• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

I was writing something up but this will be better:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare

You can compare 3 TVs at once so select those 2 from the drop box and then choose a third like the X800E. Try not to pay attention too much to the scores/ratings but look at the values.

thanks, it looks like the 900 series makes better pictures, but it is 200$ more right now. got more research to do before I pop back into this thread.

TheBoss1

thanks, it looks like the 900 series makes better pictures, but it is 200$ more right now. got more research to do before I pop back into this thread.

Personally, the price difference is so minor compared to the drastic difference between the 2 TVs. The only thing the Samsung has over it is somewhat better input lag. Unless you're super sensitive to lag, this should be a no brainer. The X900E is superior in every other way.

Kyoufu

Personally, the price difference is so minor compared to the drastic difference between the 2 TVs. The only thing the Samsung has over it is somewhat better input lag. Unless you're super sensitive to lag, this should be a no brainer. The X900E is superior in every other way.

Yup, big upgrade for $200. Well worth it.

TheBoss1

Also, If price is a huge concern for you, try looking at the TCL P607 (P605 on Best Buy). It is about $600-650 which is a lot cheaper than both TVs and it performs very well for it's price range. It isn't as good as the Sony either but it's not far off, especially considering the price.

If I had to choose between these 3 TVs It would go like this: X900E>P607>MU8000

im leaning towards the 900E, in addition to what you guys said, my TV stand only has a top width of 43 1/4" and the base Legs on the MU8000 rest at 43.5 ".

Way to close to the edge for my liking.

How is the input lag, is it noticeable on games like titanfall?

my current TV is this
UN55D8000YFXZA
looked up the input lag (input lag to 42 ms) on my old TV so this will be a noticeable step up

-------------

is the current price for the 900E (1,299.99) a good price?

im leaning towards the 900E, in addition to what you guys said, my TV stand only has a top width of 43 1/4" and the base Legs on the MU8000 rest at 43.5 ".

my current TV is this
UN55D8000YFXZA

-------------

Input lag is perfectly snappy at 30-34 ms and motion is great too. Low input lag means nothing if motion on your TV is poor.

Loving this thing as a gaming TV overall.

TheBoss1

I just ordered the 49" X900E on Amazon with a Sonos Playbar soundbar. I remember someone suggesting it to me not too long ago so I got it for improved sounds. In the not too distant future, I will most likely add the sub then the speakers after.

my current TV is this
UN55D8000YFXZA

-------------

Well I just ordered mine and will get it in a few days, but my current Sony TV has slightly more input lag (37 ms) than the X900E (31-34 ms). It's not noticeable to me when gaming so maybe I'm not too sensitive when it comes to lag.

And yes, that's a good price.

I'm seriously thinking about getting the 49 x900e when I have enough money if I can get it at the sale price it is now. Would a 49inch be too small to be worth it for a TV like this? (Although it would be in a small bedroom). Also I don't have a PS4 pro or X1 s so I wouldn't be able to benefit from 4k HDR gaming anytime soon.

If I get it I wouldn't get another tv for a long time. Will this set be really outdated by the time there is more 4k/ HDR content and there are new consoles out?

Kyoufu

I'm seriously thinking about getting the 49 x900e when I have enough money if I can get it at the sale price it is now. Would a 49inch be too small to be worth it for a TV like this? (Although it would be in a small bedroom). Also I don't have a PS4 pro or X1 s so I wouldn't be able to benefit from 4k HDR gaming anytime soon.

If I get it I wouldn't get another tv for a long time. Will this set be really outdated by the time there is more 4k/ HDR content and there are new consoles out?

Unless you need a TV as soon as possible, you're better off waiting for newer models when you have 4K sources to feed it with.

ascii42

The biggest upcoming improvement for gaming is HDMI 2.1 adding variable refresh rate support. Supposedly, the Xbox One X will support it. The next generation of consoles almost certainly will.

If you have a regular PS4, you'd still be able to get HDR at HD resolutions, at least.

Anybody else fed up with the insane amount of film grain on Netflix Marvel shows? Watching Defenders on my B6 and it's like why even bother filming and uploading the thing in Dolby Vision if you're gonna smear that much film grain over it.

torontoml

Anybody else fed up with the insane amount of film grain on Netflix Marvel shows? Watching Defenders on my B6 and it's like why even bother filming and uploading the thing in Dolby Vision if you're gonna smear that much film grain over it.
Yeah I found the same. Also found the Friends from College was the same, which was another Dolby Vision show.

Unless you need a TV as soon as possible, you're better off waiting for newer models when you have 4K sources to feed it with.

The biggest upcoming improvement for gaming is HDMI 2.1 adding variable refresh rate support. Supposedly, the Xbox One X will support it. The next generation of consoles almost certainly will.

If you have a regular PS4, you'd still be able to get HDR at HD resolutions, at least.
thanks for the replies. Yeah I guess I should wait. Right now I have a sony 32inch LCD from 2011 and I've been itching to get a new set but unless something happens to it I suppose I could wait. For how long though? LOL I don't know.

XenoRaven

What would you guys recommend between the Sony X800E and the LG UJ7700? Both at 55". Best Buy has a sale on both.

I'm currently using a Sony W900A. I like it but I want a 4K TV but I'm trying not to spend too much. If there are any other suggestions you guys have I'm open to those as well.

Edit: This will be used almost entirely for gaming.

What would you guys recommend between the Sony X800E and the LG UJ7700? Both at 55". Best Buy has a sale on both.

I'm currently using a Sony W900A. I like it but I want a 4K TV but I'm trying not to spend too much. If there are any other suggestions you guys have I'm open to those as well.

Edit: This will be used almost entirely for gaming.
Those tvs are downgrades coming from a w900a

Weevilone

I'd milk that W900a until HDMI 2.1 comes out. Those are great sets.

4k resolution is nice, but not a game changer IMO. HDR is amazing, but it's currently a pain in the ass sometimes, and it's going to mature. That leaves the expanded colorspace..

Even though they're 4K? Damn.

4K is not the be-all end-all!

The colours, motion and black level on your 1080p W900 will outclass the TVs you listed by a wide margin

Sit it out until this year's top sets are within your budget or save up to buy next year's mid/high-end models.

BumRush

I'd milk that W900a until HDMI 2.1 comes out. Those are great sets.

4k resolution is nice, but not a game changer IMO. HDR is amazing, but it's currently a pain in the ass sometimes, and it's going to mature. That leaves the expanded colorspace..

I think this is a really important statement.

Nabbis

Bought a LG B6 a week ago and im very happy with the tv. I was a little afraid of the input lag but i don't notice any difference between my primary gaming monitor when i tried different CS games for a few hours.

Can't imagine how some people can tell a difference unless they are very pedantic about that stuff. I can easily feel and see 60fps vs 144fps but i can't notice the input lag between 2ms and 27ms.

FLEABttn

Banned
The x930e I bought is going back. At the appropriate brightness level for my basement, the PWM flicker drivers me absolutely crazy. At higher brightness levels, it's so bright it hurts my eyes.

Given that, I'm going with an LG B6, LG C6, or x850e (which I know isn't in the same league as the prior two but I need something with no PWM and that can get dim). I've already run out of time on the B6 wrt getting it from Best Buy.

MWake

Neo Member
The x930e I bought is going back. At the appropriate brightness level for my basement, the PWM flicker drivers me absolutely crazy. At higher brightness levels, it's so bright it hurts my eyes.

Given that, I'm going with an LG B6, LG C6, or x850e (which I know isn't in the same league as the prior two but I need something with no PWM and that can get dim). I've already run out of time on the B6 wrt getting it from Best Buy.

LG B7 an option? I purchased one from BB about a week ago and love it.

ss_lemonade

Even though they're 4K? Damn.
My w900a still does an great job when compared to my Samsung ks9000. It also has that amazing Smooth Gradations setting to clean up certain sources (does the x800e even have that? I don't see it mentioned in rtings calibration page for it)

FLEABttn

Banned
LG B7 an option? I purchased one from BB about a week ago and love it.

I hear the B7A is the same panel as the C7P so it's an option, I don't need Atmos processing built into my TV.

The B6P gets less bright and that maybe would have been more ideal. Despite the general dislike of ABL, maybe that was doing my eyes a favor the entire time I had my plasma.

Weevilone

Thanks. Just ordered 3.

I'd consider it a YMMV cable, but with a good chance for success depending on length. It's not certified for the current bandwidth requirements, but a lot of people report that they work.

There's a thread on AVS where they are testing and reporting on cables for this purpose. Some have reported failure there. The certified Monoprice are a better bet, but they are rather stiff and perhaps difficult to obtain in some countries.

panty

Okay help me.

I have an 65" B6V and the aspect ratio is giving me issues when I'm using the tv as pc screen. For the moment I have it @1080p and aspect ratio is "Original".

It's fine when I'm browsing and using it BUT when I'm watching something full screen (youtube, streams, etc) the aspect ratio changes automatically and the picture bleeds over the tv corners when I switch full screen off... The tv still shows the aspect ratio as "Original" in the menus and it fixes itself when I just flick it to something other and back but why the fuck does it do that?

This is driving me insane... one of many problems ffs

I'm looking to buy a TV to take back to college with me, and my only concern is getting a TV that has a ton of input lag or something else that will interfere with my gaming sessions. I play a lot of online fps games, so every frame matters. I never considered any kind of specs when buying my old TV (Samsung UN40J5200) and it seemed fine to me, but after reading some stuff on GAF, I'm kind of worried now about messing up with my next purchase.

Basically, I just want to know which specs I should look at, and what numbers I should be aiming to see. I'm aiming for a LED 40" 1080p for roughly $500CAD. I'm guessing that I should pay attention to motion blur and [native] refresh rate? But I have no idea what numbers are good for those, and which are red flags.

Smokey

I am forgetting at the moment, and hoping someone can remind me. There's a Sony that's above price compared to the TCL, and it's around $900-1k. Anybody know what model that is?

holygeesus

Banned
I hear the B7A is the same panel as the C7P so it's an option, I don't need Atmos processing built into my TV.

The B6P gets less bright and that maybe would have been more ideal. Despite the general dislike of ABL, maybe that was doing my eyes a favor the entire time I had my plasma.

The B6 is actually technically brighter than the C/B7 for HDR but the newer sets offer a more accurate image in terms of tone mapping, but they lose a little of the 'punch' of the 6-range.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Anyone want to help a guy living in Japan out? I need an affordable 4K HDR screen. Could I possibly use a monitor instead? My apartment is tiny, so I don't need a big TV.

BumRush

2 weeks since the Spears and Munsil calibration and goddamn...if you are just "winging it" with your 1080P set, do yourself a favor and grab a disc for $30.

2 weeks since the Spears and Munsil calibration and goddamn...if you are just "winging it" with your 1080P set, do yourself a favor and grab a disc for $30.

Is this an HDR blu ray?

I have the original spears and munsil disc from yearrrrrs ago, wondering if there's an updated HDR version

I'm going for the Sony 900E this weekend but my only fear is missing the Dolby Vision option that's available in the 930E.

I see the new Chromecast will use it...will I regret this decision in a few months/years? I don't plan on buying a new TV for the foreseeable future.

Top Bottom