• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Baba: Namco in very early phases of Tales for PS4, no plans for Xbox titles

Yes, Microsoft eventually gave up on Japan. However, I don't think it was for lack of effort. Microsoft was trying to work closely with Japanese developers since the launch of the original Xbox. Their problem was that they could never communicate effectively with Japanese publishers and developers and always came off as too western in how they conducted business in Japan.
This is actually a problem for Japanese people who've been educated in the west and return to Japan.

If Microsoft didn't have people who knew how to conduct themselves quite properly in business settings in Japan, they should have hired people who could. I do agree that they did a lot for advertising. But I feel that Microsoft could have gone further.

That article is certainly evidence of one of the many real problems in Japanese society. Work and school life in Japan is very restrictive and is difficult to cope with its rigidity. One of many reasons I don't want to life in Japan, despite my appreciation for many aspects of the culture. Japan seems like a better place to visit than to live and work in. I do hope that that the education and business life in Japan open up and become more comfortable. If anything is harming their birth-rate, it is Japan's very flawed business world.

I still think that Microsoft could have handled the whole situation better.

Guerilla

Holy crap, just read this. This is great news actually, didn't expect jRPGs this gen tbh the way things are going with Japanese devs.

Lumyst

Funny thing is that my induction into the Tales of series this year was due to DotNW and ToV (both games soooooo addictive). My induction to the Final Fantasy series was due to XIII (sooooooo "When will it end?" and a big letdown considering how I had the impression that Final Fantasy was the highest tier JRPG series all my life.) Microsoft is losing out if they think Final Fantasy was a win, Tales is the better one :p I have to think that Final Fantasy sold more on Xbox 360 than other JRPGs due to name, because I'm finding ToV and Lost Odyssey, hell, even Eternal Sonata to be much more enjoyable. Is it the story? The tone, the characters that I find attractive? The more "involved" gameplay? Well, in any case I was a part of the problem when it came to JRPGs on Xbox 360, but I actually didn't really care to try them until recently so who is to blame for being closed minded other than myself, sadly.

Soriku

Holy crap, just read this. This is great news actually, didn't expect jRPGs this gen tbh the way things are going with Japanese devs.

The way what is going? There are several JRPGs for PS3 coming out next year and a few more should be announced. These devs still making PS3 RPGs will move on to PS4 eventually. Tales especially should be a no-brainer.

The way what is going? There are several JRPGs for PS3 coming out next year and a few more should be announced. These devs still making PS3 RPGs will move on to PS4 eventually. Tales especially should be a no-brainer.
Mobile/portable. Most Japanese games in the last generation have been PSP/(3)DS titles.

Soriku

I just took a look at the site again and they updated the interview. No longer does it say what was stated in the OP. Here's what's said now:

VB: Are there currently any Tales games in development for the Playstation 4? Will there ever be any plans to bring the series to X-Box One?

HB: We are looking forward to developing for the next generation consoles, but we currently do not have anything in development at this time. I think we would like to focus our efforts on the Playstation 4 again, but we have no updates or news for you in regards to that at this time!

Uhh...what the fuck? Besides the old info being wrong the translation sounds awkward.

Soriku

Wow. I just saw this. Didn't MS buy the rights to Vesperia? I guess all MS cares about having is shooters.

No. You can blame Namco for not bringing over Vesperia PS3. It doesn't make sense for MS to buy any rights to Vesperia and barring it from a Western release when they didn't do the same for games like Star Ocean 4 or Eternal Sonata (also a Namco game).

Also, read one post above yours.

Fisico

No. You can blame Namco for not bringing over Vesperia PS3. It doesn't make sense for MS to buy any rights to Vesperia and barring it from a Western release when they didn't do the same for games like Star Ocean 4 or Eternal Sonata (also a Namco game).

Also, read one post above yours.

Well we can't be sure and we'll probably never know, it's a fact that Microsoft paid for some kind of exclusivity, what were the terms for the exclusivity is something that Bamco can't afford to say.

Soriku

Well we can't be sure and we'll probably never know, it's a fact that Microsoft paid for some kind of exclusivity, what were the terms for the exclusivity is something that Bamco can't afford to say.

Sure. I think there's more evidence into what I described though.

Datschge

Well we can't be sure and we'll probably never know

In NA ToV and ToS-R both came at a tail end of the previous Tales efforts after which there was a near 5 years gap until the next Tales game localized. In that time Hometek dropped Tales altogether and tried a completely different Westernised approach. Only because that failed the Tales series got picked up again, the Tales games released during that gap simply missed the localisation window.
I wish Hearts and Graces made it over on DS and Wii when those systems were still going strong.

Zachi

Banned
I guess kinda make sense for them not making Xbone version. Xbone non-existent in Japan and most of Xbone audience anywhere else just don't play JRPG.

MCD

I just took a look at the site again and they updated the interview. No longer does it say what was stated in the OP. Here's what's said now:

Uhh...what the fuck? Besides the old info being wrong the translation sounds awkward.

My rage tweet to Spencer worked.

QaaQer

Looks like PR contacted the site and had the quote changed. I still think the original quote has some validity.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
People still buy Tales games on consoles? I'm surprised.

I would not be as kind if I were a mod.

Tales is a console franchise. Would love it on PC but what in the world is this statement here without any logic.

Trolling or not it does nothing but derail a conversation.

Soriku

embedded_4f5ae5c9d08f5843148964.gif

smurfx

get some go again
i hope most japanese companies are thinking the same if they still depend on japanese game sales. many of these companies practically killed any future prospects for their i.p's by making it exclusive to xbox. if microsoft really wants a port of a game then they can always fund it.

Soriku

i hope most japanese companies are thinking the same if they still depend on japanese game sales. many of these companies practically killed any future prospects for their i.p's by making it exclusive to xbox. if microsoft really wants a port of a game then they can always fund it.

What was the last exclusive 360 JRPG? Over the course of the gen they've moved away from the 360 (exclusively) and if they were making a console exclusive it would be for PS3. Namco certainly thinks that's the way to go for Tales.

It would be a dream come true if I could buy Tales games on Steam.

Unfortunately, I feel like that dream is really far off. Tales games aren't even really multiplatform anymore.

Unfortunately, I feel like that dream is really far off. Tales games aren't even really multiplatform anymore.

I don't think that will ever happen.. its probably pretty much set it stone that Tales games will be featured on Sony consoles.. they don't even support 3DS it would seem.

We'd need the next Puzzle & Dragon, DQ and MH type of 'community shaker' titles to be a PC title, something that has the power to gravitate a very large part of the gaming community over to a singular platform, thus attracting 3rd parties back to PC.

Which is harder than a needle in a haystack, given that 90% of all development talent in Japan don't develop for PC anyway.

Soriku

We'd need the next Puzzle & Dragon, DQ and MH type of 'community shaker' titles to be a PC title, something that has the power to gravitate a very large part of the gaming community over to a singular platform, thus attracting 3rd parties back to PC.

Which is harder than a needle in a haystack, given that 90% of all development talent in Japan don't develop for PC anyway.

Even then there's no guarantee they'd put a mainline Tales on PC. Only way that'd happen is if their main fanbase (currently on Sony platforms) suddenly switched primarily to PC. Which would be very unlikely.

Fisico

In NA ToV and ToS-R both came at a tail end of the previous Tales efforts after which there was a near 5 years gap until the next Tales game localized. In that time Hometek dropped Tales altogether and tried a completely different Westernised approach. Only because that failed the Tales series got picked up again, the Tales games released during that gap simply missed the localisation window.
I wish Hearts and Graces made it over on DS and Wii when those systems were still going strong.

I think it's both
Hearts wouldn't have make it anyway, because 2D
We did have someone from Bamco who said it (and a few days after was forced to deny it, saying it was "a mistake on her side" which is kinda hard to believe) whether it's true or not they can't say anything else anyway since those kind of contracts have non disclosure aspects

Eusis

The only way this makes sense is if it's really a "People still buy Tales games?" post with a few unnecessary words.

... Which is still kind of dumb given that despite people's worst fears they actually do sell well enough for a company like Namco to bother localizing.

Datschge

We did have someone from Bamco who said it (and a few days after was forced to deny it, saying it was "a mistake on her side" which is kinda hard to believe) whether it's true or not they can't say anything else anyway since those kind of contracts have non disclosure aspects

I strongly doubt a lowly community manager, in a region that hadn't had any input at the time, was privy to contract details like that (assuming they existed at all). She was most likely simply wrong and spoke like many fans do.

It's Earth to Mars far off. They know their audience and where they are. Even if they were to put it on something else right now. You can bet the PS3 version will sell enough to make up for the other versions or even beat them combine.

Basically no incentive

Fisico

I strongly doubt a lowly community manager, in a region that hadn't had any input at the time, was privy to contract details like that (assuming they existed at all). She was most likely simply wrong and spoke like many fans do.

It was following the announcement of the localization of Graces F, localization which happened because erm... fans both America and Europe spammed the facebook pages of Namco.
The teasing of the localization also included the logo of Vesperia PS3 at some point, and in July 2011 a few japanese staff from Bamco went to Japan Expo in order to exchange with the local European staff. it wouldn't be that odd for a community manager to know (and I wouldn't say she was a "lowly community manager")

Anyway I just wanted to make my point and raise a possibility.

Sent you a MP btw, as there are some things I don't want to make public

It's Earth to Mars far off. They know their audience and where they are. Even if they were to put it on something else right now. You can bet the PS3 version will sell enough to make up for the other versions or even beat them combine.

Basically no incentive
I can't disagree.

As depressing as that is.
This is one of the reasons I'm actually rather happy that new consoles like the PlayStation 4 are so similar to the PC.

I want the industry to change. Because, as it works now, it's keeping most of my favourite franchises exclusive to certain platforms.

Soriku

I can't disagree.

As depressing as that is.
This is one of the reasons I'm actually rather happy that new consoles like the PlayStation 4 are so similar to the PC.

I want the industry to change. Because, as it works now, it's keeping most of my favourite franchises exclusive to certain platforms.

It's more of a matter of audience than platform IMO, especially with JRPGs. Even if the PS4 is like a PC, I think it's guaranteed that lots of JRPGs will skip PC due to the lack of an audience.

I don't think it will immediately move development of franchises like Tales to the PC, either.
But I'm hoping that it can be the seeds of a market change that one day may lead to the lack of importance of Sony consoles and consoles themselves.

With a similar architecture to the PC, that will be able to change the market at least ever so slightly, by tempting more developers to develop games as multiplatform.

There's a lot of market disruption from AMD, nVidia, and ARM right now that I hope leads to good things.

Top Bottom