• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #209 (Christmas) scores: Dragonage?

LCfiner

newsflash: Edge writers aren't the greatest WRPG fans on the planet.

so, concerning that Bayonetta score. was it a 10 because it's so over the top and ridiculous or was it a 10 because it does something completely new and cool with the nearly 10 year old DMC formula?

Nothing I've seen of that game in motion looks that interesting. what do they say about it?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm sure the slowdowns in Bayonetta works like the ones in DMC4 (yes there were tons in the forest-parts). You could still dial up the combos as you would at 60fps and the moves will come out eventually in slow-motion.

Yoboman

I don't think I could be more depressed about the PS3 version of Bayonetta. Why did this game have to be so good yet the PS3 version so bad?????

Oh and that Dragon Age review is insanely wrong

bayonettaWHAT?.gif

Bayonotta must be biggest surprise of 2010, hopefully PS3 version doesn't suck major balls. And rest of the scores weren't surprising at all, really.

syllogism

Edge has great features and good writers who are at the same time mostly terrible reviewers. I used to give them the benefit of the doubt due to their solid writing and the fact they actually use their whole scoring scale, but there's just too much evidence they simply don't have a clue how to review certain types of games. It doesn't help they give high scores to games that are, comparatively, trash or mediocre (bayonetta, halo etc.). Basically edge likes two or three genres with some nintendo games thrown in.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
GrotesqueBeauty said:
But a 6 from Edge is really good dood. It's like getting a 9 from most other sites. And a 10 from Edge is like a 15 anywhere else!
Rainbows are streaming out of my eyes.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
But a 6 from Edge is really good dood. It's like getting a 9 from most other sites. And a 10 from Edge is like a 15 anywhere else!

Nah, it goes;

5 - average
6 - above average
7 - good
8 - great
9 - awesome
10 - moneyhats

There have been the same number of 10/10's in the past 3 years than there were during the entire first 12 years of Edge's publication.

GrotesqueBeauty said:

The game that receives a 10 from Edge transcends perfection and becomes something godly!

Btw some of the scores of old games you guys are quoting are from the previous Edge where a 7 was actually reserved for a very good games. Do not compare them with this farce of an Edge that gives random racing games 8s and 9s. Let's not confuse things here.

Monocle

Hot damn at Bayonetta. Guess that Famitsu score might not have been an anomaly after all. I know the game is amazing from playing the demo—I just didn't expect reviewers to recognize and acknowledge that to the extent they have.

Witchfinder General said:
Youch, for Dragon Age.

A 10 for Bayonetta? Edge filled with sexually frustrated otakus confirmed?
Or maybe they know a good action game when they play one?

syllogism said:
Edge has great features and good writers who are at the same time mostly terrible reviewers. I used to give them the benefit of the doubt due to their solid writing and the fact they actually use their whole scoring scale, but there's just too much evidence they simply don't have a clue how to review certain types of games. It doesn't help they give high scores to games that are, comparatively, trash or mediocre (bayonetta, halo etc.). Basically edge likes two or three genres with some nintendo games thrown in.
:lol

Really? No, I mean really?

:lol :lol :lol

Drek

Pug said:
5 in EDGE means its an average game. Simples.
No, 5 in Edge typically means "hey, this game has a ton of hype but we're going to choose it as our shit on target so we can look, well, edgy."

They like to chose RPGs, probably because their reviewers don't much care for RPGs. But if you can't review any genre objectively then you really suck at reviewing games, period. Which Edge does because they can't.

Hell, I'm not even a huge Bioware fan. I've been unimpressed by their games the last several years and I haven't played Dragon Age yet, so its not like I'm defending Dragon Age or Bioware in particular. But its pretty crazy how many people are shocked by this score in this thread. Its a perfect encapsulation of Edge's MO.

So is giving Bayonetta a 10. A lot of gamers don't have any stomach for that kind of game, Edge's reviewers are quite big fans of it though and its not exactly a mainstream title casuals are amped for, so Edge gives it a 10.

Basically, Edge:
1171417111334.jpg

Bootaaay said:
There have been the same number of 10/10's in the past 3 years than there were during the entire first 12 years of Edge's publication.
Sounds like another publication that gets posted on GAF regularly. And both of them seem to like Bayonetta. I'm sensing something here...

Bayonetta actually looks pretty awesome imo, I really do hope no moneyhats have been involved.

Stink

Bootaaay said:

and there is an editorial to explain why

Hydrargyrus

It's what occurs when you make a magazine after of taking a dose of heroin

I hope that, at least, they were spending a good moment while they were writing it...

Corto

Yoboman said:
I don't think I could be more depressed about the PS3 version of Bayonetta. Why did this game have to be so good yet the PS3 version so bad?????

Oh and that Dragon Age review is insanely wrong

I'm not yet depressed but still nervous... and hopeful that Sega will do something à la Ghostbusters The Video Game to up a little the PS3 version before the western launch... But even if that doesn't happen I think I will enjoy the game, I liked the demo.

And the score of Dragon Age is a disgrace, but I will wait until I get the magazine and read the review text to comment further...

Haunted

Aaron said:
Seen? You haven't even played a demo yet? You probably shouldn't be calling it out just yet then, especially when everyone whose played it significantly has nothing but praise for it... at least the 360 version.
Well yeah, I'll obviously withhold further judgement until I've played the game for myself. :)

And again, as I said, I'm a big Kamiya fan and the game looks super fun. But an EDGE 10... well, it used to really mean something. Like, masterpiece. The game of a generation.

Nirolak said:
Diablo - 7
Diablo II - 6
30j5nis.gif

Huggers

Stink said:
and there is an editorial to explain why

Sadly I think 90% of people in this thread have likely never read Edge for any length of time. A 5 for Dragon Age is not shocking at all. What it boils down to is, their opinion doesn't match Gafs opinion therefore it is wrong/they have an agenda

I've been browsing through one of these a couple of days ago and I'm thinking about getting a subscription. Problem is, I'm not from the UK. Or the US. What are my alternatives on getting a subscription (given that I'm from the Netherlands)?

Dragon Age earned its score.

As enjoyable as it was, the game was all over the place in difficulty, acting and dialogue.

It's the worst of Bioware's games.
Not counting Sonic RPG.

ksan

The Hug Dog said:
Sadly I think 90% of people in this thread have likely never read Edge for any length of time. A 5 for Dragon Age is not shocking at all. What it boils down to is, their opinion doesn't match Gafs opinion therefore it is wrong/they have an agenda

Sorry, but I think most believe it's a complete bullshit score, sure you could call subjectivity or whatever you want.
However it's as right as me giving Halo a 2 cause I think there were way better PC fps games so I turned it off after 5 minutes, though the graphics weren't as shitty as I was used to in console games so that's +1.
You shouldn't let someone that hates a particular genre to review a game, it's just ridiculous and gives you bad rep.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Let's do action series:

Halo - 10/10
Halo 2 - 9/10
Halo 3 - 10/10
Halo ODST - 9/10
Gears of War - 8/10
Gears of War 2 - 9/10
Grand Theft Auto - 8/10
Grand Theft Auto 2 - 8/10
GTA III - 8/10
GTA Vice City - 8/10
GTA San Andreas - 9/10
GTA IV - 10/10
Uncharted - 8/10
Uncharted 2 - 9/10
Devil May Cry - 8/10
Devil May Cry 2 - 6/10
Devil May Cry 3 - 8/10
Devil May Cry 4 - 8/10
Ninja Gaiden - 9/10
Ninja Gaiden II - 8/10
Metal Gear Solid - 9/10
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 8/10
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 8/10
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 8/10

Zone of the Enders 2 - 4/10

syllogism

The Hug Dog said:
You'd have a point if they didn't consistently give the best games of the genre scores that are outright wrong and indicate their reviewers simply dislike the whole genre.

Pug

Edge magazine explains its scoring process in each issue, hell its been posted on here enough times. see below.

1=1
2=2
3=3
4=4
5=5
6=6
7=7
8=8
9=9
10=10.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
EviLore said:
Let's do action series:

Halo - 10/10
Halo 2 - 9/10
Halo 3 - 10/10
Halo ODST - 9/10
Gears of War - 8/10
Gears of War 2 - 9/10
Grand Theft Auto - 8/10
Grand Theft Auto 2 - 8/10
GTA III - 8/10
GTA Vice City - 8/10
GTA San Andreas - 9/10
GTA IV - 10/10
Uncharted - 8/10
Uncharted 2 - 9/10
Devil May Cry - 8/10
Devil May Cry 2 - 6/10
Devil May Cry 3 - 8/10
Devil May Cry 4 - 8/10
Ninja Gaiden - 9/10
Ninja Gaiden II - 8/10
Metal Gear Solid - 9/10
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 8/10
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 8/10
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 8/10

Zone of the Enders 2 - 4/10

What's your point dude? Some bias towards action games? You name some of the most famous and respected series in the genre, but that's hardly all the action games we get. For each good one there's a whole bunch of really crappy ones. Not saying that I agree with all those scores though.

Top Bottom