• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita US Launch Details (Launch Games, Accessory Pricing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I finally saw the game cases in person.
I knew they were small but dang. So slim and cute.

Gravity Rush cover is great.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I was drunk and was this close to pre-ordering one from Amazon. But I decided long ago to never buy day one. I am also not happy about 3G speeds or data caps. I'll eventually get the wi-fi only version.
Buy the way, why are game cartridges so big? Is it because they are cheaper to make or easier to handle?

PS3 was the only system I bought day one and though a new shiny toy is exciting, I don't like the initial post-release droughts. I'll wait till I see at least 5 games that I really want. By that time, they'd probably fix any initial kinks.

PS. Man, I would've bought one day-one if they had 4G, internal storage and unlimited data...

I don't know why you are putting it to such high entry value standards. You're listing reasons and while some are technically ok, others are just reaching don't you think? I'm talking about memory card size, the supposed bare launch or drought after wards (I can't see why since the launch is strong and there are some pretty good games coming not too long after), the 4g, storage (this is semi understandable but I will touch on this again in a second), and the unlimited data.

On the 3g plan, I understand it's slower but that's what the spec is. The storage is something that if you get any 3g, you will either get the 8GB (at launch) for the 3g/wifi version (1st edition) or a 4gb with the first edition. That should make some headway and appease many. As far as the unlimited, you can only blame AT&T there. For what it is, it's not terrible but like anyone else, I would love an unlimited plan. It is what it is though.

Finally got the chance to try out Vita at an NYC Social Club. I've certainly earned a reputation as one of the more negative GAFfers when it comes to Vita's commercial prospects, but the hardware itself is another story. The sticks were smaller and looser than I had expected, and the face buttons were smaller as well, but that didn't prove too difficult to get used to. The screen, meanwhile, really is as amazing as everyone says. It felt like a very well-designed piece of hardware, no question.

Software highlights:

Little Deviants - Yeah, it's a collection of gimmicky minigames, but they were much more fun than I expected, and the combination of native resolution, decent AA, and 60fps on that screen made this, surprisingly, one of the most visually impressive games there.
Uncharted: GA - A bit disappointing that it runs at sub-native res, and the touchscreen elements are a bit forced, but the visuals are still outstanding, the platforming and gyro shooting were fun, and the novelty of such a console-esque game in a portable package is quite impressive.
Sound Shapes - Loved, loved, loved it. Simple, stylish art, intuitive controls, and the music... absolutely hypnotic with headphones on. I may have spent longer playing this than any other title, and I didn't even touch the level editor.

Lowlights:

Reality Fighters - An AR tech demo with a mediocre fighting game tacked on. Enough said. At least the camera can actually capture video at 60fps, which is nice.
Hot Shots Golf - Not for the gameplay, which I only tried for a few minutes, but the graphics stood out as particularly bad - it only runs at 30fps despite simplistic environments and the sub-native resolution, and the IQ was awful. Turned into a shimmery mess every time the camera moved significantly.

I wish that there'd been demos of Gravity Rush, Escape Plan, or any third-party software, but c'est la vie. Very impressed overall.

Yuripaw

Banned
I popped in the local GameStop to check out the Vita, and sadly, it was behind the plastic case. The employee said they are doing the "unveiling tomorrow", so I may stop back up there this weekend if I have time.

However, while I was in the store, 3 people came in to preorder. I think the buzz is starting to get around.

I work at a gamestop, and it's pretty much up to the manager if they want people to be able to touch it or not. There is not big unveiling that the stores are being told to do, but some store managers might not want to risk it getting stolen.

20120201-xiy28ktiag4g6e8kmjb9x6f3j2.jpg

Sony is learning, I plan on getting lumines and puzzle/sport games on PSN

JVIDICAN

Got to try it at Best buy today. No wires or hard plastic cases, It was great being able to freely move the thing. :p
It feels fantastic in the hands, the screen looks amazing, and OS is extremely fast. The only game on the unit was little deviants, which while not Uncharted or Wipeout, was a really cool way to show off some of the systems features(back touch, AR). The game looks really nice for what it is too. :)

I was at both of the ones in NYC's Union Square yesterday (as well as the Best Buy), and neither had demo units in. Hopefully later this week.

I just pre-ordered my Vita at a Gamestop in Long Island, it had the Vita. That thing is glorious, feels great in my large hands and Uncharted looks fantastic. The Interface and touch screen are so smooth and precise, I'm even more pumped for my Vita now.

now that digital download discounts is kinda confirmed, I wonder if the price bump is due to retailer pressure because they know Sony's planning to offering discount on digital sales.

Eusis

That's because no one wants to Touch My Katamari :(
The coin thing WAS offputting, but no review's made a big deal of it so I have to assume Namco avoided balancing that in an awful way like some freemium games. Of course it still sounds like I'd be better off tracking down the second game I never played.

Mrbob

Problem with this is the gamestop leak of a 10 percent discount, which is uninspiring for the digital store. Especially since the SCEA PSN team does a terrible job keeping up with retail offerings in terms of price. Uncharted will stay $44.99 on PSN when it is $19.99 in stores.

now that digital download discounts is kinda confirmed, I wonder if the price bump is due to retailer pressure because they know Sony's planning to offering discount on digital sales.

Wouldn't the pressure push the prices down? If you knew your competition was going to be offering deals you want your prices to be competitive.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
4d5LJ.jpg

My Amazon order to Australia.

Same stuff here Wifi Vita + Uncharted would be $400+ here.

;D

Wouldn't the pressure push the prices down? If you knew your competition was going to be offering deals you want your prices to be competitive.

I'm thinking something along the lines of retailer want a bigger margin for their retail sales. digital copy will always have an edge against retail copy in terms of price, there's no printing, shipment retailer mark up etc, so gamestop will never win in price war against digital sales (technically, in practice, digital sales rarely changed much). their advantage is in some people that want physical copy, or people who is not connected online etc, nevertheless, they will probably lose some of their customer if they swith going full digital to take advantage of lower prices.

Eusis

Problem with this is the gamestop leak of a 10 percent discount, which is uninspiring for the digital store. Especially since the SCEA PSN team does a terrible job keeping up with retail offerings in terms of price. Uncharted will stay $44.99 on PSN when it is $19.99 in stores.
I believe Sony's one of the better ones at price dropping so long as it wasn't a title released on the store prior to the PSP go's launch, plus it's still a reliable day 1 advantage. It's the third parties I'd be more concerned about (well, and the fact stores will drop first even if Sony does too in the end.)

I just realized something after playing around with Vita. there's no separate save file like PS1,2,3,P that you can just copy for backup. looks like all save file is directly added into the game data/iso, I'm not talking about separate install data like in PS3 here, but literally the whole game itself.

when I'm using retail card game, it's less of a problem since then it really is just small install data and save data combined together. but in digital download game, deleting save data basically mean deleting the whole game. now I'm really curious how game with cross platform compatibility will handle it.

one thing I noticed while downloading/playing demos across region. I download some demo in jp account, played it there and try switch to my US account, the game said that I can actually play those demos, but unable to gain trophies since it's been used in another account before.

the interesting part is when I download Ragnarok Odyssey demo in jp account, but switch back to US account without playing it in my jp account first, the game didn't prompt me any message about not able to get trophies at all, I assume that's because the game haven't been locked to my jp account. as a result, I can play Ragnarok Odyssey demo on my US account and can even save my progress on it. not sure if the same trick will work for full game though.

Crimefighter

Neo Member
I got a chance to try it out at the local gamestop today. only played fifa and wipeout, but it's a very cool piece of hardware. The screen is amazing, and the controls are pretty good, but the sticks take a little bit of getting used to..

No one knows. Current retail listing indicates a possible May release in North America.

Shame, I am really looking for something that showcases the Vitas features. I tried the demo for Little deviants, and while it was interesting I sort of wanted something else. I thought it was kind of cool guiding the little balls around, but it felt sort of just okay. Maybe it was because it was just the demo, or the fact that the best buy guy had to have the unit around his neck, and be so damn close offering "helpful tips" as I was trying to fell it out.

I'll check GameStop for another go around.

Are any of the other titles scheduled for release day really feature heavy?

I got a chance to try it out at the local gamestop today. only played fifa and wipeout, but it's a very cool piece of hardware. The screen is amazing, and the controls are pretty good, but the sticks take a little bit of getting used to..

I still cant get over how light it is! I was honestly expecting it to be original psp status, but was pleasantly surprised.

Tobor

Tried one out at Best Buy today.

Hardware is very nice, but I'm worried about scratching the screen. I still can't believe they didn't go with Gorilla Glass. The back touch seems pretty lame, but the sticks are nice.

Little Deviants is ass. It should cost a dollar.

To all the people who talk about screens, gorilla glass, this and that -- do you not use screen protectors normally? It's fine if you don't, I'm not trying to troll, I just genuinely want to know.

Personally, I don't care how tough something is supposed to be -- if it is a screen, it's getting a screen protector the second it comes out of the box. I put a Sony protector on the Vita, and I don't even notice it is there.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
To all the people who talk about screens, gorilla glass, this and that -- do you not use screen protectors normally? It's fine if you don't, I'm not trying to troll, I just genuinely want to know.

Personally, I don't care how tough something is supposed to be -- if it is a screen, it's getting a screen protector the second it comes out of the box. I put a Sony protector on the Vita, and I don't even notice it is there.
I don't use them because I can't use them, but I'm always putting my Vita back to the case, so the screen will never scratch!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I never use them. Thinking about it for the Vita but worried I'll get an air bubble or something and hate it...

I use screen protector with everything not gorilla glass. I suck at putting them on so they always look like garbage. Then I got the hori 3ds one and it was the best one application-wise I've ever used. Their Vita one uses a similar system so I'm hoping for good things.

Tobor

Nope, Gorilla Glass means you don't need to worry about a screen protector. I've been using iPhones for 5 years without a single scratch.

The Vita will obviously need one, since it's crappy plastic.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I otoh never use a screen protector on anything hahah. Little scratches don't bother me at all because you can't see them unless you're blasting a light on the device or actively trying to look for them, and I'm not that rough with my devices that I have to worry about big scratches.

My iPod, Galaxy Nexus, 3DS, etc. all nice devices but museum pieces they ain't.

teiresias

I'm having a horrendous time playing Ys 7 on my PSPgo - so much so that I'm considering getting a Vita just to finish the game (I keep resetting or sleeping the PSPgo due to the use of the R-trigger and the placement of the power slider on the go - I'm also assuming I'll be able to transfer my saves from my PSPgo to the Vita in some fashion).

I'm guessing we won't know the extent of the PSP game support until after launch and the Vita area of the store is up? Also, any word on PS1 support for US units yet, or is that still nowhere to be found?

I switched from:

PS Vita Wifi
32 gb Memory Card
HSG on PSN
Wipeout on PSN

to:

PS Vita 3g/wifi bundle with 8gb memory etc,etc.
HSG and Wipeout from Amazon for 30 bucks.

Overall, I probably won't use 3g unless I go through some huge lifestyle change that requires me to sit on a bus or something.

32gb of memory wouldn't be enough to go all digital for the life of the system, which diminishes the value of the premium. It's roughly 16 games at the moment, and the games could get bigger in the future. I still feel like I would be managing some data over the life of the system, so it's not worth the all-digital premium. It's a slight discount that doesn't beat retail at launch, and never will.

I rather wait for a discount 32gb card in the future just to hold a stack of games, or a 64 gb memory card for the same price that gives me a better chance to experience the true, cart-less experience in the future. 8gb is fine for managing a game and a few arcade titles. The launch day bundle makes that cart free, or the 36 a 10-20 add-on. That sits fine with me.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I use screen protector with everything not gorilla glass. I suck at putting them on so they always look like garbage. Then I got the hori 3ds one and it was the best one application-wise I've ever used. Their Vita one uses a similar system so I'm hoping for good things.

The one that's only 7 on Amazon you mean?

Ran rp

Wait, so you've been using a screen protector in all of the videos you upload to youtube? I would have never known one was there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom