• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

zulux21

You'd probably get more CP by not burning out, and even just hitting the first CP progression in CL7.

I'm...not sure how doable lvl 500 nodes will be, with only 2 usable characters

yeah that's my debate.

I think it might depend on who is boosted and if the node if a goon node or not.

I mean a boosted peggy + iron man might be able to do it given how much damage peggy can do boosted, and the fact that her stun in strong and hits hard.

Spoit

I'm not so sure, given how often I've almost wiped this current event, trying to scrounge the ap to get im started. Granted, Peggy has better follow thorough than GR, but the problem still lays with gathering the 6 ap to get going. And I guess essentials with hood aren't usually that super common

zulux21

I'm not so sure, given how often I've almost wiped this current event, trying to scrounge the ap to get im started. Granted, Peggy has better follow thorough than GR, but the problem still lays with gathering the 6 ap to get going. And I guess essentials with hood aren't usually that super common

yeah no hood would be a plus, beyond that i can always use boosts to start with 3 yellow so getting a single match wouldn't be that terrible.

I have a question if anyone can help. I have stockpiled like 30 legendary tokens but I'm not sure I want to use them yet as I'm just starting to level 4 stars. Is there a limit to how many you can hold or do they ever reset them? Any help would be appreciated!

Spoit

I have a question if anyone can help. I have stockpiled like 30 legendary tokens but I'm not sure I want to use them yet as I'm just starting to level 4 stars. Is there a limit to how many you can hold or do they ever reset them? Any help would be appreciated!

The math may change now with the 5* essential nodes, but in general you want to stock at least 300 pulls (probably like 4-500, realistically) between tokens and cp, and a few million ISO, and then pull when all 3 latest legends are good enough (so, at the very least, when there are no boobie prizes like ock or starlord. Though optimally, when there's another amazing triplet like the period that contained strange, thanos, panther, and hawkeye). This will hopefully let you go and get 3 5* champs, to actually break into the next tier. And also probably champ the latest 12 4*s to the point where they're not total deadweight (when boosted) in the 5* tier either (which is like 330 or so).

That said, I'm a total hypocrite about not spending CP, rarely getting above like 300 or so before I get impatient and pulling to try to fill a bonus char for a boost week. And am kind of eyeing my modest 30-something stock of latest legends to try to get ock before he rotates out

EDIT: case in point, I just blew my meager CP stock on this cosmic legendary pool, for the chance at thanos covers. Half of the covers were in unchamped 4*s, and the only 5* was a dumb starlord cover

If you have enough HP for a roster slot if you get someone new and enough iso to champ a 4 star (or can get it in 2 weeks), then go ahead and open a legendary. Stop when you no longer meet the conditions above. Tokens never expire, so waiting isn't a problem.

You just had the wrong champs for the event. Champed and boosted C&D and Agent Venom breezed through it.

Spoit

I mean, having venom would have helped, sure. But the issue is still getting the 6 AP before you get splattered. Which is super hit or miss at lvl 500 or whatever it was, since a single cast+match damage is probably enough to down you.

Dalek

I think I'm finally at a point where I'm going to start hoarding those tokens. It sucks-I definitely have an immediate gratification thing. But what other choice is there? There's way too many 5*s now and RNG just hates me in this game.

Needing 300 Legendary Tokens is just insane though.

Let's say you break it up-half tokens and half CP

you would need 150 Legendary Tokens-which if you get from DDQ would take you 750 days and then need 3,750 CP.

Insanity

zulux21

I think I'm finally at a point where I'm going to start hoarding those tokens. It sucks-I definitely have an immediate gratification thing. But what other choice is there? There's way too many 5*s now and RNG just hates me in this game.

Needing 300 Legendary Tokens is just insane though.

Let's say you break it up-half tokens and half CP

you would need 150 Legendary Tokens-which if you get from DDQ would take you 750 days and then need 3,750 CP.

Insanity

I mean it's a bit insane, but once you get your 3 star roster to like 235 cp and tokens start coming pretty quickly.

*for the heck of it tries SCL9 for the 5* node rewards since Carol is boosted*

me... I am just going to chug along and work on 4* as there are only 2 5* i even care about. hawkeye and spiderman peter paker.

Dalek

I mean it's a bit insane, but once you get your 3 star roster to like 235 cp and tokens start coming pretty quickly.

*for the heck of it tries SCL9 for the 5* node rewards since Carol is boosted*

me... I am just going to chug along and work on 4* as there are only 2 5* i even care about. hawkeye and spiderman peter paker.

I want to finish Phoenix, Dr. Strange, Thanos, Hawkeye and Peter. It will never happen. Strange came out so long ago and he's still only 1/2/0 for me.

zulux21

I want to finish Phoenix, Dr. Strange, Thanos, Hawkeye and Peter. It will never happen. Strange came out so long ago and he's still only 1/2/0 for me.
I have no real interest in strange as i think the five star version is inferior to the three star for to lack of healing.

Thanks would be nice but not a big deal.

zulux21

Autocorrect claims another victim.

indeed. though it is amusing thanos becomes thanks :p

also amusing that it still made sense.

edit: also it was hard to get 14 purple to end the second round. I think I will have to stick to scl 7 for 1CP as 445 symbiotes are hard @_@

Spoit

Talking about champs, I have 3 (well 4, but I waffled too long on the individualized HfH offer) wasting away on the vine. 1 cover each for flaptain and ant-man, both of whom are at like lvl 200 or so, and would probably require like 250k each, and 2 mordos, who is incredibly low, and would require like 400k. Not sure which one(s) to champ. Since they're fresher, I might be able to turn the former 2 before they expire, especially with anniversary imminent. But on the other hand, I've probably thrown away like 10 mordo covers already, and he's going to stay in the recent 4*s for a reasonably long period, so maybe I should just bite the bullet and finally take care of him now that I'm reasonably close to having enough ISO. Opinions? I could wait to see what next week's buffs hold, but honestly, none of them are really strong enough to build a whole team around

Triz

Mordo isn’t bad with his recent fix. His purple can wreck any team who uses a color they don’t use. Besides like you said you’ll keep pulling covers for him.

Flaptain sucks, ant man is ok with teams.

Source: have all 3 champed

I'm still gonna try to run a Flaptain/CapMarvel/Wasp team as soon as I get Wasp champed. The only danger with it is going to be collecting a ton of blue against the characters that punish you for having large amounts of AP you can't use (like Mordo).

zulux21

i feel like redeeming one of these.
oyiiRUb.png

2*
3* squirrel
4* Mordo
2*
2*
2*
2*
2*
3* Dare Devil
4* spider Gwen.
3* bonus iron man
4* bonus wasp

first one done

and since that went dececently with no dupes to sell... lets try it agian.

2*
2*
3* psylock
3* iron man (time to start a new one :p)
3* hood
3* bullseye
2*
2*
2*
2*
3* bonus IF (my only 3* bonus hero right now) * 2

and since I still need more money to champ gwenpool why not the last one too :p

2*
2*
2*
2*
2*
3* KK
2*
3* Cap
3* squirrel
2*

kept getting worse but overall not a horrible haul. could have been worse.

also yay 13 champ 4* now

should pretty much always have at least one boosted.

looks like 22 of my 4* either have enough covers to champ them or are missing a single cover.

zulux21

Got 1k HP from taco token! So who's better to roster, Pink-Miles or Blue-Mordo?

Mordo has more use as a single character given his hard hit for teams that don't use every color.

miles in theory is the basis of one of the more powerful teams in the game, but alas I still am working on building it so I can't confirm if it is as goofy as I think it will be :p

he is fun to goof around with, but to make great use of him you need another 4* and a 5* so yeah :p

so I guess I would say Mordo but neither character is top tier.

zulux21

If we get Lockheed-we're that much closer to making a full Pet Avengers team.

lockheed is awesome in general, but yeah, part of me wants to make a full petvengers team.

and shadowcat has been my requested character ever since they first started asking people lol.

though I imagine shadowcat will be underpowered as she would likely use the invisibility mechanics to imitate her phasing abilities.

Dalek

lockheed is awesome in general, but yeah, part of me wants to make a full petvengers team.

and shadowcat has been my requested character ever since they first started asking people lol.

though I imagine shadowcat will be underpowered as she would likely use the invisibility mechanics to imitate her phasing abilities.

We know who's next:

Dalek

PIECING TOGETHER MARVEL PUZZLE QUEST: ROGUE

Marvel.com: It’s been a while since we’ve seen anyone with an X-Gene join the roster. Can you talk a little about why mutants are back on the menu?

Josh Austin: I know, right? Keeping the secret that we are bringing back the mutants was so hard! Players have been asking for a long time and Rogue is just the start. We will be releasing a few more, plus some mutant-themed events that should bring a lot of excitement to the game.

Marvel.com: Super happy to see Rogue making the cut too! Why was she the right mutant for the job?

Josh Austin: Rogue has been one of the top requested characters for so long. Every time I would send out a preview character with the community one of the top automatic responses seemed to be Rogue, so we wanted to start with her. She’s a 4-star character and will be tough to beat with her power siphoning and damage reduction. Players are going to have fun using her and dread facing her. The designers did a great job translating her powers to “Marvel Puzzle Quest” and she’s going to be a great addition to any roster!

Marvel.com: Rogue’s been in her fair share of video games in the past. What does the team have in store for us in “Marvel Puzzle Quest”?

Josh Austin: Since we did not want to disappoint on such a highly requested character, we definitely went with her familiar power set of draining powers, flying head on into combat with a devastating punch and even leading her team in the attack, all done in “Marvel Puzzle Quest” fashion.

Marvel.com: And what can she do in “MPQ” fashion?

Josh Austin: What the above overview translates into is Rogue’s first ability, Gloves Off, which costs five Green AP. This power then becomes Power Siphon. Power Siphon is a Passive ability that has Rogue absorbing enemy powers but risks damaging herself with continued exposure. What this means in terms of gameplay is enemy matches in this ability’s color generates no AP and [deal] no damage while friendly matches generate double AP and deal double damage! At the start of the turn, spend 14 AP in this ability’s color to deal damage to the target and deal about half that amount of damage to Rogue. This power then becomes Gloves Off again.

Rogue’s Second ability is called Sugah, You’re Goin’ Down and costs 12 Red AP. It’s a headfirst flying charge punch that sends the enemy reeling. It deals damage and destroys a block of tiles dealing damage but not generating AP.

Rogue’s final ability is called Leading the Charge and it’s a Yellow Passive. When Rogue is in front, enemy matches deal less damage for each teammate still in the fight. Whenever the enemy makes a Green, Red or Yellow match, Rogue is sent to the front automatically.

Marvel.com: Let’s talk a little about Gloves Off. Because of the potential damage Rogue risks, is this something she needs to use sparingly or do the benefits outweigh the risks.

Josh Austin: The risk is only if the player gets the 14 AP to set off Power Siphon’s damage function. The moment the player collects 14 AP in the chosen color, Rogue damages the enemy and receives damage. If you have someone that can use up the AP, so you’re just doing double damage on matches, Rogue will be totally fine.

Marvel.com: How about teammates? Who does she play well with?

Josh Austin: Because of Rogue’s ability to gain double AP with Power Siphon and the damage reduction with Leading the Charge, she works well with many characters and she will be a great ally or really difficult opponent! She is strong with characters that create Charged tiles like Black Bolt, Silver Surfer, The Hulk (Totally Awesome), Thor (Goddess of Thunder), Mordo, and Lockjaw.

Marvel.com: Is there anything else we need to know?

Josh Austin: Rogue is coming to “Marvel Puzzle Quest” on September 28. She will be in placement rewards for Hearts of Darkness, which starts the same day. Players will also have a chance to get her through tokens awarded in S.H.I.E.L.D. Training. Her featured event will be Webbed Wonder that starts October 1 and players can snatch her up as a progression reward. Her Versus Tournament, Close Contact, starts on October 1.

Rogue will also be the first character released in a mini-gauntlet at the same time as her debut event, which will reward players tokens to the debut event store and a cover of Rogue. We will have more information on the details of this change in the D3 forums closer to Rogue’s release!

Marvel.com: And I heard you have some other fun bits of news to tease for October?

Josh Austin: Yes! We are getting close to our four-year Anniversary of “Marvel Puzzle Quest” so players should stay tuned next week as we introduce details of what is coming to the game for the Anniversary. We are looking forward to the celebration and sharing more details about a couple of other X-Men characters coming to the game. You may have heard of them—Gambit and Nightcrawler! I can’t say anything more than that but stay tuned next week for more info about their release and a special in-game X-Men themed event.

zulux21

gambit or nightcrawler are the 5* currently teased, also gloves off sounds crazy good if it works the way I am reading.

the only thing she won't be great against is in PVE vs feeder goons.

I mean if the enemy can't get AP or do match damage, it's basically a 5 AP win move as long as you are careful not to get 14AP? edit: no wait... it's just a random color?

new event also announced
https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/...ng-and-rogue-and-friends-vault-9-27-17#latest

it's a lot to read so I won't post it all but some of the missions require you to have characters at certain levels.

3 Call for Backup missions
Each mission unlocks after a set of three Training Exercise missions
Requires Cyclops (Classic), Wolverine (X-Force), and Professor X (Charles Xavier)
Later missions require these characters to be a certain level or higher (94 and 209 respectively)
Rewards include Hearts of Darkness tokens, and a random Rogue (Classic) cover

5 Individual Training missions
1-on-1 missions requiring Rogue (Classic)
Later missions require Rogue to be a certain level or higher (78, 111, 169, 251 respectively)
Rewards include Command Points, and a Latest Legends Token

aka you need some iso. I need to level my x-force and prof x a bit... but it's a 7 day event, I don't know how I will be able to get enough covers to level rogue to level 251 @_@

gambit or nightcrawler are the 5* currently teased, also gloves off sounds crazy good if it works the way I am reading.

the only thing she won't be great against is in PVE vs feeder goons.

I mean if the enemy can't get AP or do match damage, it's basically a 5 AP win move as long as you are careful not to get 14AP? edit: no wait... it's just a random color?

new event also announced
https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/...ng-and-rogue-and-friends-vault-9-27-17#latest

it's a lot to read so I won't post it all but some of the missions require you to have characters at certain levels.

aka you need some iso. I need to level my x-force and prof x a bit... but it's a 7 day event, I don't know how I will be able to get enough covers to level rogue to level 251 @_@

The 5* is supposedly Gambit. And as far as Rogue, the datamining basically said that the color it chooses is the enemy team's strongest color. So they get one color they can't gain AP in. It's useful if their strongest color is also their best power, but you can get around it either by using feeders (IM40, Vulture) or using someone whose strongest color is actually their passive color (Red Hulk).

zulux21

The 5* is supposedly Gambit. And as far as Rogue, the datamining basically said that the color it chooses is the enemy team's strongest color. So they get one color they can't gain AP in. It's useful if their strongest color is also their best power, but you can get around it either by using feeders (IM40, Vulture) or using someone whose strongest color is actually their passive color (Red Hulk).

yeah reading more then she doesn't seem very exciting.

her red move looks like it's going to be quite weak for the AP cost.
and her yellow passive could be fun but it is only for matches so not very exciting. I mean even a yellow passive that just outright said all allies take 20% less damage for each character left (aka 60% less until someone was down) really wouldn't be an exciting ability. so one with a bunch of conditions and moving rogue to the front to constantly be hit isn't exactly exciting.

Spoit

Well fuck me then. I spent 15 latest legends to try get an ock for this rogue release tourney. Didn't get a single 5*. What are even the odds of that?

EDIT: about 9%, apparently

zulux21

Well fuck me then. I spent 15 latest legends to try get an ock for this rogue release tourney. Didn't get a single 5*. What are even the odds of that?

EDIT: about 9%, apparently

I completely forgot those new 5* nods are going to screw with placement rewards aren't they.

hmmm i do have an oc. maybe I will be able to get a rogue still.

Spoit

Numbers for rouge are up:
Rogue (Classic)
4 star Legendary Character
MAX HP: 16465
65/13/11/4.0x/74/85/12/43

Gloves Off - 5 Green AP:
Rogue grabs onto her enemy, draining them of their power and gaining it for herself. This power becomes Power Siphon. Its color is the target's strongest color.

Level 2: Power Siphon deals 3082 damage to the target.
Level 3: Power Siphon deals 3460 damage to the target and 926 damage to Rogue.
Level 4: Power Siphon deals 4586 damage to the target.
Level 5: Power Siphon deals 6838 damage to the target. Friendly matches in Power Siphon's color deal triple damage.
MAX POWER:
Level 3: Power Siphon deals 6740 damage to the target and 1804 to Rogue.
Level 4: Power Siphon deals 8934 damage to the target.
Level 5: Power Siphon deals 13321 damage to the target. Friendly matches in Power Siphon's color deal triple damage.

Power Siphon - 0 Green AP (PASSIVE):
(PASSIVE) Rogue absorbs enemy powers, at risk to herself. Enemy matches in this ability's color generate no AP and deal no damage while friendly matches generate double AP and deal double damage. At turn start, spend 14 AP in this ability's color to deal 2519 damage to the target and 1111 damage to Rogue. This power becomes Gloves Off again.

Level 2: Deals 3082 damage to the target.
Level 3: Deals 3460 damage to the target and 926 to Rogue.
Level 4: Deals 4586 damage to the target and 926 to Rogue.
Level 5: Deals 6838 damage to the target and friendly matches in this ability's color deal triple damage.
MAX POWER:
Level 3: Deals 6740 damage to the target and 1804 to Rogue.
Level 4: Deals 8934 damage to the target and 1804 to Rogue.
Level 5: Deals 8934 damage to the target. Friendly matches in Green (Power Siphon's color) deal triple daam

Sugah, You're Goin' Down - 12 Red AP:
Rogue flies headlong into battle with a punch that sends the enemy reeling! Deals 398 damage and destroys a chosen block of 3x3 tiles, dealing damage and generating AP.

Level 2: Deals 740 damage
Level 3: Deals 1092 damage.
Level 4: Deals 1786 damage.
Level 5: Deals 3165 damage.
MAX POWER:
Level 3: Deals 2129 damage.
Level 4: Deals 3483 damage.
Level 5: Deals 6172 damage.

Leading the Charge - 0 Yellow AP (PASSIVE):
(PASSIVE) Rogue's superhuman durability makes a great frontline fighter and a tough target for her enemies. As long as Rogue is in front, enemy matches deal 10% less damage for each teammate still in the fight. Whenever the enemy makes a Green, Red, or Yellow match, send Rogue to the front.

Level 2: Reduces enemy match damage by 15% for each teammate still in the fight.
Level 3: Reduces enemy match damage by 20% for each teammate still in the fight.
Level 4: Reduces enemy power and match damage by 20% for each teammate still in the fight.
Level 5: Reduces enemy power and match damage by 25% for each teammate still in the fight.
MAX POWER:
Level 3: Reduces enemy match damage by 20% for each teammate still in the fight.
Level 4: Reduces enemy power and match damage by 20% for each teammate still in the fight.
Level 5: Reduces enemy power and match damage by 25% for each teammate still in the fight.
13k damage for 5 AP? That can't possibly be right, right?

zulux21

Numbers for rouge are up:

13k damage for 5 AP? That can't possibly be right, right?

it's 5AP to trigger the passive and then 14AP of the enemies strongest color on top of that.

granted you would get it in double AP but still.

overall that doesn't seem terrible.

the red move does less damage than I would like but it at least generates AP.

and the passive that lowers damage from matches and powers is decent.

seems like a 5/3/5 to me, and overall not a bad character, but not top tier one either.

Triz

I completely forgot those new 5* nods are going to screw with placement rewards aren't they.

hmmm i do have an oc. maybe I will be able to get a rogue still.

Those 5 star nodes make it a shit-ton easier to hit max progression. Only did 4 clears past 2 slices (2 on 5 star), 3rd slice only had to do 6 on the lowest ones for max progression.

zulux21

Those 5 star nodes make it a shit-ton easier to hit max progression. Only did 4 clears past 2 slices (2 on 5 star), 3rd slice only had to do 6 on the lowest ones for max progression.

yeah I was just doing 6 clears on the level 23 nods, and two clears on the 5* nodes and I managed to get the 4* cover by just clearing up to the last node on the last day and grinding that for 1 cp.

I typically just grind the level 23 nodes for intercept rewards (and exp) so just needing to add the extra bit isn't bad for the 4* cover. makes it easier to get without needing the required 4*. though right now I don't think i am actually missing any character above a 2* rating.

Whoa whoa whoa.

The last regular node of the new Shield PVE thing requires a level 209 Professor X. The reward is a Rogue cover.

Won't taking him to 209 eliminate Winfinite as a strategy??

Edit....hmmmm looks like it will only change it when boosted. At lvl 209 he does 73 damage while my 218 GSBW does 85.

Edit 2: Dammit. I didn't realize my Prof is only 5/1/1. No Rogue for me.

zulux21

Whoa whoa whoa.

The last regular node of the new Shield PVE thing requires a level 209 Professor X. The reward is a Rogue cover.

Won't taking him to 209 eliminate Winfinite as a strategy??

Edit....hmmmm looks like it will only change it when boosted. At lvl 209 he does 73 damage while my 218 GSBW does 85.

Edit 2: Dammit. I didn't realize my Prof is only 5/1/1. No Rogue for me.

yeah you figured it out.

without the champ system it would, but with the champ system it does not.

edit: I also missed that rogue's red is a chosen spot, and can confirm you get double AP from that. She can be an interesting fuel for a single power if the enemy has that power.

zulux21

yeah this anniversary is going to most likely suck
Instead of the usual dedicated store with increased odds, we've decided to apply a discount across the 10x and 40x purchases in the store, reducing it by 500 HP and 4,000 HP, respectively. On top of this, the Daily Deal discount stacks with this special Rogue Cover Store Sale, for an even bigger reduction! 1x Pack: 400 HP (200 Daily Deal) 10x Pack: 4,000 HP -> 3,500 HP (3,300 Daily Deal) 40x Pack: 16,000 HP -> 12,000 HP (11,800 Daily Deal)

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/...sale-and-x-men-affiliations-update-9-28-17/p1

so instead of a vault with great odds to get what you want, instead we will get overpriced tokens at a reduced rate but still much to high.

Spoit

Hmm, not sure which SCL to take for this event. I am not wasting more LL to try to get ock, so 6 would be my only chance at an even playing field, but on the other hand, If I go for 7 I would be able to roll the dice on the progression MB cover unlocking the HfH offer....

Got all the way to the last fight for Rogue, and womp womp, my Prof X and Cyclops aren't Lv 209. Cyke is at 155 and X was at like 180, so I'm going to try to level them up. We'll see, but I'm also champing Iron Fist.

Top Bottom