• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you expect Pokémon remakes on Switch or just Virtual Console?

They should keep doing the regular remakes until they get to X/Y. Then they should start remaking the 3D games to make them look like the old pixel sprite based games.

brinstar

Theres something to be said about the first "home" console mainline game being a revisit of Kanto, especially when you consider the wave of nostalgia Pokemon Go has introduced. Switch seems to be a pop culture phenomenon similar to the Wii, a good way to sell software to those people that may have only played the first two gens is to update them.

You have to consider the rest of the franchise though. Anime, movies, TCG. Making the first gen 8 game a remake puts the whole machine on hold

Neoxon

Theres something to be said about the first "home" console mainline game being a revisit of Kanto, especially when you consider the wave of nostalgia Pokemon Go has introduced. Switch seems to be a pop culture phenomenon similar to the Wii, a good way to sell software to those people that may have only played the first two gens is to update them.
The Switch is a success so far, yeah, but to say that it's a Wii-tier cultural phenomenon is a bit pushing it right now (I say this as a Day 1 owner). And on top of TPC already pandering to Gen 1 nostalgia by a shit-ton already, the Pokémon GO hype has already died down. If this was the year of GO or maybe this year, you may have a point. But we're talking about 2019 (when the Switch game is likely to come out). Also, as brinstar said...
You have to consider the rest of the franchise though. Anime, movies, TCG. Making the first gen 8 game a remake puts the whole machine on hold

So I imagine we'll get the DP remake after Gen VIII hits on the Switch, so 2019/2020? I have no idea how it'll look on Switch but I imagine they'll base the DP remake on whatever it ends up being. Guessing fully 3D (with some locked cameras like Sun/Moon maybe?), could voice acting be a thing? Who knows. I reckon we'll still get them though, even if the need for them has dropped slightly since moving to DS onwards.

What I wouldn't mind seeing though, is another Red/Green remake, but not necessarily in 3D. Take FRLG but make it 1080p with updated sprites with more detailed maps, maybe even lose the grid. Have battles be similar to BW where they're fully animated but still 2D. I've always loved FRLG's bright and sharp aesthetics and would love to see that kind of game again. I reckon it'd complement the full 3D series quite well as an eShop only title.

hxdvnSY.png

Those colours would pop!
Doing new 2D sprites are expensive as hell in this day & age. Though porting Fire Red/Leaf Green to the Virtual Console would be a smart idea.

Forkball

I think a big reason for RBY/GS coming to the VC, besides the desire for boatloads of money, is that there was no way to trade up from the Game Boy games to Sun/Moon. Gen III is the earliest you can transfer, so the VC releases allow you to vicariously bring your cherished GB Pokes to the modern age.

This also ties in with Gen IV, as it's the only generation where you have to go through multiple steps to get your mons into the Bank. Gen I and II through the VC games, Gen III via ORAS, Gen V works directly with Poke Transporter, and VI and VII work directly with the bank. Gen IV is the odd man out HMMM...

So I imagine we'll get the DP remake after Gen VIII hits on the Switch, so 2019/2020? I have no idea how it'll look on Switch but I imagine they'll base the DP remake on whatever it ends up being. Guessing fully 3D (with some locked cameras like Sun/Moon maybe?), could voice acting be a thing? Who knows. I reckon we'll still get them though, even if the need for them has dropped slightly since moving to DS onwards.

What I wouldn't mind seeing though, is another Red/Green remake, but not necessarily in 3D. Take FRLG but make it 1080p with updated sprites with more detailed maps, maybe even lose the grid. Have battles be similar to BW where they're fully animated but still 2D. I've always loved FRLG's bright and sharp aesthetics and would love to see that kind of game again. I reckon it'd complement the full 3D series quite well as an eShop only title. EDIT: As some others have said in this thread, maybe even alter the storyline, add new things, have it be a re-imagining of sorts.

hxdvnSY.png

Those colours would pop!
This is exactly what I would want. I don’t really want the older games to be 3D. The sprites can look good on the switch screen with very little changes!

NeonZ

What I wouldn't mind seeing though, is another Red/Green remake, but not necessarily in 3D. Take FRLG but make it 1080p with updated sprites with more detailed maps, maybe even lose the grid. Have battles be similar to BW where they're fully animated but still 2D.

Even Black & White had to use streching and distortions for the sprite's movement, rather than actually drawn frames. They just aren't going back to 2d.

MoonFrog

I always really liked the core map conceit of D/P. Pokedex was so-so.

I only ever got to that iron island or whatever it was in the original.

Azuran

Banned
as long as they make Gen 1 + 2 remakes i'll buy them. those are the only good pokemon games after all.

lol

Do you guys think 50 years into the future there's going to be young people who grew up with Gen XXIV saying things like:

"It's only a matter time now until the Gen I/II fanboys finally die so maybe this franchise can finally stop the mindless pandering for people who haven't played a game in over 60 years?"

Generations 1 through 3? Sure, VC is definitely what they should be doing if they want to maximize sales there. For Generation 4 and onwards tho, they'd have to remake the games anyways, so yeah, Diamond and Pearl remakes on the Switch makes sense.

What I wouldn't mind seeing though, is another Red/Green remake, but not necessarily in 3D. Take FRLG but make it 1080p with updated sprites with more detailed maps, maybe even lose the grid. Have battles be similar to BW where they're fully animated but still 2D. I've always loved FRLG's bright and sharp aesthetics and would love to see that kind of game again. I reckon it'd complement the full 3D series quite well as an eShop only title. EDIT: As some others have said in this thread, maybe even alter the storyline, add new things, have it be a re-imagining of sorts.

A Pokemon game mixing their own sprite designs from Gen. 5 with the style present in games like Megaman Starforce, in a crisp 720p/1080p? Goddamn that would be amazing, and what I'd rather see for the franchise moving forward, tbh. No more chibi characters, no more grid based movement, but all the charm of the sprites. Battles can stay 3D if that's what GF would prefer. But I doubt GF would go with this sort of idea, unfortunately.

JoeM86

By the time it comes, GO will have been out for over 3 years and that hype would be dead.

It's not happening.

Wiped89

Laughing-pikachu-7443647-100-100.jpg

There's no way they will suddenly decide to make half as much money. The fact that they've been selling both games in collectors edition shows that they have no interest in stopping.

It's a myth that the games make twice as much with two versions. Everyone I know simply buys one version, usually depending on what people they know (friends, siblings) are going to get.

There's only going to be a select few (mostly Gaf types) who would buy both versions for themselves. Probably less than 10% is the same people buying both.

I'm a long-time, hardcore Pokemon fan since gen 1 and I've only ever bought one game from each pair (admittedly, my brother and best mate always buy the alternate one to me).

Malyse

It's a myth that the games make twice as much with two versions. Everyone I know simply buys one version, usually depending on what people they know (friends, siblings) are going to get.

There's only going to be a select few (mostly Gaf types) who would buy both versions for themselves. Probably less than 10% is the same people buying both.

I'm a long-time, hardcore Pokemon fan since gen 1 and I've only ever bought one game from each pair (admittedly, my brother and best mate always buy the alternate one to me).

"It's a myth"
"Here's my anecdotal evidence"

Sure Jan. They don't make more money making two versions of the game and that's why they keep on doing it. It's also why games like MegaMan Battle Network started splitting into versions and why the Fire Emblem Fate had two versions. And why they did Black 2/White 2 and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon instead or Gray and Stars.

For less profit.

JoeM86

"It's a myth"
"Here's my anecdotal evidence"

Sure Jan. They don't make more money making two versions of the game and that's why they keep on doing it. It's also why games like MegaMan Battle Network started splitting into versions and why the Fire Emblem Fate had two versions.

For less profit.

They may make a bit more money than they would have, but the vast majority of players on buy one. Come on now.

Just need to look at Platinum VS Black 2 & White 2
Platinum: 7.69 million
B2W2: 7.98 million

They split them to encourage trading etc., not because they're being money grabbing. That's the entire concept of it. If they were doing it to make money, there would be significant changes to encourage people to buy both a la Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons as opposed to this, at least in terms of Pokémon.

Malyse

They may make a bit more money than they would have, but the vast majority of players on buy one. Come on now.

Just need to look at Platinum VS Black 2 & White 2
Platinum: 7.69 million
B2W2: 7.98 million

They split them to encourage trading etc., not because they're being money grabbing. That's the entire concept of it. If they were doing it to make money, there would be significant changes to encourage people to buy both a la Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons as opposed to this, at least in terms of Pokémon.

I mean, if you really think this is about something other than money, knock yourself out. But it's about money.
A remake of Red and Blue on Switch would be nuts.

They should do a basic one to one remake in 3D and then introduce all the new stuff (megas, z-moves, etc) as lengthy post game content. Sort of like how Black and White did no old pokemon until you beat the game.

JoeM86

I mean, if you really think this is about something other than money, knock yourself out. But it's about money.

It's a game that got popular on the social aspects. They separated into two versions to promote trading, with the intent of people going out and playing with friends and making new friends.

It's not their fault if you have no friends.

Wiped89

Thanks Joe, you illustrate my point perfectly.

Yes, Malyse, two versions will make more money. I'm not refuting that. But not twice as much. Most people buy one or the other.

JoeM86

I see that we're resorting to personal attacks now.

Sorry, that's just the usual retort I bring when people try to make the claim it's only for money. I apologise.

However, you're ignoring the intent and the results. As I showed with the comparison of Platinum to Black 2 & White 2, going from one enhanced version to two didn't see an uptick in sales.

Only the hardcore enthusiast or lonely person gets both games, and even then it's not common anymore for the lonely due to online trading.

Kyzer

Banned
By the time it comes, GO will have been out for over 3 years and that hype would be dead.

It's not happening.

The core demographic still has growing purchase power, its still 90s kids season in terms of marketing. In fact if they are going to milk it for all its worth it would be before we all hit our 30s+. Also Pokemon Go does not dictate the development of Pokemon games, it sold because of the brand not the other way around. The window to remake Kanto one last time is still open, but that might be in USUM...

JoeM86

The core demographic still has growing purchase power, its still 90s kids season in terms of marketing. In fact if they are going to milk it for all its worth it would be before we all hit our 30s+. Also Pokemon Go does not dictate the development of Pokemon games, it sold because of the brand not the other way around. The window to remake Kanto one last time is still open, but that might be in USUM...

The window for a Kanto remake is always open. GO has no factor into it.

Neoxon

would be surprised if we didn't get diamond and pearl remasters next year
Obviously not, why would Game Freak’s first mainline Pokémon game on the Switch be remakes? I mean, we’ll likely get them, but not until after the actual Gen 8 games drop (maybe in 2019).

lupinko

When they do the GenIV remaster, I'm hoping for a Platinum remake instead of the inferior Diamond and Pearl version. Hopefully with the Switch they stop with the 2 version BS.

We all hope so, but Gamefreak is random and just makes things up as they go along. ORAS was more or less more like RS than Emerald.

But they could do a HGSS which were basically based on Crystal.

Big One

Banned
I've played every mainline game and remake in the entire series since release, and I have no desire to go back to either Kanto or Johto in remake form ever again. We already got perfect remakes in Fire Red/Leaf Green and Heart Gold/Soul Silver. There's nothing the regions will offer by remaking them with newer engines without drastically changing the feel and placement of these regions. Part of the appeal of Pokemon has always been what new things they introduce to the franchise, and retreading on familiar territory isn't going to do jack shit to help that.

I actually wouldn't mind some direct sequel to Red/Blue/Gold/Silver that takes place after Gen 2 set in the same regions, but remakes I'm really bleh on as a whole. Those entire regions need to be revamped to even be close to being as interesting or diverse as the locations in later gens.

Weebos

Banned
Assuming the virtual console releases are successful then I imagine we will get both.

Remakes will probably come first. I imagine Gen 8 will be similar to Gen 6.

Macka

I honestly wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if the first mainline game for Switch was a remake. I actually think it would be a pretty good idea.

GameFreak are not a particularly talented developer. They're going to struggle when dealing with new hardware as well as developing in HD for the very first time. If they have to come up with a new region, story, characters and everything else that goes into the creation of a brand new generation...I think Gen VIII would probably end up pretty poor.

Starting with a remake of Gen 1 or Gen 4 would lessen a lot of the work. They'd already have a rough outline of the story done. The region and map design would largely be done. Gym Leaders, characters, etc. - all done. There obviously wouldn't be new Pokemon, but maybe this would give them an opportunity to introduce a large batch of regional variants instead.

And then when the next brand new game arrives the following year, they'd have the engine and everything sorted and ready to go. They'd be comfortable developing for the system. I think it'd definitely result in a better Gen VIII.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Remakes first then the gen 3 games on virtual console, though I wonder how they will handle gen 4 and 5 on virtual console since they heavily used the duel screen set up.

As for a gen 1 remake, I can see it happen just not for a long time as we recently just got the original games on virtual console and they can easily release the gen 3 Kanto remake on virtual console before doing a full blown 3D remake

Hopefully with the Switch they stop with the 2 version BS.

Yeah that won't be happening.

FireRed/LeafGreen are technically older than Diamond/Pearl.

There will be another set of Gen I remakes before Gen 4. In fact, I fully expect it to be the first Pokemon games on Switch, before Gen 8.

Diamond and Pearl remake will not be the first Pokémon game on the Switch and there have more hints and tease that the Sinnoh games are next in line for the remake treatment.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if the first mainline game for Switch was a remake. I actually think it would be a pretty good idea.

GameFreak are not a particularly talented developer. They're going to struggle when dealing with new hardware as well as developing in HD for the very first time. If they have to come up with a new region, story, characters and everything else that goes into the creation of a brand new generation...I think Gen VIII would probably end up pretty poor.

Starting with a remake of Gen 1 or Gen 4 would lessen a lot of the work. They'd already have a rough outline of the story done. The region and map design would largely be done. Gym Leaders, characters, etc. - all done. There obviously wouldn't be new Pokemon, but maybe this would give them an opportunity to introduce a large batch of regional variants instead.

And then when the next brand new game arrives the following year, they'd have the engine and everything sorted and ready to go. They'd be comfortable developing for the system. I think it'd definitely result in a better Gen VIII.

Due to the nature of Pokémon being a multimedia franchise we know full well that the first main series Pokémon game will not be a remake, it will be gen 8 with the Sinnoh remake coming later down the line when the generation is starting to wind down.

dyreschlock

I think putting FireRed and LeafGreen on Switch's Virtual Console (or whatever) would probably make more sense than another full on remake. Then they'd be able to cover Gen I on the Switch.

Would people really want a full-on modern 3D remaster of Gen I at this point?

Wiseblade

My hope is that GameFreak use Platinum as a base for the Sinnoh remake and incorporate more of the design choices made in Generation VII. Sinnoh was the peak of HM slave nonsense, emphasised by all the backtracking through Mount Coronet. The game would be vastly improved by adopting an approach similar to Ride Pokémon. The only change I'd make is requiring you to catch and assign a particular Pokémon for each task. It'd add a lot of personality to what is effectively otherwise a key.

Go is no longer as hot as it was but the userbase has stabilized. It was responsible for doubling TPC's profit last fiscal year compared to other years when they released a mainline game even though they only get a third of the share. If that continues then the TPC has no choice but to accommodate and integrate those users somehow.

JoeM86

Go is no longer as hot as it was but the userbase has stabilized. It was responsible for doubling TPC's profit last fiscal year xompared to other years when they released a mainline game even though they only get a third of the share. If that continues then the TPC has no choice but to accommodate and integrate those users somehow.

Yes by enticing them into the main games. However, GO isn't just the original 151 Pokémon so the narrative of Kanto, which isn't even in GO, being a way to lure them in is illogical

My hope is they allow Niantic to make the battle system more complex (instead of just click spamming) and let you import and export Pokemon you get from playing Pokemon Go into the main games and vice versa.

Would people really want a full-on modern 3D remaster of Gen I at this point?

I think all Pokemon fans need to understand that Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow are important games because they started a global phenomenon. Poke-fever was freaking insane when these games came out. Everywhere you looked, Pokemon was there. Pokemon merchandise was in nearly every store you could ever go to. It rocketed the games to a level of success which has allowed for a long and very healthy life for the franchise.

If I were Gamefreak, I'd be proud of Gen 1 too. I'd want to honor it, include references to in future games, create remakes of the older games to re-introduce it to new fans, etc. It's about the legacy. I see this "genwun pandering" whining all the time on this forum and all over youtube video comment sections. And yes, there is a vocal collection of shitty gen 1 fans who will come in and say "there's nothing else of merit beyond gen 1" and those people do suck. I totally agree with you, because there is so much to love beyond just the original 151. But seriously, just ignore those people. Don't waste negative energy feeding trolls. But with that said, there's nothing wrong with Gamefreak wanting to continually celebrate the games that started it all for them. And I think a lot of fans also want to contribute to that celebration. So don't let the people who can't see past gen 1 sour your experience.

I mean few franchises have reached the heights that Pokemon did in the 90s. The developers are probably very proud of that. And a lot of fans do remember that time fondly. Gen 1 IS the backbone of Pokemon and the foundation of everything that we all love today.

Try and accept that it will always be a celebrated thing and that it is special to the developers and many fans and I think you'll have a much less stressful time.

Last thing I'll say is that not everyone who enjoys gen 1 and has fond memories of it is a "genwunner." Myself, I love all gens for different reasons, but I do love the region of Kanto for its vibe, the older art style that came with the guides and booklets, the wonderfully catchy music, and the Pokemon designs which do include some of my favorites. I don't want to be looked at negatively by the pokemon community here just because I love the older gens and would get excited if they remade Red/Blue again. I'm completely rambling at this point but I guess all im saying is you can have an affinity for gen 1 and the poke-fever era and not be a "genwunner" negative nancy type of fan, you know?

Crayolan

Yes, I'm 100% expecting gen 4 remakes on Switch after the first set of gen 8 games.

We're not getting a Platinum remake. We'll get Adamant Diamond and Lustrous Pearl which will loosely integrate Platinum's plotline and also remove the battle frontier.

I'm expecting this but I'm reaaaaally hoping not. I would buy a Platinum remake, I would not buy DP remakes.

Remake Gen 1 and Gen 2 Pokemon *drools*

These already got remade. I like gen 1 and 2 too but we don't need remakes of remakes.

Top Bottom