• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramyeon

Persona 5 breaking street date in places in the US is crushing.

I can't remember the last time a notable release had a broken street date here.

We don't have mom & pop shops here any more unfortunately :(

How does the review work? If nothing about the game has changed, why should the review have a different outcome the second time around? Was there a procedural problem the first time, where they hadn't ticked a box they needed to tick?

Basically they all come together and discuss the original issue in more depth. Go through in more detail.

Games are messy and complex, looking at a snapshot creates false impressions. I mean fuck, look at all the shit ME Andromeda got based on very tiny snapshots of a massive RPG. That's a great example. Otherwise think about the times you played a game without any issues but read online tons of people had glitches.

Very different beast than a static medium like TV/movies.

In any case like I originally said. Far Cry 3 set a precedent. They could've brought that up in the review.

How does the review work? If nothing about the game has changed, why should the review have a different outcome the second time around? Was there a procedural problem the first time, where they hadn't ticked a box they needed to tick?

Basically they all come together and discuss the original issue in more depth. Go through in more detail.

Games are messy and complex, looking at a snapshot creates false impressions. I mean fuck, look at all the shit ME Andromeda got based on very tiny snapshots of a massive RPG. That's a great example. Otherwise think about the times you played a game without any issues but read online tons of people had glitches.

Very different beast than a static medium like TV/movies.

In any case like I originally said. Far Cry 3 set a precedent. They could've brought that up in the review.

I'm still absolutely bewildered that Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number stayed RC'd. I've gone on about how ridiculous the ruling is in length. Guess it isn't as 'mainstream' as Outlast 2 so there wasn't as much uproar.

Rezbit

That's really interesting that it got successfully reviewed, it actually seemed like a pretty full on scene. I'm all for adults being able to choose though, and surely R18+ fits that.

Also anywhere to get Persona 5 that isn't a gazillion dollars?

I'm still absolutely bewildered that Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number stayed RC'd. I've gone on about how ridiculous the ruling is in length. Guess it isn't as 'mainstream' as Outlast 2 so there wasn't as much uproar.
They didn't review the decision or submit another version. As soon as they got RC they just told people to pirate and moved on.

mandiller

Any other Ausgaf Switch owners? I just got one yesterday. Fantastic device. I need a few more online friends though so feel free to add me :)

SW-5651-7981-1023

Rezbit

Any other Ausgaf Switch owners? I just got one yesterday. Fantastic device. I need a few more online friends though so feel free to add me :)

SW-5651-7981-1023

Added you! And yep, it certainly feels quality, much more so than Wii U. Looking forward to the couple of hours of Splatoon 2 on the weekend.

They didn't review the decision or submit another version. As soon as they got RC they just told people to pirate and moved on.

Yeah I know that Devolver didn't resubmit it, but I also don't think that Red Barrel's (Outlast 2 pub) had resubmitted their game, I thought the Board just decided to review it. But word's coming in that it IS actually a modified version we're getting afterall so idk.

Yeah I know that Devolver didn't resubmit it, but I also don't think that Red Barrel's (Outlast 2 pub) had resubmitted their game, I thought the Board just decided to review it. But word's coming in that it IS actually a modified version we're getting afterall so idk.

Outlast 2 is self published, Devolver aren't involved. WB are actually distributing the retail copies for them. The local distributor they are using is 18point2, who are the WB distributor.

18point2 have given conflicting statements to several media outlets. They've also basically gone silent so until one of them feel like making a proper public statement it will be hard to know what the developers have actually done.

Like I said previously, it's very easy to snip something in the scene to appease the board since there is plenty of time to test it before launch. The only issue would be the retail release but I'm not even sure when that is coming out. The distributor also specifically asked the board NOT to release the report until today, on the weekend. Which is very odd for obvious reasons. So I'm leaning towards worldwide edit similar to Fallout 3.

The joys of paying someone to handle marketing and PR!

Jintor

Speaking of walking in to stores, why the fuck can't I find a case for my Switch literally anywhere?

are you sure you don't want to pay $40 at EB games tho

i want a case, but not $40 badly. I'll make do with my crappy two-bag solution for a while

Jintor

anecdotally the thing places are running out of is the actual games. i visited a few JBs in the city looking for a case and two of them were out of Zelda and 1-2 switch

anecdotally the thing places are running out of is the actual games. i visited a few JBs in the city looking for a case and two of them were out of Zelda and 1-2 switch

Don't seem to be sending out stock, same issue as why Bomberman got delayed at retail. Might be production issues due to the carts.

Quasar

Right. Big W does seem to be out of their Zelda bundle. At least their online store.

Cerity

Spent all day ikea'ing.

Bed frame, cube shelf, dining table & chairs - all good.

A chest of drawers - Jesus fuck I never want to see a cheap flatpack set of these ever again. It took me longer than all of the above combined.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So I'm seeing Cirque Du Soleil tonight, Pretty sure it's the last show they are doing in Melbourne.

Has anyone been before? Do I need anything specific etc etc?

Dead Man

B7vb7dL.jpg

How is that feels like temp possible in the middle of the night? Fuck this city sometimes.

Edit: bloody hell, now the feels like is 39.5 lol. Late March in Adelaide. Woo.

N0VAM0D

Hey AusGAF, hope you're all well!

I'm (finally) heading to Japan tomorrow bright and early, and I'm nervous as hell. I thought I might see if anyone could give me any advice regarding ways to calm myself on the flight. News of the cyclone in north QLD isn't making my fears any better, that's for sure :(((( like is there anything I can pick up at the chemist over the counter or whatever that will help me freak out less? pls

Also, in regards to using the internet while away, I was thinking of just using international roaming on the Vodafone network. Anyone used this before and can vouch for its reliability? Was gonna grab a pocket wifi, but I probably won't use it enough to justify the cost. Thanks!

and to anyone in the region where the cyclone is predicted to hit, please stay safe ❤️

I'm (finally) heading to Japan tomorrow bright and early, and I'm nervous as hell. I thought I might see if anyone could give me any advice regarding ways to calm myself on the flight. News of the cyclone in north QLD isn't making my fears any better, that's for sure :(((( like is there anything I can pick up at the chemist over the counter or whatever that will help me freak out less? pls
Are you just nervous about the trip, or the actual flight?

Shaneus

Also, in regards to using the internet while away, I was thinking of just using international roaming on the Vodafone network. Anyone used this before and can vouch for its reliability? Was gonna grab a pocket wifi, but I probably won't use it enough to justify the cost. Thanks!

and to anyone in the region where the cyclone is predicted to hit, please stay safe ❤️
My wife takes Travacalm (I think it's the one with the red writing, there's two different ones) and I think it seems to help. I'd try that, bring some headphones and try some relaxation techniques if you can (mindfullness is my jam, personally).

N0VAM0D

Sorry, I can't really be of much help there, I love flying! I get all excited like a little kid during takeoffs :)

This might be the least helpful post of all time.

What excites you about it? I think it could be helpful hearing what others love about flying, it might help me see some positives through all the bad thoughts I have clouding my mind!

My wife takes Travacalm (I think it's the one with the red writing, there's two different ones) and I think it seems to help. I'd try that, bring some headphones and try some relaxation techniques if you can (mindfullness is my jam, personally).

Thank you! I'll try seeing if I can find that today. I've got lots of music so I should be good on that front, hopefully I can just listen to some tunes and catch some zzz.

hirokazu

What excites you about it? I think it could be helpful hearing what others love about flying, it might help me see some positives through all the bad thoughts I have clouding my mind!
How many times have you flown, long distance and domestic? I take it at least long distance you don't fly that often?

Let me tell you the biggest annoyance with long distance is how uncomfortable it can be, though that depends on what aircraft you get and how old or new the interior fitout is.

It's okay to have anxiety about flying because of all the mishaps you read about and stuff, and sometimes I get it before a flight too. But the chances of it happening are minute. Look up the micromort, it really puts into perspective how safe flying is. And I don't really get that anxiety while on the flight. I'm usually looking forward to getting off at the destination.

Bring something to do while on the flight. You might have a good airline and aircraft with a load of in-flight movies to choose from, but a Switch or 3DS to pass the time is a good idea regardless. Keeping yourself occupied is a good way to pass the time.

I hate overnight flights because I get shit sleep, but maybe get a prescription for sleeping pills if you're going overnight. Otherwise, if you can spare the money, pay the extra to go business if that helps make you more comfortable with the flight.

Aircraft are wonders of human engineering! I've lived under the flight path in Sydney for about 10 years now, but I still stop and watch every time a plane flies overhead.

Takeoffs are awesome because you get a feel for the real power of the aircraft. The feeling as you wait at the end of the runway, and you hear them throttle up the engines and you get pushed into the back of your seat as the cabin rattles and shakes as you haul arse down the runway, then the feeling as the nose comes up and the rear landing gears get loaded up and you sink momentarily before you start moving upwards, and the rattling stops and everything becomes smooth as you leave the ground... amazing.

You've got quite a high angle of attack for a little while as they quickly gain altitude, and they'll roll the plane to get it on the right heading as quickly as possible, and if you're lucky you might get a nice view of the city below for a little bit... but then you'll level out, and the real problem with flying will kick in: boredom.

Have you looked up how much roaming costs? Not sure about Vodafone but I feel like it can cost a lot using even a little bit sometimes

N0VAM0D

How many times have you flown, long distance and domestic? I take it at least long distance you don't fly that often?

Let me tell you the biggest annoyance with long distance is how uncomfortable it can be, though that depends on what aircraft you get and how old or new the interior fitout is.

It's okay to have anxiety about flying because of all the mishaps you read about and stuff, and sometimes I get it before a flight too. But the chances of it happening are minute. Look up the micromort, it really puts into perspective how safe flying is. And I don't really get that anxiety while on the flight. I'm usually looking forward to getting off at the destination.

Bring something to do while on the flight. You might have a good airline and aircraft with a load of in-flight movies to choose from, but a Switch or 3DS to pass the time is a good idea regardless. Keeping yourself occupied is a good way to pass the time.

I hate overnight flights because I get shit sleep, but maybe get a prescription for sleeping pills if you're going overnight. Otherwise, if you can spare the money, pay the extra to go business if that helps make you more comfortable with the flight.

I've been flying once in my whole life and that was a trip to Greece when I was 11 and didn't really know any better, so I hadn't even considered planes being dangerous. As I got older I just got more and more apprehensive about them, and now I'm just totally afraid of flying. I know I can do it though, I just need to focus and breathe.

Thanks so much for the link and advice, though now I'm wishing I had a 3DS to take with me!

Aircraft are wonders of human engineering! I've lived under the flight path in Sydney for about 10 years now, but I still stop and watch every time a plane flies overhead.

Takeoffs are awesome because you get a feel for the real power of the aircraft. The feeling as you wait at the end of the runway, and you hear them throttle up the engines and you get pushed into the back of your seat as the cabin rattles and shakes as you haul arse down the runway, then the feeling as the nose comes up and the rear landing gears get loaded up and you sink momentarily before you start moving upwards, and the rattling stops and everything becomes smooth as you leave the ground... amazing.

You've got quite a high angle of attack for a little while as they quickly gain altitude, and they'll roll the plane to get it on the right heading as quickly as possible, and if you're lucky you might get a nice view of the city below for a little bit... but then you'll level out, and the real problem with flying will kick in: boredom.

Ahh, I've lived under that flight path before too and I can admit I've had the same moments of looking up in sheer amazement at such a genuinely insane piece of tech. I guess that is another super positive way to look at it that I havent considered recently! Thank you.

And yeah, boredom will likely be huge after the spook wears off. I got some in flight entertainment just because it wasn't much extra, but apart from that I've only really got my iPhone... maybe I'll buy something else to take with me before I head off. Currently on the train to Sydney, so I'll see when I get there!

N0VAM0D

Have you looked up bow much roaming costs? Not sure about Vodafone but I feel like it can cost a lot using even a little bit sometimes

I ended up just going with it because it's only $5 for each 24 hour block that you activate it which is pretty neat. My current plan has more data than I'll need for the month anyway, so I should be fine! And all of my hostels have wifi so that's also another reason I decided not to bother with the pocket wifi. A lot of hassle for something I won't use toooo much of.

Dryk

I agree with all of this, takeoff and landing are rad as hell but cruise is boring as fuck.

I ended up just going with it because it's only $5 for each 24 hour block that you activate it which is pretty neat. My current plan has more data than I'll need for the month anyway, so I should be fine! And all of my hostels have wifi so that's also another reason I decided not to bother with the pocket wifi. A lot of hassle for something I won't use toooo much of.

Make sure you download google maps for the cities you're going to so you can use it offline.

Scratch that. Maps of Japan isn't available to download offline. You'll need some wifi.

N0VAM0D

Make sure you download google maps for the cities you're going to so you can use it offline.

Scratch that. Maps of Japan isn't available to download offline. You'll need some wifi.

Sort of sucks that Japan isn't available offline, I guess I'll be using my 3G most days then! Ah well, not a huge deal, it's still pretty cheap anyway

hirokazu

Sort of sucks that Japan isn't available offline, I guess I'll be using my 3G most days then! Ah well, not a huge deal, it's still pretty cheap anyway
You can get 4G SIM cards at airports or at the giant electronics stores like Yodobashi and Bic Camera. Many of them are designed for tourists and should have English telling you what you get, though I don't remember. They should be cheaper than using data roaming.

If you're eligible for Telstra Air, it's a good idea to activate it before you travel, there's a decent amount of free Fon hotspots you can connect to:
https://fon.com/maps/

If you're going to Tokyo, you can also pick up a free pocket Wi-Fi device for three days at a time for ¥5000 deposit (you have to bring your passport as well) from various places within Sumida Ward:
http://visit-sumida.jp/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/wifi.pdf

Quasar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom