• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
That sounds better than I was expecting, to be honest.

Unsurprisingly, there's an MMPR sale on comiXology. People have been liking that, right?

U.S.Avengers #4
This issue was great. I'm not a fan of meta gimmick issues all the time, but I really enjoyed it here. I do wish more comics did short one-issue stories rather than multi-part arcs. That shit gets tiresome and I've said it so many times.

Still, this was pretty great and a solid showing of the new Rulk.

Captain America: Steve Rogers #13
So they're doing the Masters of Evil again, which is cool and I love Zemo in this. I find this issue problematic, not on its own, but as part of a greater whole: in order to finish this arc, I have to read Thunderbolts, a book so incredibly underwhelming that I forget that it even exists until I reach the final page of these issues. It's because of that fact that I have no idea what Cap's end game is. To kill Bucky? To capture Kobik? To incarcerate and/or kill the whole lot, save for Kobik? I have no idea, but surely I would if I would read Thunderbolts. Uncanny Avengers doesn't help because that book is using Red Skull and Sin in such a radically different way from this book that I honestly can't think of how this conceivably could pan out. It's like walking in two different directions at the same time.

On top of all of that, it's made me realize that, while this story is also incredibly compelling, it's incredibly annoying as well due to how many of the issues are strictly just setting up for a major event and tie-ins-but-not-tie-ins to other books. It's kind of annoying once the realization hits that this book will never exist beyond that. That this book will go down as, "the most compelling event prologue and unofficial tie-in book of all time," assuming there aren't others out there as is. It's just that I realize the longer this book goes on that I become annoyed. Thirteen issues and not a single intrinsic payoff. Anytime a possible conclusion to an arc is met, it simply has more set-up attached to it, only to seemingly drift forever into eternity as a set of stairs that can only be walked up and never ends.

Captain America: Sam Wilson #20
Goddamn. Was not expecting that. This book hits hard, and it doesn't shy away from that, and these past couple arcs have been particularly dark, but holy shit. This book really does a good job of making you feel what Sam feels: lost, distorted, demoralized, weak, beaten down, exhausted. It makes you feel all those things, and it makes it hard to read, but not in a bad way. It does a good job of eliciting an emotional response, and in this case it's the right kind of emotional response.

Still one of my favorite ongoings.

Not often I wish I were up to date on a monthly, but all these spoil tags the last few days about the various Thors. I'm actually excited to find out what they are hah.

Chris Mitten is credited for art on the new Man Thing book? Is that a sub in for Peralta or is he doing specific sequences, does anyone know? Love that guy.

Captain America: Steve Rogersin order to finish this arc, I have to read Thunderbolts, a book so incredibly underwhelming that I forget that it even exists until I reach the final page of these issues. .

I honestly cannot believe how bad the art is on the thunderbolts book every time I look at previews.

There's a fucking Shadowland sale on CMX.

Edit: It's perfect.

Aftershock's last supper:
ascdigitalexclusives_mdlxm.png

Holy hell:

I have to say, I am very very disappointed with Gotham Academy #7-#17. The latter half felt like someone trying to create a tribute album when the original band only ever released one EP and one LP. 17 issues and I think there was maybe one good solid arc floating in there. The good art, good characters and good premise could and should have led to so much more.

I have to say, I am very very disappointed with Gotham Academy #7-#17. The latter half felt like someone trying to create a tribute album when the original band only ever released one EP and one LP. 17 issues and I think there was maybe one good solid arc floating in there. The good art, good characters and good premise could and should have led to so much more.

I agree with you, and don't even try Second Semester, it's somehow worse.

I really liked the first semester and thought it went downhill but Second Semester just made me angry after reading the first 2-3 issues I finally gave up.

Holy hell:

Lol. The ways in which the internet and nature of the comic industry allows what would be watercooler chat in a normal workplace be a public discussion for everyone to see.

Shame to hear Gotham Academy has disappointed folks, I've really enjoyed what I've read so far for my part (first two volumes). They felt different to each other, one being a tradition arc and the other feeling a little more compressed, focused on shorter stories, but it still had the strengths of the first book. Fun investable characters, and cool use of obscure continuity or reinterpreting familiar elements of Batman in novel ways. I'm a bit behind though.

I really liked Batgirl and Black Canary for that matter though, and Cloonan's image book, so I think I just really enjoy the writing style and focus.

I'm up to episode 8 of Iron Fist guys and really struggling, someone please tell me it gets better in the last third because it has been bad so far.

I loved Daredevil, JJ and Luke Cage (even the second half) and really wanted to believe it wasn't going to be as bad as the critics were making out, but jeez it really is. Finn Jones has the right look but he is unfortunately a straight out bad actor, who is given no help at all by a lot of terrible cheesy dialogue. The story seems to veer from boring to cheesy back to boring again. With the fight scenes just seeming really limp, like no ones actually hitting each other and there still in rehearsals. How could we go from the amazing fight scenes in Daredevil back to this. They also need to stop Danny doing his comedy tai chi workout dance and spouting fortune cookie wisdom as it just seems comical. The only thing that's keeping me going is Coleen Wing and the hopes of a future Coleen/Misty team up show in the future.

Whats really surprised me though is how this is so bad as one of the previously brilliant Netflix shows but yet Legion an x-men from Fox has been one of the best things on tv at the moment. If your not watching it seriously do, its amazing, each episode is so creative and different from anything else on. I don't even know how something that crazy got green light but I'm glad it did.

I'm up to episode 8 of Iron Fist guys and really struggling, someone please tell me it gets better in the last third because it has been bad so far.

Nah, if it's one thing, it's consistent. If you're not enjoying it now, I can't think why you'd enjoy it in a few episodes time, the writing is on a plateau.

caliph95

I loved Daredevil, JJ and Luke Cage (even the second half) and really wanted to believe it wasn't going to be as bad as the critics were making out, but jeez it really is. Finn Jones has the right look but he is unfortunately a straight out bad actor, who is given no help at all by a lot of terrible cheesy dialogue. The story seems to veer from boring to cheesy back to boring again. With the fight scenes just seeming really limp, like no ones actually hitting each other and there still in rehearsals. How could we go from the amazing fight scenes in Daredevil back to this. They also need to stop Danny doing his comedy tai chi workout dance and spouting fortune cookie wisdom as it just seems comical. The only thing that's keeping me going is Coleen Wing and the hopes of a future Coleen/Misty team up show in the future.

Whats really surprised me though is how this is so bad as one of the previously brilliant Netflix shows but yet Legion an x-men from Fox has been one of the best things on tv at the moment. If your not watching it seriously do, its amazing, each episode is so creative and different from anything else on. I don't even know how something that crazy got green light but I'm glad it did.
Or you could watch bargain Legion which is IF episode 2

Nah, if it's one thing, it's consistent. If you're not enjoying it now, I can't think why you'd enjoy it in a few episodes time, the writing is on a plateau.

Darn it :( I was hoping maybe it built up to a big finish - hmm well I'm too far in now I guess I'll power through to the end, but I'm not falling for a full series of rubbish again from you Marvel/Netflix, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice etc

Or you could watch bargain Legion which is IF episode 2

Ha yeah I can definitely see that, though that was the episode that had the coolest use of the Iron Fist so far, sadly it was against a door

Legion is not perfect but it has more creativity in one episode than Iron Fist has had all series, I would forgive it if it had some cool fight scenes even but meh

caliph95

Ha yeah I can definitely see that, though that was the episode that had the coolest use of the Iron Fist so far, sadly it was against a door

Legion is not perfect but it has more creativity in one episode than Iron Fist has had all series, I would forgive it if it had some cool fight scenes even but meh
I mean the drunken fight was cool or at least in comparison to everything else. Other than that yeah i agree, Legion is probably best comic show on now

I mean the drunken fight was cool or at least in comparison to everything else. Other than that yeah i agree, Legion is probably best comic show on now

Some of the fight scenes have been set up so they should work and be really cool, but they just feel so cartoony, it never feels like anyone is actually hitting anyone - I get there going a different style to Daredevil and Danny is meant to have a more controlled, calm, flowing, fighting style as opposed to Daredevils gritty brutality but it all feels like I said like someone rehearsing a fight rather than actually fighting each other

Really looking forward to Legion, I watched the first ep and was like Yup, this is good, I'll see you in 8 weeks. It finishes up in the 29th? My only worry was by the end of the first ep
he seemed super clear that he's in fact a mutant and not crazy, and I kind of thought that would be a core character struggle for the season before watching
. Review scores seem to indicate it hasn't been an issue whatsoever though.

Anybody read the Alien comics? Kind of interested in grabbing that new Deadly Orbit that is coming out, but unsure if prior knowledge is needed or if it's a whole stand alone thing.

Really looking forward to Legion, I watched the first ep and was like Yup, this is good, I'll see you in 8 weeks. It finishes up in the 29th? My only worry was by the end of the first ep
he seemed super clear that he's in fact a mutant and not crazy, and I kind of thought that would be a core character struggle for the season before watching
. Review scores seem to indicate it hasn't been an issue whatsoever though.

Well I've just been watching it on standard UK cable channels so for me the last episode will be next Thursday, think it may be shown a day or a couple of days earlier in America than that.

Yeah its cleared up pretty early on that he's
not out and out crazy, but then it becomes how does he control his powers as one of the most powerful mutants and what or who is stopping him controlling his powers. He can only do that by getting control of his own mind first, so they can keep with the themes of exploring his past, his mind and his powers and keep things in the show as crazy/out there as possible.

Its such as out there show and I love it for it, its has parts that are sci-fi, comedy, horror, romance and musical, sometimes in the same episode. The only real complaint I hear people saying is that in a few of the episodes the story doesn't progress a great deal, but it more than makes up for in style, themes and imagery in those episodes.

Messi

Anybody read the Alien comics? Kind of interested in grabbing that new Deadly Orbit that is coming out, but unsure if prior knowledge is needed or if it's a whole stand alone thing.

Fairly sure it's standalone but freeza reads them. I'm sure she will be able to tell you.

Its such as out there show and I love it for it, its has parts that are sci-fi, comedy, horror, romance and musical, sometimes in the same episode. The only real complaint I hear people saying is that in a few of the episodes the story doesn't progress a great deal, but it more than makes up for in style, themes and imagery in those episodes.

Awesome, thanks for that. The stuff in the tags sounds good, I'm glad they carry those themes on even as the plot and character progresses because it was definitely one of the more exciting aspects of the first episode. Glad you've enjoyed it so much, makes me more excited Hah. Even though I've really enjoyed Fargo and with good source material out there, I honestly expected little out of the show, so it's been a nice surprise. There isn't a lot I get excited for on TV these days (new seasons of the americans and the leftovers should change that for a bit at least) so I welcome it.

Awesome, thanks for that. The stuff in the tags sounds good, I'm glad they carry those themes on even as the plot and character progresses because it was definitely one of the more exciting aspects of the first episode. Glad you've enjoyed it so much, makes me more excited Hah. Even though I've really enjoyed Fargo and with good source material out there, I honestly expected little out of the show, so it's been a nice surprise. There isn't a lot I get excited for on TV these days (new seasons of the americans and the leftovers should change that for a bit at least) so I welcome it.

Yeah that was the surprise, I wasn't expecting much from Legion and was really excited for Iron Fist, but then that got reversed after starting to watch them.

I keep meaning to watch the Leftovers, I've heard series one was just okay but series two was meant to be really good stuff

I keep meaning to watch the Leftovers, I've heard series one was just okay but series two was meant to be really good stuff

Ah, it depends what you're into really. Season 1 is all character build with very little pay off....until season 2, where it's basically vindicated Imo and that character groundwork makes most of the events really mean something. I appreciate not everyone has that time though or just isn't their cup of tea/what they tune in for. I loved season 1 at the time, partner hated how slow and kind of dour it was, but we both agree season 2 was great and that season 1 is integral to it. You're in the best spot really if you do end up watching since you can effectively watch it as one long season regardless.

caliph95

I will second markwahlbergs brother and say i liked season one but found it slow and a bit rough, the second season is why people love the show and makes going through the first season worth it. I get if you don't have the time or patience but it does greatly pays off.

Generations revealed. How underwhelming.

Still the same "A-list writers", no Nova, nothing about artists, nothing about prices, nothing about if it's monthly.

Well I mean, isn't the current Nova book already sort of like this? Seems pointless to do an event mini, or whatever these are, focusing on the same concept.

Though I don't really think a Hawkeye one is necessary either and we're getting one. Eh.

Well I mean, isn't the current Nova book already sort of like this? Seems pointless to do an event mini, or whatever these are, focusing on the same concept.

Though I don't really think a Hawkeye one is necessary either and we're getting one. Eh.
They're right there at the teaser and are the only ones without one.

Generations doesn't really feel like much of anything, it just seems like a series of one shots with a general theme of trying to attach readers to *new* versions of characters via the old ones, and nothing more. Doesn't really seem like they're genuinely resurrecting these characters. I hope that Thor issue gets collected in the Thor trades.

Top Bottom