• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

firehawk12

Subete no aware
HMV Yonge and Dundas is closing next Saturday it seems. They're down to 70% off.

Also so many weebs in Toronto... basically have to line up over an hour in advance to get a good seat in an anime screening. Such a change from the empty theaters of Guelph. lol

Sch1sm

HMV Yonge and Dundas is closing next Saturday it seems. They're down to 70% off.

Also so many weebs in Toronto... basically have to line up over an hour in advance to get a good seat in an anime screening. Such a change from the empty theaters of Guelph. lol

Thanks for that. Gonna take a trip there in the next few days to see if I can grab any blu rays I've got my eye on, on the cheap.

dluu13

My friends in Vancouver went to something and they happened to sit behind a group of teenagers that made lots of noise during all the fanservice shots.

I knew something was wrong when Sword Art Online or whatever was still listed week after week after week, every time I checked movies at Y&D. And I'm like, who's watching this?

So I checked the listings earlier this week for Your Name and yup that shit was already sold out all weekend haha. (I could see the dub but nah.)

Quick

Banned
My friends and I are planning on watching Your Name sometime in the next couple of weeks. It'll still be in theatres by at least the end of the month right? Or is it a limited run?

etrain911

So question: How generally well-regarded is the University of Toronto or its ischool? I have about a week to decide between going there and going to University of Michigan and it is a pretty even race at the moment, so I thought I would ask local Torontoites.

gabbo

dluu13

Depending on how reliable you feel this is:
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/education/article143080554.html
extremely well regarded

Unless you're going for football, then go elsewhere
Haha even then, the two schools in question are ranked side by side. In the end those rankings are made by an aggregate score of some sort. Specific programs will vary.

On top of that, the ranking seems to be for research, so it depends on what kind of program it is, whether it's course based or a research thesis.

I'd say come to Toronto to be part of gaf's best community.

soultron

Banned
So question: How generally well-regarded is the University of Toronto or its ischool? I have about a week to decide between going there and going to University of Michigan and it is a pretty even race at the moment, so I thought I would ask local Torontoites.
What program/major are you studying?

Mr.Towel

My friends and I are planning on watching Your Name sometime in the next couple of weeks. It'll still be in theatres by at least the end of the month right? Or is it a limited run?

Shin Godzilla, the last movie funimation put out here, was in theatres for a few weeks. Hopefully it's the same, I got my tickets for your name early but they still seemed to go fast.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My friends in Vancouver went to something and they happened to sit behind a group of teenagers that made lots of noise during all the fanservice shots.
That either sounds fun or horrid. lol

I knew something was wrong when Sword Art Online or whatever was still listed week after week after week, every time I checked movies at Y&D. And I'm like, who's watching this?

So I checked the listings earlier this week for Your Name and yup that shit was already sold out all weekend haha. (I could see the dub but nah.)
Yeah. It's crazy - it's the first time I've seen a giant line up to go into an individual theatre an hour in advance in a long time.

GuP and Sailor Moon were well attended, but not completely full... that's the type of crowd I expected. But then again, those are older films that everyone has seen already, so all the hardcores probably pirated them already. lol

I believe it's a fairly limited run - Cineplex only lists screenings up to next Thursday.

If you are crazy and have time, I know that Guelph has a screening on the 26th (I was looking it up for someone there).

Yeah, you should be comparing programs rather than schools. Everything is interchangeable except the professors that you will want to hook up with for either research opportunities or reference letters.

etrain911

I'm going to be getting a masters of science in information. Particularly HCI/UX design. I visited and loved everyone I met. Not only that but they offer a dual program with sexual diversity studies (I'm a psych and women's studies double major). I got into UMSI as well which is one of the best programs in the US, so I'm trying to make a decision, but only having an American perspective, I don't know much about Toronto's reputation.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm going to be getting a masters of science in information. Particularly HCI/UX design. I visited and loved everyone I met. Not only that but they offer a dual program with sexual diversity studies (I'm a psych and women's studies double major). I got into UMSI as well which is one of the best programs in the US, so I'm trying to make a decision, but only having an American perspective, I don't know much about Toronto's reputation.
Oh wow, we may be classmates. lol Although I'm going for LIS and ISD myself, assuming I accept the offer.

I applied in part because I know someone who worked for the department for a while and said it's the best IS program in Canada (there are only 6 schools with an MI program in Canada apparently, so there's that to think about). But I also heard that, at least at the time, their support for graduates left something to be desired and that a lot of the reasons people would want to go to the program - namely the job fairs and co-op opportunities - were spearheaded by students rather than by faculty.

The UofT "name", for whatever that's worth, is probably the most recognizable Canadian name. It's why the MBA and Law Schools can charge 30-40k a year and people will pay, even though York University is literally right up the road and charges half the tuition for equivalent degrees.

jstripes

Banned
Will the Leafs make the playoffs tonight? Or will they fuck up spectacularly as is their wont?

It's the most regarded school in Canada.

Also, the campus is in the heart of Toronto, so you get to experience the lifestyle that comes along with that.

etrain911

Oh wow, we may be classmates. lol Although I'm going for LIS and ISD myself, assuming I accept the offer.

I applied in part because I know someone who worked for the department for a while and said it's the best IS program in Canada (there are only 6 schools with an MI program in Canada apparently, so there's that to think about). But I also heard that, at least at the time, their support for graduates left something to be desired and that a lot of the reasons people would want to go to the program - namely the job fairs and co-op opportunities - were spearheaded by students rather than by faculty.

The UofT "name", for whatever that's worth, is probably the most recognizable Canadian name. It's why the MBA and Law Schools can charge 30-40k a year and people will pay, even though York University is literally right up the road and charges half the tuition for equivalent degrees.

I was just wondering how that would translate to the American job market. Do you know anything about their reputation for support for their grads now? Their employment report had a pretty high employment rate, but ISD, HCI, etc. have a huge demand at the moment.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was just wondering how that would translate to the American job market. Do you know anything about their reputation for support for their grads now? Their employment report had a pretty high employment rate, but ISD, HCI, etc. have a huge demand at the moment.
I don't really know much about the American market, but I have to imagine UofT is recognized as a good school down there by big companies anyway. It's hard because it's not like there is necessarily an "ivy league" system here where you can just point to a school as "top tier", but if you actually want the ALA accreditation (for some reason I still think librarian might be an okay job option for me despite the lack of jobs and the highly competitive nature lol), then Toronto is probably the most well-known program of the various MI programs in Canada.

My understanding is that the support for grads is better now, after people complained the years before. A couple of people on reddit talked about the faculty having regular professionalization seminars and speakers from companies in the city, so there's that.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Congrats to the Leafs for making it into the playoffs in a league where over half the teams make it in. Hooray..
And yet this is the first time they made the playoffs in a full season since the implementation of a salary cap after the 2004-5 lockout.

yyzjohn

Banned
Congrats to the Leafs for making it into the playoffs in a league where over half the teams make it in. Hooray..

That's rather mean. This represents a start of a good era (we hope). The amount of rookies that have excelled this season lends hope for the future. A few changes on defense and hopefully it's upward and onward.

Pf6UIW5.jpg

With two simple purchases, my gaming setup is complete for the next five years. Feels good.

Good stuff!

So how are you going to install that 1070 into the Switch?

lol

It's funny. I don't miss owning an Xbox since every single game is also on Windows but once and a while I miss having a PlayStation for a few exclusives like Persona or Last Guardian. But I heard they are bringing PS4 games to PS Now so I guess I can use my PC for those as well!

gabbo

What's this sticker you are talking about? And how much it cost?

edit: It seems like there's two options for me. $4 cash or token + $0.50.
I must have been mistaken, but id have sworn i read up on that once upon a time. Pay extra for a stick thats meant to indicate youve covered the extra fare.

You found actual facts though, so ignore me.

Hey guys. I'm a broke University student, and other than my school's gym (I go to UTSC), does anyone know a good Gym in Scarborough that's cheap and has a good amount of weights? (I'm trying to tone up).

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Anyone know a good hairdresser/barber shop I can go to while I'm visiting? Something <30 for a cut would be preferred. Nothing fancy, just a cut.

soultron

Banned
Anyone know a good hairdresser/barber shop I can go to while I'm visiting? Something <30 for a cut would be preferred. Nothing fancy, just a cut.

If you want to splash out for an extra couple bucks, I'd recommend The Crow's Nest in Kensington Market. I've been going there for 5-ish years now and I love it. Just remember to book an appointment. (Can book appointments online through their site.)

Top Bottom