• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 4 (PS3) -- Not a 6.7GB Install + 2GB Save

LCfiner

I wasn't really fazed at the mandatory PS3 install. It looks like Namco could have done that to reduce loading times between matches... But to require a hard drive on the 360... To shut out all the core and arcade users?

KER-RAZY! @_@

And it's just a fighter. I don't get it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
i have one question and one question only that i wish that someone some knowledge answers:

can these installs be optional but the devs decide to make it mandatory (cuz they're asses) or are they necessary for the game to run period?

PhatSaqs

Banned
LCfiner said:
I wasn't really fazed at the mandatory PS3 install. It looks like Namco could have done that to reduce loading times between matches... But to require a hard drive on the 360... To shut out all the core and arcade users?

KER-RAZY! @_@

And it's just a fighter. I don't get it.
Yeah all 5 of them...

I'd love to hear Namco give an explanation tho.

gcubed

omg rite said:
So where are the apologists to say "STOP WHINING, JUST DELETE SOME STUFF, IT WON'T BE AN ISSUE" this time?

not here because its not worth there time because its most likely a mistake?

That 2 gig save file better be the max number allowed not required, since I don't give a shit about character customization.

Also:

AAK said:
ndgame.jpg

PLEASE TEACH EVERYONE HOW IT'S DONE AT GDC!!!

THIS. These mandatory installs are getting fucking ridiculous.

LCfiner

PhatSaqs said:
Yeah all 5 of them...

I'd love to hear Namco give an explanation tho.

it's more than 5. Probably, say, an even dozen. Regardless of the numbers, it's still pretty surprising.

I still want to hear what's the word on the PS3 install. I imagine a mandatory 4 or 5 GB install, sue to the limit mandated by Sony. I don't buy the 2 GB save file at all.

Steroyd

What happened to the 5GB install limit.

a)This is bullshit.

or

b)Konami patch MGS4 for a single 9GB install so I don't have to install every Act. :mad:

gcubed

Kirk said:
No big deal. That's one of the reasons it has a hard drive.

i love my ps3 and i have a 160gb hard drive in it, but shit, i would understand people flipping out if this were real, almost 9gig for a single game ?

no way does the save take 2 gigs.

and hopefully they're wrong about the install because this shit is getting ridiculous.

6.7gbs is whoa wtf you're crazy man.

I will believe this when I see it. The 2GB save file is obviously fake. I have a hard time believing the save file could be 2.5 times the size of Warhawk. The 6.7 GB doesnt seem real either. How could Soul Calibur of all games take up that much space. If true though, holy cow!

sinnergy

Gamecocks625 said:
What is the freaking point of Bluray if GBs upon GBs have to be stored on the harddrive? :lol

In theory you could even install more on the HDD, BD can hold 50 gigs, that could be made of highly compressed data. Who knows, they could even install 80 gigs and more! :lol

Joke!

And the point is, you can have better quality rendered vids in games, and 7.1 loss less sound..

Steroyd

Riskbreaker23 said:
if this is true for both systems, namco needs to delay the game another month or so and figure out another solution

A long ass loading time every fight? Can't stream shit for a fighting game.

@ Gamecock

Data on harddrive >>>>>>> Optical media

koam

How the hell does a game that doesn't use FMV even reach 6.7GB in size? They need to hire optimizers asap. There's absolutely no excuse for the huge install or the huge save file. There's no way in hell i'm going to install this shit especially since there will probably be a 5GB patch to download after a couple of days.

Screw you for ruining the Soul Calbur series.

MGrant

Uh. That install is bigger than my steam install of Call of Duty 4. And Bioshock. And all of my Civilization 4 content. And Half-Life 2 plus both its Episodes.

no bueno.

RpgN

Kirk said:
No big deal. That's one of the reasons it has a hard drive.

Oh STFU! This is some serious shit here! The next thing we get 20gb worth of install on new releases. I was interested in SCIV, but if this is true then HELL NO!

Some developer/sony worker reading this, please stop this madness! We must complain and unite with xbox fans as well to stop this. 2gb on a save file?! NOOOOOO!!!

*Stops rant, takes a deep breath*

NOOOOO!!!

Gotta be a typo. 2MB is a relatively large save file, but it's atleast imaginable. 2GB is about 1000 times that size. Thats just crazy talk. That would make the SAVE FILE over twice as big as sins of a solar empire. A PC game that came out THIS YEAR. Does not compute.

BigBoss

I hope this is true because that means Sony is allowing developers to install more than 5 gigs which means Konami can patch MGS4 to get rid of the installs before every act.

Doc Evils

RpgN said:
Oh STFU! This is some serious shit here! The next thing we get 20gb worth of install on new releases. I was interested in SCIV, but if this is true then HELL NO!

Some developer/sony worker reading this, please stop this madness! We must complain and unite with xbox fans as well to stop this. 2gb on a save file?! NOOOOOO!!!

*Stops rant, takes a deep breath*

NOOOOO!!!

FF13 will have a 1 Terabyte install.

Wow almost 9 gigs. This is nuts. If Tekken is like this I wont be able to have both games on my ps3 hd at the same time. I hope this information is wrong.

RpgN

Kuroyume said:
Can't wait to see what FF13 will require...

Don't make me cry ;( It's an exclusive game, right? So they can learn from ND and co. to run the game well...I hope :(

FF13 will have a 1 Terabyte install.

I'm speechless :(

Tieno

The only way this'd be sensible if I could boot the game from the HDD, otherwise it's ridiculous, especially for a fighting game.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Even if the save is a misprint, that install alone is still inexcusably large for a fighting game. I don't care how advanced your physics algorithms and AI routines are, you still only have to load two characters and one stage at a time.

To conclude, lol namco

Mets39

BigBoss said:
I hope this is true because that means Sony is allowing developers to install more than 5 gigs which means Konami can patch MGS4 to get rid of the installs before every act.

Dammit, i want this to be true now!

TheOddOne

Gamecocks625 said:
What is the freaking point of Bluray if GBs upon GBs have to be stored on the harddrive? :lol

Well played,well played my good sir!

But this is ridiculous, i taught Capcom had the limit with 5 GB but damn...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
hahahahaha

The DMC4 install truly was the beginning of a slippery slope! All the naysayers are crying now aren't they? And there never was a 5gb limit because the GT5 demo install is over 5gb!

Arsenic

Metalmurphy said:
Some save games also store a video/sound for the preview. It's probably the case here.

Pretty stupid imo. Simple picture is more then enough.
yes, but again, so does MGS4 and tons of other games

Top Bottom