• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Previews

c51ccdc41330d50816806cb5ca6ff838.gif

PD do have me by the balls, from the beta I played it was enjoyable as fuck, nothing else has been able to step up

You whut ma...lololzzz.

The first one he's not, it's way too unstable for it to be called a locked 60fps on both machines.

Checking out the Digital foundry test again and they have it running at:

PS4 Pro - 1800p - 52-60fps / 1080p - near perfect 60fps.
PS4 - 1080p - 48-60fps.

While not locked yet, it was only a Beta and has months of development time left, so pretty sure they can tighten up that framerate before it comes out. The Star Wars Battlefront Beta ran in the 40fps range and that was a solid 60fps at launch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
With the increasing number of games using dynamic resolutions, I’d have hoped PD would do something similar to ensure a locked frame rate. I have a pro so if frame rate is really horrible I have the 'luxury' of being able to run in 1080p for a stable framerate

With the increasing number of games using dynamic resolutions, I’d have hoped PD would do something similar to ensure a locked frame rate. I have a pro so if frame rate is really horrible I have the 'luxury' of being able to run in 1080p for a stable framerate

Framerate was very solid in the beta.

From multiplayer.it-GTPlanet. Small hint- look for yellow dots.
http://images.multiplayer.it/thumbs/images/2017/07/26/gran_turismosport_20170725115033_jpeg_1400x0_q85.jpg[/IM]
[IMG]http://images.multiplayer.it/thumbs/images/2017/07/26/gran_turismosport_20170725115525_jpeg_1400x0_q85.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]
What do those yellow dots stand for?

Goldrusher

Has it been confirmed it's paid DLC?

They could still be free. I can imagine these things being up to 50 MB each. If they add just 10 new ones, that's a 500 MB update for something a lot of people won't ever use.
Makes sense to patch the game with a bunch of thumbnails and only make you download the ones you want.

Same way they handled the many documentary videos added to the previous games?

Has it been confirmed it's paid DLC?

They could still be free. I can imagine these things being up to 50 MB each. If they add just 10 new ones, that's a 500 MB update for something a lot of people won't ever use.
Makes sense to patch the game with a bunch of thumbnails and only make you download the ones you want.

Same way they handled the many documentary videos added to the previous games?

Well we have no way of knowing for sure, but do you expect they will be paid or not?
I remember GT5's cars having an icon to indicate if a car was DLC, I don't remember that being the case for GT TV.

KKwKR1p.gif

They can't charge for paint chips anymore and cars and tracks take too long to make, so it seems like they found a new dlc cashcow.

This redoing of GT5/6 cars is a big fat lie. Sony have got them prepped and lined up ready to go via DLC from week one, the same with the tracks, we've already seen the better looking Silverstone in that bonus youtube video they posted years ago, way beyond the quality of the PS3 version. Then they released the upgraded Suzuka in the PS3 version, the other tracks are ready, just look at the returning tracks in GT6 PS4, all have a similar jump in quality with old to new Suzuka in GT6 PS3.

I can't wait to see the PS4 version of Suzuka.

This rejigging of GT6 is shaping up to be the biggest money making scam in gaming history.

Audioboxer

So now they are doing DLC of things that have nothing to do with racing?

Must be free, because nobody is paying for photo scapes.

lol

PD and Sony are going to test those waters. In a gaming industry that started with horse armour and has bloated itself to lock/loot boxes (gambling) and every sort of cosmetic you can think of is $1.99-2.99 please be excited for buying 3D photos to take pictures with. Games as a service™.

I said it earlier on, while an awesome photomode is a really nice thing to play around with, it should not come at the expense of actual gameplay. Kaz's fetishizing of cars is hats off to him in the real world, but in a video game, he needs to be reminded it is firstly a video game.

Photo scapes should be a case of here's a neat addition, now let us show you everything else we've done with driving/racing/physics/cars/locations/weather and heck, even damage, before OMG PHOTO MODE! The fact that photo scapes are having to be out front in centre just shows the all over the shop focus of PD. We're not buying Discovery Channel the game or some educational interactive CDROM for schools. I accept GT has always been a car encyclopedia filled with additional information and details on cars and the racing world, absent in other games. It's partly what makes it GT, but it should never be at the expense of making one hell of a game first.

117 locations and counting for taking pictures of your car? Well, maybe some of whoever the hell was working on these should have spent more of the four years working on transferring more premium cars from GT6 and on tracks?

Guymelef

Imagine how many people could be hired to work on cars with the money spent in travels and so to take scapes photos all around the world.

I thought they would be DLC after they announced there would be 1000+ locations.

Too many places for them to have travelled to collecting data to not consider it as DLC.

So silly predictions for this game are:

1. GTSport will only sell 3-4 million
2. No one will purchase photoscapes.

Audioboxer

That is just the Italian ones ��
They said over 1000 but it's not clear if that includes these 'dlc' ones.

I mean, by the numbers that is fantastic, lots of content for those who'd rather spend hours in photo mode than playing the game. However, the salt above still applies when the overall package is lacking in other areas.

Scalpes only dlc don't make sense, probably they'll come with car packs.

While I think this will be true, I'd expect to see scapes packs as well. I don't think they'd be sold individually, more like "Italy pack #1" with maybe 5 or 6? 3 or 4? Whatever it is. I doubt they'll be sold one at a time.

offshore

No Silverstone is a good thing imo :p A dreadfully overestimated track that I never understand why it is the go-to for racing devs when including UK tracks.

As for DLC scapes... I can't get upset about it. Though it does go back to the priorities thing; how much time and how many people were spent preparing those 1000 scapes, and could those people have been better utilised elsewhere? Whoever does that job is doing God's work...

Niks

So now they are doing DLC of things that have nothing to do with racing?

Must be free, because nobody is paying for photo scapes.

Welllll.. I might buy some tbh (as long as they are reasonably priced).
I have always had a thing for photography, and I love cars, so the photography aspect that the GT series has pioneered has always interested me, so I appreciate that its there.

BUT

I agree that I would prefer PD to actually spend development time on actual gaming side of GT (cars, tracks). I also agree that having 1000 locations is overkill for this feature, that most likely most of the actual playerbase will just skim over.

Servbot24

Banned
So did PD really send a bunch of photographers on some big global trip to take all those nice photos?

Wonder how much was wasted on that.

Yes they did, how else would they have gotten the photos? It's a significant part of the game. You might as well wander into another thread and ask "Did they really hire 100 musicians for an orchestrated soundtrack? Wonder how much they wasted on that." Who cares? Make the game good.

They should have been given additional budget to increase the modeling staff. Sony has the money.

Gestault

Yes they did, how else would they have gotten the photos? It's a significant part of the game.

You're not wrong, but the more I really put together the balance of content across the whole package in my head, the more I channel [drewscanloneyes.gif]. I'm still a solid "buy," but I'm really hoping they're tracking reactions to this launch lead-up to make additions the game would clearly benefit from.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Photographers (they probably have a more dignified and diverse job title than this) are also responsible for taking hundreds to thousands of reference images for cars, from which modellers create the car models. I'm not sure if the laser scanning technique they use is portable, I assume it is (Forza's is), but for the cars that they can do that with and aren't using CAD models or photos, I presume when they head out to locations to make these scapes, they also spend time photographing and scanning rare cars nearby.

What those rare cars are? Couldn't tell you from that car roster.

So your prediction is that the first and probably the only Gran Turismo game on the PS4 will have an attach rate of about 5% (based on the current sales of the console).

giphy.gif

Faaawk this needs to come out already.

Online will be glorious!!

So your prediction is that the first and probably the only Gran Turismo game on the PS4 will have an attach rate of about 5% (based on the current sales of the console).

giphy.gif

People think this won't sell good?

LMFAO.

Amatures.

It's the first Gran Turismo on the PS4, of course it will sell pretty good considering how many PS4s are out in the wild.

However, will it review good? Eh....signs pointing to meh

coiler

The main problem is that they show DLC two months before release for a game with more or less 50 unique cars and 17 tracks.

I thought they would be DLC after they announced there would be 1000+ locations.

Too many places for them to have travelled to collecting data to not consider it as DLC.

Not so far away from my predictions:
5-7 million total sales. (GT1, GT3 and GT5 all sold more than 10 million).
Bomba to 30$ in few months.
Lots of second hand copies available.
Almost nobody buys photoscape only DLC.

For context, Gran Turismo 6 sold over 4.5 million units and released only on PS3 a month after PS4 came out.

If you somehow think this will sell less than GT6, you're way off the mark.

This is 7 million easily.

No one will buy photoscapes.

Audioboxer

Not so far away from my predictions:
5-7 million total sales. (GT1, GT3 and GT5 all sold more than 10 million).
Bomba to 30$ in few months.
Lots of second hand copies available.
Almost nobody buys photoscape only DLC.

All predictions should really start with

1) Review thread will be absolutely mental.

Probably best just to watch it, not post in it xD

Although, I think a lot of long-time GT fans are suitably preparing themselves for some scathing reviews. Rather than holding onto hope PD are actually going to impress most regular gaming journalists with this offering. Especially coming so shortly after its main competitor gets reviewed. Really, Sony should have pushed PD to get GTS out first. I know Kaz, House and Shu are like "It's GT, we're getting millions of sales, end of", but I do genuinely think reviewers are going to be that touch harder on it coming so shortly after Forza. Unless Forza somehow shits its bed, but honestly, I expect it to be an improvement over F6 which already commands an 86% MC. Lower than 3/4, but not as bad as 5 (which is basically content-similar to what GTS is doing, but it's not a launch title....).

Sebmugi

2016 ranking

Gran Turismo 10,850,000
Gran Turismo 2 9,370,000
Gran Turismo 3 A-spec 14,890,000
Gran Turismo Concept Series 1,560,000
Gran Turismo 4 Prologue 1,400,000
Gran Turismo 4 11,760,000
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue 5,350,000
Gran Turismo PSP 4,650,000
Gran Turismo 5 11,950,000
Gran Turismo 6 5,010,000

Total 76,790,000

At this point while nice review are great to have GT have become review proof .
Having good or bad reviews not going to stop this game from selling .
What would stop it from selling a huge amount is bad WOM but GT sells for years so that will also help .

jayj

Banned
For context, Gran Turismo 6 sold over 4.5 million units and released only on PS3 a month after PS4 came out.

If you somehow think this will sell less than GT6, you're way off the mark.

This is 7 million easily.

No one will buy photoscapes.

I've been a fan of racing games since I got the original GT on PS1. I've been with the series the whole time, and the even numbered games always stood out to me as being better than the odd numbered games, they just had more polish.

That said I think it's pretty obvious how GT6 really suffered from bad timing. It was released at the tail end of the PS3 gen as far as the mass market is concerned with all the attention being focused on the PS4, next gen gaming, and games like Forza 5 which was a next gen launch game for the Xbox One. Undoubtedly this made GT6 sort of lost in a sea of next gen hype, most people probably ignored it or simply forgot about it, not being interested in old PS3 games anymore.

I noticed this happening every time a new console comes out. Games that come out around the time when a new console drops never seem to do well as everyone is just sort of over the old console and investing everything in the new one. It isn't until the new console gets a little old that people go back and play some of the highlights they might have missed out on.

Top Bottom