• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Veitsev

Shouldn't do. Even in game mode it does it automatically. If it hasn't then HDR isn't enabled

My KS8000 only changes settings automatically when in movie mode (had two profiles). Enabling game mode requires me to alter settings like backlight and color space manually if I want different settings for non-HDR content.

Hjod

Banned
My KS8000 only changes settings automatically when in movie mode (had two profiles). Enabling game mode requires me to alter settings like backlight and color space manually if I want different settings for non-HDR content.

Same here, I just turn the back light and contrast up. Samsung should be able to fix that I guess, maybe we should send some emails to them.

Veitsev

Same here, I just turn the back light and contrast up. Samsung should be able to fix that I guess, maybe we should send some emails to them.

I am not picky about input lag so I am leaving it in movie mode. Makes using the device too annoying otherwise. Like I was playing uncharted and wanted to check a hockey game real quick and of course it looks god awful at 20 backlight and native color space. Hopefully Samsung fixes this in a firmware update for people that really notice input lag.

Hjod

Banned
I am not picky about input lag so I am leaving it in movie mode. Makes using the device too annoying otherwise. Like I was playing uncharted and wanted to check a hockey game real quick and of course it looks god awful at 20 backlight and native color space. Hopefully Samsung fixes this in a firmware update for people that really notice input lag.

I agree, I only turn game mode on when I play BF1 or TF2 multiplayer haha. And I haven't received my Pro yet.

But they should be able to fix it, I'm gonna send off an email to Samsung and see what they say.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
im not sure if this was posted yet.

according to rtings.com the samungs model numbers are different in us and europe

the ks8000 US is the ks7000 in EU
the 8000 series in EU is the 9000 series in US

Code:
US	UK	Europe	Argentina	Australia
KS8000	KS7000	KS70**	KS7000	KS8000/KS8005
KS8500	KS7500	KS75**	KS7500	KS8500
KS9000	KS8000	KS80**	KS9000	KS9000/KS9005
KS9500	KS9000	KS90**	-	KS9500

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000

Hjod

Banned
I just got an email from Samsung regarding HDR switching on automatically when in game mode, and according to their support it should be switching on HDR even when in game mode.

I will see if this works when I have my pro hooked up.

I agree, I only turn game mode on when I play BF1 or TF2 multiplayer haha. And I haven't received my Pro yet.

But they should be able to fix it, I'm gonna send off an email to Samsung and see what they say.

Game Mode should really be it's own picture mode option not buried under another picture option. Not sure why they did it that way. Should be:
Standard
Dynamic
Movie
Game

Instead of
Standard -> Game
Dynamic -> Game
Movie -> Game

tommyguns

I just got an email from Samsung regarding HDR switching on automatically when in game mode, and according to their support it should be switching on HDR even when in game mode.

I will see if this works when I have my pro hooked up.

Well they aren't technically wrong. It DOES turn on HDR if the source fed to it is HDR. However, in game mode, it doesn't alter the backlight and automatically turn the backlight up.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Game Mode should really be it's own picture mode option not buried under another picture option. Not sure why they did it that way. Should be:
Standard
Dynamic
Movie
Game

Instead of
Standard -> Game
Dynamic -> Game
Movie -> Game

Yep. Currenlty it's super annoying having to constantly change settings back and forth. Or at least it should remember HDR settings when you're in game mode. Either way, needs to be addressed.

dcx4610

Standard
Dynamic
Movie
Game

Instead of
Standard -> Game
Dynamic -> Game
Movie -> Game

Exactly. This is my first modern TV without a game preset. I like different settings for my movies and games and having to manually go in and switch game mode off and on before changing presets is silly. I wonder if there is a way to request the feature?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is the Pro upscaling non-patched games, or is it the KS8000?

It's showing a res bump on everthing, even non-patched content. I'm confused.

jeffram

USKS8000 here and no issues with my set up.

Step 1: special viewing mode to Game
Step 2: turn on UHD colour

PS4 pro worked flawlessly in 4K HDR

Hjod

Banned
Well they aren't technically wrong. It DOES turn on HDR if the source fed to it is HDR. However, in game mode, it doesn't alter the backlight and automatically turn the backlight up.

Yeah you're right haha, I'll e-mail them agian haha.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Is the Pro upscaling non-patched games, or is it the KS8000?

It's showing a res bump on everthing, even non-patched content. I'm confused.

The PS4 Pro is outputting 3840x2160 for everything regardless of whether it's patched, same as One S.

Ok, can someone just clarify if this is all ok?

Model: 49KS7000 (8000 in the US)
PS4 Pro
Resolution: 3840 x 2160 - 60Hz
Colour Format: RGB
HDR on Your TV: 2K / 4K Supported
HDCP: 2.2

On the TV itself, I have HDMI UHD Color set to On for all the HDMI ports (Does it matter if its on or off, will it make a difference on any of the other HDMI ports bar the one the PS4 Pro is on?)

And on the PS4 Pro video settings I have it seto to Automatic for everything.

I know I need to fiddle with the settings to get to my personal preference, but I'm hoping the information above is all correct before I move on to calibrate it.

Quoting again in case anyone can confirm and I have a new query below:

Anyone know why it is, when I turn the PS4 on, it switches the HDMI over to it without asking.
I cant find an option on the TV to turn off (HDMI CEC is turned off) and on the PS4 the option called HDMI Link is turned off.

Not a deal breaker, just kind of annoying.

Deku Tree

I just went into BB and they were pushing the Sony 850 really hard over the Samsung 8000.

If you care about input lag is the Sony 850 a contender?

MaxBill1908

Neo Member
I have the PS4 pro setup up to the TV. If I watch HDR content via amazon prime the TV will automatically switch settings. If I start a game like TLOU or uncharted the TV will say it's now playing in HDR, but it does not automatically change settings like brightness to 20, I have to do it manually. Is there a way to automate it like with amazon prime?

Genei_Jin

Neo Member
So I got HDR working at it's pretty nice on my KS8000. Do I have to change the backlight setting Everytime I switch from HDR to standard? Or is there a solution? For example when I hit the PS button in the middle of playing infamous first light (In HDR), the standard picture is blinding, especially in a dark room.

In gaming mode btw

tommyguns

USKS8000 here and no issues with my set up.

Step 1: special viewing mode to Game
Step 2: turn on UHD colour

PS4 pro worked flawlessly in 4K HDR

same TV and no problems here either. (Except the backlight doesn't automatically change when in HDR, but I don't count that s a problem. more like s light inconvenience.)

In the UK with the curved UE55KS7500 and no issues with the PS4 Pro. All set up on the PS4 to Automatic and Uncharted 4 and Infamous Second Son both start up with HDR. Very good PQ.
Unlike my PC and Shadow Warrior 2 which looks all washed out in HDR. I'm wondering if the 1080 actually does HDR. The settings are right - 4:2:0, 12bpc, limited range but washed out PQ. Don't get it.

b0bbyJ03

For those playing in HDR, that are 100% sure their settings are correct, how do you feel about it? does it add a lot to the experience?

LastNac

As someone who owns a KS8500 is it safe to say that all the recommended settings for the KS8000 will easily carry over? Only difference being a curved screen.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
For those playing in HDR, that are 100% sure their settings are correct, how do you feel about it? does it add a lot to the experience?
I haven't played a whole lot of PS4 games with HDR, but it's absolutely stunning in Gears of War 4 (and to a slightly lesser extent, Forza 3). I didn't particularly love the art style in that game, but it made my jaw drop on numerous occasions because of the lighting effects that were amped up thanks to HDR.

_woLf

I wish there was a way to have multiple distinct profiles for each HDMI input.

I want to be able to easily change a ton of settings based on whether I'm playing HDR content or not. D:

As someone who owns a KS8500 is it safe to say that all the recommended settings for the KS8000 will easily carry over? Only difference being a curved screen.
Yeah, I believe there are no technical differences between a 8000 and 8500, just the curved screen. There is however always a chance you could get a screen that is slightly sub par. For example my KS7500 (the same as a US KS8500) does have some obvious clouding issues whilst others with the same TV may not.

bodine1231

Game mode with HDR is definately not working with the Pro. Here are two shots of the Final Fantasy demo. The first is in Movie mode with HDR and the second is with Game Mode activated,same exact PQ settings. Look how the sun blooms in Movie mode and then when Game Mode is enabled it becomes a clearly defined circle.

Movie - HDR

Movie - Game Mode - HDR

BTW, I need help with something.

I have a problem with this TV. When I set the HDMI Audio Format to Bitstream, there's a very noticeable delay! even on TV speakers, so it's not my soundbar's problem.
I tried lowering the delay to 0 but it's still there! PCM works fine but no 5.1 on that.

Now I'm going optical straight from the console to the soundbar but I have 2 consoles and it's annoying to switch cables.

Can someone test the audio delay when setting the TV's HDMI Audio Format to Bistream and passthrough 5.1 DD audio from PS4? Please!

Quoting myself.

Can someone help me out?

DjRalford

Game mode with HDR is definately not working with the Pro. Here are two shots of the Final Fantasy demo. The first is in Movie mode with HDR and the second is with Game Mode activated,same exact PQ settings. Look how the sun blooms in Movie mode and then when Game Mode is enabled it becomes a clearly defined circle.

Movie - HDR

Movie - Game Mode - HDR

Did you manually change backlight etc in game mode?

Also doesn't movie mode have a lot more post processing going on that can affect the image?

bodine1231

Also doesn't movie mode have a lot more post processing going on that can affect the image?

Every setting is the same between the two. There is an obvious difference in range and PQ when I enable game mode,its not using HDR.

VertPin

From my understanding, you need to change the backlight to the highest setting and turn off dynamic display to native. Dynamic mode has a lot of weird processing effects.

I just went into BB and they were pushing the Sony 850 really hard over the Samsung 8000.

If you care about input lag is the Sony 850 a contender?

Dude. WTF?!

I went to pick up a KS8000 at BestBuy yesterday and immediately posted about the rep pushing the Sony 850 on me.

DON'T BITE.

Doesn't offer HDR for gaming comparable to that of the KS8000.

They're trying to up their numbers for Sony TVs for whatever reason. Fuck 'em.

Clutchman

Neo Member
Make sure you guys all have HDMI UHD Color switched to on, depending which HDMI slot the PS4Pro is using. It is located in the settings/picture/expert settings section of the TV. HDR should automatically enable while in game mode depending the game you are playing of course. I have everything set to automatic and I have yet to run into any issues.

As others stated, my Game Mode HDR settings don't automatically change, or vice versa when I go back to non-HDR. Only got to mess with this a little bit last night as my pro was still restoring. Will test more later tonight after date night.

bodine1231

If you updated your firmware don't forget to set your Native Color to Auto (not Native) in HDR (or any setting really). Setting it to Native for HDR and Auto on non HDR was a bug that has been fixed in the latest firmware.

"Fed the correct signal and with [Colour Space] set to “Auto” or “Custom“, the Samsung KS9500 tracked Rec.2020 colour space standard as accurately as its native gamut allowed"

Post 3052

lt519

I'm so confused, turning off HDR actaully makes Infamous Second Son look better, I have to be doing something wrong here. I have that UHD setting turned on, Warm 2, Backlight 20, etc. Things just look washed out. It is in Game Mode and all I do is turn on/off the UHD thing and turning it on makes things look darker/washed out. Sometimes I can't even tell a difference.

My PS4 is reporting YUV422 and HDR in 2k/4k when I turn on that UHD setting.

Should I set the game settings to Max Brightness?

Edit: Ok, holy shit disabled HDR rendering IN GAME and the difference is astonishing. I'm not sure turning the setting on/off on my TV is doing a whole lot. But turning it on/off in the game makes a world of a difference. I notice when I turn it off in the game the brightness is way up (albiet same in game brightness setting) so I guess my real question is, what the hell are you supposed to set IN GAME VIDEO SETTINGS to?

Clutchman

Neo Member
As others stated, my Game Mode HDR settings don't automatically change, or vice versa when I go back to non-HDR. Only got to mess with this a little bit last night as my pro was still restoring. Will test more later tonight after date night.

May I ask which game you were trying to play and the picture settings on your TV? Sorry if you answered already but did you change UHD HDMI Color to On? Do you get a notification saying an HDR moving is playing while watching Netflix through the TV app?

I'm so confused, turning off HDR actaully makes Infamous Second Son look better, I have to be doing something wrong here. I have that UHD setting turned on, Warm 2, Backlight 20, etc. Things just look washed out. It is in Game Mode and all I do is turn on/off the UHD thing and turning it on makes things look darker/washed out. Sometimes I can't even tell a difference.

My PS4 is reporting YUV422 and HDR in 2k/4k when I turn on that UHD setting.

Should I set the game settings to Max Brightness?

Edit: Ok, holy shit disabled HDR rendering IN GAME and the difference is astonishing. I'm not sure turning the setting on/off on my TV is doing a whole lot. But turning it on/off in the game makes a world of a difference. I notice when I turn it off in the game the brightness is way up (albiet same in game brightness setting) so I guess my real question is, what the hell are you supposed to set IN GAME VIDEO SETTINGS to?

Glad its not just me - but I have a JS9000 - Infamous is as dark as hell in HDR - worst title of the lot so far.

lt519

Glad its not just me - but I have a JS9000 - Infamous is as dark as hell in HDR - worst title of the lot so far.

Yeah, I mean the 4K is super impressive, I'm sitting like 4 feet from a 60" screen and it looks amazing. But the HDR is questionable so far in the two games I've played. Things aren't popping unless I jack up Dynamic Contrast.

I can see and understand the difference between the HDR and non-HDR. HDR clearly has a much larger range, but I'm not sure the games were really using the whole range. I dunno, going to throw Titanfall 2 in and check it out. I wanted to try Infamous first since I already knew what it looked like pre-HDR.

Top Bottom