• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer Online Shutting Down

Jetman

F2P might've been too expensive to implement considering how long they've labored as a traditional model. Probably have been in the red the whole time.

I'm surprised the producer didn't go into detail on this (the financials) more in that swan song letter. I would think Warhammer has enough of a fan base to keep this game solvent on a F2P model. Especially seeing everyone here mention how they were waiting on it to go free. I'm sure a lot more had the same idea. Hell, I'm waiting for FFXIV to go free (and I'll probably do the same with Elder Scrolls) - I'd love to play them, I just don't want to pay a monthly fee for an MMO when the market is awesomely saturated with so many great games.

On a side note - Is DAoC still on a pay to play monthly fee? The website doesn't seem to give details. There cant be THAT many people still playing it and I don't see EA pulling its plug.

Really? At least when I played at launch the hp bars didn't update accurately, cast animations weren't always sync'd to the cast bar (moving after you see your doom bolt fly but cast bar was still up would interrupt it), spamming a melee attack would cause your character to spaz out (really frustrating on combo classes since you'd hear the crunch of your builder attack multiple times, but only a couple of those actually counted). Charging and pet pathing was all kinds of broken the first few months.

I dont remember that from launch, but that was a long time ago and like I said, I have a bad memory :p. I do remember horrible pet pathing though.

I did play it again about 2 years ago, and those definitely weren't issues then (maybe the pet pathfinding still was, haha). It was massive fun in the ORvR areas.

GDGF

Soothsayer
215543608_oPsC3-L-2.jpg

This is one of my favorites. Love the description :)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Rune Priest for life. 1-20 was a shitload of fun. I'm glad that MMOs took bits and pieces from it because it introduced a lot of new things at the time.

Dysun

One of the most disappointing WoW-killers I ever tried. Didn't even make it through the first month, my Marauder is forever stuck in his level 30s

Rune Priest for life. 1-20 was a shitload of fun. I'm glad that MMOs took bits and pieces from it because it introduced a lot of new things at the time.

Too bad PQs have been done better anywhere else though. the GW2 ones are pretty good, I guess, but they lose a lot because the gameplay is just so spammy.

Is there nothing that can be sacrificed to keep it hanging on by a thread at the very least?

Gotta keep it alive.

By any means.

And so, once again, it is proven that EA (in this case, EA purchasing Mythic) are only good at ruining video games and their studios.

I remember the Paul Barnett blog videos. I was so hyped for this game. And then the studio got bought by EA and everything went to hell.

This was my first proper MMO and looking back I did really enjoy playing it with my brothers and all the people I made friends with.

Although I haven't played it in years, I think I'll miss it.

Burt

With this, and Ultima Forever being a complete dud, I wonder what's going to happen with Mythic......
I feel like Mythic is as much Mythic nowadays as Rare is Rare. Maybe MJ will bring over some vets if Camelot Unchained does well enough. He's probably got some old staff there already.

Blinck

I played it at launch and honestly I regretted buying it after playing for a couple of hours.
Just a very very janky game, badly optimized and IMO with a very bland art direction.
The game just didn't feel right for me.

However, like any other MMO there was a lot of hours of work put into it, so my respect goes to everyone that worked on the game and I hope that their future projects have a better outcome.

Cipherr

And they still have DAoC going right? I mean, wow at this coming and going while DAoC still chugs along. Its down to like one server now IIRC but still has a subscription fee lol. Man the old school games outliving these new ones is crazy.

One of the better mmo's I played in the last decade, I logged on not too long ago and it was pretty dead.

Technical Performance, Mirroring balance issues, and lack of end game made the game burn hard.

Savitar

I could swear this was offline for three years now, hearing it's just closing down is a bit of a shock.

I bought the CE long ago, pretty cool Ce, great book in there and it came with a miniature that at the time you couldn't get anywhere else. I remember hearing there was some bitching about that, miniatures are serious business. Did that ever become worth anything?

At the start of launch I dabbled in different classes to find what I would like but for all the cool things it did of course at launch there issues. A race or two were left without certain classes. Hell wasn't a starting zone or capital or two not done as well. Fairly sure.

Imbalances were there. Technical issues as with most. I can remember playing a Witch Hunter and using his gun it would fire a projectile in the form of a line more or less to your target.......I could outrun it or in front of it, you'd have this line from your gun thus trailing you. It looked so bad.

I remember hearing how a lot of issues and problems were pointed out only to be dismissed even as some people that associated with the powers that be were using exploits that were reported only to fall on deaf ears.

That and there was one problem that did hurt the game as well. It was ugly. No seriously it was ugly. It was behind what graphics can be and it showed. The rumor was that they wanted the game to look gritty and rough to echo a certain kind of feeling but in the end it all just looked behind where it should have been.

Some people hated you didn't dance....but I loved the special that replaced it.

That and I got fond memories of waiting for an event to trigger, being among dozens of other Orcs only to type in "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaagh" and have up to a dozen people do the same. It was fun and it made you feel part of something.

Hell I even bought that Red Alert game just to get that damnable Russian hat that turned you into a bear.

OpieOP

Banned
Should have been F2P right after Lord of the Rings Online announced theirs. Pitiful management of this game.

Effect

I really wish it didn't have to come to this. There is no reason why Warhammer Online couldn't have done well if they had just listened to the problems people had with the game as soon as it released and even while it was being developed. Then again when you get into bed with EA this is what happens and that likely is what ultimately killed the game from the start.

This is still amazing.

I still have my collectors edition, remember picking it up and looking at the art book while bowling Lol. great memories from WAR!

I still have mine sealed. I wanted to play it but never got around to it. Maybe I should sell it online now.

haha. I'll keep it as a reminder to never buy a collector's copy of an MMO unless you plan on playing the shit out of it.

Is there nothing that can be sacrificed to keep it hanging on by a thread at the very least?

Gotta keep it alive.

By any means.

I would not be surprised if EA had planned to shutdown the servers for a few years now and that the only reason why the servers have remained up is because of the contract that EA had with Games Workshop. It has been exactly 5 years since the game was officially released so the contract has most likely expired today, which is why the announcement was made.

The game had some good ideas and the first 15 or so levels were pretty fun but after that the world and the combat wasn't interesting enough to sustain it.

It had some pretty fundamental design flaws, the foremost being the fact that they designed a ton of public quests but spread people far and wide so much that after a certain level it was difficult to find enough people to do them.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Played it at launch with a bunch of friends as well, rushed 1-20 and got into the RvR stuff, then suddenly interest dropped off and we all left one by one...sad, I don't really know what happened to this day.

Bkey

Banned
It had some fun things like public quests with rankings. That was about it for me though. I thought the pvp idea was very flawed in its execution...it had some great ideas they just did not come together at all. At release the pve was about as big of a joke as you could get. The dungeons look like they where literally thrown together in a week untested. It took me a week and I was out and I think I was not alone in that.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Oh man I vividly remember Carrie interviewing Paul at that E3! cant believe that was in 06. She was laughing through the whole interview because how funny those 2 were

Why Games Workshop didn't cash in on it at their stores is bizarre.

They have everything else at their stores regarding Warhammer, so why not push for more gaming nights and bang out bunch of computers and desks for laptops on a Wednesday night.
Would make sense i thought... but too late!

Hrothgar

I still have the box on my desk. It was a decently fun game, but the combat was rough (always tons of latency issues/unresponsive mobs) and the higher level areas were just lacking. I did like the public quests, though, and it's nice that later MMOs adopted similar content.

espher

Could have been a fantastic game, but instead they focused on PVP End Game instead of Raiding, which is a shame due to all the established lore and the deep pool of villains/locations that could have really been used to flesh out a special end game raiding scene.

Respectfully disagree.

They "started" with a focus on the PvP End Game (nevermind that keeps and sieges were apparently a late implementation), but then they released neutered and weak content, implemented wacky balance changes, and the first major expansion was full of PvE content. Shit, even at launch the PvP End Game was "beat this PvE encounter to shut down their city for hours so you can PvE, and do well enough at this PvE and you can lock it down longer and do more PvE". The best gear for PvP for a long time (Tyrant, whatever the hell the Lost Vale set was, and even shit like 4pc Redeye for tanks) were PvE drops

If the focus HAD been on the PvP -- better balancing, Fortresses not being a mess, incorporating the other capital cities into the realm war -- it may have not tanked as hard. By the time they got back to PvP, and did some really good things with the city instance redesign and some interesting-if-flawed things as they did with Skaven, it was too late. The lack of haste in addressing problems at launch started the downward spiral and the PvE shift probably cemented it as inevitable.

I still loved it, though, even if some of the people PvPing were incredibly terrible. I remember my friend and I running a BG/DoK combo (me with 4pc Redeye and an armor debuff 1h proc, and him with the on-crit HD and the 4pc that gave AA haste) at level 33 chewing through people who were level 40 in Tyrant/Warlord or w/e.

Riposte

I enjoyed the little I played of it. But it's a REALLY tough market to succeed in. "You come at the King, you best not miss" and whatnot.

FFXIV should be shutting down in the next year, I'm guessing also.

Before or after they release it on PS4?

Surprised it lasted this long. I had a ton of fun with that game. Did a lot of the PVP right but the PVE wasn't anything special.

coughlanio

Man, I had so much fun at the launch of this game. Literally haven't touched it since those first few months, but man, it was pretty damn good.

Cels

I enjoyed the little I played of it. But it's a REALLY tough market to succeed in. "You come at the King, you best not miss" and whatnot.

FFXIV should be shutting down in the next year, I'm guessing also.

I don't know if any new game can use a subscription model these days. WoW is bleeding subscribers, and EVE is a special case since you can earn your subscription through in-game play. FFXIV could switch to a f2p model or b2p like Guild Wars 2 and have a lot of success though.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoyed it. It come out at a bad time though, when I was addicted to WoW. I went back later and loved what I played of it.

Kalnos

Banned
I enjoyed it. It come out at a bad time though, when I was addicted to WoW. I went back later and loved what I played of it.

Yep, it came out at the height of BC when WoW was still an excellent game.

Shame that it died. I'm more of a 40K guy but I worry for both 40K and fantasy video games right now.

Dec

I always hoped they would make this actual F2P, not the trial crap they have. Now both this and Wrath of Heroes are/will be gone.

Yep, it came out at the height of BC when WoW was still an excellent game.

Shame that it died. I'm more of a 40K guy but I worry for both 40K and fantasy video games right now.

Yea, it killed it for me. I played for a month at launch and went back. Not subbing to two $15 games and back then I was way too deep into to WoW.

Boerseun

Banned
The boxed release has been €1 in German stores for about a year now (with included content worth something like €20).

I havn't played it, but based on the price cut I have to assume it's been dead or dying for a long time now. Shame too, though. Warhammer has such rich potential for a MMORPG.

Top Bottom