• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China Central Bank orders Banks to stop doing business with North Korea

Moff

seems pretty big
I am surprised China would let North Kora die, they will have a Nato base at their front door in no time.

Is this anything different from the sanctions that were implemented 2 weeks ago? Sounds like are implementing the agreed to measures.

North Korea is pretty much dependent on China in order to exist. The past sanctions all had China not participate in any significant way or were marginal due to China's veto in the UN, but now China is straight up taking the cashflow away from NK.
This is enormous.

seems pretty big
I am surprised China would let North Kora die, they will have a Nato base at their front door in no time.

North Korea being a buffer state between China and the US-allied SK/Japan is very much China's goal, which is why NK has been kept on life support for so long. However, as pointed out before, North Korea's antics have increased the dangers to China both directly via a potential nuclear war right at their borders plus tons of refugees, and indirectly through other countries (esp. Japan) moving to bulk up their military, thus threatening China's regional dominance.

It's very much in China's interest to keep North Korea on a short leash, but still alive.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If you subscribe to the theory that Trump would provoke a war in order to deflect from the Mueller investigation, then it is plausible that Rocket Man might provoke a war to avoid the risk of a coup, if that was a possible outcome of tightening sanctions and economic paucity.

Just food for thought, but you have to consider every angle.

Not that plausible when direct acts of war would lead to a 100% chance of Kim getting smoked. The citizens of North Korea have been starving for decades and they haven't couped jack shit.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is this anything different from the sanctions that were implemented 2 weeks ago?

Yes. China is slapping North Korea and telling them to sit the F down.

I suspect that the recent "improvements" in their ballistic and yield capabilities are actually being lubricated by an outside actor. Not China. There's only one nuclear-capable nation that benefits from NK being a pain in the ass right now. See also Cuban diplomats.

China doesn't like either the brinksmanship, nor the influence of that other nation.

China realizes that the NK buffer is less and less useful as relationships are (relatively) normalizing with Asian and Western nations via capitalism, and the risks are now outweighing the benefits.

But they helped make this mess and have limited options. They don't want war. they don't want a humanitarian catastrophe. they don't want reunification. I think they are unhappy with the fat idiot they helped cement in place.

The only way for a coup to succeed in NK would be if the generals get guarantees from China. China would rather annex than allow a reunification, but I have no idea what that could look like in a decade.

CazTGG

They don't need full militarize japan. Just legalize nuke creation is more than enough to threaten China as region super power. They have technology and ability to build that within the short time if need be + support from US. Why would China want a more powerful Japan?

To add to this, South Korea may choose to create their own nuclear weapons if they feel threatened by North Korea and don't believe they can rely on the U.S. for their safety. In two words: Nuclear proliferation.

4Tran

Is a japanese military force really a big threat for China? I guess that after all this years they are still way behind their full potential, and even then, I dont know if a country with way density and labd could be a threat to one of the most powerful countries in the world
Yes and no. In general, the JMSDF is technologically superior to the PLAN, but the limits to their employment and their smaller size means that the former isn't going to be a proper threat to the latter any time in the near future. However, an expanded Japanese military and a loosening of the Japanese constitution means that China will have to divert forces and other resources to account for their greater capability. Moreover, it serves as a potential threat for the next few decades, so that's something that China would prefer to avoid.

However, most of the Japanese buildup is a response to the the growth of the PLAN and not to North Korea's actions. And China is ever interested in sustaining that military expansion despite doing so at the cost of a naval race in East Asia.

I seriously doubt that China has been happy about what's been going on with NK. If a war breaks out with the US, China will suffer from great loses and even maybe nuclear fallout. Another big thing is off course a refugee crisis that make the Syrian war look like child's play. China is the only country that has the influence and power to stop NK without the whole region turning into shit.
I don't think that China expects a war to break out, but the possibility will have to enter their calculations at some point. But that's going to be more pointed at the US than it is at North Korea because North Korea is a more predictable actor.

I suspect that the recent "improvements" in their ballistic and yield capabilities are actually being lubricated by an outside actor. Not China. There's only one nuclear-capable nation that benefits from NK being a pain in the ass right now. See also Cuban diplomats.
The most likely suspect is Ukraine. They have ballistic missile experience and they need the money. For nuclear capability, the culprit is more likely to be Pakistan.

kmfdmpig

They don't need full militarize japan. Just legalize nuke creation is more than enough to threaten China as region super power. They have technology and ability to build that within the short time if need be + support from US. Why would China want a more powerful Japan?

Japan is not interested in building nuclear weapons. The public approval to do so would be in the single digits.
They already have a strong navy and air force, I suspect that those growing significantly would be China's real worry, not Japan building nuclear weapons.

If you subscribe to the theory that Trump would provoke a war in order to deflect from the Mueller investigation, then it is plausible that Rocket Man might provoke a war to avoid the risk of a coup, if that was a possible outcome of tightening sanctions and economic paucity.

no

a war with the US would lead to his death and end of regime, guaranteeing a "coup"

avoiding a risk of a coup would mean executing people internally

Kuros

The most likely suspect is Ukraine. They have ballistic missile experience and they need the money. For nuclear capability, the culprit is more likely to be Pakistan.

I'm pretty sure the poster was referring to the Russians.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
My God, did this administration actually do something right?

No. This is more likely due to North Korea's flaunting of their nuclear weapons and how it may lead to proliferation across the region. Remember that China doesn't want them to have nukes either, they just want North Korea to exist as it has since the war: a huge buffer zone between them and the nearest US military base.

no

a war with the US would lead to his death and end of regime, guaranteeing a "coup"

avoiding a risk of a coup would mean executing people internally

Exactly, we've already seen what him avoiding a coup looks like when he killed his brother(?) in Indonesia(?). It'd be assassinations of general and family members, not nuclear war.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
No. This is more likely due to North Korea's flaunting of their nuclear weapons and how it may lead to proliferation across the region. Remember that China doesn't want them to have nukes either, they just want North Korea to exist as it has since the war: a huge buffer zone between them and the nearest US military base.

That's always been the case for a long time now. One thing that's changed is the new administration framing the North Korea issue as China's responsibility and tying it to their national pride.

what if Russa invades NK.

What if space aliens give us Half Life 3?

SRG01

There are a lot of factors at play, but the biggest one is that North Korea's actions (and Kim Jong-un's in particular) have been ticking off China. And this is largely independent of what they're doing to rile up Japan and the US, as the most egregious act to date was the assassination of Kim Jong-un's brother.

There was also speculation that China was the one who was sheltering his brother, so NK's assassination of him was in direct opposition to China's interests.

I would imagine he feels it's reaching a breaking point. They either do something to deal with NK now or they deal with the impending war on their border.

Yep, they in no way want a unified Korea on their border and to deal with the massive refugee program.

They have to be proactive here as they are the only ones keeping the regime afloat.

trembli0s

Exactly, we've already seen what him avoiding a coup looks like when he killed his brother(?) in Indonesia(?). It'd be assassinations of general and family members, not nuclear war.

IMO it seems that the lack of a true NK threat would simply allow the US to pull troops out of the ROK. What the ROK's calculation with respect to a US withdrawal is another matter though. They seem happy to criticize the US publicly while encouraging the main bulk of military activity that China finds threatening to their interests.

I'd argue a neutered NK would be better for China as it decreases the likelihood of a Japanese military buildup and increases American public pressure to pull troops and bases from the ROK.

TarNaru33

Banned
Is a japanese military force really a big threat for China? I guess that after all this years they are still way behind their full potential, and even then, I dont know if a country with way density and labd could be a threat to one of the most powerful countries in the world

Japan is literally one of the most powerful countries in the world too, you know.

Syriel

China would rather annex than allow a reunification, but I have no idea what that could look like in a decade.

I can see the statement from Xi now...

"We are proud to announce the re-integration of North Korea as a part of greater China. This historic land has ALWAYS (we just edited the maps and updated Wikipedia last night!) been a part of China, and having it split off for so long has lead to many sad nights on both sides of the illegitimate border."

gconsole

The third biggest economy in the world with the support from the biggest and most powerful country in the world. Sure.

Majine

Banned
If China is doing this, I'm anxious about the situation.

If NK is actually driven into a corner this time who knows what they'll do. I don't think they'll back down. Their whole existence is based around giving the middle finger to America.

kirblar

Yes. China is slapping North Korea and telling them to sit the F down.

China doesn't like either the brinksmanship, nor the influence of that other nation.

China realizes that the NK buffer is less and less useful as relationships are (relatively) normalizing with Asian and Western nations via capitalism, and the risks are now outweighing the benefits.

But they helped make this mess and have limited options. They don't want war. they don't want a humanitarian catastrophe. they don't want reunification. I think they are unhappy with the fat idiot they helped cement in place.

The only way for a coup to succeed in NK would be if the generals get guarantees from China. China would rather annex than allow a reunification, but I have no idea what that could look like in a decade.
Either annexation or reunification would likely result in net QoL increases for the residents, but the logistics of making either happen are incredibly difficult.

FStubbs

He'd lose his country though. There's no scenario where he starts a war and is still dictator of North Korea within a year.

FStubbs

But the Russians don't make any sense though. They don't need the money from North Korea, and they're invested in deescalation in the Korean Peninsula.

Are you sure? Russia seems invested in escalating tensions and destabilizing anywhere where it can weaken the influence of the West, Japan, (and further down the list) and China.

4Tran

Are you sure? Russia seems invested in escalating tensions and destabilizing anywhere where it can weaken the influence of the West, Japan, (and further down the list) and China.
Positive. The last thing Russia wants is to have a war break out in the Korean Peninsula, and having more nuclear powers would reduce their overall security. Just because Russia may seem to want to rile up their rivals, they don't gain enough from doing so to make it worth selling their ballistic missile technology. Ukraine is in a totally different situation because they're too far away to be affected if Korean War 2.0 explodes.

Oh, and Russia doesn't really give a damn about Japan. If anything, they're actually angling for closer relations.

I can see China annex north Korea if the US will act even more aggressively.

Then demand south Korea boot out the US army bases from its lands, if they want a unified Korea again. No way that China would want a USA based unified Korea at their border unless they want to stay contained a couple of more decades.

Mr Swine

Banned
So what if NK becomes more desperate and unhinged? Won’t they just continue to make bigger and bigger nukes despite having sanctions on them?

Sulik2

Its far too late for China to get on board. All NK has to do now is say fine we are nuking Seoul if you don't let your banks do business with us and the world will capitulate.

brian577

Banned
I can see China annex north Korea if the US will act even more aggressively.

Then demand south Korea boot out the US army bases from its lands, if they want a unified Korea again. No way that China would want a USA based unified Korea at their border unless they want to stay contained a couple of more decades.

South Korea would tell them to shove it. Unification is becoming less and less desirable. Nobody wants to deal with millions of brain washed citizens and the cost of bringing a country stuck in the 60s to the 21st century.

Oh man, are they gonna stop buying coal too.

This was one of the things Poligaf told me never would happen, so what if they stop buying coal?

I mean they are already starving, but I kinda hope all these sanctions make them reconsider their recent choices and stances.

That said I'm not confident in the ever increasing insanity of the current reality.

Xi doesn't give a shit about NK having nukes.
Xi doesn't give a shit about NK dickwaving with Trump.

Xi DOES care about NK giving Japan (specifically Abe's party) a solid reason to rewrite their Constitution and allow for a full military.

Japan with a full military (not a limited defensive military) would be a challenge to Chinese regional rule.

NK is setting the region on the path to making that happen.

Oh please, Japan should just rewrite their constitution and get it over with. Japan has had the highest military budget in Asia for decades. Who care if they call their army "army" or "self defense force."

koutoru

It's interesting to see how strained the relationship between China and NK is right now vs how it was in the 1970s and 80s under Kim Il Sung.

Xe4

Banned
Good. There's no reasonable solution to North Korea destabilization that doesn't involve China stepping up to the plate in a big way.

shira

South Korea would tell them to shove it. Unification is becoming less and less desirable. Nobody wants to deal with millions of brain washed citizens and the cost of bringing a country stuck in the 60s to the 21st century.

Aren't the people just playing along with the ruse?

Aren't the people just playing along with the ruse?
No, but it doesn't matter. Germany had a hard time bringing back the East and still does to this day and they were in much better shape than North Korea. Having a unified Korea would be devasting to the South and be very difficult to pull off. They would have major issues for decades if they try to unify. It's good in theory but the economic difference is unbelievable wide.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Oh man, are they gonna stop buying coal too.

This was one of the things Poligaf told me never would happen, so what if they stop buying coal?

I mean they are already starving, but I kinda hope all these sanctions make them reconsider their recent choices and stances.

That said I'm not confident in the ever increasing insanity of the current reality.

Welcome to 5 months ago.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=230561159
BEIJING — China will suspend all imports of coal from North Korea until the end of the year, the Commerce Ministry announced Saturday, in a surprise move that would cut off a major financial lifeline for Pyongyang and significantly enhance the effectiveness of U.N. sanctions.

Poligaf says a lot of things.

Talamius

This is a really big deal if it's actually enforced. As stated earlier in the thread, China does not want THAAD on the peninsula, they do not want a stronger Japanese military and they certainly do NOT want a nuclear arms race in the region.

Now the question is how far does Putin go to prop up the regime.

Top Bottom