and also still see a ton still in stores.

I saw at least 6 people with Vitas on the T yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised. (Boston)

Angry Fork

I think the device price is fair/good, it's the games that are too steep for me right now. I can't see myself spending more than 30 on a portable game. I know some of them have high production values but 50$ for Uncharted is way too much. If Uncharted and Rayman were 30$, Wipeout was 20$, something like that I would get it.

Takao

Banned

Seems legit.

Kakao bought all the Vitas.

Flunkie

Banned
I'm honestly surprised at the amount of people with one "near" me. Target and GameStop employees said that there was a "steady" amount of preorders, but not until about two weeks before release - that's when they picked up.

KingK

I think the device price is fair/good, it's the games that are too steep for me right now. I can't see myself spending more than 30 on a portable game. I know some of them have high production values but 50$ for Uncharted is way too much. If Uncharted and Rayman were 30$, Wipeout was 20$, something like that I would get it.

Yeah, I'm kinda the same way. Paying more than $30 for a handheld game just feels "wrong" for whatever reason. I know it's not really fair, considering some of them are pretty expensive to make and just as content filled as console games, but that's just kinda the way I feel.

Still, by the time I'm able to afford a Vita I'm guessing there will be a decent sized backlog of cheaper games.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous

Can't argue with solid math.

A certain site would love your help :p

But seriously these threads are normally not worth it.

For those of you that are posting numbers of Vitas sold at certain stores, like this guy

I used to work at Toys R Us and worked the launch of 360, Wii, PS3, and DS Lite. I'm just posting these for reference. I haven't even gone to a game store since Vita came out so I have no idea how it is selling.

These are the # of consoles my store got, and how the consoles sold initially

Wii - 66 Units (you should have seen the stack in our tiny ass stock room) - All sold day 1, second shipment was much smaller and came about a week later. I believe it was 24 units.
360 - I believe it was 28 units - all sold day 1 - shipments came pretty steady and sold immediately, usually 4 or 6 at a time.
PS3 - 18 units - All sold day 1.
DS Lite - I remember we got 5 boxes, I don't recall if there were 6 or 5 DS Lites per box though. I think it was 5. So probably 25 units. Sold out the second day. After that pretty much whatever we got it we would sell immediately usually 2 or 3 boxes at a time. That was when DS really picked up at our store.

Obviously all anecdotal evidence in this thread, but I thought that would give some frame of reference for those that are reporting actual units sold, and potentially some help for those sales-agers who like making predictions.

Codeblew

Can't argue with math.

Edit: Bah, Kittoo beat me.

Top Bottom