• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor offers Ultra texture optional download, recommends 6GB VRAM @ 1080p

Smokey

Also for people freaking out: Go look at the actual requirements for the game. They're pretty modest. Heck it asks for a 660 for recommended GPU. You might not be able to run with the Ultra pack but most people with a gaming PC will be fine.

max bruh or not at all

Korezo

I have a feeling that this is going to be the case more and more often as we move forward into the generation. It really brings to light just how stingy Nvidia is being with video memory on its newest cards.

I guess Amds new market will be affordable 5-8gb vram cards now.. This is ridiculous.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Yay... back to playing PC games on Medium-Low
i7qIFjIqBsPDd.gif

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Iwannaseethereceipts.gif

But in all seriousness, this may delay my 970 for one with 6/8 gigs of ram.

Betting the price jump will be stupid high, though. :/

3GB or greater for "high" alone? I own a 2GB GTX 670 and I just downloaded the 8 minute walkthrough on gamersyde thinking I could play it on the high setting at the very least...

5xtDarG6KgYOkxBgP28_zpse39f2624.gif

And just like that 970/980 hype thread deflated lol

People should prepare themselves for this type of stuff moving forward. Especially as devs get unshackled from the hell that is 360/ps3 2006 specs.

"This has all happened before, and it will all happen again."

Doom 3 released with its Ultra texture options requiring 512MB of VRAM when there was not a single card out there with that much VRAM (perhaps one workstation card, which... yeah, it's a workstation card, nobody really uses them for gaming). They basically did this to future proof the game, which is what made Doom3 a great benchmark for so long.

I welcome devs doing this. Create extremely high res assets, and release them as optional add-ons so the game continues to stand the test of time. They have those original assets anyway since they need to scale them down for consoles and other quality levels, so it's not a crazy amount of work. You shouldn't expect to be able to completely max out a game when it launches every time.

tauke

All this massive VRAM requirements is making my GTX 780 3GB already outdated for slightly more than a year of ownership.

Surely there is a method to stream in textures occasionally to stored on the graphic card instead of loading them all at once. Also unless there are many textures in 32-bit float format (those who work in compositing will know this), the large VRAM requirements is insane.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Damn, that's a really nice looking options menu. Lots of info, laid out very well. Kinda makes me want to buy the game, honestly.

I'm not going to be upgrading from my 4 GB card anytime soon, but stuff like this will definitely influence my next purchase.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not true. I have 3 cards with that amount of VRAM in my machine now :p

But if you mean prices coming down to mainstream levels for cards with 4GB+ VRAMthen you're probably right.

Yes. I meant "reasonably." Didn't you buy three Titans or something?

Lol and people got angry at me for suggesting that their 3 gig cards won't cut it for this gen.
It's funny. Countless threads and discussions for months on end about 2gb, 3gb being enough, about some random $500 setup blowing away the consoles and able to run next-gen games for a few years at least. It's all out the window. All of it was bs.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It's like 5.5 on PS4 I think.

4.5 from what i've heard on PS4 with possible optimization on that front later. That's from Digital Foundry, i don't know if they are right or not.

And yeah guys, the consoles don't have that much RAM in comparison to ultra for these sort of games at all, but the baseline limit was moved up so that the very minimum you will get from now on is most likely the console standard, which is no longer 512MB 1GB or even 2GB

It's funny. Countless threads and discussions for months on end about 2gb, 3gb being enough, about some random $500 setup blowing away the consoles and able to run next-gen games for a few years at least. It's all out the window. All of it was bs.

Ultra settings are beyond the console versions, and they likely don't have tessellation and are inferior in other ways. Game is out in 4 days, we'll see shortly how it compares and how much their 6GB recommendation matters.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wait... why are people all of a sudden acting like PS4 / XB1 versions will be like playing these games on ultra with these "glad I bought a PS4 instead of a computer lol" comments?

Wont the game even on medium/high still be the same or better than the consoles as usual?

Our Dark Lord Sauron will be remembered not for the One Ring, but for being the One who finally kicked PC's out of 2007.

May a new GPU race usher in 4k and humane prices. 5% annual speed bumps a thing of the past. Thanks, Sauron.

I wish.

Ultra settings are beyond the console versions, and they likely don't have tessellation and are inferior in other ways. Game is out in 4 days, we'll see shortly how it compares and how much their 6GB recommendation matters.
I'm aware the ultra settings are higher than console settings. The post was in a broad context, not about this specific game (the post I quoted was about the gen as a whole).

GHG

Gold Member
Just cancelled my 670 sli order.

With this and the evil withins requirements I think it's time for a rethink. May wait for the 8gb versions or nab 2 780 6gbs on a sale.

If this is what's needed at 1080p what the hell does it mean for people who want to down sample.

No wonder the PC version of GTA has been delayed. The shitstorm will be epic when the requirements for that game are announced.

Stimpack

More open world and higher resolution textures = high VRAM requirements. There were already end of generation games that were easily hitting the cap. I'm far from a genius on the top, but it was obvious that VRAM requirements were going to double or triple.

Just cancelled my 670 sli order.

With this and the evil withins requirements I think it's time for a rethink. May wait for the 8gb versions or nab 2 780 6gbs on a sale.

Smart move. Anyone kicking themselves over this should've seen it coming rather than convincing themselves that 2-4 gigs was going to max out next-gen games. It's just going to keep going down this road. Can't wait to see what PC performance and IQ looks like a couple of years from now. When is the whole "unified memory" thing happening again?

My 780 couldn't even run the game (Watch Dogs) it came bundled with properly. 3GB not enough for highest texture resolutions, the skipping made it unplayable. Looks like this might continue being an issue. Nvidia is dumb.

wait... why are people all of a sudden acting like PS4 / XB1 versions will be like playing these games on ultra with these "glad I bought a PS4 instead of a computer lol" comments?

Wont the game even on medium/high still be the same or better than the consoles as usual?

I guess the reasoning is more in line of "for the money I need to run this on High/Ultra, I'm glad I got a PS4"

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

We should probably be expecting 'high' resolution textures with a general mix of 'high' graphical settings in comparison to the PC version on PS4 at 1080p 30fps on this game.

I'm aware the ultra settings are higher than console settings. The post was in a broad context, not about this specific game (the post I quoted was about the gen as a whole).
Nothing has changed in regards to mid-end cards being able to run games at console equivalent settings so far.

I'll want to see (a) screenshot comparisons of High vs. Ultra and (b) benchmarks at High and Ultra.

I suspect that High and Ultra textures will look similar to each other in the eyes of most of us. Ultra's clearly meant for enthusiasts and for future proofing. Shadow of Mordor should still look very good on High, likely better than PS4.

Some of you need to chill. Your shiny new GTX 970 isn't obsolete.

More open world and higher resolution textures = high VRAM requirements. There were already end of generation games that were easily hitting the cap. I'm far from a genius on the top, but it was obvious that VRAM requirements were going to double or triple.
Sadly, it wasn't obvious to a lot of people here. For example, legacyzero got rekt by listening to the 2gb is enough crowd. Even 3 isn't enough.

Nothing has changed in regards to mid-end cards being able to run games at console equivalent settings so far.
First of all, why would you want to play at console equivalent settings for the price we're paying? Second, the PS4 version is running at 1080p/60fps. I wouldn't be surprised if it's equivalent to high settings on PC.

SeanTSC

Pretty sure the PS4 doesn't have VRAM that high

Yeah, it doesn't. But still, short answer: Yes, that's the reason.

Longer answer: Developers can do a lot more with Ultra settings on the PC now that they aren't as constrained by 512mb RAM consoles. It's a lot easier to scale up further when the PS4 & XB1 are the baseline. Mordor is technically cross-gen, but the last gen versions were outsourced and apparently have stuff gutted from them. It's more like pseudo-cross gen so the developers weren't so quite as held back by it.

Basically, the PS4 & XB1 are a *huge* boon for people who love high end PC settings.

npa189

Excuse me? 6GB? Are they serious? That it, I'm officially over PC hardware. Not that I cared much about this game anyway, but if my 2GB gtx 670 can't cut the mustard at 1080p someone fucked up.

Dr.Acula

Banned
My GTX 780 is crying...

So glad I went 4 gig on my 770 ;)

Excuse me? 6GB? Are they serious? That it, I'm officially over PC hardware. Not that I cared much about this game anyway, but if my 2GB gtx 670 can't cut the mustard at 1080p someone fucked up.

You game is still gonna look better than on the PS4, you're just not going to be able to max it out like you got quad titans or something. That's okay.

We should probably be expecting 'high' resolution textures with a general mix of 'high' graphical settings in comparison to the PC version on PS4 at 1080p 30fps on this game.
The game runs at 60 fps on PS4.

And while it makes sense to assume that the PC version will be superior in most ways, it's far from a guarantee.

Your video card is 2 and a half years old, why should you be able to run everything at max settings without performance issues?

Stimpack

Sadly, it wasn't obvious to a lot of people here. For example, legacyzero got rekt by listening to the 2gb is enough crowd. Even 3 isn't enough.

I'm sure 2-3 gigs will hold out alright for another year or so, but it's not and "if it will be enough" it's "when will it not be enough."

Duxxy3

Eh, it was expected.

Developers were making games for consoles with a maximum of 512MB of ram. Now they have 10 times that in the new consoles. Nobody should be surprised that ram requirements skyrocketed.

GHG

Gold Member
I told people this would happen as soon as the multiplatform games for the new consoles start hitting. They port from the console versions more often than not and if the engine is designed around 6gb of usable RAM then PC's with low amounts of VRAM are bound to struggle. They are scaling up from 6gb now, not from 512mb. It's logical.

We actually saw the exact same thing happen at the start of last gen. GPU power wasn't the biggest constraint from the PC perspective, it was the VRAM requirements. Anyone with less that 512mb of VRAM was screwed immediately.

Evo X

I think we should back off from the over reactions until the game is released.

1) To see just how much better Ultra textures are compared to High

2) To see if 6GB is even necessary or a gross exaggeration by the devs.

This seems a bit overblown.

Top Bottom