• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I work at NeoGAF for a living..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
SADJZrG.jpg

"So...Mr. Birdie, it says here on your resume you post anime threads.

Please. Tell me about that."

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Has someone ever confronted your hobby and told you for example, "You should work for Wizards of the Coast" just because you were good at something? As a fan there's that level where someone suspects you're either beyond your years or they suspect you want a job in that field. I don't have a problem with that idea of "wow you like it", but my problem is when they assume your dedication is to be the person running the enterprise. For a lot of us places like GAF are backbones for being a fan. These places aren't always life support because its all based on how life interprets whats going on. You're not always guaranteed to find people who like you, want to talk to you, or mend things on a personal level. I find its great to be the observer. It's great to know that you aren't in control of everything for once. Owning and understanding a part of that would be amazing, so there's no discredit there. I guess the only reason I bring this up is because creativity has become profitable in many ways in the last couple of years. There's a large majority of people out there who aren't computer smart or they don't have any creative talent at all. My own enlightenment has made me come to respect the people that run such operations, but I'm also not going to worry if my dream job never opens up either.

Numb

Has someone ever confronted your hobby and told you for example, "You should work for Wizards of the Coast" just because you were good at something? As a fan there's that level where someone suspects you're either beyond your years or they suspect you want a job in that field. I don't have a problem with that idea of "wow you like it", but my problem is when they assume your dedication is to be the person running the enterprise. For a lot of us places like GAF are backbones for being a fan. These places aren't always life support because its all based on how life interprets whats going on. You're not always guaranteed to find people who like you, want to talk to you, or mend things on a personal level. I find its great to be the observer. It's great to know that you aren't in control of everything for once. Owning and understanding a part of that would be amazing, so there's no discredit there. I guess the only reason I bring this up is because creativity has become profitable in many ways in the last couple of years. There's a large majority of people out there who aren't computer smart or they don't have any creative talent at all. My own enlightenment has made me come to respect the people that run such operations, but I'm also not going to worry if my dream job never opens up either.
But running things is better.

Keikaku

Being a NeoGAF mod is one of those things that I always think sounds cooler than it probably is. I do have to commend the mod team as a whole for being really on top of things and very responsive; this place feels like a well-oiled machine of civil discourse.

It points to a comment thread about terrisus' banning on the NeoGAF Facebook group, but since it's a closed group I don't think you can access the linked page unless you're a member of the group and logged in.

There are meta GAFs outside of GAF.
This is so true. The Facebook NeoGAF group was too much drama for me and I barely ever posted on there. It felt like there was always at least one or two banned Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo fanboys on there talking about how awesome their respective consoles are, people complaining about bans, commiserations about the Nazi Mods of NeoGAF and how much better all the "other sites" where banned former gaffers are were and on and on and on

And whatever you do, don't respond to any comment on there that is started by or commented on by a female. I did it twice and my updates pinged for 2-3 days each time. I just ended up quitting the whole circus a little while ago.

Numb

So you say.

Being boss is really rough, especially when you have to make the tough decisions.

Your are the boss for a reason in the first place.
Not having to answer to anyone is a good thing and it is not tough all the time. There are good times too. Depends on whether you want to be loved and forgotten or hated but remembered.

Brakke

Banned

I have a friend like this except now he works at Wizards of the Coast.

<.<

Step your game up.

Being a NeoGAF mod is one of those things that I always think sounds cooler than it probably is. I do have to commend the mod team as a whole for being really on top of things and very responsive; this place feels like a well-oiled machine of civil discourse.

This is so true. The Facebook NeoGAF group was too much drama for me and I barely ever posted on there. It felt like there was always at least one or two banned Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo fanboys on there talking about how awesome their respective consoles are, people complaining about bans, commiserations about the Nazi Mods of NeoGAF and how much better all the "other sites" where banned former gaffers are were and on and on and on

And whatever you do, don't respond to any comment on there that is started by or commented on by a female. I did it twice and my updates pinged for 2-3 days each time. I just ended up quitting the whole circus a little while ago.
keikaku.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
But running things is better.

A big part of that is jealousy and envy. How much of that passion is because your jealous? Am I jealous of game designers and industry personnel because they did it before me? It's kind of strange looking at it like that, but you're surrounded by a lot of successful people on GAF. There's no way not to be jealous.

I have a friend like this except now he works at Wizards of the Coast.

<.<

Step your game up.

Indeed. You can do anything you put your mind to.

Numb

A big part of that is jealousy and envy. How much of that passion is because your jealous? Am I jealous of game designers and industry personnel because they did it before me? It's kind of strange looking at it like that, but you're surrounded by a lot of successful people on GAF. There's no way not to be jealous.
No jealousy or envy here. Just not watching my back and doing whatever i feel like is freeing.That is what being the boss gives you unless you abuse it or are dumb. Those people that did things first did not just stumble on it one day, they have been working hard on it for a long time before the success ever happened but people only choose to see the result. Being impressed with their hard work iand congratulating and thanking the advancements they made is a better response that being jealous.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
No jealousy or envy here. Just not watching my back and doing whatever i feel like is freeing.That is what being the boss gives you unless you abuse it or are dumb. Those people that did things first did not just stumble on it one day, they have been working hard on it for a long time before the success ever happened but people only choose to see the result. Being impressed with their hard work iand congratulating and thanking the advancements they made is a better response that being jealous.

I guess part of life is thinking in abstract. I do agree that congratulating and thanking the men and women that help make the industry and the community what is is the right thing to do. If not for them none of us would have come together at all and I am not trying to speak out of line here. I have a negative approach at times. I think through negatives to get to a positive. It's not always how I feel, so don't think that I don't understand where you're coming from. There are many pillars put in place that define a culture. Not everyone has the same traits and some do not contribute as much as others. That's a strong and brilliant definition of GAF, "neutral ground". It's a neutral engagement for everyone under "careful moderation".

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Every time all the mods get up in a thread I get real excited that it's a tag-fishing thread. But I just realized I've already been tagged twice, once to "Junior Member" and then once to "Member" and I figure it's probably best I don't go fishin', my track record with tags ain't so hot...

Lol

Pretty sure neogaf doesn't work on a pay to win mechanic.

I dunno about you bud, I've got some good mileage out of GAF Gold, especially during E3 outages.

That's three people now that I've noticed got tagged when their total post count was in the ~6000-7000 range.

First was John Kowalski, then EskimoJoe, now you...

I think I've found the T-spot.

Keep playing the slots man, it'll be your time someday.
Just don't lose too much money.

At 10,000 posts members should be auto tagged something stupid.

"Found everywhere, won't go away"
"10000 posts of nothing to note"
"Puts the noise in signal-to-noise"

Edit: nothing to see here

Numb

I guess part of life is thinking in abstract. I do agree that congratulating and thanking the men and women that help make the industry and the community what is is the right thing to do. If not for them none of us would have come together at all and I am not trying to speak out of line here. I have a negative approach at times. I think through negatives to get to a positive. It's not always how I feel, so don't think that I don't understand where you're coming from. There are many pillars put in place that define a culture. Not everyone has the same traits and some do not contribute as much as others. That's a strong and brilliant definition of GAF, "neutral ground". It's a neutral engagement for everyone under "careful moderation".

You have given it more thought than i would have. I just gave my general thought process.
It depends on you how much effort you put in and your contribution to the community decides how much of a pillar you become and thus getting recognized for it.Recognizing effort is very easy. I just joined because the Tekken OT impressed the shit out of me and there were a 1-2 community threads that caught my eye and i wanted to hang out with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom