• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Is there a reason that in the Steam Store, it doesn't say I own Painkiller: Black Edition and offer the "Play Now" option? It's not that I ever start a game that way, but it's nice to know for a quick way to check if I own a game as my library increases on this account.

- 85% off the Commandos Collection ($1.94 or $0.59 per game)

I can not recommend these games enough. Whenever someone talks about the best stealth games things like Thief, Splinter Cell, Mark Of Ninja, Tenchu, even some odd ones like Amnesia: The Dark Descent. pop up, but far and above all of them in mind are the Commandos series.
Aye they are top down or isometric, but that in no way takes away from the key aspect of properly planning (or being quite lucky and barrelling through), while using surroundings and items to best dispatch, distract, or fully sneak past enemies and sometimes wildlife while completing a series of missions during war time.

While somewhat dated in user interface, still fully practical and and one will get used to them and have plenty of tactical options to take advantage of quickly and easily once they get used to it if they only know modern game interfaces.
Some effort may be required to get it work on modern systems (Vista and above) depending on the set-up, but can be done with plenty of guides online to help you should you require to alter anything.

If you don't want all the games, just one to try out one, I recommend Commandos 2 - Men Of Courage to try out. It's $0.59 USD, worth the risk at least.

Thinking of picking up Wizorb and Foul Play.

Anyone have any quick thoughts on those two games?

Wizorb is the best RPG using a Arkanoid/Breakout game as a RPG battle that I have ever played. It's also the only one, but it manages to keep me entertain on both sides of that even if it's a bit short, silly, and never too challenging beyond perhaps some odd stages with unlucky bounces and some forced grinding.
I fully enjoyed it on Xbox 360 as a game to play every now and then when I needed a break from playing a longer game, say Assassin's Creed 2, and that's all it was there for while still providing enough I wanted to keep at it for it's basic story and RPG upgrading.

I have no memory of what I paid for it, but it was rather cheap and it was worth it.

Garcia

I can not recommend these games enough. Whenever someone talks about the best stealth games things like Thief, Splinter Cell, Mark Of Ninja, Tenchu, even some odd ones like Amnesia: The Dark Descent. pop up, but far and above all of them in mind are the Commandos series.

Wizorb is the best RPG using a Arkanoid/Breakout game as a RPG battle that I have ever played. It's also the only one, but it manages to keep me entertain on both sides of that even if it's a bit short, silly, and never too challenging beyond perhaps some odd stages with unlucky bounces and some forced grinding.

Man, I was just about to ask you guys if the Commandos were worth the purchase and you totally convinced now. Also, I'll buy Wizorb. Thanks for your quick reviews.

Annubis

Late to the party because of lunch.

I got into a fight with a robot toilet in Japan years ago after a night of solid drinking.

I was trying to throw up into it, I must of leaned on some button and it sprayed water in my face. It surprised me so much that I instinctively punched it which caused the seat to fall down and crush my other hand.

Fucking Japanese toilets.

Man Puncher
Toilet Puncher
(Today, 12:33 PM)

eh.

I'd prefer some roaming patrols every now and then. Now that all the outposts on the first island are clear, the whole thing is pretty desolate. Other than some animals that are basically LMG fodder, there isn't much to shoot.

I get that it wouldn't make much sense from a story aspect, but it makes the game play pretty boring after everyone is dead.
Pretty much. Having a completely empty island was just as bad as having enemies that came back the moment you looked away and back again. It just seemed like an extreme response to FC2's criticism, but not the right one.

Lain

Spent time playing Gravi to unlock the achievements for the 0.45£ from Playfire and I hated every second of it.
I despise the way this game controls. I started off playing with a controller but I switched to kb/m because it didn't feel right, but things didn't improve too much for me. Aiming was faster with the mouse but other than that I felt like I was wrestling with the controls the whole time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
hmm seems like Thief unlock later in Singapore? :/

Yeah, some Asian countries missed out unfortunately. SG in particular doesn't even have an unlock date. :(

That is... a very interesting Saoirse avatar. >.>

Mmm, food. The interview it was taken for is behind a paywall, sadly. :( If I could just pay 1 pound or whatever to unlock that specific article, I would.

toddhunter will be back in a few weeks, is busy with stuff.

He could've used "Back soon" rather than "Bye". ;)

JaseC

Did the Splinter Cell games drop to 75% off thus weekend?

Every Tom Clancy Game did. Except EndWar.

Edit: I've sold my Thief-themed Dota 2 item set for $6.70 ($5.86) and made $3.69 from the Gunpoint and Rome 2 TF2 items I'd forgotten about. Not a bad haul! The Thief-themed TF2 items aren't marketable just yet but the Dota 2 set alone vindicated my decision to purchase the DDE through Steam rather than GMG.

_hekk05

Banned
Yeah, some Asian countries missed out unfortunately. SG in particular doesn't even have an unlock date. :(

Mmm, food. The interview it was taken for is behind a paywall, sadly. :( If I could just pay 1 pound or whatever to unlock that specific article, I would.

He could've used "Back soon" rather than "Bye". ;)

Lol take it from a Singaporean. Don't bother checking our store. We pay US prices, follow asian region lock and release dates most of the time, and only sell games in english. I don't think steam actually recognises the singapore dollar.

You really might as well use a vpn to check the US store

Zafir

I swear I checked on my phone and it said Thief unlocked tomorrow, come home to find out that it unlocks Friday. Bah.

Don't really care enough to VPN it.

Alien8

Aye they are top down or isometric, but that in no way takes away from the key aspect of properly planning (or being quite lucky and barrelling through), while using surroundings and items to best dispatch, distract, or fully sneak past enemies and sometimes wildlife while completing a series of missions during war time.

While somewhat dated in user interface, still fully practical and and one will get used to them and have plenty of tactical options to take advantage of quickly and easily once they get used to it if they only know modern game interfaces.
Some effort may be required to get it work on modern systems (Vista and above) depending on the set-up, but can be done with plenty of guides online to help you should you require to alter anything.

If you don't want all the games, just one to try out one, I recommend Commandos 2 - Men Of Courage to try out. It's $0.59 USD, worth the risk at least.

I agree 100% with your opinion. I'll just add that Commandos series, although easy to grasp the gameplay, are quite difficulty games (exasperating, sometimes), but worth to give a chance. Hell, I even got to finish Commandos 2 on the OG Xbox. I had in my fingers the agility of a pianist at that time.

Guys,

WTF happens in Dear Esther? Like, I think theres a story about an accident and infidelity and a man coping with it by turning into the world's most articulate seagull but im not sure just how wrong I am.

JaseC

Next Steam sale then!

Spring right? Just around the corner!

There's no Spring Sale, however last year Valve did hold an Indie Sale in March.

Oh look, the since-removed Child's Play pack for only $1.19. JaseC is gonna be pissed (unless he was able to already sell his copies)

Deep Silver also didn't take it down from Amazon, the buggers. I've been waiting for Valve to add refund functionality to unsent gifts, as the phrasing on the first page of the refund process so states, however this hasn't happened yet. I might as well just submit a ticket and remove the items from my scalping spreadsheet.

Yeah...is that a thumb?

pfpijgth_mqzpjo7.jpg

mrgone

Guys,

WTF happens in Dear Esther? Like, I think theres a story about an accident and infidelity and a man coping with it by turning into the world's most articulate seagull but im not sure just how wrong I am.

From what I gathered after I played through it last year no one really knows for sure as it's quite vague and there are some random elements to it. I think it's just meant to be interpreted, and that no matter how you interpret it you kind of feel worse afterwards than you did before.

Too expensive.

Even after Blood 2?

Turfster

Thanks for filling in, JaseC.

In other news, the games for the next Indieroyale bundle, the pancake bundle, aren't known, but it's coming.
Edit: Derp, I thought those looked familiar.

Also, people that think the RPS review for Thi4f is flattering need to reread it ;)
Apart from the first line, he basically spends the next couple of thousand words destroying the game.

Might try streaming a playthrough of Dark Souls soon, I've never played the game before and I want people to experience my demise.

Loaded it up for laughs, and it looks like this:
Looks like I'll need to reinstall DSfix. :lol

mrgone

God fucking damnit, IndieGala apparently sold out of the Interstellar bundle, with like 6 days left on the clock. Awesome, that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom