• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats with the lack of gender/race diversity in the Marvel vs Capcom Infinite Roster?

Q8D3vil

Here's a good reason: literally no one cares about him lol
people ask for diversity then dont want one of the most iconic black character in MCU.
DC is having the same problem anyway, otherwise they wouldnt be pushing cyborg so hard in everything from Justice league to Injustice.

Furyous

If this becomes a big deal and enough push is made then the roster is hopefully updated:

Miles Morales
Ms Marvel
Sakura
Spider-Gwen or Silk
Agent Venom
Kaine
Sean

I heard a rumor they can't use X-Men characters but even then plenty of options still exist.

A Sean x Miles teamup would be nice.

It's probably an issue of needing to get the game out but this infinity stones angles gives them to leeway to pull from anywhere if they need to.

Neoxon

The Capcom and Marvel universes themselves aren't that diverse, especially when Capcom is restricted to MCU characters. I don't think Infinite is at fault.
Capcom is hella diverse, & the MCU isn't that restricted in female representation. Both sides fucked up. And if the female representation parity rule is an actual thing, then Marvel majorly fucked in in that regard.

PSqueak

Banned
The Capcom and Marvel universes themselves aren't that diverse, especially when Capcom is restricted to MCU characters. I don't think Infinite is at fault.

What are you talking about?

Just street fighter is pretty damn diverse, i mean the very concept of the game was "a tournament with fighters from all over the world", the quality of representation ranges from good to questionable, but there is tons of diversity.

And the Marvel universe has become much more diverse during, like, the last 3 decades, sure the most mainstream known characters are white, but any self respecting comicbook fan could fill the marvel roster with really good diverse characters.

Even without Scarlet Witch (;_;), the MCU doesn't exactly have a shortage of females. Plus there's popular comic book characters like Ms. Marvel & Songbird to choose from.

I mean, who else is there aside from Black Widow, Scarlet Witch and Captain Marvel? I'd call that a shortage considering the number of films they have released at this point. Yes, Peggy Carter is great but she's not a superhero. And Marvel barely acknowledges the tv / Netflix stuff.

Saying Marvel forced some pairity in females between sides is one of the most idiotic theories I've heard.

The truth is more likely that, like a lot of things in the roster, they just didn't think about it at all.

AAK

Personally, Ryu is the biggest disappointment for getting a character slot. Such a boring design from a gameplay perspective considering the volume of characters at Capcom's disposal.

killatopak

I don't know maybe they just went with the most popular ones(and good to market)?

I mean look at it it's avengers vs capcom.

I-hate-u

They had the perfect oppurtiunity to be progressive to add Rashid and Ms. Marvel, both are popular and prominent characters in their franchises.

But nooooo let's put the likes of Morrigan and Firerat instead

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My guess would be that:

1. This was presumably one of the first games that Marvel signed as part of their console game revival, so they likely put less restrictions and worked less closely with Capcom than their other partners. If you look at the line-up of Spider-Man or LEGO Marvel 2, or even more recent mobile game updates, you will notice a very different approach to this type of thing than Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite has.
  2. Most of the characters in the game are reused from the previous game, including taking their models and trying to update them. As most of the women in that game on the Marvel side were X-Men, they didn't have a lot of others to pull in. I'm not sure there were a lot of non-X-Men minorities in MvC3 either, but I can't remember that as well. I'm not sure diversity is really a thing that's on the mind of most Japanese developers, so they probably didn't think much about it for the Capcom side.
  3. Between the above two factors, no one stepped in and went "Actually this is bad." until it was way too late. It did stick out to me that the EVO livestream demo for Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite featured three of the four women in the game, so I suspect they realize they messed up there. They probably would have tried doing that with race as well, except they didn't have anyone to actually put in there except Chun-Li (which they did) and Ryu (which they didn't, but the fourth character was the new character unveil). Marvel's response has been to try to avoid talking about the game as much as possible, only making positive statements or mentioning it in passing, while focusing all their direct marketing efforts on Spider-Man and LEGO Marvel on the console front.

PSqueak

Banned
Personally, Ryu is the biggest disappointment for getting a character slot. Such a boring design from a gameplay perspective considering the volume of characters at Capcom's disposal.

An MVC without Ryu?

Next you're gonna be asking for a Smash Bros. Game without Mario!

Neoxon

Ryu has perfect attendance (same for Chun). Capcom isn't gonna leave him out if they can help it (like I'm sure Wolverine would have stayed if Marvel weren't dicks about the Fox characters).

Minyobi

Actually for some of the more bizarre capcom choices I wonder if Story Mode was actually the reason characters like Nemesis and Firebrand got in. The devs needed more villains that were just mooks for the heroes to fight.

We all know why Spencer got back in. Combofiend loved the character and fought for him to be back in. I wish they'd taken the Rad Spencer as his default look though. At least then he'd be a call back to Capcom's legacy instead of the generic dreads dude from that forgotten reboot.

I was going to say that it looks like the Capcom side was selected via putting the UMvC 3 cast on a dart board and taking blindfolded throws, but you have a point.

They had the perfect oppurtiunity to be progressive to add Rashid and Ms. Marvel, both are popular and prominent characters in their franchises.

But nooooo let's put the likes of Morrigan and Firerat instead

Yep. Both Rashid and Ms. Marvel seemed like guarantees when this game first got announce, then the rest happened.

The whole leadup to launch has been so weird. Still can't believe at one point they put out "Magneto is just a function"

I suspect it's an issue they're going to fix in the laziest way possible by DLC skins, specifically for the Marvel characters where you can play alternate versions of the characters.

Neoxon

My guess would be that:

1. This was presumably one of the first games that Marvel signed as part of their console game revival, so they likely put less restrictions and worked less closely with Capcom than their other partners. If you look at the line-up of Spider-Man or LEGO Marvel 2, or even more recent mobile game updates, you will notice a very different approach to this type of thing than Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite has.
  2. Most of the characters in the game are reused from the previous game, including taking their models and trying to update them. As most of the women in that game on the Marvel side were X-Men, they didn't have a lot of others to pull in. I'm not sure there were a lot of non-X-Men minorities in MvC3 either, but I can't remember that as well. I'm not sure diversity is really a thing that's on the mind of most Japanese developers, so they probably didn't think much about it for the Capcom side.
  3. Between the above two factors, no one stepped in and went "Actually this is bad." until it was way too late. It did stick out to me that the EVO livestream demo for Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite featured three of the four women in the game, so I suspect they realize they messed up there. They probably would have tried doing that with race as well, except they didn't have anyone to actually put in there except Chun-Li (which they did) and Ryu (which they didn't, but the fourth character was the new character unveil). Marvel's response has been to try to avoid talking about the game as much as possible, only making positive statements or mentioning it in passing, while focusing all their direct marketing efforts on Spider-Man and LEGO Marvel on the console front.
Wasn't Marvel touting that they've been more hands-on with MvCI than previous MvC games? Plus it's not like Marvel's completely ignoring the game. Their YouTube page still does videos on it beyond trailer releases.

Trish (and Vergil) are infinitely more recognizable than spencer or firebrand.

Like how the fuck does Ghosts and Goblins get 2 characters to DMC's 1.

I'm glad Spencer is in over Vergil. I hate when crossovers give multiple reps to a popular series instead of including a character from a series that has yet to be represented.

PSqueak

Banned
Yep. Both Rashid and Ms. Marvel seemed like guarantees when this game first got announce, then the rest happened.

Here's hoping for DLC or season 2.

I'm glad Spencer is in over Vergil. I hate when crossovers give multiple reps to a popular series instead of including a character from a series that has yet to be represented.

Same, absolutely hated DMC having 3 reps, and Spencer was incredibly fun to play, one of my mains and im glad he is back. Also glad G&G is getting 2 reps.

We could have done without Nemesis tho.

DR2K

Banned
It's the worst Marvel vs Capcom roster and 2nd worst vs roster(MSHvSF). It's so bad that it doesn't even make sense.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wasn't Marvel touting that they've been more hands-on with MvCI than previous MvC games? Plus it's not like Marvel's completely ignoring the game. Their YouTube page still does videos on it beyond trailer releases.

Yeah, but I feel they're very specifically trying to keep anyone like Bill Roseman or Jay Ong from having to answer questions on the game, because they know exactly what they're going to be asked.

They want to support the product, but they also clearly realize it's not in sync with their messaging.

I suspect the 2018 DLC package will look very different than the current game's roster, and they'll be more willing to be direct with the Marvel Games staff at that point.

Maybe it has nothing to do with diversity and all capcoms budget?

Let's take a look here,

rehash characters :

Strider
Zero
arthur
dead rising camera dude
rocket
DR.Strange
hawk eye?
Chris
spiderman
dante
nemesis
ryu
ironman
nova
spencer
chun li
morrigan
hulk
thor
hagar
cap
dormamu
ghostrider
red demon dude

semi New original characters:

mega man x
Thanos
jedah

Brand new characters
gamorra
marvel girl
ultron

I dunno man, the game had so much potential.
I'm so over this game already- I'll buy it one day when is mega discounted,
unless they shock me with Gene from god hand or Leon from RE4 I'll bite.

Alienous

What are you talking about?

Just street fighter is pretty damn diverse, i mean the very concept of the game was "a tournament with fighters from all over the world", the quality of representation ranges from good to questionable, but there is tons of diversity.

And the Marvel universe has become much more diverse during, like, the last 3 decades, sure the most mainstream known characters are white, but any self respecting comicbook fan could fill the marvel roster with really good diverse characters.

But you can't just take characters from Street Fighter. There's Megaman, Resident Evil, Bionic Commando, Ghosts'n Goblins, Strider, Devil May Cry. When spots are limited, and you have that many franchises to represent, you're trying to represent a franchise in a character - it's probably going to be the lead, the 'A list'. And they will, more often than not, be male.

On Marvel's side there's clearly an MCU focus, and they aren't the most diverse bunch of characters. They don't have access to the X-Men (Pheonix, Storm). I don't know if it was a financial decision, or a Marvel mandate, but the MCU focus means the newer, more diverse characters are absent.

So I can understand how those factors can lead to a lack of diversity in the roster.

butman

This is the saddest character select screen I've seen in my life

This. It look like it was made from a free 3D asset.

This is a great one:

pOCFe7m.png

dan2026

95% of Marvels best female characters are X-men....

Also how the fuck does Firebrand keep getting into these games.
He's just a generic enemy from GnG.
There must be a hundred characters more interesting and suitable.

Village

Asset Reuse and restrictions.

That's it.

With out the Xmen or the potential of the fantastic 4 you lost a lot of women and at least 1 person of color

And with asset reuse you lost potential for like a hispanic Ghost rider, or any alternate versions of characters who might be different like totally awesome hulk. Who is korean.

So yeah

Money and Corporate politics.

Malyse

If this becomes a big deal and enough push is made then the roster is hopefully updated:

Miles Morales
Ms Marvel
Sakura
Spider-Gwen or Silk
Agent Venom
Kaine
Sean

I heard a rumor they can't use X-Men characters but even then plenty of options still exist.

A Sean x Miles teamup would be nice.

It's probably an issue of needing to get the game out but this infinity stones angles gives them to leeway to pull from anywhere if they need to.

That's an evil choice.

i-Jest

More races huh? We do need more Kree and Shi'ar empire characters. Can we please get Thanos's Black Order too?

Neoxon

Yeah, but I feel they're very specifically trying to keep anyone like Bill Roseman or Jay Ong from having to answer questions on the game, because they know exactly what they're going to be asked.

They want to support the product, but they also clearly realize it's not in sync with their messaging.

I suspect the 2018 DLC package will look very different than the current game's roster, and they'll be more willing to be direct with the Marvel Games staff at that point.
You also mentioned Lego Marvel 2, but its base roster was also hit by the Fox ban.

dan2026

How you go from the highest highs of mvc3 to this is just baffling.
It's almost like watching Mugen characters fight on Saltybet.

Mesoian

Marvel's female roster of notable characters are generally tied up in the Xmen, and Marvel is staunch in not wanting to support xmen while they don't retain move and merchandising licensing for them.

And, unfortunately, Marvel doesn't care about She Hulk because there's no easy money to be made off her outside of her book, which isn't being well pushed, and Capcom doesn't care about Hsein-Ko at all because Darkstalkers is dead and Morrigan and Jedah are there for representation.

It's a bad roster.

Top Bottom