• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Energy gives me a real board game feel. I wonder if they will be represented by token cards, or if they will have game pieces. Will there be "5 energy" cards/pieces?

ultron87

Can it be dealt damage and destroyed without being crewed?

With the rules currently, it couldn't, since the state based action that kills stuff based on damage only applies to creatures. But they could certainly change that rule. Of course then they'd also need to print something that does damage to permanents.

Firemind

And those fit with an artifact-y world how? Literally the whole thing about gremlins is that they poke around with machines.
Image.ashx

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Energy is interesting. The closest comparison I can think of is Eldrazi spawn. Eldrazi spawn are one of the best mechanics they've ever done for just how versatile they are; you can block with them, sacrifice them for mana, or sacrifice them for other effects, and so you make a ton of decisions around "what do I need more right now"

Right off the bat Energy seems more limited. You get the counters. You spend them on things. I really really want to see what cards there are

Santiako

Energy gives me a real board game feel. I wonder if they will be represented by token cards, or if they will have game pieces. Will there be "5 energy" cards/pieces?

It'll be just like Experience Counters or Infect. There'll be a token card and you'll put dice on top of it.

Unlimited Power - 3R
Sorcery
Take any number of energy counters and fling them right in target opponent's face. You deal that much damage to him or her.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Energy is interesting. The closest comparison I can think of is Eldrazi spawn. Eldrazi spawn are one of the best mechanics they've ever done for just how versatile they are; you can block with them, sacrifice them for mana, or sacrifice them for other effects, and so you make a ton of decisions around "what do I need more right now"

Right off the bat Energy seems more limited. You get the counters. You spend them on things. I really really want to see what cards there are

I assume for limited purposes there are cards that spend energy that don't actually make any, and vice-versa.

Ashodin

Energy is amazing and makes it feel like a real artifact set

I'm getting Mirrodin vibes (in terms of "this is a real deal artifact set")

Fabricate/vehicle synergy is pretty obvious. I'm digging this so far.

What's clearly going on here is instead of a bunch of completely different mechanics, we have a few that all interact together and feed the same themes. Good for an artifact block, and similar to some of the best blocks of the past (Innistrad is very much in this mode, for example.)

How do those mechanic make me feel like an inventor?

Energy is an engine mechanic which by being hemmed in to energy cards in Kaladesh can be way more open-ended and flexible. There's gonna be a bunch of smaller cards that generate and use it and you'll "invent" by stringing them together in weird ways.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I can't see how, damage universally specifies "creature or player". Nothing says "3 damage to target permanent"

With the rules currently, it couldn't, since the state based action that kills stuff based on damage only applies to creatures. But they could certainly change that rule. Of course then they'd also need to print something that does damage to permanents.

That's what I figured. I see a lot of salty/misinformed casual players arguing about this in the future. Heh.

Ashodin

Charlequin there's got to be a vehicle with an eject seat that untaps your creature you used to power it if it crashes

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
How does AM's energy mechanic work? If you sac an Eldrazi does it count? I think it *should* despite the wording - tokens go to the graveyard, they're just removed from the game as a state-based action.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What's clearly going on here is instead of a bunch of completely different mechanics, we have a few that all interact together and feed the same themes. Good for an artifact block, and similar to some of the best blocks of the past (Innistrad is very much in this mode, for example.)

Is their (and the audience's) affinity for faction mechanics actually biting them in the ass designwise? Maybe this is part of the problem, making mechanics that both inform different faction "vibes" and also have synergy seems like it would be a lot harder than making mechanics like these that all work together and then working out what the different play strategies within that framework are going to be.

BFZ had tons of other flaws to be sure, but in Limited I'd certainly say one of them was that the Eldrazi and the Ally sides didn't play together at all, so you got shafted by whoever managed to scoop up more of theirs first

kirblar

How does AM's energy mechanic work? If you sac an Eldrazi does it count? I think it *should* despite the wording - tokens go to the graveyard, they're just removed from the game as a state-based action.
It doesn't. See: Kalitas.
Is their (and the audience's) affinity for faction mechanics actually biting them in the ass designwise? Maybe this is part of the problem, making mechanics that both inform different faction "vibes" and also have synergy seems like it would be a lot harder than making mechanics like these that all work together and then working out what the different play strategies within that framework are going to be.
This and the "MUST DO TEN PAIRS EVERY SET" thing would suggest yes.

ultron87

Yeah, saccing Eldrazi or Clues totally works. Unless Rest in Peace is in play.

Angry Grimace

It doesn't. See: Kalitas.

I don't get what you're saying - that isn't an explanation of what you think happens, nor is it even clear what you're trying to say. Kalitas doesn't seem to have any kind of relationship to this.

The rules state that a creature “dies” if it is put into a graveyard from the battlefield. Tokens do in fact die for purposes of cards like Zulaport Cutthroat.

You want the red creatures in an artifact set to be dedicated to hulk-smash destroying those artifacts and yet WotC are the ones who hate red. :p

Energy gives me a real board game feel.

In chat multiple people I was talking to were all like "this is a Dominion mechanic!!" at the exact same time. If you've played a lot of Dominion the strategic value of temporary vs. persistent resources becomes really obvious.

Charlequin there's got to be a vehicle with an eject seat that untaps your creature you used to power it if it crashes

omg yes

kirblar

I don't get what you're saying - that isn't an explanation of what you think happens, nor is it even clear what you're trying to say. Kalitas doesn't seem to have any kind of relationship to this.

The rules state that a creature “dies” if it is put into a graveyard from the battlefield. Tokens do in fact die for purposes of cards like Zulaport Cutthroat.
Then you get energy counters. Why ask the question if you know the answer?

Angry Grimace

Then you get energy counters. Why ask the question if you know the answer?

Because I don't know all of the rules interactions and I know the rules very well, but there are lots of interactions I don't actually understand as well as I think I do.

I mean, given you thought it didn't work that way, it seems like its a valid question. "Put in the graveyard" written out on the card is a little-less obvious because on its face, it might mean that it's actually placed there.

El Topo

Energy is an engine mechanic which by being hemmed in to energy cards in Kaladesh can be way more open-ended and flexible. There's gonna be a bunch of smaller cards that generate and use it and you'll "invent" by stringing them together in weird ways.

So it doesn't have anything to do with inventing, okay.

ultron87

I enjoy that the Vehicle crewing is really more like the creature jumping in, turning the keys, and jumping out with the pedal stuck down.

Yeef

I'm curious about the color-pie factor of energy. Red and Green are typically the ramp colors, but it's not really ramp. I can't imagine it'll only be on artifacts. I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up in every color as a rider to some simple cards. Something along these lines:

Giant Growth + G
Instant
Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn. You get {z}.

kirblar

Because I don't know all of the rules interactions and I know the rules very well, but there are lots of interactions I don't actually understand as well as I think I do.

I mean, given you thought it didn't work that way, it seems like its a valid question. "Put in the graveyard" written out on the card is a little-less obvious because on its face, it might mean that it's actually placed there.
I assumed something had changed because of Kalitas, not having really read the card closely ever. It's just jarring to have the person asking the question spell out the rules interaction in their next post.

Is their (and the audience's) affinity for faction mechanics actually biting them in the ass designwise?

I think that's part of it. The factions aren't universally bad -- Ravnica and Khans are two of the best large sets ever, IMO -- but it takes a lot of work to overlap them and it mostly works if you have some primary underlying theme that they're just supporting.

I do think it's possible that binary faction splits are just not good. Both attempts to do that have had major issues with mechanics fitting together.

Angry Grimace

I assumed something had changed because of Kalitas, not having really read the card closely ever. It's just jarring to have the person asking the question spell out the rules interaction in their next post.

I've been convinced a card interaction works one way when it doesn't dozens of times.

Considering there are only three mechanics in the set, it's likely that energy will see far more major support than the Eldrazi Processors did.

Time for Second harvest to spike with energy lol , is energy tokens ? I would assume that works

Energy uses counters, not tokens. It will work with proliferate, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom